Sologamy

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 10:35 am
http://www.wusa9.com/news/features/people-are-marrying-themselves-its-called-sologamy/439308288

BROOKLYN (CBS) - If the secret to a happy marriage is finding the right person, we can all stop looking. At least, according to "sologamists." They're part of a growing relationship trend, in which people are tying the knot to themselves.

Erika Anderson is one of them.

“I would describe it as women saying yes to themselves,” Anderson said. “It means that we are enough, even if we are not partnered with someone else."

In many ways, the 37-year-old bride looked like any other on her wedding day. She wore a white dress and had a bouquet. Anderson looked stunning with the Brooklyn bridge and New York City skyline behind her.

Except when she walked down the aisle, no one was waiting for her. That’s just the way she wanted it.

PREVIOUS: Local Couple gets engaged and married on same day

Anderson said she grew tired of people asking why she was still single. So, in front of family and friends she married herself.

Self-marriage—or sologamy—is growing. Partly because it’s popping up in pop culture, like when an episode of ‘Sex and the City’ floated the idea.

Now, the movement has gone global and companies are trying to capitalize.

“Marry Yourself” in Canada offers consulting and wedding photography. There’s also IMarriedMe.com, launched by San Francisco man Jeffrey Levin. His site offers sologamy ceremony kits, which includes a wedding band, daily affirmation cards and vows.

"I think it's increased over the years, and it's something that's becoming more understood and more accepted,” Levin said.

PREVIOUS: Getting married? 5 things to consider when combining your finances

Anderson married herself to celebrate independence and believes others should, too.

"You're worth it!" Anderson exclaimed.

Anderson just celebrated her one-year anniversary with a solo trip to Mexico. She said even though she's married to herself, she's dating and open to marrying another person.

After all, in the eyes of the law, self-marriage is not a legally binding union.

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,663 • Replies: 14

Lash

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
I found the one for me!
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 11:43 am
No need to worry about the wedding night... you're sure to make a good fist of it.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 07:41 pm
@centrox,
I'm sure you roughly ridden British chaps may require fist-sized objects, but far too much for me, thanks.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 08:08 pm
Seems selfish and angsty to me. Not very stable either.

I can see being single, but the pomp and circumstance of marrying oneself? Ridiculous. How about pretending you're part of the Human race and learn to deal with other people.
ekename

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 08:10 pm
@edgarblythe,

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 08:28 pm
Yeah, McG. Seems the whole thing is designed to thumb noses at convention, yet their marriage is cowing to convention, so fail.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 08:33 pm
It looks like a fun thing, with no down side to me.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 09:26 pm
I would insist on a pre-nup.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 04:30 am
If I get bored in my own company, can I then have a divorce from myself?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 05:57 am
Isn't she cheating on herself when she dates?

(Strikes me as just another self-indulgence act from the Generation Z kids who don't know how to socialize with other human beings anyway.)

Edited: oops, I see she's 37. Well, then she just doesn't want to be known as an old maid.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 06:05 am
@PUNKEY,
The articles about this state that she is still free to date and if she chooses, marry somebody else if she wants to.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 09:14 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I can see being single, but the pomp and circumstance of marrying oneself? ...

One word: attention. Another word: presents.

I recall a 'singularity ceremony' on Doonesbury at least 20 years ago. This is nothing new.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 09:50 am
@edgarblythe,
The downside is conceptual confusion raised upon traditional meaning.
Its noise. This is one good example were a bit of conservantism keeps the world sane.
Far wako left is just as dangerous as the far right. Ultra relativism disolves any frame of reference..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 10:15 am
Elvis Presley was going to bring down civilization. I guess sologamy will finish off what he started.
0 Replies