Sickening

Larry434

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:59 am
edgarblythe wrote:
This thread is as blindly partisan as the actions it decries.

Nothing new about that.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
I think the real point here is that the Dems tend to embrace their fringe wackos, even when they say, "F**& America." That is what causes people to assume that the fringe speaks for the whole party, whether it is true or not.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
Someone needs to embrace us.

After all it is the "fringe wackos" who have made America great, not the "respectable mainstream" who continues to be sickened by the expression of free speech.

The "fringe wackos" have consistently sickened America by expressing -- often with great anger -- their opposition to slavery, racism and war.

But the wackos have often been successful. Women have the vote. Interracial marriages are legal. Schools are segregated and wars are questioned. And this happened in spite of the fact that conservatives were quite sickened by the idea of sharing a drinking fountain with a "negro", having women steal the jobs of men, or having to work with Jews.

Every society, from Imperial Rome, to the Monarchies of old Europe to Stalin of the Soviets to Saddam in Iraq had their loyal citizens, who pledged allegiance to their country and fealty to their leaders.

What makes America great is the lunatic fringe. Since the time lunatic wackos started the revolution and gained American independence, those who question societies beliefs and challenge authority have had a special place on our country and our politics. Often we have broken laws, for example the Underground railroad to free the slaves, and often we have been justifiably angry.

I am sorry if it sickens you, but thats freedom and democracy. If you love America, you should be glad that we are around.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:13 am
ebrown_p wrote:
What makes America great is the lunatic fringe.

Err.........I don't think that I would couch it quite in those terms. What the lunatic fringe DOES do, IMO, is become the catalyst to get other Americans to sit up and take notice. which IS a good thing. In order for this country to remain strong we must always question authority, and not get too comfortable with the status quo.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
Idaho wrote:
I think the real point here is that the Dems tend to embrace their fringe wackos, even when they say, "F**& America." That is what causes people to assume that the fringe speaks for the whole party, whether it is true or not.

ebrown_p wrote:

After all it is the "fringe wackos" who have made America great, not the "respectable mainstream" who continues to be sickened by the expression of free speech.

The "fringe wackos" have consistently sickened America by expressing -- often with great anger -- their opposition to slavery, racism and war.

It appears ebrown_p believes the "fringe wackos" in SF are the constituency of the Democratic party, and that's a good thing.

Personally, I try to distance myself from the "nutty" right-wingers out there (e.g., the "God Hates Fags" types that live a little to my north). That's because they do not represent my views. I suppose if I thought like ebrown_p I would think, "But someone has to embrace these wacky nutty bible-thumping kooks. Who better than me?" But I don't think that way.

You can keep your "lunatic fringe," and I'd be grateful if you'd take mine as well.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:22 am
On a sad note I just heard on Atlanta radio that a University of GA student went the ground zero and killed himself over the election. We can't take it that serious, if democrats take the white house in 2008 the world will still turn, if you know someone this distraught please help them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:27 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38427
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:29 am
Thanks phoenix I missed a lot this weekend.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
Don't get me wrong - having dissenting opinions and voices IS America - I agree with you on that. Where I draw the line is with the "F*&! America" crowd, such as many of the folks in the pictures that started this thread. The dissenters of the past tended to come from a perspective of wanting to improve this country that they loved, not wanting to destroy this country that they hated. The folks running around saying this country is a waste and that they want to leave - they are the problem. The one expressing their opinions about where we are and trying to effect change - bravo! I may not agree with you, but you have every right to do it.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
Idaho wrote:
Don't get me wrong - having dissenting opinions and voices IS America - I agree with you on that. Where I draw the line is with the "F*&! America" crowd, such as many of the folks in the pictures that started this thread. The dissenters of the past tended to come from a perspective of wanting to improve this country that they loved, not wanting to destroy this country that they hated. The folks running around saying this country is a waste and that they want to leave - they are the problem. The one expressing their opinions about where we are and trying to effect change - bravo! I may not agree with you, but you have every right to do it.

Good point. And I want to add that this Thursday remember the people that fought to give these misguided souls the right to protest anything in the USA.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:46 am
cannistershot wrote:
Idaho wrote:

Good point. And I want to add that this Thursday remember the people that fought to give these misguided souls the right to protest anything in the USA.

Hear, Hear!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:50 am
Idaho wrote:

Factually, the sign read "F**& Middle America.

Many of us can sympathize with this sentiment.

I am here, I love my country, and I am not leaving. I am still mighty upset with "middle America" on several counts.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Factually, the sign read "F**& Middle America.

Many of us can sympathize with this sentiment.

I am here, I love my country, and I am not leaving. I am still mighty upset with "middle America" on several counts.

Why are you upset with "middle America"? And when you use that term are you referring to that huge swash of red in between California and Pennsylvania?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:33 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

But the wackos have often been successful. Women have the vote. Interracial marriages are legal. Schools are segregated and wars are questioned. And this happened in spite of the fact that conservatives were quite sickened by the idea of sharing a drinking fountain with a "negro", having women steal the jobs of men, or having to work with Jews.

Every society, from Imperial Rome, to the Monarchies of old Europe to Stalin of the Soviets to Saddam in Iraq had their loyal citizens, who pledged allegiance to their country and fealty to their leaders.

What makes America great is the lunatic fringe. Since the time lunatic wackos started the revolution and gained American independence, those who question societies beliefs and challenge authority have had a special place on our country and our politics. Often we have broken laws, for example the Underground railroad to free the slaves, and often we have been justifiably angry.

I am sorry if it sickens you, but thats freedom and democracy. If you love America, you should be glad that we are around.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:47 pm
A Lone Voice wrote:

I'm glad you said 'my guess'. Otherwise someone might think you actually put some thought into that completely fictional drivel. Come on ALV, do you really believe that? Did Clinton quash dissent? Are you maybe confusing the desire for rigorous thought in our compatriots with an intolerance for other views?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
Figures, you'd stand up to be counted with these fools Ebrown. I think I actually like that in you. Courage and consistency are admirable traits. But you're out in left field if you think these idiots have much to do with what makes this country great. Sure, they stretch the level of tolerance to the point ordinary people don't need to fear losing their freedoms... but that's only a great act when said freedoms are in danger of being lost in the first place. Michael Moore is carrying that torch unmolested. So when you remove that possible Larry Flint-like reasoning, what's left? That's right: Selfish idiocy. The only effect these idiots provide that rises to the level of greatness is tolerance for idiocy. We can all be proud of that.

Maybe you can crop a new avatar out of that last picture.

http://www.zombietime.com/sf_rally_november_3_2004/143-4360_IMG.JPG

Oh yeah… and just to be fair: ALV… I was amazed to see someone post a more ridiculous opinion than Larry did, when he tried claiming these idiots were indicative of the left in general. No worries Larry, as dumb as that was, you're out of the cellar. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:33 pm
Quote:

I will remind you that it was the Nazi's who used their flag, national pride, and a call for unity to win the mindless support of the German people. The Nazi's relied on Unity and very efficient at stomping out any "wacko luntic fringe" that would dissent..

Don't you wish there were more of the "wacko lunatic fringe" in Germany at that time?
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:35 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
The pics define the Dem party that the electorate delivered a crushing defeat to last week.

This is as absurd as the idiots in the pictures.

Takes a special kind of blind partisanship to write off whole sides on account of their extremists.

This is the equivalent of the left's denigration of the right on the basis of the distasteful folk who celebrate when gays die of AIDS and hold up signs saying "God hates fags".

If you want a cheap pot shot you might want to ensure that it is not one that reflects on your own ability to reason more than the broad group you attempt to denigrate.

A politician and a political party are defined by their constituents, simple as that.
[/b]

If what you say is true about a politician and a political party being defined by their constituents then you are saying the Log Cabin Republicans define the Republican party. :wink: :wink:

As Craven stated, their are extremists on both sides of the aisle and I don't believe those extremists speak for their party. They rather speak for their own selfish agenda.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:37 pm
I was amazed to see someone post a more ridiculous opinion than Larry did, when he tried claiming these idiots were indicative of the left in general. No worries Larry, as dumb as that was, you're out of the cellar.

Thanks Bill. I haven't been able to sleep with that burden you laid on me. :wink:
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:43 pm
Idaho wrote:

Now that is going a bit far. I don't think either party embraces their fringe wackos (as you put it). Why would either party want a minorty to define them? Nope. That statement is just w-r-o-n-g.
0 Replies