How do you feel about people showing up uninvited?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:27 pm
Yeah, it actually is amusing to me..

I can see that I wasn't entirely afraid of that knock - knocks have import, in particular. Not just seemingly friendly, but variations. So, I admit I must've been acting out of more towards aggravation than fear, though it was a combo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:27 pm
It is fun, or if not fun, engaging...
to look at y'old self and try to be truthful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:31 am
Enlarging the category of Flawed Guests...

What about the people who say, "We'll be there for lunch at 1:00. They arrive at 3:00--or even later--saying "late start" or "decided to stop at the flea market" or "the kids were too hungry to wait" or "such a nice day, we stopped to give the dog a good run"?

Thank you. I feel better now.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:40 am
Noddy- Flawed! Those guests are on my "I'll never invite them again as long as I live", list.

Egads, if I am going to be 10 minutes late, I will call ahead.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:55 pm
ossobuco wrote:
To nimh and anyone still reading -

Rereading the thread and taking it from a later comment that there might be something frightened and weirdish in my not opening the door in West Los Angeles at midnight by a loud knocker...

Osso

I didnt refer to your midnight knocker - and wouldnt have.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:59 pm
I was referring to all unannounced guests being unwelcome (mentioned in several posts).

That struck me - from my personal cultural or age angle or perspective or whatever - as kinda weird - or as very different, anyway.

Loud knocks on your door at midnight, in LA no less, are a different story altogether, obviously. Can't really see how my post can be read as saying that that should be happily and self-evidently welcomed as well.

<shrugs>
0 Replies

sabrina bella lopez

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:42 pm
Bugger off.... please!
ok, I have enough trouble talking to people on th phone...and they do it all the time...for hours....I hate it when people just rock up at my house unannounced and un-invited....I need arrival times, damnit! The boyfreind gets into trouble with me because he says he'll be at my place at a certain time and then he rocks up 45 mins later....I hate peple coming to m house, full stop...so I'm out all the time...never home....DONT SAVE ME DINNER, NAN!!!!!!
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:22 pm
I live in the country, so I don't have alot of problems in this area, except from IN-LAWS. Nosy IN-LAWS, My Mother-in-Law to be exact.

Sometimes I'm civil, others I-m reclusive. She does not care for me and I have always thought in-laws were just EXTRA people you don't really need, but must tolerate on behalf of your spouse.

I just do what I feel at the time, as tactfully as possible. (But some people don't allow you to use tact, and you must respect their rights and treat them accordinly).

We live in on the river and get a lot of what I call "Summer Ducks", People you only see to who like the view or your boat ramp, hunters, jet skiers etc. They use the river for pleasure and expect to be entertained, when they come. If I don't feel like messing w/em, I ask them to "help" me with some chore. (Refer to another thread on getting rid of friends). Work is 100% effective in removing unwanted guests.
0 Replies

Krysia

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 01:48 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Noddy- Flawed! Those guests are on my "I'll never invite them again as long as I live", list.

Egads, if I am going to be 10 minutes late, I will call ahead.
Haha, I run on "Cuban time". Everyone down here shows up at LEAST 15 minutes late. It's customary. My boyfriend is not from down here, so his concept of time is "be 15 minutes early". Since we started dating, my Cuban time has gotten better (I'm not *as* late) and he's starting to relax a bit. Being 10 minutes late over here is nothing at all. HOURS late, however, is rude.

This horrible false friend used to show up at my house unannounced, any time within a 24 hour period. It pissed me off. She would hound me on the phone, but even when I would avoid her calls, she'd still come over. It got to the point where I'd be driving home and see her car waiting for me!! Soon, I'd just turn right around and drive somewhere else. THEN, when she was inside my house, she'd help herself to all our food!! Because of her, I just don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone or I get a call first.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:21 pm
I guess I'm a hippie of sorts. I always have a candle burning in the window. Most of my friends and family have a key ( just in case I get locked out) but the point is moot anyway...My doors are never locked, unless I go out of town for a few days.
The only person I wish would call is my dad. He's found me in some rather sticky situations. He calls more often now. But the unexpected drop ins keep me motivated to keep the house presentable.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:21 am
Krysia wrote:
[

This horrible false friend used to

You say used to, how did you finally get rid of her?

PS. Welcome Aboard, you sound like alot of fun. I'll be interested in your posts...
0 Replies

Krysia

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:11 pm
It was VERY hard. We had been friends since the ages of 4 and 5. She went to a different HS in a different city, and we became different people. I became a studious nerd who spend weekends volunteering. She got a criminal record, began doing drugs, and other not-so-great things. When we rekindled our friendship in college (we went to the same one), I had no idea that she'd become so horrible, because it was like the good old days. Little by little, though, she separated me from my real friends and my family. She zapped me of self-esteem because she was so emotionally abusive. She intimidated me into being her slave. I had to do everything she wanted, which was basically just to be a doormat.

Why didn't I just tell her to buzz off? Because she was CRAZY. She'd make a huge scene in a public place, and then accuse any female who looked at her (because she was being loud and obnoxious) as "looking at her bad" and tried to start a fight. She also liked starting trouble with women who were better looking than she was, just because she had to be the best looking girl in the room! Whenever someone crossed her, she'd start a fight, EVEN if it was just in a car, and they passed her in the lane!! She'd follow people just to tell them off later! Once, she even phoned authorities, falsely accusing someone of RAPE. She was a loon!! Naturally, I was terrified of ending the friendship, even though she did drive me to the point of suicide (I was in counselling for 16 weeks because of it) because of the emotional abuse and bullying. It sounds too crazy to be true, but sadly, it's authentic.

I had to use my psychology skills. I realized that she was using me as her flunky because I made it easy for her to take advantage of me. So I basically made myself a closed door. I loaded myself up with classes and extracurriculars so that I always had a valid excuse for not doing her any favors. I even went so far as to find out her schedule each semester so that I could plan my classes to be on a different campus and/or time! Whenever we did cross paths, I acted like whatever I was doing was far more interesting and important than what she had to say or what she had to tell me to do. I didn't accept any of her phone calls, and whenever she demanded that I let her into my house, I'd say "Fine, but no one's going to be home" and then head over to the bookstore or someplace quiet. I always made it so that I was too busy to do her bidding. She tried leaving nasty notes on my car whenever she saw it in the parking lot at the university, but what I started doing was just tossing them out without even reading them. When she found out about this, she got pissed off, sure. But she finally got the picture.

She didn't just disappear. It took me nearly 2 years. I started the process in the summer of 2002 and by the summer of 2004 she was gone. After she found out that I was no longer an option, she started using my younger sister in the same way. My sister and her are still friends, although my sister is on her guard. I wish she wouldn't talk to her at all, but my sister "hates to throw away a nearly two decade old friendship". But I never see her anymore. She phoned the house once to supposedly "catch up" but I ended the conversation after like 30 seconds because I "had something to do". I had to take a nap. Laughing I feel that she will probably keep trying every now and agan to get back into my life, but I won't be fooled a second time. It's sad that she was able to use our childhood friendship for nefarious purposes, but I think that overall, the experience made me a stronger person. After I met my fiance, we learned that we both had "friends" that did the same thing to each of us, so we really related to that!

Sorry this was long and very off-topic, but I still can't send PMs. ^^;
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:43 pm
Krysia....WOW! I agree you learned a lot from this situation. We used to call it "A blessing in disguise."

I really like you, Krysia, you sound so emotionally smart for a young 'un. I hope you keep posting here and tell us all about your soon-to-be-marriage.
--------------------------------
Back to topic, my personal preference is that Nobody show up unannounced!

We have a long, hidden driveway. Good friends are always welcome, but I know their cars.....what I really hate is strangers who drive up the driveway (at the end of a long dirt road) and beep their horns, expecting me to come out and give them directions, or even worse, buy a pressure-wash or some bad meat from them!

This, with THREE "Beware of Dog" signs in the driveway! I'm often tempted to just let the dogs out, but I never have, figuring I'll get sued for dog-bites.

One couple drove up & let their toy dog out of the car, peeing all over our own cars. The woman said, "I KNOW this is [address here] but where is [address]?" Oh, how I wanted to let out our dogs, who would think a toy dog was such a nice snack! I didn't, and for that I congratulate myself.

I believe Americans are much more rude than, say, the Dutch, or almost anyone in some other country....Thus an explanation for all those guards at the gate and such.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:16 am
Boris: We used to not be. I think it's the ME FIRST GENERATION that has caused us to become so informal. Then it gets down to a level like that last post where being nice, just brings being taken advantage of to a new level.

DRUGS and such are always a down cycle. Most of us have been conditioned to offer "help" to all. It's sad this is so prevelant. IMO the way to go is to find some way for it to be an unpleasant "visit" w/o sinking to their level. WORK is still the best solution for "friends", but those infernal "Sales" people... TRY a NO SOLICITING Sign, then dial the authorities for those who ignore. I hate the PHONE SALES CALLS AT Home. What do you do w/those besides hang up? They Outlawed the National DO NO CALL list.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 04:57 pm
You know, I think the chick with the toy dog was on drugs. I almost hope she was! Can't imagine that being her "normal" behavior.

Speaking of phone sales calls, in Florida, we have a statewide Do Not Call List, and it works fabulously. I think we pay $5.00 a year, and not ONE sales call since we joined!

Didn't know they outlawed the National one!
0 Replies