Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:59 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I should pay closer attention to all this.

Maybe you could turn the light on for Finn while you're at it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm
OK. Has he been bad?

It is getting harder for me to take all the overheated hype and rationaliztion seriously.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:14 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
It is getting harder for me to take all the overheated hype and rationaliztion seriously.

I agree... on both sides.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:21 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
OK. Has he been bad?

No, I just don't think he knows any black people:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Democrats embracing Jesus.

Whoa, that's a concept I'm not sure I can get my head around.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:29 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

I agree... on both sides.

I'll drink to that.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:27 pm
Quote:
You know, sometimes I go two or three days at a time without even thinking of John Leahy, Nancy Pelosi, Al Sharpton, Hillary Clinton and the other icons of the Democrat circus. I don't care where they came from, and don't worry about how they got their money.

Little testy there aren't you george? Did the comment about where they made their money especially bother you somehow? They're all a bunch of flies on the back of the lamb of God.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Finn D'Abuzz wrote:
I do find interesting Sozobe's suggestion that in embracing Jesus, Democrats will need to be careful that they don't sacrifice any of their core values. I would just like to know what core values of the Democrats are inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus, not because I am trying to set a trap for anyone, but because I'm curious.

Finn, I said exactly the opposite. That the nice thing about Democrats going ahead with the bible argot and embracing Christians is that it is IN KEEPING with their core values.

sozobe wrote:
I do think that the secular identification is hurting Democrats, and a willingness to speak in the bible argot -- helping the poor, etc. -- could help and most importantly is not against the core values of the party. It's not making things up, it's a matter of terminology.

(New emphasis.)

Perhaps I misread the following (also from sozobe)

Jesus himself prolly would've been more likely to be a commie pinko Democrat than a Republican. There's nothing wrong with Democrats embracing that concept while staying true to their core values.

It was a misreading of what I meant, I'll leave it to others to say whether I expressed it clearly or not. (It's clear to me, but it would be, I know my own mind pretty well... ;-))

I think the operative word is while. Not "despite", or "being careful to", or "even though they need to". Whole point is that "while" is not a big deal -- the core values are already very much in keeping with the concept of embracing Christianity.

Fair enough.

I'm not about to try and tell you what you mean't.

Too bad though. It was a much more interesting comment the way I read it. Cool
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:37 pm
PDiddie wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
OK. Has he been bad?

No, I just don't think he knows any black people:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Democrats embracing Jesus.

Whoa, that's a concept I'm not sure I can get my head around.

Selective reading there PDiddie.

If you had read on you would have found I also wrote:

"Now before anyone goes nuts, I do not think Democrats are godless heathens nor that Christian Democrat is an oxymoron."

"The problem has not really been that Democrat values are not consistent with Christian teachings, it has been the seeming disdain for all things religious (and particularly Christian) expressed by Liberal activists, and intelligentsia."

Now the light has been turned on for you.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:46 pm
Now turn it back off, wouldja?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:04 pm
finn, perhaps channeling Coulter, blurted
Quote:
"The problem has not really been that Democrat values are not consistent with Christian teachings, it has been the seeming disdain for all things religious (and particularly Christian) expressed by Liberal activists, and intelligentsia."

How silly this is. Who, after all, would be the converse of 'intelligent sia'? The unbright ians. There's a community of achievers to clambor towards.

But you intend, of course, a cliched hack at the educated. Education makes you stupider and if you stay uneducated, well boy you are then really at the peak of intellectual achievement. So puff up with pride, Mr Everyman, for not reading.

You ought to walk into a religious studies survey course at any university, finn. Liberals as far as your myopia might peer. Or pick up a book by someone like Elaine Pagels, professor, Christian and as intelligent a lady as you are ever going to bump into. And then compare her book to one by Falwell or Robertson or Grapham. Disdain is an appropriate response for that group of three dwarf-minds.

Creation Science in the schools. Disdain is an appropriate response. The 'Left Behind' books. Disdain is an appropriate response.

Read Augustine, and if you have even a nonce of brains and curiosity and love of learning, he'll knock you on your bum.

Unlike the rich Catholic and Anglican traditions, the protestant community in America has produced no religious philospher worth a pinch of coonshit. The best they've got is Alvin Plantinga, and that's not saying much.

There's a reason for this. The happy promotion of unbrightia.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
Well now. That certainly backed up Finn's thesis didn't it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:20 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

How silly this is. Who, after all, would be the converse of 'intelligent sia'? The unbright ians. There's a community of achievers to clambor towards.

But you intend, of course, a cliched hack at the educated. Education makes you stupider and if you stay uneducated, well boy you are then really at the peak of intellectual achievement. So puff up with pride, Mr Everyman, for not reading.

You ought to walk into a religious studies survey course at any university, finn. Liberals as far as your myopia might peer. Or pick up a book by someone like Elaine Pagels, professor, Christian and as intelligent a lady as you are ever going to bump into. And then compare her book to one by Falwell or Robertson or Grapham. Disdain is an appropriate response for that group of three dwarf-minds.

Creation Science in the schools. Disdain is an appropriate response. The 'Left Behind' books. Disdain is an appropriate response.

Read Augustine, and if you have even a nonce of brains and curiosity and love of learning, he'll knock you on your bum.

Unlike the rich Catholic and Anglican traditions, the protestant community in America has produced no religious philospher worth a pinch of coonshit. The best they've got is Alvin Plantinga, and that's not saying much.

blatham

You prove my point with this repsonse.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:02 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

blatham

You prove my point with this repsonse.

I don't follow your logic, there, Finn. I don't see disdain for anything Christian.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:03 pm
Yes, of course I did. It was inevitable.

Creation Science in the schools...you big on that one finn?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:10 pm
blaham wrote:

Perhaps worth saying, in that context, is that Plantinga is Notre Dame's tame Calvinist.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:49 pm
blatham wrote:

A liberal with a cause is a boring fellow blatham. You're taking these discussions and yourself far too seriously.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:52 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:

A liberal with a cause is a boring fellow blatham. You're taking these discussions and yourself far too seriously.

Ah, yes, if you can't refute the argument then attack the messenger. BZZZ - thank you for playing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:56 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:

Ah, yes, if you can't refute the argument then attack the messenger. BZZZ - thank you for playing.

merlin - I'm sure you have curried great favor with blatham, now run along.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:58 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:

merlin - I'm sure you have curried great favor with blatham, now run along.

Nah.

If you have something interesting to say, I'd love to hear it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:28 pm
Fascinating repartee.
0 Replies