Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:12 pm
(Meanwhile, at some point can we stop talking about red states like they're monoliths? I live in a red state, by some 136,000 votes -- that's not much of a margin. That means there were a whole lot of people who were ready to make this a blue state. Winner takes all means that all of the electors go to one candidate or another, but it doesn't mean that everyone's mind suddenly goes to one candidate or another, too. People who voted blue still think blue after the elections, even if their state went red. And there are a lot of them -- in every single state.) (I loved nimh's purple map...)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:14 pm
sozobe wrote:
Finn D'Abuzz wrote:
I do find interesting Sozobe's suggestion that in embracing Jesus, Democrats will need to be careful that they don't sacrifice any of their core values. I would just like to know what core values of the Democrats are inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus, not because I am trying to set a trap for anyone, but because I'm curious.

Finn, I said exactly the opposite. That the nice thing about Democrats going ahead with the bible argot and embracing Christians is that it is IN KEEPING with their core values.

sozobe wrote:
I do think that the secular identification is hurting Democrats, and a willingness to speak in the bible argot -- helping the poor, etc. -- could help and most importantly is not against the core values of the party. It's not making things up, it's a matter of terminology.

(New emphasis.)

Perhaps I misread the following (also from sozobe)

Jesus himself prolly would've been more likely to be a commie pinko Democrat than a Republican. There's nothing wrong with Democrats embracing that concept while staying true to their core values.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:11 am
The Economist argues that the Democrats lost not because Bush campaigned on fear, but because he painted an optimistic scenario for the future and campaigned on it. The Democrats, on the other hand, campaigned on not being Bush and on preserving the status quo. The Economist doesn't think it has to be that way though.

In its November 18 issue, the Economist wrote:

Read on
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Finn D'Abuzz wrote:
I do find interesting Sozobe's suggestion that in embracing Jesus, Democrats will need to be careful that they don't sacrifice any of their core values. I would just like to know what core values of the Democrats are inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus, not because I am trying to set a trap for anyone, but because I'm curious.

Finn, I said exactly the opposite. That the nice thing about Democrats going ahead with the bible argot and embracing Christians is that it is IN KEEPING with their core values.

sozobe wrote:
I do think that the secular identification is hurting Democrats, and a willingness to speak in the bible argot -- helping the poor, etc. -- could help and most importantly is not against the core values of the party. It's not making things up, it's a matter of terminology.

(New emphasis.)

Perhaps I misread the following (also from sozobe)

Jesus himself prolly would've been more likely to be a commie pinko Democrat than a Republican. There's nothing wrong with Democrats embracing that concept while staying true to their core values.

It was a misreading of what I meant, I'll leave it to others to say whether I expressed it clearly or not. (It's clear to me, but it would be, I know my own mind pretty well... ;-))

I think the operative word is while. Not "despite", or "being careful to", or "even though they need to". Whole point is that "while" is not a big deal -- the core values are already very much in keeping with the concept of embracing Christianity.

Interesting article, Thomas.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:26 am
"Thinking blue" is precisely why many believe the Democrats lost. I think it isn't that most Democrats are actually opposed to most of the values held by most of those who turned the red states red, but it is that the Democrats support or refused to disassociate themselves from people who are.

Quote:
According to The New York Times, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, reflecting on her party's recent losses in the presidential, Senate and House elections, asked: ``How did a party that is filled with people with values -- and I am a person with values -- get tagged as the party without values?''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/opinion/10226235.htm

Remainder of article:

Posted on Sun, Nov. 21, 2004

DEMOCRATS
Not attuned with American values

BY DENNIS PRAGER

www.dennisprager.com

According to The New York Times, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, reflecting on her party's recent losses in the presidential, Senate and House elections, asked: ``How did a party that is filled with people with values -- and I am a person with values -- get tagged as the party without values?''

As one who was raised a Democrat and became a Republican 10 years ago, I would like to answer Napolitano's question as honestly as she posed it.

Napolitano, your party does indeed have many people with values in it. But the Democratic Party is no more representative of the average Democrat's values than the National Council of Churches is of the average Protestant's values. Both are far to the left of their membership.

Here is the Democratic Party as most Americans, including this John F. Kennedy liberal -- a New York City-born and -raised, Jewish, Ivy League-educated intellectual who lives in Los Angeles -- see it.

To most Americans, Michael Moore is a Marxist who has utter contempt for most of his fellow Americans, who goes abroad and tells huge audiences how stupid and venal his country is, and in his dishonest propaganda film, portrays the American military as callous buffoons. Yet, this radical was given the most honored seat at the Democratic Party convention in Boston, next to former President Jimmy Carter.

To most Americans, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are race-baiting demagogues. Yet they are heroes to the Democratic Party. Most Americans do not see their country as the bigoted and racist nation regularly depicted by both black and white Democratic leaders.

To most Americans, a man who wears women's clothing to work is a pathetic person in need of psychotherapy. To the Democratic Party, he is a man whose cross-dressing is merely another expression of multiculturalism. The California legislature, controlled by Democrats, passed a law prohibiting employers from firing a man who shows up to work wearing women's clothing.

To most Americans, Eminem is a vulgar nihilist who poisons young Americans' minds. To John Kerry, he was a man whose anti-Bush hate video was worthy of endorsement.

To most Americans, obscenity-filled evenings should be restricted to R-rated films or a Las Vegas comedy act, not a major party's fund raiser attended by its candidates for U.S. president. To Democrats, those who object to such evenings are regarded as judgmental, hypocritical and narrow minded.

To most Americans, Hollywood stars are regarded as terrific to watch in films but also as narcissistic ingrates when, between private jet trips to Cuba and Cannes, they express their contempt for traditional America. That the Democrats have a veritable monopoly on support from folks such as Sean Penn and Robert ''Castro-is-a-great-leader'' Redford may give Democrats a heady feeling, but for tens of millions of Americans, it merely reinforces their belief that the Democratic Party shares Hollywood's values.

To most Americans, the American military is not only heroic; it is regarded as more important to safeguarding freedom than any other human institution, including the ACLU, the United Nations or the university, to cite three major Democratic Party affiliates. To virtually the entire Left, which includes the Democratic Party, the military is, at best, a necessary evil. Otherwise, the overriding doctrine is ''Make love, not war.'' That is why Harvard still refuses to allow ROTC training -- and it is unlikely that either of the Massachusetts senators even finds that wrong, let alone as reprehensible as most Americans do.

To most Americans, gays are fellow Americans who happen to be homosexual and who should be accorded the same respect that any fellow American is accorded. But most Americans also believe that America should retain the millennia-old definition of marriage as man-woman. They regard liberal judges who take it upon themselves to redefine marriage with contempt. And these judges are identified with the Democrats.

Whatever their views on abortion and abortion rights, the vast majority of Americans view the abortion of a viable fetus/baby (partial-birth abortion) as immoral. Kerry and his fellow Democrats repeatedly voted against a ban on this practice.

Napolitano, I hope that this short list answers your question about how it is that your party has gotten tagged as ''the party without values.'' Indeed, the real question is: How has this party retained so many people who have traditional American values?

Dennis Prager is a nationally syndicated radio talk show host, columnist and author of four books, including Think a Second Time.

©2004 Creators Syndicate
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
From the Economist article posted by Thomas:

Quote:
Having built a bridge to the 21st century under Mr Clinton, the Democrats have since been busy building another one back to the 19th century.

That was pretty much it. The backwards thinking mess of radicals running the show is what is and what will continue to sink the Democratic Party.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:48 pm
What does the ole Economist know any how! Poohy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
Speaking of building bridges to the past, I've read that Karl Rove's role model is Mark Hanna, the Ohio boss who got William McKinley into the White House....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
You know what though? I really like young teens one on one--it's in a group that they can be intolerable. And I like most Democrats one on one--it's in a group that they tend to be obnoxious. (Just teasing).

The fact is, if you took each issue, one at a time, without attaching a person or label or ideology to it as it is examined, probably the majority of us, Democrat, Republican et al, would likely be more close than apart on it.

What would be left would be the very legitimate debate over whether government or the private sector and/or federal vs more local government is the best way to deal with the issues that are important to us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:58 pm
hmmm, well since Bush has been all about growth of the federal government, and increased government spending so far, that would mean the Democrats would now have to stand for a decrease in government growth and spending.

interesting twist on things.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:04 pm
ehBeth wrote:
hmmm, well since Bush has been all about growth of the federal government, and increased government spending so far, that would mean the Democrats would now have to stand for a decrease in government growth and spending.

interesting twist on things.

In the last election, the Dems did advocate reduced government spending...for the things the Congress has voted to spend our tax dollars on. But they also proposed to replace that spending with increased spending to fund their desire for a Nanny government.

And they lost resoundingly again.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:05 pm
Of course reaching a consensus means that Democrats would have to be able to separate the discussion from the personas/ideology/party etc. I wonder if Democrats can do that?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:13 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Of course reaching a consensus means that Democrats would have to be able to separate the discussion from the personas/ideology/party etc. I wonder if Democrats can do that?

Doesn't appear so. They seem to refuse to listen to the mainstream and insist on changing the mainstream way of thinking to theirs...with disasterous results to the acceptance of the party's message and messengers by the electorate.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
Does anyone have any intention of taking Foxy and pragmaticone's advice on fixing the Democratic Party?

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Morons.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:41 pm
Hi PDiddie............

It's disgusting around here, I know. But don't go away. I love you.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:53 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Does anyone have any intention of taking Foxy and pragmaticone's advice on fixing the Democratic Party?

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Morons.

You reap what you sow. In this case serial rejection of the Dem message and messenger by the electorate in this decade. Cool
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 09:28 pm
This fellow has a much more interesting insight (than Larry is capable of expressing, anyway):

Quote:
The ability to simultaneously maintain the triumphalism of a mandate, and the sense of being an embattled minority has much to do with the continued political success of the far right. It allows them to maintain the energy and righteousness of opposition even while they claim the most autocratic control of American political institutions since the 1920s. It is also a defensive shield that made it very difficult for Democrats in the past election to treat the Republican right as what it is: the ruling party, and a particularly corrupt one.

The pose of being an embattled minority in a statist and secular culture also helps bring together the economic libertarian and religious right elements of the conservative coalition....

Democrats lose elections and comfort ourselves that our views represent a majority and we just have to convey them better. Republicans win elections and comfort themselves that they are still an embattled minority and need to keep fighting like hell -- ends justify the means and all that -- against the entrenched liberal power.

We're both a little crazy.

Yeah, maybe so, but I would rather think that if anything we're crazy/weird, while they're crazy/dangerous.

And this article from the Washington Post describes the moshing going on in the GOP pit going back to last spring. Look what Denny Hastert's lickspittle said:

Quote:
"It's extremely difficult to govern when you control all three branches of government," says Hastert spokesman John Feehery, a burden of which Democrats would happily relieve them.

Yeah. Hard work. Think I've heard that before.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:01 pm
Take these guys, like Hastert and DeLay and Bush and Rumsfeld. What do they hate more than anything? Government. They can hardly abide government.

Or Norquist and Ralph Reed, take them too. Boy, they really despise government like the devil. Once just poor boozing college kids, they're now extremely wealthy gents. And how did they make their money? By golly, through working for politicians.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:08 pm
well yeah but hey work hard for the money.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:56 pm
You know, sometimes I go two or three days at a time without even thinking of John Leahy, Nancy Pelosi, Al Sharpton, Hillary Clinton and the other icons of the Democrat circus. I don't care where they came from, and don't worry about how they got their money.

Could they be the core of a secret conspiracy? Come to think of it isn't Al Sharpton - a religious preacher !!! Jesse Jackson too !!! And there was John Kerry giving political speeches ... in Churches !!!! That's it ! There must be a hidden plan here, a cabal of pulpit-banging neo-libs bent on an aggressive policy of post-emption in which we boldly kiss ass and bribe our enemies who then stick it to us again. It's all so obviously middle of the road Northern Baptist. These guys positively love government too. But they don't taker money from it - better pickings out there in the hustings peddling pardons, doing creative fund raisers and pocketing the leftover millions from political campaigns.

I should pay closer attention to all this.
0 Replies