Homosexual Marriage defeated by WIDE Margins

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:34 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Coastal Rat what will you do when you get to heaven and they take you to your mansion that has been prepared for you if it turns out to be next door to Freddie Mercury and he's out in the yard in a spandex jumpsuit?

I don't get caught up in what if scenarios, BPB. Makes absolutely no sense to do so. Since you present this to create discourse to belittle Christianity, you will have to pardon my refusal to take the bait here. Sorry.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:34 am
I think we need to calm down and talk about something a little calmer that doesn't get the blood boiling quite a much.....

I'll start with a joke......

What's the worst thing about having sex with a nine year old?

Getting the blood out of your clown suit....

there, now don't we all feel beter?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
Much better, thank you. Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
Damn women for insisting on the vote too.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:40 am
Responding to the post claiming no gay discrimination and citing a nebulous Georgia law:

Again, if you can't understand plain language, it is your falult not mine, discrimination is legal against gays everywhere in the US that doesn't have a state or local ordinance prohibiting it. And gays are being denied marital rights everywhere but Massacusetts. If you want to list all the states and localities that have ordinances, kindly do so, the burden of proof is on you. With that in mind, please post a link to the Georgia State Statute banning discrimination in employment and housing against gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgendered persons.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
Kristie wrote:
Damn women for insisting on the vote too.

Ok sorry but this reminds me of another bad joke. What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? Nothing you have already told her twice. Shocked
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
Harper wrote:
Again, if you can't understand plain language, it is your falult not mine, discrimination is legal against gays everywhere in the US that doesn't have a state or local ordinance prohibiting it. And gays are being denied marital rights everywhere but Massacusetts. If you want to list all the states and localities that have ordinances, kindly do so, the burden of proof is on you. With that in mind, please post a link to the Georgia State Statute banning discrimination in employment and housing against gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgendered persons.

I don't have a "link" I have an agreement that I give to my renters and that is plainly stated on the 2nd page. Again I will try to scan it and post it if I can't find it online. I can't speak for employeement. No you posted an unverified "fact" the burden of proof is on you. Name just one state please instead of running around it every time.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
cannistershot wrote:
Harper wrote:

I don't have a "link" I have an agreement that I give to my renters and that is plainly stated on the 2nd page. Again I will try to scan it and post it if I can't find it online. I can't speak for employeement. No you posted an unverified "fact" the burden of proof is on you. Name just one state please instead of running around it every time.

I am going to tell you once again that the burden of proof rests on you but since I am dealing with someone who would quote state law based on bolirplate language in a rental agreement, I am going to humor you.

How about Georgia? accoridng to HRC.ORG:

Georgia Non-Discrimination Law:
Gender identity protected? No

No statewide law explicitly addresses discrimination based on gender identity.

Sexual orientation protected? No

No statewide law explicitly addresses sexual orientation discrimination.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again research the Georgia Statutes and prove me wrong, it is not up to me to prove a negative although I jsut did. BTW I live in Florida, there is no statewide protections for GLBT here either. Again, if you want to do the research, be my guest but GLBT discrimination is legal in most places in the US.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:23 pm
I don't understand how making same sex marriages legal forces churches to recognize such a marriage. For example, the Catholic Church will not marry a couple if one of the individuals have been divorced. The Catholic Church would still consider the original marriage as valid and therefore cannot marry the couple. This couple could still go to the justice of the peace and get married, but the Catholic Church would not recognize the marriage.

What would be the difference between that and same sex marriage?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm
There's no place at all for church in this discussion...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:43 pm
Harper wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Harper wrote:

I am going to tell you once again that the burden of proof rests on you but since I am dealing with someone who would quote state law based on bolirplate language in a rental agreement, I am going to humor you.

Again research the Georgia Statutes and prove me wrong, it is not up to me to prove a negative although I jsut did. BTW I live in Florida, there is no statewide protections for GLBT here either. Again, if you want to do the research, be my guest but GLBT discrimination is legal in most places in the US.

You're not willing to accept that the laws on the books already protect you; you want special protection in many forms and places. When it comes to hate crime laws, it is a farce and shouldn't exist. If a gay person beats up a straight person because they are straight, do the hate crime laws protect the straight person? Of a black person beats up a white person because they are white, do hate crime laws protect the white person? No they don't, because we have special interest groups seeking unfair laws against the majority and nothing to inflect punishment on the minorities if they commit the same crimes. It is a shame and it is a perfect example of separate but equal at its worst. Apply all laws to all people or it just isn't fair.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
I believe you are wrong about that Cyclopitichorn. I believe that the church is very central to this discussion as christianityand many other religions are the driving force against gay marriage.

The general population of the US is against gay marriage and right or wrong that's the way it is. Maybe someday that will change, but until that day, if I were gay, I would be fighting for a recognized civil union and forget the marriage issue. It's just a word. Let the zealots have their word, meanwhile, my partner and I would have the rights we desire under the rule of law.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:55 pm
Harper wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Harper wrote:

I'll humor you and read the Fla laws. But yet again you started the point not me, so the burden of proof is on you. HRC.ORg tells me nothing, please link it for me since I can't find your "proof" from this unbiased web site.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:41 pm
http://fchr.state.fl.us/

Quote:
The Florida Commission on Human Relations is dedicated to eliminating discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, marital status or familial status.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:43 pm
Oops, I think you're looking for Georgia.
Maybe?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:45 pm
I had a friend in Florida that was a hermaphrodite. He tried to rent a condo and they told him to go f*#k himself......
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:48 pm
We can always count on you for comic relief bear, thanks.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
http://fchr.state.fl.us/

Quote:
The Florida Commission on Human Relations is dedicated to eliminating discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, marital status or familial status.

Thank you Beth. Laughing
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:56 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Harper wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Harper wrote:

You're not willing to accept that the laws on the books already protect you; you want special protection in many forms and places. When it comes to hate crime laws, it is a farce and shouldn't exist. If a gay person beats up a straight person because they are straight, do the hate crime laws protect the straight person? Of a black person beats up a white person because they are white, do hate crime laws protect the white person? No they don't, because we have special interest groups seeking unfair laws against the majority and nothing to inflect punishment on the minorities if they commit the same crimes. It is a shame and it is a perfect example of separate but equal at its worst. Apply all laws to all people or it just isn't fair.

I agree. If I am attacked by someone "different" from me should I be able to sue as a hate crime? I can see what the law was trying to accomplish but IMO it goes overboard and has too many loopholes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:56 pm
of course that doesn't cover sexual orientation, but who knows what else might be found in the minutiae of that site

interestingly (?) the Georgia information is not as easy to track down
0 Replies