Homosexual Marriage defeated by WIDE Margins

woiyo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:35 am
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041103/ap_on_el_st_lo/eln_gay_marriage_9

In an election that was very very close, I find it interesting that the VAST majority of people in these 10 States have overwhelimingly supported tradition and defeated Gay Marriage by placing a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT in their States.

Some pundints say "the nation is split on moral issues". Well, maybe not as much as they would have us think.

Why such a overwhelming defeat of Same Sex Marriage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,957 • Replies: 265
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:41 am
I would be very curious as to the demographics of age, as pertained to the vote on this issue. To many older people (me excluded), the entire idea of homosexuality is an uncomfortable one. The thought of gays embracing the institution of marriage, I think, would cause negative reactions.

For many years, gays could not come out of the closet without being discriminated against. I believe that the younger generation is more understanding of what, to some, is a perverse lifestyle. I think that gay marriage will be possible, but probably its time has not come yet!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:15 am
It is a sad day here in Michigan today. I am appaled that the right to seperation of chuch and state will not be upheld. Equal rights for all? Yeah....my ass.

Right now, I don't even want to live in a state that deceides it laws based on the religious preference of the majority. The "I don't want to be uncomfortable, so you be uncomfortable" mentality. Why are straight marriages so threatened by the prospect of gay marriage? The gays have obviously screwed with the scanctity of marriage since the divorce rate is around 50%...oh wait, that was straight people that f*ked it up.....If gays want to be misrable to, let 'em. Equal rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:07 am
Kristi - Michigan voted 51/48 Kerry yet voted 59/41 against same sex marriage.

Therefore, many democratic supporters voted against same sex marriage.

Why is that?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
Apparently people are still scared of what they don't understand.
Or maybe they just don't want to be uncomfortable.
Or maybe they think that if they don't see it, it doesn't exist.
Or perhaps they are just trying to suppress the rights of a group that they don't agree with.

Who knows? Doesn't really matter if you are democratic or republican. Human civil rights are human civil rights.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:17 am
homophobes......I should think the answer would be obvious......as we take away peoples abilities to hate other groups of people through legislation, education, enlightenment, time, whatever tools used to accomplish the job, we will, as a result of human nature, find another group to hate.

A group that is hated will red flag our "leaders" and they will then make that hatred an issue in order to draw attention away from the truly dangerous things they are doing and sway as many people as possible to a position that will advance their agenda.

Playing on the ignorance and fear of people is the best tool in a leaders arsenal because hatred and fear are already built into people and therefore are cheap,efficient and ripe for exploitation. When you can get a campaign rolling on more than one hated and feared group at the same time...say queers and towel heads...well.....you could be president.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:18 am
woiyo wrote:
Kristi - Michigan voted 51/48 Kerry yet voted 59/41 against same sex marriage.

Therefore, many democratic supporters voted against same sex marriage.

Why is that?

Because people, on average, are stupid, fearful, and credulous.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:39 am
I cannot understand why the outpouring of hatred against the concept of gay marriage. Marriage after all is simply a contract between two people. A contract that is broken by divorce about 50% of the time and not kept probably by about 25% of the remaining people thru cheating and lying and adultery. The sanctity of marriage is in today's environment a myth and a joke.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:01 am
au1929 wrote:
I cannot understand why the outpouring of hatred against the concept of gay marriage. Marriage after all is simply a contract between two people. A contract that is broken by divorce about 50% of the time and not kept probably by about 25% of the remaining people thru cheating and lying and adultery. The sanctity of marriage is in today's environment a myth and a joke.

but a wonderful political smokescreen....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:03 am
I wonder how many people abstained from voting on the issue. Many people will only vote on something they care about, leaving the rest of the ballot incomplete.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:13 am
I think business had as much to do with the amendment winning as much as "morality".

Extending benefits to same sex couples, when they don't have to, is an expense they are willing to fight not to pay.

I'm the custodial guardian for a little kid. I keep the original court order in my fire safe with copies in my car, in my suitcase, and right inside my front door to guard against problems should there ever be an accident or other emergency.

I have great sympathy for families that have to deal with such paperwork hurdles to care for the people they love. Its absurd.

"Sorrow" is the only word I can find to describe my feelings about this vote.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:15 am
I think you're right, FreeDuck. By far, most of the people who felt strongly about this issue were against gay marriage.

<SIGH>
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:18 am
boomerang

Can't agree it is misplaced morality.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
I think the same-sex marriage ban was put forth in states where there was over-whelming support already. But, I haven't really looked at all the numbers and histories.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
I'm not sure I follow you, au.....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:46 am
boomerang
The financial I am sure never enters the equasion. It is the imposition of their supposed morality upon others.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
au1929 wrote:
boomerang
The financial I am sure never enters the equasion. It is the imposition of their supposed morality upon others.
Are you saying there isn't a moral majority?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
For the masses, it's a moral issue. Very few ordinary people are worried about the financial aspects of gay marriage.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
littlek wrote:
For the masses, it's a moral issue. Very few ordinary people are worried about the financial aspects of gay marriage.

There could very well be a financial aspect to gay marriage. Gay men are more then likely to have AIDS then any other group and it isn't a cheap sickness to deal with. People talk about smoking and the effect cancer has on health care, why wouldn't the same concern apply to AIDS and homosexuality?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
Baldimo wrote:
littlek wrote:

There could very well be a financial aspect to gay marriage. Gay men are more then likely to have AIDS then any other group and it isn't a cheap sickness to deal with. People talk about smoking and the effect cancer has on health care, why wouldn't the same concern apply to AIDS and homosexuality?

So by this completely ridiculous logic, smokers shouldn't marry either. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies