Homosexual Marriage defeated by WIDE Margins

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
That's why he was so pissed the last time I got a hair cut.... Shocked Embarrassed
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
Yer off to the big house now Kristie. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:14 pm
rats....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
Here are some other strange laws in Michigan - becareful Kristie..In Detroit, it is illegal to ogle a woman from a moving car. In Port Huron, the speed limit for ambulances is 20 mph. Under state law, dentists are officially classified as mechanics. In Clawson, it is legal for a farmer to "sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens".
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
Well, I've always suspected those Clawson folk to be a little on the "ya know" side.....

It's funny you should mention the dentist thing. Mine gave me a root canal and fixed my carburetor yesterday. Got a great discount.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:47 pm
Re: Homosexual Marriage defeated by WIDE Margins
woiyo wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041103/ap_on_el_st_lo/eln_gay_marriage_9

In an election that was very very close, I find it interesting that the VAST majority of people in these 10 States have overwhelimingly supported tradition and defeated Gay Marriage by placing a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT in their States.

Some pundints say "the nation is split on moral issues". Well, maybe not as much as they would have us think.

Why such a overwhelming defeat of Same Sex Marriage?

Because only 2% of the population and bleeding hearts voted for it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
Homosexual Marriage will be legal in the future. This is just the beginning of the battle that will inevitably lead to equal rights.

Look at the fight to end slavery. The conservatives fought, but the liberals won in the end.

Look at the fight to give women the vote. The conservatives fought, but the liberals won in the end.

Look at the Fight for integrated schools and civil rights and evolution....

The fact is that the young always give up (albeit slowly) the prejudices of the old. This is already happening as gay bashing is way down, and "Queer eye" is a well known TV show.

Not only that, the dire predictions about the end of heterosexual marriages in Massachusetts were obviously overblown (my marriage is doing fine), and in 5 or 10 years gay marriages will be accepted with a yawn-- same as mixed race marriages and selling beer on Sundays.

From slavery to wife-beating to lynching to the KKK. The bleeding hearts always win in the long run.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:00 pm
Dont mean to hijack this thread or return to old posts but I am curious and a bit disturbed by this post.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
homophobes......I should think the answer would be obvious......as we take away peoples abilities to hate other groups of people through legislation, education, enlightenment, time, whatever tools used to accomplish the job, we will, as a result of human nature, find another group to hate.

This is just one of the things that scares me about The Left It sounds alot like mind control to me. How can you propose to dictate an individuals thoughts and emotions? Do you really belive that you will eliminate hate through social engineering? What else might be lost in the process?

It sounds to me like you have developed an Ideal Human Attitude that you wish to instill in everybody through government policy and intervention. This right out of 1984, this is Big Brother. It might be the governments job to intervene when people are threatened, but not to formulate thought in Halls of Congress. It is scary that this is the Lefts "obvious" solution to a problem.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:02 pm
Quote:
Do you really belive that you will eliminate hate through social engineering? What else might be lost in the process?

The guys who thought up Civil Rights sure seemed to think so.

And we're doing pretty well. Look how far we've come in the last 50 years, as compared to the... entirety of human history previously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:08 pm
Instigate wrote:
Dont mean to hijack this thread or return to old posts but I am curious and a bit disturbed by this post.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
homophobes......I should think the answer would be obvious......as we take away peoples abilities to hate other groups of people through legislation, education, enlightenment, time, whatever tools used to accomplish the job, we will, as a result of human nature, find another group to hate.

This is just one of the things that scares me about The Left It sounds alot like mind control to me. How can you propose to dictate an individuals thoughts and emotions? Do you really belive that you will eliminate hate through social engineering? What else might be lost in the process?

It sounds to me like you have developed an Ideal Human Attitude that you wish to instill in everybody through government policy and intervention. This right out of 1984, this is Big Brother. It might be the governments job to intervene when people are threatened, but not to formulate thought in Halls of Congress. It is scary that this is the Lefts "obvious" solution to a problem.

nice try...I proposed no obvious solution...I pointed out that the obvious answer to the question was homophobes.....the entire point of my post is that you can not dictate an individuals thoughts and emotions and therefore there will alway be a hated group and that leaders will use that hate to their own furtherment....I think you know that but spun my statement to score points on the "left"....you'll have be more clever than that I'm afraid :wink:
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:19 pm
I wouldnt be so quick to attirbute our progress to the Civil Rights Act. You cannot legislate feelings and emotions.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:28 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Instigate wrote:

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

nice try...I proposed no obvious solution...I pointed out that the obvious answer to the question was homophobes.....the entire point of my post is that you can not dictate an individuals thoughts and emotions and therefore there will alway be a hated group and that leaders will use that hate to their own furtherment....I think you know that but spun my statement to score points on the "left"....you'll have be more clever than that I'm afraid :wink:

So you did not put forth the phrase "take away peoples abilities to hate" as a solution to homophobia? 'Cause thats how I read it.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:32 pm
I live in Mississippi and gay marriage was voted down like 80 to 20. When I saw those numbers I was shocked Shocked I find it hard to believe that 80 percent of people can agree on anything, much less something as controversial as gay marriage. I seriously think one of the main reasons for the opposition is because it is "gross". The only thing I find gross, however, is the constant need that Americans have to oppress, whether it be The Blacks, the Non-Christians, or The Gays...Sad, sad story.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:57 pm
Instigate wrote:
I wouldnt be so quick to attirbute our progress to the Civil Rights Act. You cannot legislate feelings and emotions.

Dumb-ass argument. You may not be able to legistlate feelings and emotions per se, but you can legislate acts, such as marriage, that are based on feelings and emotions. You can legislate plenty of things based on feelings and emotion, such as charging a man with murder for a crime of passion. You can imprison or kill terrorists for acting on what they feel. You can hospitalize people with violent dissociative disorders for being potentially harmful to others or themselves, even if they feel, to the depths of their soul, that they were commanded by Pope Clement to kill the Templar Knights.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:24 am
Thank the Supreme Court of the State of Mass for energizing the people in those States who voted down Gay Marriage.

Obviously, the VAST MAJORITY of those citizens, both Democrat and Republicans, did not care to have a very small minority of people dictate or force their "morals" upon them.

The liberals on the east and west coasts do NOT represent the Nation. Their agenda has been rejected by the majority.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:31 am
woiyo wrote:
Thank the Supreme Court of the State of Mass for energizing the people in those States who voted down Gay Marriage.

Obviously, the VAST MAJORITY of those citizens, both Democrat and Republicans, did not care to have a very small minority of people dictate or force their "morals" upon them.

The liberals on the east and west coasts do NOT represent the Nation. Their agenda has been rejected by the majority.

....and the world has been saved from all those immoral gay men and women who wanted nothing more than to legazie their union with someone they love and want to spend the rest of their lives with.

What a relief !!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:36 am
Gautam
No one could say it more eloquently than that.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:38 am
Red alert! Gay paratroopers at 2 o'clock! Launch missiles, fire at will!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:44 am
woiyo wrote:

No the vast majority wanted to force their morals on the minority... hmmm...sounds historically faimilar....

Just because a large group wants something doesn't make it right.

And for the record, I happen to be part of the "very small minority" and I don't live on the east or west coast and I am not a liberal. I am just a woman who believes in the civil rights of all US citizens, not just those with the loudest voice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:46 am
I agree with Kristy and I am one of those rowdy Texans.
0 Replies