Alcoholic husband

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 02:19 am
My husband will not stop drinking what should I do? I have went to the point of hiding his alcohol. I have explained so many times how it hurst to see him drunk how our marriage has changed. He yells at me, made threats to hit me. I have even left him to have a peace of mind. It only going on one year married which way to go?

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 07:56 am
@Brokenhearted2,
Note: I am not a doctor.

He needs treatment from a professional. But, most likely, he has to be the one to seek out that treatment. It is hard for alcoholics to understand what is happening to them. As has been said before, the first step is admitting he has a problem.

If you can get him to his doctor, maybe start there. Certainly he will get some sort of tests, etc. and the doctor will not love his blood sugar or anything else. You may not have to say a word; a doctor will see a lot when it comes to alcohol abuse. So the doctor can kind of be the bad guy there.

If he won't go, and he won't go to counseling, then you may need to leave him again. Often an alcoholic needs to climb up from rock bottom because they have been in denial for so long about how 'well' they are functioning as a drunk. This can also happen when they have been enabled by someone, perhaps someone like you. Even if you don't want to facilitate his drinking, you may even be doing so unconsciously. Leaving him and letting him hit rock bottom will make him see that he is not fine at all. Alcoholics Anonymous is not the only option out there but it is probably the best-known one. Or you can get a referral to a hospital or counseling program from your doctor or insurance company.

As for you, specifically, you might want to check out Al-Anon's programs for families or, again, talk to your own physician about a coping program for you. Certainly you are being affected, too, and you need to know that you are not alone. And in particular if you have to leave him again, it would be good to have support from people who have been there already. It's got to be tough to watch someone you love hit rock bottom but those folks are experienced in that area.

And of course if you ever feel you are in any physical danger, even if it's from flying debris from him hitting a wall with his fist, then please leave and consider your own physical well-being as a priority.
Brokenhearted2

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 08:48 am
@jespah,
Thank you so much for your time and advice' I will look into those links you shared. I have a tough road ahead, and I will make it threw.
jespah

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 09:52 am
@Brokenhearted2,
You can do it! Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 08:18 pm
Please don't get pregnant.
0 Replies