camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 08:02 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are seeing a growing Sanctuary movement that is supported by a number of American citizens.

There is no doubt about it. There has always been a small percentage of Americans who knew the truth about the US. There were Americans who went down to Nicaragua to create sanctuary villages, living with the people, risking their lives to keep Reagan's murderous Contras out.

The proof is starting to pour out illustrating what sane people have known for many years - the science is illustrating, clearly and unequivocably that the alleged hijackers did not cause the collapse of WTCs 1, 2 and 7.

More decent Americans will create sanctuaries for fleeing politicians, the ones who lied about Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, ... protecting them until they can be brought to trial.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 08:49 am
@camlok,
Quote:
The proof is starting to pour out illustrating what sane people have known for many years - the science is illustrating, clearly and unequivocably that the alleged hijackers did not cause the collapse of WTCs 1, 2 and 7.

Really Comlok???

I want to think that you are on my side. But then when you start posting this silly nonsense, you completely discredit the points you are making and I have to distance myself from you.

You could at least stick to the topic (there are other threads for this conspiracy theory bullshit).
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:07 am
@maxdancona,
If it is such silly nonsense, why would you be so afraid to look at the science, maxdancona?

Do you suggest that a PhD professor who spent two years of his life on a scientific study that came to the conclusion that the NIST report on WTC7 had a "zero" chance of being accurate?

It doesn't make any sense for you to deny such obvious science. Discuss it, most assuredly, for that is the essence of science, but to dismiss it out of hand completely discredits you in many respects.

This issue is inextricably tied up with all these USA issue being discussed. When the science says that the NIST report was a lie, all that is flowing, has flowed from 911 has to be viewed in a different light.

Doesn't it bother you at all that many have been falsely accused and billions have been unfairly tarnished by a nation that has done this numerous times?
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:15 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Really Comlok???

I should ask you the same question. Do you really think that the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, would jeopardize its entire existence by taking on a study that was a "conspiracy theory"?

What is in your cereal, that you can use such acutely poor logic?

Quote:
I want to think that you are on my side.

I'm not on anybody's side unless they are on the side of honesty, science, humanity, ... .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:24 am
@camlok,
This nonsense is completely off topic Comlok. If I were interested in discussing this, I would go to the other thread. You are welcome to go check to see if I have posted anything there (if I haven't, then it probably means that this topic doesn't interest me in the slightest).

If you want to talk about Sanctuary cities and related issues, this is a good thread for that. Sanctuary cities represent a topic that I find relevant and interesting. That is why I am on this thread.

The fact that 911 conspiracy theories are popping up on just about every single ******* thread here is annoying as hell.

camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:38 am
@maxdancona,
Do you really think that the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, would jeopardize its entire existence by taking on a study that was a "conspiracy theory"?

No, it is exactly on topic. Sanctuary cities exist, and are growing because of Trump's policy on Muslims. That is borne of 911. Since the science says 911 was a huge lie, your deep fear of addressing it illustrates clearly just how fearful you and all the other science deniers are.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:40 am
@camlok,
Quote:
your deep fear of addressing it illustrates clearly just how fearful you and all the other science deniers are

whatever.
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:41 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
(if I haven't, then it probably means that this topic doesn't interest me in the slightest).

The science being published by the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, doesn't interest you in the slightest?

How does one live in such a bubble and feel comfortable in your skin?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:45 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The fact that 911 conspiracy theories are popping up on just about every single ******* thread here is annoying as hell.

Really, Max, you are going to keep advancing the ludicrous notion that the University of Fairbanks has involved itself in a 911 conspiracy theory?
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:46 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
whatever.

Very telling, Max, and it doesn't say very nice things.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:47 am
@camlok,
Did you check the other thread (that is actually about 911 conspiracy theories) to see what I said there?
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:06 am
@maxdancona,
Have you admitted that you made some silly rash statement falsely accusing both me and the University of Alaska?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 02:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
1) Our immigration system is deeply flawed in that it is completely detached from economic reality. If our immigration laws were enforced to the letter, several sectors of our economy would collapse. For example, our agricultural sector would either fold up and go to Mexico (after the workers), or the price of our food would increase drastically.

The flaw in our immigration isn't economic, there are solutions to some of those problems, technology for instance could be heavily used in the agricultural, robot or remotely controlled machines. My grandfather was one of those kids who worked on a farm before modern farming machines made the work he did nonexistent. Why hire 40 people to pick corn when a machine can pick twice the corn in half the time?
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/07/14/robot-farming/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanised_agriculture

Quote:
2) Human behavior (including yours) is effected as much by economic reality than by laws. You drive over the speed limit. The problem of Americans downloading music and movies illegally was to give up on enforcement and change the laws. Many Americans still break the letter of the copyright laws. Since the industry realized it wasn't worth fighting in many cases, no one cares.

Wrong, the govt joined the side of the entertainment lobbyists and enacted the DMCA, which increased the penalties on those who downloaded movies or music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
Quote:
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law that implements two 1996 treaties of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself. In addition, the DMCA heightens the penalties for copyright infringement on the Internet.[1][2] Passed on October 12, 1998, by a unanimous vote in the United States Senate and signed into law by President Bill Clinton on October 28, 1998, the DMCA amended Title 17 of the United States Code to extend the reach of copyright, while limiting the liability of the providers of online services for copyright infringement by their users.
The DMCA's principal innovation in the field of copyright is the exemption from direct and indirect liability of Internet service providers and other intermediaries. This exemption was adopted by the European Union in the Electronic Commerce Directive 2000. The Copyright Directive 2001 implemented the 1996 WIPO Copyright Treaty in the EU.

A co-worker of mine just received a DMCA violation letter from Comcast today.

Quote:
3) The real battle of immigration is over American Culture. The biggest disagreement between Gunga and I (which is mirrored by many Republicans in Congress, and by Trump in some of his tweets) is what American Culture means.

Isn't our culture important? Isn't the point of people coming to the US is to become an American? No ones says people can't have their own culture privately, but should we shift the our culture to adjust to those coming here, or make them adjust to our way of life? We used to be known as the Great Melting Pot but that isn't the case any more. Assimilation has slowed or in some cases it is refused, Cultural Appropriation is now a bad thing, if you ain't black then you better not have loop earrings...

Quote:
There is the idea that people going to a Mosque, or speaking Spanish is damaging to real Americans. Many of us disagree. Note: I am being careful here not to use the word "racism". I am trying to describe a real difference in as fair a way as possible.

Speaking Spanish isn't damaging to Americans, it's damaging to those who don't learn to speak English. Going to a Mosque? There have been some communities who have been against Mosques being built in there, and in most cases the courts ruled against the communities.

Quote:
It is a fact that most people in Boston and New York have no problem with hearing multiple languages in public, wearing religious garb or many types or having different skin colors or foods.

Most people in most parts of the country don't have a problem with hearing different languages or seeing people dress properly. Most of us eat foods from different cultures and in fact some cultures have benefited from such an exchange. Jews at Christmas time is interesting, traditional Chinese restaurants don't close on Christmas because most of them are Buddhist, so most of the Jews I know eat Chinese or Sushi for Xmas when most restaurants are closed for the holiday.

Quote:
We feel that there is a misguided goal of immigration policy, to favor the traditional White Protestant culture over every other culture. That is why when Republicans talk about the threat to "American Culture" it makes me respond defiantly. To my family, speaking Spanish is a big part of American culture.

Your impression isn't accurate in the least. When it comes to immigration, a majority of us don't care where people come from as long as they come legally. We also don't want a bunch of people who have to be cared for by taxpayer dollars, we want people who can contribute to society not show up and get free social services right off the bat. We need to change the terms of being born in the US. A lot of you guys are so big on "being like the EU", well lets start with birth-right citizenship. At least one parent has to be a US citizen, that will solve a lot of our immigration issues as people will stop coming here to have "anchor babies".

We want people who want to actually be Americans, and while we are at it, can we get rid of the *-American? The only people who should be *-American are those who were actually born in another country and became US citizens. Anyone born here is an American, plain and simple, using the hyphen only serves to divide us as a culture.

Quote:
4) If we had an immigration policy that was fair, economically sound, and accepting cultural diversity, then I would support a strong enforcement.

What's fair? How do you determine fair? Fair to the US, fair to illegal immigrants?

Economically sound? How about we stop letting companies hire people on H1 visa's to replace American workers? How about making it so only US citizens receive social services?

Accepting cultural diversity: How about those that move to the US accept US culture instead? How many places around the country have taken down US flags because it might be offensive to immigrants? It seems cultural diversity is a one way street.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/us/hampshire-college-flag-veterans-protest.html?_r=0

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 03:52 pm
@Baldimo,
I disagree with you on many points (most of which I have already expressed my opinion) and I even agree with you on one point (I am not a fan of the H1B visa).

But this is the most important disagreement that I have with you.

Quote:
We want people who want to actually be Americans, and while we are at it, can we get rid of the *-American? The only people who should be *-American are those who were actually born in another country and became US citizens. Anyone born here is an American, plain and simple, using the hyphen only serves to divide us as a culture.

There are two problems with this.

1) When you say "we want people...." who do include in the we? Who who get's to speak for Americans? I am not OK with you telling me what "I" want.

2) What you say "actually be Americans" what does that mean... and who decides what it means to be an American. The lifestyle and values of White people in Houston is quite a bit different than the lifestyle of White people in Boston or New York.

Then of course you add Black people (many of whom were brought over during the barbaric slave trade), Hispanic people (some of whom were living in the United States before the United States existed), and Jewish people. All of these groups have as much right as anyone claim to be American in spite of different religions, languages, customs and attitudes.

Would you suggest that African-Americans are less American because of the hyphen in the way they describe themselves? What about Jewish-Americans; a term that was pretty important historically when Jews weren't consider to be American by many White Protestants.

If you are going to say things like "We want people to actually be Americans" you are going to run into problems with lots of us who don't think that your position on immigration isn't American. You are violating the core values of the American experiment; the right of each person to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness regardless of their likes, customs or ethnic background.

America doesn't belong to a single ethnically, culturally homogeneous group of people that act and think alike.

Sorry.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
1) When you say "we want people...." who do include in the we? Who who get's to speak for Americans? I am not OK with you telling me what "I" want.

"We" would be the majority of Americans, not the extreme left of the immigration debate. My views on immigration on more on par with main stream America, yours are more on the fringe.

Quote:
2) What you say "actually be Americans" what does that mean... and who decides what it means to be an American. The lifestyle and values of White people in Houston is quite a bit different than the lifestyle of White people in Boston or New York.

Who said anything about race? This proves my point about the left in America, you guys are so centered on race that no normal conversation can take place. I don't consider any color when I talk about Americans, hence my preference to remove the -American.

Quote:
Then of course you add Black people (many of whom were brought over during the barbaric slave trade),

Over 200 years ago.

Quote:
Hispanic people (some of whom were living in the United States before the United States existed)

Then these people and their families would be Americans and have been for generations.

Quote:
All of these groups have as much right as anyone claim to be American in spite of different religions, languages, customs and attitudes.

Who said they weren't Americans? Who said they couldn't call themselves Americans? I would prefer they only used American and not -American. Which "American- "should I choose? Most of my family roots are from EU, do I choose Italian, British, German, Norwegian or Sicilian? Which should my children choose as they have African and Hispanic roots on my ex-wife side of the family, so which hyphen should they choose? They choose neither because they are American and they are made up of many different nationalities.

Quote:
Would you suggest that African-Americans are less American because of the hyphen in the way they describe themselves? What about Jewish-Americans; a term that was pretty important historically when Jews weren't consider to be American by many White Protestants.

That is your claim, not mine. You are hung up on race and people's color and race. Drop the non-sense.

Quote:
If you are going to say things like "We want people to actually be Americans" you are going to run into problems with lots of us who don't think that your position on immigration isn't American.

You mean my position on illegal immigration. Why do you continue to confuse the 2?

Quote:
You are violating the core values of the American experiment; the right of each person to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness regardless of their likes, customs or ethnic background.

I'm not violating anything, they can still do all of those things and call themselves Americans without the hyphen. The hyphen of American is only to divide the American people.

Quote:
America doesn't belong to a single ethnically, culturally homogeneous group of people that act and think alike.

That is true, but people such as yourself only serve to continue to divide the American people and put forth a left-wing version of what it is to be American. Your hang up on race and color proves this.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
"We" would be the majority of Americans, not the extreme left of the immigration debate. My views on immigration on more on par with main stream America, yours are more on the fringe.

I don't really believe that you are this self-deluded. Yes, I am to the left of the majority of Americans on this issue. And you are to the right of the majority of Americans. There is a large spectrum of opinions between us.

Not that it matters anyway. A majority of Americans support a ban on Assault rifles, and a majority of Americans voted for Barack Obama twice. (Edit: And I just checked, it is true that a majority of Americans support giving a pathway to citizenship to people in the country illegally now after meeting a background check etc.)

Did this mean anything?
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't really believe that you are this self-deluded.

Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 05:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Not that it matters anyway. A majority of Americans support a ban on Assault rifles, and a majority of Americans voted for Barack Obama twice. (Edit: And I just checked, it is true that a majority of Americans support giving a pathway to citizenship to people in the country illegally now after meeting a background check etc.)

Just no. A majority of voters is not a majority of a population in America.
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 05:03 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Your hang up on race and color proves this.

You and your tribe, far right conservatives, are the ones who are hung up on race. People can call themselves what they want.

There are actually many people who like the surroundings but despise the propagandist BS that is the "American experience".

There are actually many people who like the surroundings but despise the illegal invasions, the forever brutalizing nature of the US, the slaughters of innocents, the genocides, the thieving nature of the US government and US business, the fact that their country is a war mongering nation.
camlok

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 05:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Oh boy, a battle of the sources! Odds on favorite is Max, as McGentrix never uses sources.

Perhaps a slight tilt in McGentrix's favor would even things out - 3 alternate facts equals 1 real source.
0 Replies