Racism and Bias

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 06:08 pm
@TheCobbler,
And as Contrex has pointed out bias has more than one meaning. By allowing racists to be guilty of something other than racism, something not quite as bad, you're acquiescing to their use of language.

I think we can both agree that unfairly treating people based on nothing more than race, culture or religion is wrong. We just disagree on the terminology used.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 06:16 pm
@maxdancona,
I like ideals, but what are "idealisms" exactly? Is that your word?
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 06:17 pm
@TheCobbler,
Dimly lit colloquiums.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 08:43 pm
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/bias

Cambridge dictionary definition of the word Bias
Quote:
bias noun (PREFERENCE)

1. British definition: the action of supporting or opposing a particular person or thing in an unfair way, because of allowing personal opinions to influence your judgment

2. American definition: an unfair personal opinion that influences your judgment

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:29 am
@Real Music,
There's lots of definitions

Quote:
cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.

Inclination for something could easily mean a preference for tea over coffee.
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's lots of definitions

Quote:
cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.

Inclination for something could easily mean a preference for tea over coffee.

It has two main meanings, one is an unfair or prejudiced preference or leaning, the other is not. What is happening is that some people like to pretend that there is only one.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:05 am
@centrox,
I'm not, but I think allowing racist behaviour to be defined as biased instead of racist is excusing racist behaviour.
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:16 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I'm not, but I think allowing racist behaviour to be defined as biased instead of racist is excusing racist behaviour.

That is what some dishonest or stupid people do, they take the more innocent meaning of bias, that is a blameless personal preference, e.g. for beef over chicken for lunch, or for jazz over hip-hop, and seek to pretend that makes it all right to prefer white people over black people, or Christians over Muslims as job candidates or neighbours.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:35 am
Again Bias is a generalist coinage.
Racism is a specific form of bias not Bias.

Now to what matters, it is perhaps true that some genotypes are less tolerant to difference and therefore more prone to a variety of biased behaviours which can include all kinds of segregation including racism, sexism, cultural xenophobia and so on.

The root of the problem is both genetic and cultural.
If you've grown up in a cosmopolitan diversified enviroment your level of tolerance to difference increases so you can adapt to different contexts on your daily routine. Equally, in small towns the specificity of the cultural medium requires you to focus on the intricacies and rituals of a single cultural referent in order to adapt and be accepted by the group.

While globalization and the internet have changed the problem from more or less linear to complex, still the eco chambers divide more then access to information unites.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 07:29 am
@centrox,
That's my point exactly. On A2K Giujohn is a prime example. He makes a false distinction between racism and prejudice, claiming that being a little racist is like being a little pregnant.
0 Replies