Racism and Bias

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:36 am
Integrity and trust...

Swedes puzzle over Fox News' Swedish 'security advisor'
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/swedes-puzzle-fox-news-swedish-security-advisor-45746216

point.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The definition of racism is subjective; what you consider to be racist differs from what other people consider racist.

You really do know how to spout bullshit.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:43 am
@TheCobbler,
Neither could a preference for tea over coffee.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:44 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

+1
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:45 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
The definition of racism is subjective; what you consider to be racist differs from what other people consider racist.

You are disagreeing with the fact that what you consider racist differs from what other people consider racist. Really?

That seems rather obvious.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:59 am
My biggest point is this.

Trump is president. The Republicans completely control 31 state legislatures and there are 33 Republican governors. This is in spite of the fact that polls show solid support for progressive issues from abortion rights, to same sex marriage to health care.

If you listen to middle American voters... they will tell you that they don't like being called racist. Once you do this, you lose their support even on areas where you might agree.

The left is calling an awful lot of Americans racist and sexist. And rather than supporting and defending their ideas in a positive way, they are attacking and trying to shut out anyone one who differs with them.

Maybe if the left started standing up for, and defending, progressive ideas rather than attacking people for disagreeing with them... they will have better luck convincing people to support them.

They didn't do this. And now we have to suffer 4 years of Donald Trump.
Miller

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 12:18 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
... bias is somehow okay.

Don't most American men have a BIASIS towards beautiful women, when it comes to marriage? Don't they DISCRIMINATE against women, who're not beautiful?

Don't most American mothers want their daughters to marry men with money? Why do American mothers discriminate against poor men when it comes to marriage for their daughters? Because they want what they think is BEST for their daughters.

When parents select colleges for their children to attend, they often discriminate against public State-run schools, in favor of the so-called Ivy -colleges. Why? Perhaps because of the education afforded by the Ivy-schools. Or perhaps, because of the types of students their kids will be associated with.

Why do many Catholic families want their kids to attend a Catholic college?

Why do many American Jewish families encourage their children to enroll in Brandeis University? Is it quality of education? Is it because many Jewish parents want their kids to attend colleges with high percentages of Jewish students?

Discrimination is everywhere today. Some is bad, but most is for the common good.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 01:35 pm
@Miller,
Some of that sounds more like segregation.
TheCobbler

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 02:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Most parents want their daughters in pink and sons in blue but it does not change the reality of what they become. Some beautiful people are stupid and miserable and some ivy league schools produce scoundrels and losers.

The jails are full of prople from all walks of life.

Bias and prejudice can get you a bad cup of coffee.

Abraham Lincoln went to school and became a lawyer at the public library.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 03:47 pm
@Sturgis,
Is segregation the same as racism or sexism? In Boston, they are starting an Uber for women. Women will be the drivers and the customers, men will be excluded. (I am pretty sure this is unconstitutional... I wouldn't mind being the test plaintiff).

Is this sexism?
Krumple

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 04:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Is segregation the same as racism or sexism? In Boston, they are starting an Uber for women. Women will be the drivers and the customers, men will be excluded. (I am pretty sure this is unconstitutional... I wouldn't mind being the test plaintiff).

Is this sexism?

Just another example of how SJWs and third wave feminists are damaging society. Its based on the premise that men are preditors so to protect women from men they segregate them for the illusion of safety.

But if men were to make a men only club these same feminists would cry foul. Throwing tantrums and demanding equality.
centrox

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 04:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Is this sexism?

Even a cursory study of the male-on-female rape/assault/robbery stats vs the other way around would suggest that "prudence" would be a more suitable word.
centrox

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 04:42 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
preditors

Why is it that far-right dumb fucks can't spell for ****?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 04:56 pm
@centrox,
Education and far right politics don't exactly go hand in hand.

And Max will always turn any discussion about discrimination into a rant on how women have it so easy and how it's tough being Max.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 05:21 pm
@centrox,
This is a perfect example of bias. Facts matter, and your defense of this probably illegal discrimination (in a public accommodation) is flawed.

1) The fact is that men are more likely to be victims of violent crime than women... particularly when it comes from non acquaintance crime.

2) The same statistical argument could be made for racially segregated ride sharing services... something that I wouldn't accept and neither would you.

3) These arguments should be about facts, principles and reason, rather than personal attacks.

Liberals rely way too much on personal attack, rather than on facts or principle. And that's my point.

[img][/img]
Krumple

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 05:36 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Krumple wrote:
preditors

Why is it that far-right dumb fucks can't spell for ****?

Here comes the spelling Nazi! Hes never made a spelling mistake but he sure has bad reading comprehension, thinking I'm right wing when I'm not.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 07:01 pm
@Krumple,
Ignore the personal attacks Krumple. It doesn't make their argument any stronger to anyone outside the liberal bubble...

I am a fact-based liberal. I don't like the ideological liberalism where facts don't matter, and personal attacks are at the core of the argument.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 08:24 pm
@maxdancona,
I read all of you folks recently mentioned - so far. None of us are saints, not Max either, though that is his modis operandi.

I take you as an angry guy, Max, and will suppose some of that is with good reason, and you aren't alone among angry posters.

ideological liberalism where facts don't matter

I don't think a single friend of mine with often liberal views takes that stance.

Also, my conservative friends or family are not insane, they have bases for their views.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 08:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:

I don't think a single friend of mine with often liberal views takes that stance.

Do your liberal friends point out when the facts contradict the prevailing liberal political narrative (any more than conservatives point out when facts contradict the conservative narrative)?

Here on Able2know and elsewhere when you question the ideological narrative with facts that contradict it... the response is not discussion, or debate or counter fact.

Liberals are responding with personal attacks to shut out dissenting opinions. You saw this in the primary with Hillary supporters destroying the Bernie campaign with charges of sexism. You see this with active campaigns to prevent points of view from being expressed on college campuses.

This is part of the reason that we lost the election to Trump. When a man who bragged about grabbing women "by the pussy" runing against a feminist candidate wins 42% of the female vote... you know that something wrong with your message.

I am not sure I am angry about this. But the point that you can't express an opinion that questions the ideological narratuve without facing personal attacks is annoying. And it is frustrating that progressive ideas are losing in the public square because the insistance on ideological purity turns off people who don't like being called sexist.

There are lots of facts that bring into question parts of the liberal ideological narrative. If your friends accept this, than I give them respect.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 09:11 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Racism could not exist without bias.

Maybe racism cannot exist without bias, but bias can exist without racism.