Racism and Bias

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 03:17 pm
Doing the math, is it NOT biased, in my opinion, to have a low opinion of most people. It may just be a person's orientation to people. We're all not gregarious, extroverts.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 03:24 pm
@Foofie,
When things are taken to extreme, to the margin or "fringe" they are biased.

Logic and rational are what center our world perspective.

When we become biased we become cultish and our perspective becomes narrowed by, erm, fake news.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 04:01 pm
@TheCobbler,
That's your own personal definition.
centrox

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 04:34 pm
There is a name for the type of dishonest and specious type of argument where two distinct meanings of a word are selectively conflated, but I can't remember it just now.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 05:05 pm
@centrox,
There's also a narrative from certain right wing posters that racism and prejudice are two separate things, meaning that only the most extreme acts of racism are classed as racist. I think that's a load of bollocks and this thread unfortunately supports said bollocks like a truss.
madamyes1999

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
In the U.S.A. you don't have a right to prevent people of different races from accessing public places and moving freely on public streets and driving on public roads. You have a Constitutional right to discriminate and bar other races from your private spaces -- your home, your car, your boat, your private racially restricted clubs, private racially restricted schools, white supremacist churches, etc. But you have no constitutional right to ban other races from public places because you want to live in a whites only society. If you own a business open to the general public, say a restaurant or a florist shop, you can't ban other races from patronizing your establishment simply because you don't want other races as customers. Well, I suppose you actually could but you would open yourself to a discrimination lawsuit which you would almost certainly lose. Your best course of action would be to find a town/area/community where there are an overwhelming majority of whites only -- say upwards of 95% white -- and when you encounter the rare 5% of that population that is non white just keep your distance, grin and bear it. I would strongly discourage you from racially harassing them or using violence against them, though. That conduct is immoral and illegal. You might want to move to Sweden or Norway or Russia or Iceland, a country predominantly white in the extreme, but you will find small numbers of non whites even in places like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc. Unfortunately for you, you will not be able to expel non whites from the U.S. unless there is a revolution, the Constitution is obliterated and some kind of new apartheid nation is established as a replacement for the overthrown and defunct nation formerly known as the United States of America. If that's your dream, good luck with it. I personally believe in liberty, equality, freedom and justice for all as provided for in the U.S. Constitution. But you should network with neo Nazis, skinheads and other white supremacist groups who should be able to assist you in finding the least racially diverse areas around the world that you would be much happier living in. Best of luck to you in finding a pure white wonderland.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 06:42 pm
@madamyes1999,
So you don't know people here very well, huh?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 06:54 pm
@McGentrix,
Madamyes doesn't know the Constitution very well either.

I wonder if he or she even looked at the reference I posted before going on that rant, or bothered to figure out why the "commerce clause" is important to the post I made.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:25 am
@madamyes1999,
That must be why organisations like BLM exist, because of all the liberty, equality, freedom and justice for all.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:32 am
@TheCobbler,
The first step to stop bias or racism or tribalism on its tracks is to recognize they are natural which most of us don't.

...and no bias is not racism rather racism is a particular form of Bias...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 06:54 am
Interesting to imagine what isolated tribes thought when they first encountered humans that looked distinctly different than all they'd seen previously.

The Middle Eastern description of Vikings was sort of hilarious. Have to see if I can find a link.

I think sheltered or limited humans' initial, gut reaction to people who look and behave differently is suspicion. Hopefully, educated or traveled people have evolved that reaction to curiosity and legitimate interest.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:11 am
@TheCobbler,
So if for instance I said that a newspaper was biased towards conservatives or conservatism, would that imply something different to you than if I said a newspaper preferred or favored conservatives. Is the latter statement of preference more justified because somehow that preference comes from taste and intelligence whereas the former comes from ignorance. Most people would not interpret a distinction between the two like you have. Their immediate thought would not be "this newspaper prefers conservatives. it's not biased though." Bias does have the negative prejudicial connotation but that does not mean that expressions of preference are not biased.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:15 am
@perennialloner,
A Newspaper doesn't do preference a business selling cheap talk to a target market does.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:18 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I dont think that really matters to the point im trying to make? Someone could plausibly say something like that to indicate a bias. "Yada yada news outlet loves republicans" and my last sentence still stands.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:32 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

When things are taken to extreme, to the margin or "fringe" they are biased.

Logic and rational are what center our world perspective.

When we become biased we become cultish and our perspective becomes narrowed by, erm, fake news.

You might be making a case against "generalizations"? However, bias is not racism, since in the U.S. one can pursue happiness (within the law), so not associating with one or another group is just one's preference, perhaps based on bias, or perhaps based on one's own ethnocentric level of comfort. We are not obligated to make everyone feel welcomed. We are not Welcome Wagons for the gregarious.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's also a narrative from certain right wing posters that racism and prejudice are two separate things, meaning that only the most extreme acts of racism are classed as racist. I think that's a load of bollocks and this thread unfortunately supports said bollocks like a truss.

In my opinion, much of the argument about racism or bias reflects some folks desire to have the moral high ground. I say this since one iota of racism is supposedly as immoral as genocide based on race. There are degrees of everything, even in boiling eggs.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Suddenly (according to you), to be biased is a good thing.

Nationalism, any kind of "ism", is suddenly fine, racism, sexism...

All because Izzy says bias is okay...

When one points out that racism is bias, then (some) people are quick to point out that love of chocolate is bias.

Really?

You are going to somehow try and compare love of chocolate to racial hate?

Love of chocolate falls under the category of preference where racism is bias in its worst progression.

Political bias, is sticking to partisan issues whether they be wrong or right.

Doing what is right regardless of party affiliation is not bias it is being unbiased.

You know the word, unbiased? There is such a thing as being "unbiased", the state thereof truly exists...
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:37 pm
@TheCobbler,
Racial hate is not a good thing, and you're the one using euphemisms to conceal its impact.

Why are you so accepting of the racist's vocabulary?
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I believe all words have meaning, they are precise like math.

I am currently writing a song in Norwegian, words not only have meaning but they have sounds and vibrations.

Words are the product of people and there is no "racist's vocabulary". Racists, they take words and subvert them.

"Bias" is a mathematical term meaning, the motion of a line drawn from the center of a circle to the edge. The line leaves the collective body for an understanding outside of accepted norms and the rational of the whole.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 05:32 pm
TheCobbler wrote:
Nationalism, any kind of "ism", is suddenly fine, racism, sexism...

IzzyThePush wrote:
and you're the one using euphemisms to conceal its impact

Personally I am OK with euphemism, and I like altruism and idealism (if it isn't excessive). And, of course, I love a prism (which can make a pretty rainbow). And sometimes even a schism can be Great.