Who is the best pitcher of all time?

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:32 am
@chones2000,
chones2000 wrote:

Hey Guy, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Gary Peters!! You've got to be kidding me. I'll take Sandy any day of the week.

So would I.

chones2000 wrote:
Simply the BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Mrs. Koufax.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:50 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

from the start of 2001 to the end of 2002 this is what Randy Johnson did....in a baseball Hitters park (bank one) and in a steriod era....

pitched 2 full seasons....45-11 record, won 2 Cy young's, he tied the record with 20 k's in a game, he pitched a perfect game, won the world series, and was world series co MVP (though he probably deserved himself alone)...in 2 yrs!....

give some more facts that show more dominance than that....from any pitcher ever!....

That's not much of a challenge. Considering that Curt Schilling put up comparable numbers, not only in the same years but on the same team, Johnson's achievements look a bit less awesome. There are, in fact, plenty of pitchers who have put up similarly impressive stats over a two-year period. A few off the top of my head:

Christy Mathewson 1908-09
Grover Cleveland Alexander 1915-16
Lefty Grove 1930-31
Dizzy Dean 1934-35
Hal Newhouser 1944-45 and 1945-46
Denny McLain 1968-69
Roger Clemens 1986-87
Pedro Martinez 1999-2000
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:54 am
@joefromchicago,

i'd toss dwight gooden's first two seasons onto the pile...
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:01 am
@Region Philbis,
Gooden's 1985 season was simply amazing. That man wasted more talent than most pitchers ever retain.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:18 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
That's not much of a challenge. Considering that Curt Schilling put up comparable numbers, not only in the same years but on the same team, Johnson's achievements look a bit less awesome. There are, in fact, plenty of pitchers who have put up similarly impressive stats over a two-year period. A few off the top of my head:

Christy Mathewson 1908-09
Grover Cleveland Alexander 1915-16
Lefty Grove 1930-31
Dizzy Dean 1934-35
Hal Newhouser 1944-45 and 1945-46
Denny McLain 1968-69
Roger Clemens 1986-87
Pedro Martinez 1999-2000

and I don't even have to look at their stats, the ONLY 2 worthy are pedro and clemens...because if hitting was WORSE back in the day, then it's HARDER to pitch today! simply put....and clemens did steroids, so the ONLY comparible one is Pedro, and I'd take Johnson over Pedro...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:22 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Let me be clear: I didn't say that they put too much emphasis on wins/losses, I said that they can put too much emphasis on wins/losses. Wins and losses still matter because ultimately the pitcher's job is to win games, and wins/losses are still the best measure of a pitcher's performance in that respect.

As for my point regarding Felix Hernandez's unearned runs, it was merely an observation that Hernandez's ERA was helped by Seattle's bad defense. It would take a far more sophisticated analysis than I am able to offer to determine how much Hernandez was helped, but it's something to bear in mind.

and your view point is WELL taken and understood, but if that's your view, (which is perfectly fine) then in order to keep the variables the SAME, you would have to do the same with Price...which would mean his era would STILL be higher than Felix's
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:16 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
and I don't even have to look at their stats,

I'm sure that makes things much easier.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
the ONLY 2 worthy are pedro and clemens...because if hitting was WORSE back in the day, then it's HARDER to pitch today!

Lefty Grove had a 2.54 ERA in 1930 when the batting average for the American League as a whole was .288. In 1934, when Dizzy Dean recorded a 2.66 ERA, the average NL hitter was hitting .279. In contrast, Johnson was pitching at a time when the average NL hitter was hitting at around .260.

In any event, it doesn't really matter if pitching is easier or harder, since pitchers are measured against their contemporaries, not against some invariable yardstick. The pitchers that I listed had great seasons because they were far better than the other pitchers who were active in those seasons. But by all means continue to ignore the stats. It makes your argument sound lots more persuasive.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 02:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Lefty Grove had a 2.54 ERA in 1930 when the batting average for the American League as a whole was .288. In 1934, when Dizzy Dean recorded a 2.66 ERA, the average NL hitter was hitting .279. In contrast, Johnson was pitching at a time when the average NL hitter was hitting at around .260.

In any event, it doesn't really matter if pitching is easier or harder, since pitchers are measured against their contemporaries, not against some invariable yardstick. The pitchers that I listed had great seasons because they were far better than the other pitchers who were active in those seasons. But by all means continue to ignore the stats. It makes your argument sound lots more persuasive.

that's a fine point you made with batting averages...but tell me what was the average of home runs hit in a 9/inning game back in the 30's with koosh balls...compared to pedro's or Johnson's seasons?? when they harden the balls, and move the fences in?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:25 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
that's a fine point you made with batting averages...but tell me what was the average of home runs hit in a 9/inning game back in the 30's with koosh balls...compared to pedro's or Johnson's seasons?? when they harden the balls, and move the fences in?

I don't know why any of that would matter. As long as Lefty Grove and the rest of the AL pitchers were all using the same type of baseballs and pitching in the same parks, it doesn't matter that somebody seventy years later pitched with a different type of baseball in different parks. Like I said before, you judge a player based on how he did against his contemporaries, not against some invariable standard. Randy Johnson's 2.49 ERA in 2001 would have looked rather mediocre in 1908. His 21 wins doesn't even put him in the top 500 for single-season win totals.

In any event, there were .63 home runs hit per game in 1930. In 2001, there were 1.12 HRs per game. I'm not sure what that proves. If you're concerned with ERA, the important stat isn't the number of home runs per game but rather the number of runs. In 1930, each team averaged 5.55 runs per game. In 2001, each team averaged 4.78 runs per game. Lefty Grove had an ERA of 2.54 in 1930 when the average ERA in the American League was 4.65. Randy Johnson had a 2.49 ERA in 2001 when the average ERA in the NL was 4.36. Grove was 0.73 run better than Wes Ferrell, the ERA runner-up in the AL. Johnson was o.49 run better than Curt Schilling, the ERA runner-up in the NL. Grove led his league in strikeouts; so did Johnson. Grove led his league in wins; Johnson didn't.

They're roughly comparable, but I give the edge to Grove. Now, does that mean that Grove could strike out Albert Pujols? I have no idea. But I know he struck out Babe Ruth.
patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:30 pm
Eventually you're going to have to settle on Satchel Paige and be done with it.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:15 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
His 21 wins doesn't even put him in the top 500 for single-season win totals.

Are you forgetting that teams used a 3 man rotation back then?? so that Cy Young's 30 games in a season will NEVER be broken??

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:56 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
In any event, there were .63 home runs hit per game in 1930. In 2001, there were 1.12 HRs per game. I'm not sure what that proves. If you're concerned with ERA, the important stat isn't the number of home runs per game but rather the number of runs. In 1930, each team averaged 5.55 runs per game. In 2001, each team averaged 4.78 runs per game. Lefty Grove had an ERA of 2.54 in 1930 when the average ERA in the American League was 4.65. Randy Johnson had a 2.49 ERA in 2001 when the average ERA in the NL was 4.36. Grove was 0.73 run better than Wes Ferrell, the ERA runner-up in the AL. Johnson was o.49 run better than Curt Schilling, the ERA runner-up in the NL. Grove led his league in strikeouts; so did Johnson. Grove led his league in wins; Johnson didn't.

I can and will explain how this is so...

First, there were many more single or double hitters back in the day, but more power stokers today...with in a hitters park (Arizona) and more home run hitting guys, it impacts Johnson's stats...the short you had a few dominant pitchers back then, but as a whole they were worse pitchers then they are today, and pitchers as a whole are BETTER today, meaning if your comparing pitchers by the standard of their contemporaries then a pitcher stats today, are more valid that 70+ years ago....was Justin verlander's season and stats not one of the greatest in memory??

If not, why did he win both the cy and MVP? and 2 if it was a memorable season, where does his 23 wins rank in terms of top 500 ever??
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 10:10 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Are you forgetting that teams used a 3 man rotation back then?? so that Cy Young's 30 games in a season will NEVER be broken??

There's so much dumb packed into this short question that it will be difficult to disentangle it all. First of all, teams used four-man rotations in the 1930s. George Earnshaw led the AL in starts in 1930 with 39, compared with the 35 starts that led the NL in 2001, when teams typically relied on five-man rotations. If they had used three-man rotations, pitchers should have been starting forty or fifty games in a season, as they did in the 1890s. Secondly, Cy Young doesn't hold the single-season record for wins, he holds the career record. The single-season record is held by Charles "Old Hoss" Radbourn, who won 59 games in 1884. And if you had actually checked the stats (I know you don't do that, but try it some time, you might learn something), you'd see that the last time someone won thirty or more games in a season was 1968, well after Cy Young finished his pitching career.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
I can and will explain how this is so...

This oughta' be good.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
First, there were many more single or double hitters back in the day, but more power stokers today...with in a hitters park (Arizona) and more home run hitting guys, it impacts Johnson's stats...

Of course it does, but then it has the same impact on Johnson's stats as on every other pitcher's stats in that year. That's my point: it doesn't matter that Johnson faced more home run hitters in 2001 than Lefty Grove faced in 1930, any more than it matters that Grove faced more doubles-hitters than Johnson. It only matters that Johnson outperformed his contemporaries and by how much.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
the short you had a few dominant pitchers back then, but as a whole they were worse pitchers then they are today, and pitchers as a whole are BETTER today, meaning if your comparing pitchers by the standard of their contemporaries then a pitcher stats today, are more valid that 70+ years ago....

Well, that just doesn't make any sense, and not just in a statistically verifiable or logical sort of way, but also in an English-grammar sort of a way. There were only sixteen major league teams in 1930, and each team carried around ten pitchers, meaning that there were only about 160 major-league pitching jobs in 1930. Compare that with 2001, where there were thirty teams carrying around twelve pitchers each, or approximately 360 major-league pitching jobs. Just considering the dilution of talent, it's difficult to imagine how the best 160 pitchers of 1930 were somehow worse, on average, than the best 360 pitchers of 2001. But then none of that matters anyway, because there's no point in comparing players from different eras -- the only valid measurement is how players compared with the guys who played at the same time.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
was Justin verlander's season and stats not one of the greatest in memory??

Depends on whose memory we're talking about. If you're that guy from Memento, you might be right. On the other hand, if you can remember as far back as 1978 or so, like I can, then you probably wouldn't make that kind of idiotic statement.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
If not, why did he win both the cy and MVP?

Verlander is the seventh pitcher to win both the MVP and Cy Young Awards in the same season. It's a tremendous achievement, but it's not unprecedented. Lefty Grove, admittedly, never won the Cy Young Award, largely because the Cy Young Award didn't exist until 1956, after he had retired from baseball. He did, however, win the AL MVP in 1931.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
and 2 if it was a memorable season, where does his 23 wins rank in terms of top 500 ever??

Tied for 441st place.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 06:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
You posted,

Quote:

then I said, better pure hitters then, worse pitchers then...and you said:

Quote:
Well, that just doesn't make any sense, and not just in a statistically verifiable or logical sort of way, but also in an English-grammar sort of a way. There were only sixteen major league teams in 1930, and each team carried around ten pitchers, meaning that there were only about 160 major-league pitching jobs in 1930. Compare that with 2001, where there were thirty teams carrying around twelve pitchers each, or approximately 360 major-league pitching jobs. Just considering the dilution of talent, it's difficult to imagine how the best 160 pitchers of 1930 were somehow worse, on average, than the best 360 pitchers of 2001. But then none of that matters anyway, because there's no point in comparing players from different eras -- the only valid measurement is how players compared with the guys who played at the same time.

So I will say again, Please reread the facts you listed above, which shows that it is stiffer and harder to perform as well today, as a pitcher as it was back in the 30's

You dodged my question altogether, SO I will reword it another way, if Justin Verlander had a great season, in which 7 players have EVER done...then by simple understandings means it was "close" to one of the 7 most dominant by a pitcher ever! (least award wise it was) and I say close, because there are variables that go into it such as awards not being given out back years ago) But in terms of when awards came into play, then it was! (if you disagree, then go complain to the voters who gave him the cy young and MVP, not me) So if it was close to one of the 7 greatest since awards have been around, then what does that say about your argument of randy's 21 wins, not making the top 500, and verlander's 441st...is rather a weak argument of "how great, and dominant a pitcher, and or season was"
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 06:38 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
But then none of that matters anyway, because there's no point in comparing players from different eras -- the only valid measurement is how players compared with the guys who played at the same time.

May I remind you, that it was YOU who brought up guys from the 30's in comparison to Randy Johnson's stats, when "I claimed" he was the MOST dominant ever....So if that is "really how you feel'' then I would be asking yourself, why lefty groves stats have ANY] bearing to Randy's??
Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:46 pm
What was that speeding object? I think it flew right by so fast.

Oh, I know what it was.

It was the fun running right out of this thread. Shocked Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:09 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
So I will say again, Please reread the facts you listed above, which shows that it is stiffer and harder to perform as well today, as a pitcher as it was back in the 30's

I can't imagine why you'd think that. The facts I posted say no such thing.

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
You dodged my question altogether, SO I will reword it another way, if Justin Verlander had a great season, in which 7 players have EVER done...then by simple understandings means it was "close" to one of the 7 most dominant by a pitcher ever! (least award wise it was) and I say close, because there are variables that go into it such as awards not being given out back years ago) But in terms of when awards came into play, then it was! (if you disagree, then go complain to the voters who gave him the cy young and MVP, not me) So if it was close to one of the 7 greatest since awards have been around, then what does that say about your argument of randy's 21 wins, not making the top 500, and verlander's 441st...is rather a weak argument of "how great, and dominant a pitcher, and or season was"

Well, I'm not sure why we're talking about Justin Verlander now -- don't you want to talk about Randy Johnson any more? But if you want to argue that Verlander's season in 2011 was better than Johnson's in 2001 or 2002, go right ahead. Verlander obviously had a very good season. I'd argue it wasn't the best ever -- I don't even think it was the best season ever by a Tigers pitcher -- but if you're content with it being one of the seven best seasons by a pitcher since 1956, I'm fine with that.

I'm not sure what that says about Randy Johnson's stats, except that he never won the MVP award in either league, so I suppose that means that you don't think he was as dominant in 2001 or 2002 as Verlander was in 2011, which I guess means that you are now retracting your claim about Johnson being the most dominant pitcher. In which case I graciously accept your retraction.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:13 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
May I remind you, that it was YOU who brought up guys from the 30's in comparison to Randy Johnson's stats, when "I claimed" he was the MOST dominant ever....So if that is "really how you feel'' then I would be asking yourself, why lefty groves stats have ANY] bearing to Randy's??

No, when you said that Randy Johnson's two-year span of 2001-02 was the most dominant ever, you brought up the comparison between Johnson and every other pitcher. After all, you can't say that he was the most dominant ever unless you're comparing him to all the other less-dominant pitchers. When I mentioned Grove (among others), I was merely naming a few of the pitchers that you failed to identify. Don't kid yourself, though, into thinking that you weren't making a comparison.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
No, when you said that Randy Johnson's two-year span of 2001-02 was the most dominant ever, you brought up the comparison between Johnson and every other pitcher. After all, you can't say that he was the most dominant ever unless you're comparing him to all the other less-dominant pitchers. When I mentioned Grove (among others), I was merely naming a few of the pitchers that you failed to identify. Don't kid yourself, though, into thinking that you weren't making a comparison.

Then, the correct response would have been (in reference to me) there is NO POINT in comparing other players to Randy's, and I would have agreed, and restated my views...

Secondly,

What does this?

Quote:
Lefty Grove had an ERA of 2.54 in 1930 when the average ERA in the American League was 4.65. Randy Johnson had a 2.49 ERA in 2001 when the average ERA in the NL was 4.36. Grove was 0.73 run better than Wes Ferrell, the ERA runner-up in the AL. Johnson was o.49 run better than Curt Schilling, the ERA runner-up in the NL.
And these Bold statements....
Quote:

Have ANYTHING to do with this?? (in regards to Pitchers being worse or not worse??)

(So I will say again, Please reread the facts you listed above, which shows that it is stiffer and harder to perform as well today, as a pitcher as it was back in the 30's?)

[/b] Think about it, How does the above Bold texts "Not Prove" what I said?? ) If the average Era was Higher back then, and the leaders (Lefty Grove) had a HIGHER era than pitchers who lead in today's game, and there is "more substantial proof" such as 160 pitchers back then, and as many as 360 or so today, how is this not relighable evidence, that "suggests" it is in fact "harder to excel at pitching" in today's game then it was many era's ago??

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:16 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I'm following this for fun - I like baseball but am not a statistics rememberer or carer, but I used to read about players' careers, so it's good to see the names again.

A hint, though, to SpadeMaster, yelling in bold at JoefromChicago will not convince him of anything ever. He can read.
0 Replies