Who is the best pitcher of all time?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:19 pm
I was going to say Sandy Koufax too, though I don't know how high up on the list he would be.

I used to like Fernando Valenzuela a lot, but I know his stats aren't near top rung at all.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm
Uhhh...for the most part Rivera absolutely is dominating, and he's definitely an elite pitcher. All closers blow saves at one point or another.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:54 pm
When i read the name of the thread this what came to mind:

Nolan Ryan
Randy Johnson
Sandy Koufax

who was that one handed pitcher? cant remember his name but wasnt he pretty good?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
Jim Abbott
his numbers aren't that great, until you consider he did it with one hand...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:31 am
thats the playa... yea thats why think he's pretty dang good
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
Quote:
And for the short term, I don't know who was more dominating in his prime than Pedro Martinez. I'm not saying he was the best pitcher ever, but at one point he was as good as anyone ever was.

What about Bob Gibson around 1967 and 1968? I weren't alive to see him, but the numbers are ridiculous. A 1.12 ERA with 13 shutouts in 1968? Crazy.

I do remember Orel Hershiser's scoreless inning streak in 1988. Not one of the best ever for his career, but certainly over a chunk of a season he was unbeatable.

Career-wise...

I've heard baseball people say that Nolan Ryan threw so many no-hitters because that's all he wanted to do -- so he was unwilling to give up a two-out single in order to save his best stuff for later in the game.

Now, of people I've seen, Clemens and Randy Johnson have been the best for the longest.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:05 pm
patiodog is right about Gibson. He was so dominating that year that they lowered the pitchers mound to give the batters a fighting chance.

The problem with a question like this is that we can only vote for those we've seen or read about recently. It's like when the fans vote for the 50 best players of all time, and they're all guys from the past 20 years. It's human nature...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
I have to agree with you on that one D'artagnan. its a shame that those we havnt been able to see are left out in the cold and rain there were some great pitchers back in the day
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:34 pm
Yeah, but it's still fun to discuss.

Did any of you guys ever see that video of the time Randy Johnson vaporized the bird with one of his pitches? That's some serious smoke he's throwin'.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:36 pm
yea i had it on my comp... oh it was great... now if only he could do that to chipper jones...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
seed are u trying to pick a fight with d'art? :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
Hee hee...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:41 pm
I wonder about the mound... Got lowered in late 60s, the 70s saw the rise of the relief pitcher (including Mike Marshall's record number of appearances for LA, if I recomember right). I wonder if there's a connection between the two events.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
no not at all... what makes you think that?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
My first reaction to the question was: Sandy Koufax.
Of course that's because I saw his great WS performances as a child. And one is impressionable as a child.

My second choice was between Bob Gibson, Satchel Paige and Nolan Ryan.
But then, we can't really know how good Paige was, because of the racial divide.
The racial divide is also a reason against voting for old time greats none of us ever saw, like Walter Johnson or Cy Young.
Gibson was incredibly dominating for a few years, but Ryan lasted longer (I believe a no-hitter is more a matter of destiny than a matter of mastery: they don't make the difference). So I'll go with Ryan.
Third place for Gibson.

BTW, I don't think any closer is anywhere near the other greats.
It's become a different job, and a closer has, usually, about 2 less points in ERA than a starter.
When a closer is below 1.50 ERA for several seasons in a row, we'll talk again.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:44 pm
i dont think the dropping of the mound and the rise of the relief pitcher has anything to do besides being able to raise heir self confidence....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
Chipper is my favorite Brave, but I'll forgive you, Seed...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
oh im sorry... not a braves fan AT ALL... although is he a great player... just not a fan of the team or him... remember when he got popped in the mouth by that line drive a couple years back?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:49 pm
Baseball is a game of stats and no pitcher comes close to Cy Young.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:07 pm
No prob, Seed. Chipper and I happen to share the same first name...
0 Replies