Who is the best pitcher of all time?

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:07 pm

so, lawrence... Smile where does mr. maddux fit in the equation?
17 straight seasons of 15 wins is something not even the mighty cy young managed to do...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:45 pm
Maddux will never be considered one of the best because of his lack of power.

If you look at most of our suggestions, they are all power pitchers....Your Bobby Gibsons, Nolan Ryans, Roger Clemens etc.

Even though Maddux can go out and pitch a complete game shut out with 80 pitches and 3 K's, he won't wow too many people.

His streak of 15 win seasons is very impressive, especially considering his physique and him managing to avoid serious injury for all those years.

Now that I have thought about this...Maddux is without a doubt the best "pitcher" I have ever seen on tape or in person.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:33 pm
so is that why you like him?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:43 am
Maddux is the kind of pitcher that is consistently underrated. Wily, smart, economical. Such pitchers throw far fewer pitches than the power pitchers, but they just don't look as good when they win. Whitey Ford was this kind of a pitcher. I loved to watch him at the Stadium.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
Just like his virtual technique twin and teammate Eddie Lopat.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:07 am
I would've mentioned Maddux, who I believe is worthy of consideration, except I figured it would be considered special pleading for a former Brave.

So I nominated Warren Spahn instead (heh, heh...)
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:13 am
to be the greatest pitcher i think they need to have power and ablity to stick it out. i think if we do this we nned to set out some rules as to what should go into the greatest pitcher.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:15 am
Perhaps the question should have been, "Who was the greatest power pitcher of all time?"

But it wasn't...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:19 am
this is true. so why not set up give a different question now? i.e best power pitcher, best skilled, best duration?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
Off your subject a bit Seed (sorry!!) but just wanted to toss a couple of other names into the hat that I hadn't seen mentioned so far. Juan Marichal when he was with the Giants during the 60's and also Catfish Hunter. Marichal holds a special place in my heart as I used to spend many sweet afternoon weekends at Candlestick Park during the late 60's as a kid. It was, in my opinion, some of the best summers of my life....Marichal, Mays, McCovey, Bonds, Spiers, Haller....sigh...good days. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:38 am
Best pitcher of all time? Lefty Grove.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:53 am
Oh my god, I think that is the most obscure reference I've heard since my insane friend wrote a book about a guy named Hal Chase. Ever heard of him?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:44 am
kickycan wrote:
Oh my god, I think that is the most obscure reference I've heard since my insane friend wrote a book about a guy named Hal Chase. Ever heard of him?

If it's this book, I haven't read it, but I'd certainly like to get it some day. Hal Chase was, to put it mildly, a very interesting character in early 20th century baseball, which is an era in which I am particularly interested.
jackiel

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
ok guys i will make this short and sweet the best pitcher of all time has an award named after him Mr.Cy Young ...really do doubt
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 03:34 am
I wrote:
closer-wise, eric gagne has the potential to be as good, if not better than mariano rivera.

Embarrassed
patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 05:41 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah, I noticed that...
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 05:47 am
@patiodog,

so young, so innocent, so unassumingly naïve back then...
patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Don't worry, Reg. You're still young and innocent. Just a little jaded now.

It's very sexy on you.
jespah

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:30 am
@patiodog,
My oh my.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 11:52 am
@Lady J,
Randy is the best. Nolan ryan was amazing but due to the way they give wins and losses nolan never won a cy young and many pitchers above wins/loss % because nolan played on bad teams. though i do think no one will ever break his k's or 7 no hitters record. and clemens forget him he was good but he used roids so no telling how much his stats are inflated beecause of that