Bush Foresaw 0 war casualties

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:43 am
It's your freedom to not have bombs dropped on your head while taking your morning constitutional in Iowa.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
That was so cute I hate to argue with it.

There is that tiny little detail of bombs not being able to reach here from Iraq....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:56 am
Unless they give them to Habib Muhammed who brings them into America and then goes to the Galleria on Christmas eve and blows himself up.

Not too out of the realm of possibility pre-9/11. Now we KNOW that bomb will not be Iraqi made...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
Quote:
Now we KNOW that bomb will not be Iraqi made...

How to arrive at certainty...bomb the **** out of absolutely everyone who isn't oneself. The more dead people one might create around oneself, the less likely they are to strike out and bring hurties.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:04 pm
psst...it isn't a good argument
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
Oh, I think I'm getting it.

Some men die in war as heros, some just die.
The heros are heros, the others just the casualties of war.

So when Bush said there would be no casualties he meant that all those dying would fall as heros.

Should we check and see if his medication should be increased?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
panzade wrote:
Quote:
"Clearly you don't, which is hardly a crime or necessarily a flaw."

A great straw man to start your riposte.

You admitted to not "getting it," and it was clear that this was the case. In the context of your posting, I do "get it," but I have acknowledged that your inability to join me in my comprehension doesn't make you a traitor (a charge sometimes levelled in discussions on war) or even, for that matter, wrong.

I fail to see how this is setting up a straw man, but if you prefer to think so, be my guest.

Quote:
"It is not difficult to understand how one might not "get it" if one focuses on the loss of a young life and the direct consequences of that death."

You don't seem to get the point that my ire was towards the spokesman and his using the death of a marine by mortar round to advance the cause of American freedom

On the contrary, I do get your point (although I am beginning to think that you have missed all of mine) and it is that point to which I have responded.

We hope and expect that the deaths of our marines advance the cause of American freedom. Do we not?

Are you insinuating that the man who drew your ire made his statement despite believing it to be false?

If we accept, for even the briefest of moments, that the spokesman believes the War in Iraq is advancing the cause of American freedom, what is your complaint with his making the comment he made and which might easily have provided comfort to the young man's family?

Quote:
"It would certainly seem that in the case of this young man, his death will leave a devastated family and a grieving community. We were not provided with the circumstances of his death, but unless the young man died saving innocent women and children, it's hard to imagine that we could ever obtain a consensus that his death was somehow worthwhile."

The fact that the young man died to defend American freedom is delusional. My point was crystal clear...or opinion as you like.

Well, I would prefer to think that the argument that the young man died to defend American freedom is a matter of opinion. If you prefer to label it as delusional, again, so be it.

Quote:
"Not every solider in a just war dies as a classical hero."

I was very clear that I don't think this is a just war.

I never suggested otherwise. Refer back to my post where I wrote:

If we assume, for argument's sake, that there can be a just war, with the continued waving of the flag and flight of the eagle its clear consequences, then it is less difficult to accept the value of the deaths of young men and women, but even within that context we are faced with the task of balancing cause and effect.

My point was that even in a war we might all agree upon as being just, there will be deaths which are hard to reconcile with the advancement of the just cause. How much harder is it then to justify the death of a soldier in a war the justice of which we do not all accept? It is becoming increasingly clear though that you do not accept the notion that reasonable minds might disagree on the war in question.

Quote:
"If one focuses solely on the cause and effect of an individual's death, it will be the very rare instance when one can clearly "get" its value. Even if this young man died while drinking his morning coffee, he died so that the flag may continue to wave and the eagle continue to fly...if, one accepts that the war in which he was involved serves that end.

A lot of verbiage to explain that you feel the war is helping the eagle and flag fly. Now Fin, you clever buzzard...explain why.

Clearly I have failed to impress upon you my point.

My point is not at all that the Iraq war is advancing American freedom (although I do believe this to be the case), but that in any war, even one we all believe to be just, it is difficult to reconcile the death of an individual with a just cause, and particularly so if some act of classical heroism was not involved.

Wars do not coincide with our culture's romantic vision of the White Knight squaring off against the Black and either defeating him or nobly perishing in the effort.

This does not mean that war is not sometimes necessary and that the deaths of those fighting them are not noble.

Because we cannot draw the bright line between the death of a marine and a noble cause doesn't make his sacrifice a waste. Because we all do not agree on the justification of the war doesn't make his sacrifice a waste.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:10 pm
Quote:
but that in any war, even one we all believe to be just, it is difficult to reconcile the death of an individual with a just cause, and particularly so if some act of classical heroism was not involved.

In this case, since in my opinion it is not a just cause and it does not guarantee the safety of our Idaho citizens to take a dump al fresco, there is no distinction between the death of a Marine on KP duty in Iraq or a corporal who dies heroically storming a Shiite temple. Both deaths are a waste.

You see finn, the problem with blasting all the perceived enemies in the world is that you waste human life and human life is precious. All I'm asking for is a little more honesty in our foreign policy...so that these daily gravesite ceremonies come to a halt.

Do me a favor. Have you ever stood at the Viet Nam War Memorial and run your fingers over all the names? It takes a long time to do. I've done it and it made me wonder. What was the cause? Was it heroic? Did it change the world for the better? Are we safer now because those names are on the wall?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:21 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Oh, I think I'm getting it.

Some men die in war as heros, some just die.
The heros are heros, the others just the casualties of war.

So when Bush said there would be no casualties he meant that all those dying would fall as heros.

Oh wow! NOW it is clear...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:26 pm
eh i try not to post in threads like this... for one: i am an american solider two: i do not believe in what is going on three: i believe my opinions are not always as informed as they should be (which is totally my fault for not knowing, well caring would be a better word) and four: bcause when i post i get comments and they make me mad... and when i get mad i want to lash out at people... one example, not on a forum but in real life.... i was walking in wal-mart just after my national guard drill still in uniform when this kid, no more then 16 spit on me and called me a baby killer. i have not, nor will i ever kill a baby... nor do i hve plans for doing such... I was rather proud of myself... i did not lash out as this child, i did not strike him nor did i call him names. i walked away... but boy was there a stream of obsenities going through my mind... i guess it all boils down to what kicky calls tolerance...
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:44 pm
So, we are supposed to accept that our president doesn't understand the meaning of the word, "casualty?" Shocked What, are Frank and I the only 2 uncomfortable that our president is an idiot??? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=casualty
Quote:
ca·su·al·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kzh-l-t)
n. pl. ca·su·al·ties
An accident, especially one involving serious injury or loss of life.
One injured or killed in an accident: a train wreck with many casualties.
One injured, killed, captured, or missing in action through engagement with an enemy. Often used in the plural: Battlefield casualties were high.
One that is harmed or eliminated as a result of an action or a circumstance: The corner grocery was a casualty of the expanding supermarkets.

Either Bush misused the word in a sentence (which is possible) or he actually believes b.s. Shocked Or Robertson is telling a story which makes the president appear to be delusional or an idiot. Shocked Either seems equally likely... I hope to God you guys are wrong about Bush not understanding how to use the word in a conversation. I am truly hoping Robertson misremembers the conversation... I can find no comfort in our president not understanding what a "casualty" is. Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:27 am
This must have been in Bush's pre-wired days.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:49 pm
panzade wrote:
Quote:
but that in any war, even one we all believe to be just, it is difficult to reconcile the death of an individual with a just cause, and particularly so if some act of classical heroism was not involved.

In this case, since in my opinion it is not a just cause and it does not guarantee the safety of our Idaho citizens to take a dump al fresco, there is no distinction between the death of a Marine on KP duty in Iraq or a corporal who dies heroically storming a Shiite temple. Both deaths are a waste.

I'm sorry you see it that way.

You see finn, the problem with blasting all the perceived enemies in the world is that you waste human life and human life is precious. All I'm asking for is a little more honesty in our foreign policy...so that these daily gravesite ceremonies come to a halt.

First of all, we are not blasting all of the perceived enemies in the world, not by a long shot. We are not even blasting all of our actual enemies.This is the sort of too pervasive hyperbole, served up by Liberals, that rather than making a point, obscures it.

Secondly, somewhere in that facile lecture on the sanctity of human life seems to be the acknowledgement that human life lost in war is not always wasted life. If this is the case, then it is merely a matter of political opinion, not morality, as to whether or not a war is just and therefore whether or not lives lost in that war have been wasted. Having differing opinions on such a matter is reasonable, but the sort of sanctimonious posturing that you have evidenced in this thread is not. For every war that you believe to be just there will be reasonable minds thinking otherwise. I wonder how quietly you will sit before their harangues.

Finally, in asking for a little honesty, you have presumed there is a monumental dishonesty, that those who support the war, in fact, believe as do you, but for any number of insidious reasons are refusing to admit it.
Once they listen to your clarifying screed they might finally admit you are right and they are wrong, and the gravesite ceremonies can come to an end. That is all you are asking for.

Do me a favor. Have you ever stood at the Viet Nam War Memorial and run your fingers over all the names? It takes a long time to do. I've done it and it made me wonder. What was the cause? Was it heroic? Did it change the world for the better? Are we safer now because those names are on the wall?

No wait, you are, after all, asking just one more favor. Favor granted. I have stood at the Viet Nam War Memorial on several occasions, and I have run my fingers along the names of two friends and one cousin. It made me wonder too. It made me wonder where the courage to stand in battle and not run comes from in a man. It made me wonder what they were thinking of just before they died. It made me wonder how I would have acted if I had been in their places. It didn't make me wonder if they were heroic. I knew that by being there they were and that their heroism didn't depend upon the cause of the war in which they fought. I know their families thought of them as heroes, and that their lives were not wasted.

I don't believe Vietnam changed the world for the better, unless it was to help us, in a post WWII world, appreciate that all wars are not just. It's hard to say if it made us safer. It certainly didn't make us safer from the Viet Cong, since we were never in danger from them. Did it have anything to do with checking Soviet expansion, and thus checking an actual danger to us? I don't know for certain. I suspect not, but I will not contend that those who claimed to believe it would were lying bastards with only self serving motives to send troops to that hell hole.

On the other hand, I think Iraq has a chance of changing the world for the better (It certainly is changing Iraq for the better) and for making us safer.
I could be wrong and those chances never existed. I could be right and those chances may still be, ultimately, squandered. In any case, I certainly don't consider myself dishonest on this issue, a war mongerer, or someone easily persuaded to follow a leader into a hole in the ground.

It truly sucks that we must fight wars. What sane person would not want a world free of war? However, as long as the world is not free of tyrants and madmen who seek to compel their will through violent force, the world will not be free of war. No war has been or will be so clearly justified as to garner unanimous support, unless you are prepared to condemn them all, you may wish to restrain your judgmental tendencies on any one.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:08 am
princesspupule wrote:
So, we are supposed to accept that our president doesn't understand the meaning of the word, "casualty?" Shocked What, are Frank and I the only 2 uncomfortable that our president is an idiot??? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=casualty
Quote:
ca·su·al·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kzh-l-t)
n. pl. ca·su·al·ties
An accident, especially one involving serious injury or loss of life.
One injured or killed in an accident: a train wreck with many casualties.
One injured, killed, captured, or missing in action through engagement with an enemy. Often used in the plural: Battlefield casualties were high.
One that is harmed or eliminated as a result of an action or a circumstance: The corner grocery was a casualty of the expanding supermarkets.

Either Bush misused the word in a sentence (which is possible) or he actually believes b.s. Shocked Or Robertson is telling a story which makes the president appear to be delusional or an idiot. Shocked Either seems equally likely... I hope to God you guys are wrong about Bush not understanding how to use the word in a conversation. I am truly hoping Robertson misremembers the conversation... I can find no comfort in our president not understanding what a "casualty" is. Shocked

Still at it I see.

I'm sorry, but I sincerely doubt that you are truly hoping that there is a reasonable alternative explanation. If you were, you would have no problem accepting one, rather than continuing to even consider the most far fetched of alternatives.

Let me make one last attempt:

Two scenarios:

Scenario One:

Pat Robertson visits the Oval Office and implores the president not to invade Iraq because of the likelihood of there being tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of casualties.

The president assures Robertson that there will not be casualties to the extent he fears, and gives him a primer on how a modern war in Iraq will be waged, and why it is reasonable to expect relatively low levels of American casualties.

Pat Robertson either because he honestly misunderstood what the president said or because he is an attention grabbing nut contended that the president told him there would be no casualties.

Scenario Two:

Pat Robertson visits the Oval Office and implores the president not to invade Iraq because of the likelihood of there being tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of casualties.

The president assures Robertson that there will not be a single American casualty. Why? Because he believes God will watch over all American soldiers, or that shock and awe will have the Iraqis surrendering after the first engagement, or because he considers a casualty to be only someone who dies in an unjust war, and therefore, by definition, there will be no casualties in this war, or simply because he is insane.

Pat Robinson goes on TV and recounts the conversation, exactly as it happened.

Take your pick as to which is the more likely scenario.

If you choose two, then I would suggest that your way of thinking is quite similar to those who believe that if John Kerry is elected to the presidency, he will surrender America to the UN on the day after his inauguration. I'm sure such people hope that won't be the case.
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:45 am
hehe nice post finn
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:34 am
Clearly his remark was misinterpreted. He didn't mean NO casualties at all.

Shrub and family have suffered NO casualties, so therefore he was right.

You just have to know how to speak Idiot. Then you can get a clear idea of what he's trying to say.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:09 am
Good reply on my post Finn. A couple of teeny points and I'm done, for I know where you're coming from and vice versa.

When I wrote:
"blasting all the perceived enemies" I was thinking of what some posters would have us do, not what is currently happening. My mistake.

When you wrote:
"as long as the world is not free of tyrants and madmen who seek to compel their will through violent force, the world will not be free of war."

I couldn't help but think of George Bush and how he's percieved throughout the world...for better or worse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:30 am
"as long as the world is not free of tyrants and madmen who seek to compel their will through violent force, the world will not be free of war."

Words well suited to The Lone Ranger or Superman comic books.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:35 pm
There is absolutely no way we will ever bully our way to greater safety...and our best chance to improve our situation is to elect a president who is not too ignorant to see that!

(You are completely free to suppose I mean "elect Kerry...dump Bush, if you choose!)
0 Replies

twocs

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 03:23 pm
Robertson vs. Bush
In his opinion, Robertson felt that Bush had assured him there would be no casualties in Iraq. Even if Bush did not say so in so many words, it was Bush who did the misleading.
0 Replies