Bush Foresaw 0 war casualties

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:45 am
Is it scarier than John Ashcroft's bum?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
deb

God, who knows. Both men are lunatics. But I'd wager that Pat, though it's close, gets the red ribbon and fancy hat.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
I think it is interesting the "right" hasn't chimed in on this one to their usual extent..hard to be a christian fundamentalist and bush supporter and your two "gods" are on different sides of an issue..
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:44 am
angie wrote:
How could he understand the concept of war casualties? He didn't get to see any on his tour of duty in Alabama.

Seriously, it never ceases to amaze me how restricted and limited his thinking is. Unlike some, I find no humor in his limitations. He is, at the very least, extraordinarily dangerous.

Pat Robertson has been against this war from day one. He simply never believed in the alleged alQuaeda-911 connection, and unlike blind Bush partisans, this conservative has consistently had the courage and integrity to speak in opposition to the Shrub's unjustified, pre-emptive invasion.

What about Colin Powell? Pretty sure he has the capability to understand the concept of war casualties. What about Tom Ridge?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
Powell foresaw the mess and warned GB et al. "You break it. You own it". Ring a bell?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:05 am
I think what gives this an air of credibility is that you would expect Robertson to be in Bush's court and not to say anything that might harm his chances of winning the election.

I do remember being spoon fed the "shock and awe, roses and chocolate bars, mission accomplished" aspect of the war.

That description certainly doesn't sound like they expected many dead soldiers (I don't like the word "casualties").
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
Thing is, it fits with the presidency by gut feeling, and "I am right, I just KNOW it", stuff that us coming out of the White House slowly.

But I SO hope it isn't true.

If it is, the man is nearly certifiable...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
But - looking at the link - I am confused as to whether Bush is alleged to have said that - given the troops' armour and equipment, Pat whoever didn't need to worry (which is the kind of dumb hyperbole we might engage in to worried friends) OR whether he allegedly said that there would be no casualties, which is deluded, or so hyperbolic as to be inappropriate in a discussion of a war, I think.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
It saddens me to report that a wonderful 24 year old Marine Cpl. was buried yesterday in my town.

The valedictorian of his class he, was following in his father's footsteps to become a State Patrol officer.

What burned me up was the Florida HP spokesman saying: " The flag waves and the eagle flies thanks to the men and women that stood and fought like Ian did."

Are we that delusional? I mean what did this sacrifice for the parents have to do with keeping America free...I just don't get it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Not sure if I've mentioned this before...but George Bush is a moron...and trying to figure out why he does things or why he does them the way he does...is like trying to figure out why a ferret does what he does....or why it does it.

These guys are actually on record as thinking the Iraqis were gonna greet them with flowers!

This is the most incompetent president we've ever had...and his administration is the most incompetent also.

These guys have got to go.

I really wish some of the people backing him would open their eyes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:39 am
As the soldier, Wilfred Owen famously said:

Dulce Et Decorum Est

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!-- An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And floundering like a man in fire or lime.--
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
Oh - for those who do not know - here is the meaning of the Latin:
DULCE ET DECORUM EST - the first words of a Latin saying (taken from an ode by Horace). The words were widely understood and often quoted at the start of the First World War. They mean "It is sweet and right." The full saying ends the poem: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori - it is sweet and right to die for your country. In other words, it is a wonderful and great honour to fight and die for your country
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:02 am
princesspupule wrote:
Armyvet35 wrote:
Thank you wil Smile

Purple I dont find people like Pat to be held in high esteem. I dont find people like him, Jimmy baker and Benny hin to be upstanding people in the world... call me cynical or trace it back to my agnostic beliefs.

On good Note ... we all can get along... I am an agnostic married to a christian... we can debate till the cows come home and still share a great life together Smile

Army, my name's "Pupule" not "purple." And I don't give a fig who you hold in esteem, or don't. My point was that Dubya alleges to hold evangelists in esteem, but didn't believe one when his view was challenged, and didn't note that the evangelist was right while he was wrong. That is foolish at best, blasphemy at worst.

Princess P :wink:

Princess

And you know that Bush didn't consider the advice provided to him by Mr Robertson, but decide it was not persuasive?

You're attempting to force the issue of Bush's stubborn refusal to admit mistakes into this very narrow scenario. Robertson says he told Bush he feared the casualties of a war in Iraq. He also says that Bush told him there would be no casualties. Bush, through the Whitehouse staff, has responded that he never said there would be no casualties.

Personally, I think Robertson is a nut. I've always thought so and haven't now turned on him because he's added an anti-Bush soundbyte to the campaign. However, I would find his account of the conversation incredible even if I held him in esteem.

At the time of the conversation, we had suffered American casualties in the war in Afghanistan. I think it's a safe bet to assume that Bush knew of these casualties. No matter what one might think of the man, it is utterly incredible to think that he believed there would be no American casualties in a war in Iraq.

Now, he may very well have tried to assure Robertson that the American casualties in Iraq would be minimal, as they have been from a relative standpoint. Remember, that in the pre-war days there were all sorts of estimates flying around of casualties in the hundreds of thousands, and predictions that a war would result in a humanitarian catastrophe.

Some may wish to describe the aftermath of the Iraq war as catastrophic, but it has not met the definition of a humanitarian catastrophe as the term was used by the UN pre-war.

It is fairly reasonable to argue that Bush was and is too tolerant of American casualties in connection with the War in Iraq. It is also fairly reasonable to argue that the aftermath of the war, while not meeting the UN definition of catastrophic, has been a disaster.

What is not reasonable is to seize on the words of a man whom one would otherwise religiously dismiss in an attempt to argue an incredible charge against Bush: He believed there would be no casualties in the War in Iraq. or He never listens to anyone's advice. or He never believes he's wrong.

Willow decries debate that has a baiting or sarcastic tone to it. For obvious reasons, I have no such problem with the variety., What I do have a problem with is debate that is based on utter nonsense that in the context of any subject other than politics, would not even be considered as germane.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
Ok, Finn. I'll agree with your assessment that Pat Robertson is more likely a nut than not a nut. Here is what he says God told him about the upcoming election: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,107258,00.html
And I am not privy to what transpired between him and Dubya during the incident he recounted. I don't know if he is remembering details correctly, or is having a senior moment, God bless him. Rolling Eyes But I do know that Bush is on the record about his salvation being due to men of the cloth like Pat Robertson and Billy Graham... And Dubya is on the record believing what his gut tells him over pesky little details like facts. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45277-2004Aug29.html. But Bush is on the record in 2003 stating that the sacrifices would be worthwhile. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/11/20031106-2.html It does seem rather a reach to believe that Bush actually believed there would be no casualties, even if he mistakenly said such a ludicrous thing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:45 am
panzade wrote:
It saddens me to report that a wonderful 24 year old Marine Cpl. was buried yesterday in my town.

The valedictorian of his class he, was following in his father's footsteps to become a State Patrol officer.

What burned me up was the Florida HP spokesman saying: " The flag waves and the eagle flies thanks to the men and women that stood and fought like Ian did."

Are we that delusional? I mean what did this sacrifice for the parents have to do with keeping America free...I just don't get it.

Clearly you don't, which is hardly a crime or necessarily a flaw.

It is not difficult to understand how one might not "get it" if one focuses on the loss of a young life and the direct consequences of that death.

It would certainly seem that in the case of this young man, his death will leave a devastated family and a grieving community. We were not provided with the circumstances of his death, but unless the young man died saving innocent women and children, it's hard to imagine that we could ever obtain a consensus that his death was somehow worthwhile.

The notion that anyone's death might be worthwhile is not a concept to be loosely advanced, and certainly not when one is considering an individual whom we know something of, or whom we love. Death is so final and devastating an outcome that we, understandably, expect a very large reward for its horrible price.

If we assume, for argument's sake, that there can be a just war, with the continued waving of the flag and flight of the eagle its clear consequences, then it is less difficult to accept the value of the deaths of young men and women, but even within that context we are faced with the task of balancing cause and effect. Not every solider in a just war dies as a classical hero - defeating greater numbers of the enemy, saving his comrades, destroying the enemy's means to wage further war. Some die in horribly ironic ways, devoid of any apparent meaning. Does this make their sacrifice any less worthy than the heroes'? I would argue no. The moments when we can all agree that a classically heroic deed has taken place are not what win wars, they are moments within the entire necessary process that wins the war, and all who serve that process are heroes, and no matter how they may die in the process, their deaths have served its end.

If one focuses solely on the cause and effect of an individual's death, it will be the very rare instance when one can clearly "get" its value. Even if this young man died while drinking his morning coffee, he died so that the flag may continue to wave and the eagle continue to fly...if, one accepts that the war in which he was involved serves that end.

This, of course, is a big If.

I respect someone's opinion that the War in Iraq doesn't serve this end. I disagree with it, but that's a subject for another posting.

However, once one accepts that the war is serving this end, it should not be so difficult to understand how a young man's death in the war can be seen as serving this end as well.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
Quote:
"Clearly you don't, which is hardly a crime or necessarily a flaw."

A great straw man to start your riposte.

Quote:
"It is not difficult to understand how one might not "get it" if one focuses on the loss of a young life and the direct consequences of that death."

You don't seem to get the point that my ire was towards the spokesman and his using the death of a marine by mortar round to advance the cause of American freedom

Quote:
"It would certainly seem that in the case of this young man, his death will leave a devastated family and a grieving community. We were not provided with the circumstances of his death, but unless the young man died saving innocent women and children, it's hard to imagine that we could ever obtain a consensus that his death was somehow worthwhile."

The fact that the young man died to defend American freedom is delusional. My point was crystal clear...or opinion as you like.

Quote:
"Not every solider in a just war dies as a classical hero."

I was very clear that I don't think this is a just war.

Quote:
"If one focuses solely on the cause and effect of an individual's death, it will be the very rare instance when one can clearly "get" its value. Even if this young man died while drinking his morning coffee, he died so that the flag may continue to wave and the eagle continue to fly...if, one accepts that the war in which he was involved serves that end.

A lot of verbiage to explain that you feel the war is helping the eagle and flag fly. Now Fin, you clever buzzard...explain why.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:17 am
p, you are a patient man to wade through all that straw.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:19 am
I tossed out half my post...not that patient
:wink:
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:29 am
Eh im in the National Guard... i have a tatto that conveys patoritism and everything... yet i believe that this war is pointless.... i try not to get invovled in thing of this matter... but if i am reading pan right i have to agree with him... if a solider dies at war it does not make him a hero... i mean if im at war and doing my "morning constitutional" and a motar round drops on my head i did nothing heroic. unless it was to move far enough away that my fellow squad members didnt catch a wiff of what i was letting out...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
I kind of agree with you, Seed, but I think pan's point was more along the lines of this war not being for american freedom. At least that's my read on it. I've had it guilt-tripped on me many a time that men and women in uniform are fighting for my freedom to have the (obviously wrong) opinions that I have. I have to say that I don't think there is anything in Iraq that has anything to do with my personal freedoms, or with flags waving and eagles flying.

I will say though, Seed, that if you are killed while doing your 'morning constitutional' I will still consider you a hero for the simple fact that you did it in a location close enough to have a bomb dropped on your head :wink:
0 Replies