Sanctuary cities start to cave

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:15 pm
Whatever Linkat.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:21 pm
@maxdancona,
I did see the "you could meet me" must have edited it.

Ok let us play the game --- say you are just outside of Boston - then you must be ill-informed seeing you had a typo of a mayor's name that has not been in office for almost 25 years.

After being Mayor he was Ambassador to the Vatican. I happen to love the former Mayor Flynn and Menino as well. Menino was so well loved I couldn't imagine anyone from the area to forget him - I think he may have been the longest serving mayor as well.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Actually, I live just outside of Boston......

Yes, I was around when Raymond Flynn was mayor.

I guess you could be 2,000 miles outside of Boston.

Is this really that big of a deal? Concentrate on the point being made and quit worrying about the fine details and taking the conversation off topic.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:24 pm
@McGentrix,
No -I take it personally he is making these claims - about paying our taxes and so forth when it is quite obvious he is not.

If someone makes an obvious lie (pointing out this is so unlikely a typo - anyone from this area would not make this mistake it is just so obvious) their creditability is lost.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Linkat is nursing a grudge from previous topics. I don't think she is really in agreement with Gunga or even cares. As far as the topic... the politics in the Boston area are such that there will be little political support for Trump's immigration policy... not even from Linkat.

This is a silly Thread to begin with. There are many urban areas, including New York and Boston that will resist Trump's immigration policies.

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:26 pm
@Linkat,
Do you think Boston pays more than their fair share of taxes? (I don't, btw. Max does.)
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:28 pm
@Linkat,
Buzz off Linkat.

I was typing something about Michael Flynn and had Michael Flynn on my mind as I typed a quick response to this thread. It was mind freeze. It is that simple.

Your little conspiracy theory is interesting. But you are full of crap. Check out my other posts if you like. I have posted pretty consistently about being from Boston (actually just outside of Boston).

You are being petty.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:29 pm
@McGentrix,
It is a fact that Massachusetts tax payers pay more in Federal taxes then we get back in Federal services. Most "red" states get more services than they pay in taxes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:36 pm
@McGentrix,
We are called Taxachusetts for a reason but that is state/local taxes not federal. I didn't look at the map posted as I lost creditability in that. My understanding is there can't be - it isn't like the Federal Government charges each state a different rate.

Now we could potentially pay more in aggregate for example if we are more wealthy so dollar-wise if we have more businesses and are more wealthy we should be paying more.

The one side I see as unfair in many things that are compared Federal-wise is that you pay the same tax rate/have the same amount $$ for deductions and calculates financial aid needs based the same across the country. Whereas in the Northeast, Boston and New York in particular the cost of living is much higher.

Long answer to a short question - but if the Federal Tax rate is the same then no we do not pay more than others.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:40 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

We are called Taxachusetts for a reason but that is state/local taxes not federal. I didn't look at the map posted as I lost creditability in that. My understanding is there can't be - it isn't like the Federal Government charges each state a different rate.

Now we could potentially pay more in aggregate for example if we are more wealthy so dollar-wise if we have more businesses and are more wealthy we should be paying more.

The one side I see as unfair in many things that are compared Federal-wise is that you pay the same tax rate/have the same amount $$ for deductions and calculates financial aid needs based the same across the country. Whereas in the Northeast, Boston and New York in particular the cost of living is much higher.

Long answer to a short question - but if the Federal Tax rate is the same then no we do not pay more than others.

One of the reasons taxes are so high is because of the old "Romneycare" health plan you guys have. Also because living in a city is expensive and taxes have to support the poor.

I never thought I would see the day when liberals think their taxes were too high. I really thought that you guys were fine with giving your money away to others that didn't work for it as hard.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:48 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Anyway, if the moron in chief does pull funding that could make a very interesting "Class Action 1st Amendment case".

How in the world is a Sanctuary City policy in any way a 1st Amendment case?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Ok Layman, you are right. I was wrong in my facts. Thank you for pointing out my error.

However... I would have been awfully angry if I thought that Obama used disaster relief funds as a way to force states to comply with his policy goals. And, I would feel this way even if I agreed with the policy goals.

Trump may pay a political price for this.

Didn't Obama threaten to pull federal funds from states or cities that didn't agree with his EO on transgender people using the bathroom of their choice?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:57 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I lost creditability[sic] in that.

You sure did Wink.

(Yes... apparently I can be as petty as Linkat).
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 01:01 pm
Facts matter. All of this bluster for things that can readily be checked on the internet.

1) Massachusetts is not in the top 10 states as far as paying income taxes. This reputation is not currently deserved.

https://progressivemetrowestsouth.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/nottaxachusetts.png?w=595&h=386

2) It is also well documented that Massachusetts pays more in Federal Taxes than the services it receives. Linkat is correct that this is due to incomes... but it is still a fact. We are contributing more than we are taking... and many "red" states are taking more than they are contributing.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 01:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Massachusetts pays more in Federal Taxes than the services it receives..... but it is still a fact. We are contributing more than we are taking...

I thought this was that kind of things that liberals had wet dreams about?

Or is that just for other people?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 01:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Back to the topic McGentrix. I would like to hear your opinion (starting with a clear "Yes" or "No" to the question before any reasoning).

Assuming that the cities, like New York and Boston, who have clearly stated their unwillingness to cooperate with the ICE without a lawful warrant for a serious crime... Should the Federal government punish these cities (and the Americans who live in them) for refusing to cooperate by withholding Federal disaster assistance when it is needed?

I, for one, am going to be pushing my local officials to refuse to cooperate with ICE (except in the case of truly dangerous immigrants).
McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 02:26 pm
@maxdancona,
As you ask the question, no. As to the intent of your question, yes.

Illegal immigration affects everyone. Being in America illegally is a crime and each individual illegal immigrant knows that they may be shipped out any day now.

Tell me though, what kind of migrant workers do you have in Boston? You guys have a lot of farms down there by the water front? Lots of cabbages needing to be picked?
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 02:41 pm
@maxdancona,
Actually I honestly do not know now of when I converse with you prior - your name is somewhat familiar so I must have, but to be honest I am not sure on specifics. I rarely comment on political items - I opened this and when I read Michael Flynn was the Mayor of Boston I laughed by a$$ off.

My comment had nothing to do with the immigration policy although I agree that something should be enforced perhaps not to the extent of what Trump is proposing but I don't support being a sanctuary city for the selfish reason is then all these illegal immigrants will run here we aren't in a financial position to help everyone. That is why you need a common sense approach - not one extreme or the other.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 02:45 pm
@McGentrix,
we actually voted to lower our state tax but Deval Patrick raised it any way.

I think that is why we now have a Republican governor. We actually do like our money (at least I like to be able to support my children and own a house).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 02:47 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree I am spelling deficient.

Spelling is different though than not knowing who the current or previous mayors are. I purposedly made you some more grammar and spelling errors for your enjoyment.