Sanctuary cities start to cave

oralloy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:57 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Yes, we love Tom Brady. But even Tom Brady backed off when Boston fans questioned whether he supported Trump or not.
Tom Brady on Trump wrote:
I don’t understand that. … I don’t want to get into it, but just – if you know someone, it doesn’t mean that you agree with everything that they say or do. Right?

Lots of us went to both the Anti-Trump protest and the Superbowl victory parade.

Why would you support a cheater?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:20 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The federal government often withholds funding from states that do not do what the feds want.

Can you name one time time the federal government has withheld disaster relief funds from any state under any administration (you can go back as far as George Washington)?

layman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Can you name one time time the federal government has withheld disaster relief funds from any state under any administration (you can go back as far as George Washington)?

Quote:
Under current law while a governor or a tribal leader may make a request, the decision to issue a declaration rests solely with the President. Congress has no formal role....the decision for a declaration is at the discretion of the President...

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/R43784.pdf

Quote:
Disaster Declaration Denials Exasperate Governors

Earlier this summer, a wildfire near Yarnell, Ariz., killed 19 firefighters and destroyed 109 homes at an estimated cost of $6.8 million. When Gov. Jan Brewer asked President Barack Obama to declare a federal disaster, he turned her down.

...experts in the field say the disaster standards are unclear—and often ignored. The result is that disaster decisions can seem arbitrary or politically motivated.

In Texas, Perry asked for a disaster declaration after more than 15 inches of rain fell on the south Texas city of Roma in 2008....After Hurricanes Humberto in 2007 and Hermine in 2010, Perry also unsuccessfully petitioned for disaster declarations...Perry has plenty of company.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2013/08/23/disaster-declaration-denials-exasperate-governors

Back to Washington, eh? That would be a long walk. Back to Obama is plenty far enough.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:44 am
@layman,
Ok Layman, you are right. I was wrong in my facts. Thank you for pointing out my error.

However... I would have been awfully angry if I thought that Obama used disaster relief funds as a way to force states to comply with his policy goals. And, I would feel this way even if I agreed with the policy goals.

Trump may pay a political price for this.
layman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Trump may pay a political price for this.

Price? Trump would probably gain an extra 10 million voters from around the country if he told Moonbeam Brown to piss up a rope, eh?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:42 am
@layman,
Probably... after the way Trump's popularity (as shown in polls) is soaring the more he pushes policies against the will of the states who are suing him, you are likely right.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:54 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
And lots of cities are standing up to Trump. I am proud of Michael Flynn, the mayor of Boston, vowing to offer up city hall to hide undocumented immigrants from ICE.

Well, the problem here is Michael Flynn IS NOT THE MAYOR OF BOSTON!!!

Secondly, cheap offer as I suspect if even one "undocumented immigrant" ever got close to City Hall they would be arrested for trespassing.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:09 am
@woiyo,
It's true Wink I was thinking maybe I got away with that typo.

And... who would do the arresting, Woiyo?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:12 am
@woiyo,
As Michael Che humorously pointed out... last week Trump got his ass kicked by three federal judges, a decorated war hero, and a department store.

Trump is a loser.

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Of course not. We pay our taxes (more than our share, but who is counting). Trump is a president, not a dictator (as of now). He doesn't get to use federal funding that way. These funds belong to us Americans, not to Trump.

Gunga's idea that Trump can use disaster relief funds to force states into submission is ridiculous.

"More than our share"? How do you figure it's more than your share? I thought you liberal types were all about paying your taxes. Especially in Taxachusetts. I mean all I hear is how the rich don't pay their fair share, yet Boston pays more than their fair share?

Pft. I doubt it.
woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 11:30 am
@maxdancona,
Probably the State-ies.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 11:47 am
I hate to break it to everyone arguing and or agreeing with Max but he cannot possibly be from Boston - hate to be the one to break it to you -- but Michael Flynn is not the mayor of Boston.

Don't know why someone would to pretend to be from a certain city when they are not. The name Michael Flynn isn't even close to Boston's current or even previous mayor. The mayor is well known so I cannot fathom someone from Boston would not know the correct name.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Massachusetts residents pay more in Federal taxes, and recieves less in Federal dollars than most states.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2016/01/Pasted_Image_1_5_16__1_48_PM-800x715.png&w=1484
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It's true Wink I was thinking maybe I got away with that typo.

And... who would do the arresting, Woiyo?

Just saw this -- can't be a typo isn't even close - for some odd reason you are pretending to be from Boston. Either that or you are extremely ill informed which would then make your whole rant on here --- just that a rant.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:01 pm
@Linkat,
Actually, I live just outside of Boston......

Yes, I was around when Raymond Flynn was mayor.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Doesn't change the fact that you don't know a thing - you are either a pretender or ill informed -- me thinks you are both.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:02 pm
@Linkat,
You caught me Linkat. I am actually a Ukranian Tartar from just outside of Kharkiv, posting here based on my love of Tom Brady, and my interest in US democratic party.

. I am glad that you and Gunga are so much in sync. I guess Trump really is bringing people together in your country.

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:08 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The current mayor is Marty Walsh prior to him Tom Menino who had been mayor for over 20 years. Ray Flynn was mayor in the early 80s. You didn't even get his name right! Anyone from Boston would not even think of saying Ray Flynn is fighting against Trump. You obviously are trying to pretend you are from Boston which I don't even understand. There is no reason you can support what our current Mayor Walsh is trying to promote whether you are from here or not.

You just discount your entire argument as you now lost credibility by pretending to be someone you are not.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:09 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I guess you could be 2,000 miles outside of Boston.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:10 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You caught me Linkat. I am actually a Ukranian Tartar from just outside of Kharkiv, posting here based on my love of Tom Brady, and my interest in US democratic party.

. I am glad that you and Gunga are so much in sync. I guess Trump really is bringing people together in your country.

Not in sync with anyone -- I just got a good chuckle I am guessing you are from US just not from Boston and it is just dumb to pretend.
0 Replies