Got a bible? Grab it and look at this.

rmurphy

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:08 am
That is a very clear definition of your belief structure. Interesting.
Do you see any single aspect of this world or the world within ourselves (for fans of the Upanishads) that makes you question if you might be wrong?
To be honest, when I see pain and suffering or even hear of concept of hell I have been confused by the seeming contradiction of benevolence.
Im not trying to change your mind, seriously, or start a conversation on the topic of hell, I am just curious about a paradigm that is very different from my own. Personally, I think if I wasnt a theist, I would be an atheist. It seems logical for someone like my self to stay on the outside and come to resolutions. The only question I ever had was whether God existed how I pegged Him to be or if I had been missing the mark right from the beginning. \
Thoughts?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
rmurphy wrote:
That is a very clear definition of your belief structure.

There is no "belief structure" there.

I am not offering beliefs.

I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A GOD...also...I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE ARE NO GODS.

This is not something I "believe" (whatever that word means to you)...I KNOW THAT I DO NOT KNOW.

I also KNOW that I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a guess...which I think is what you call a "belief."

Quote:
Do you see any single aspect of this world or the world within ourselves (for fans of the Upanishads) that makes you question if you might be wrong?

What part of what I just stated, in your opinion, should I question?

Quote:
To be honest, when I see pain and suffering or even hear of concept of hell I have been confused by the seeming contradiction of benevolence.
Im not trying to change your mind, seriously, or start a conversation on the topic of hell, I am just curious about a paradigm that is very different from my own.

I understand.

Quote:
Personally, I think if I wasnt a theist, I would be an atheist.

In other words, you would substitute one set of unfounded, blindly accepted guesses...for another unfounded, blindly accepted guesses.

And you consider that superior to simply acknowledging that you do not know...and the evidence is such that making a guess based on it is akin to tossing a coin?

Why?

I'm not trying to change your mind...I'm just asking.

Quote:
It seems logical for someone like my self to stay on the outside and come to resolutions. The only question I ever had was whether God existed how I pegged Him to be or if I had been missing the mark right from the beginning. \
Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean by "...stay on the outside and come to resolutions."

If you mean choosing one side or the other on the question...I could do that by tossing a coin. But what would that be worth?

I could do it by simply pulling a guess out of the air and calling it a belief...and defend it using the word "faith" to denote my insistance that my guess pulled out of the air is correct. But what would that be worth?

I have resolved the issue to my satisfaction...and to use your expression, it seems logical to me to simply acknowledge that I do not know what I do not know...and to accept that the evidence availble to me does not permit a meaningful guess.

What do you see illogical about that?
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:37 pm
I never stated anything was illogical. Nor did I state superiority in the belief of a God or not. To be honest, your "belief" (and please try to ignore this word, it simply means what you accepted for yourself at this moment) seems safe in comparison to my own set of accepted values.
The question I had was if any part of what you accepted to be your stance on the subject, which as we all know is "I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A GOD...also...I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE ARE NO GODS" is ever changed. Like this, do you ever wake up and say, "gee, i feel like s**t today, I dont believe in God." That is all. I dont believe for a second that anyone's personal judgements are changed by a bad morning, but rather, do you ever doubt yourself on the topic of agnosticism?
On the topic of belief structure: why dont you believe this is belief? Your belief in God, it seems, is that you do not know if there is or isnt a higher diety/pantheon. Why isnt this a belief. You beliefe that you dont know...
One last thing, I never stated that you were illogical. I do however feel that it would be impossible for myself to live comfortably under the umbrella of "I dont know". Again, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, it just isnt for me. At my age and understanding, I would drive myself crazy in the search for answers. This is what I know about myself.
Stay on the outside means my binary brain can only understand 1 or 0, or God/Gods exist or dont exist. This is the way I am. Neither of us are inferior, just different.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:21 am
rmurphy wrote:
I never stated anything was illogical. Nor did I state superiority in the belief of a God or not. To be honest, your "belief" (and please try to ignore this word, it simply means what you accepted for yourself at this moment) seems safe in comparison to my own set of accepted values.

I do not have beliefs.

Quote:
The question I had was if any part of what you accepted to be your stance on the subject, which as we all know is "I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A GOD...also...I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE ARE NO GODS" is ever changed. Like this, do you ever wake up and say, "gee, i feel like s**t today, I dont believe in God."

I could wake up every morning and say "I do not believe in God."

I have no "beliefs" on the subject.

As far as I am concerned...a belief is nothing more than a guess that the guesser does not want to call a guess...so he/she disguises the fact that it is a guess by using the word "belief."

If you use the word differently...no problem. I'll ask you just about every time to find out how you are using it.

Quote:
That is all. I dont believe for a second that anyone's personal judgements are changed by a bad morning, but rather, do you ever doubt yourself on the topic of agnosticism?

Never. Not for one second. I KNOW that I do not know if there is a God...and I KNOW that I do not know if there are no gods...and I KNOW that I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to make a meaningful decision.

I'd be kidding myself to change my mind...and I do not kid myself.

Quote:
On the topic of belief structure: why dont you believe this is belief?

What are you asking? I've explained all this to you.

Quote:
Your belief in God, it seems, is that you do not know if there is or isnt a higher diety/pantheon. Why isnt this a belief. You beliefe that you dont know...

That is not a belief. PERIOD. I am merely stating what I KNOW to be the situation with me.

You are so use to using the term "belief" that you apparently cannot disconnect enough to see the word for what it actually means.

Quote:
One last thing, I never stated that you were illogical. I do however feel that it would be impossible for myself to live comfortably under the umbrella of "I dont know". Again, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, it just isnt for me. At my age and understanding, I would drive myself crazy in the search for answers.

If I thought you could handle humor on this subject...I probably say that is not so much a drive as it is a chip...but I'm not sure you can handle it, so I won't.

Quote:
This is what I know about myself.
Stay on the outside means my binary brain can only understand 1 or 0, or God/Gods exist or dont exist. This is the way I am.

Argue for you limitations...and they are yours.

Get yourself to the point where you can deal with things other than 1 or 0...or black or white.

Quote:
Neither of us are inferior, just different.

I'll take your word for that. In any case, I've been assured that "size" is not important...so it really shouldn't matter.
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:43 am
Man, tough crowd this morning...

Quote:

I thought you were agnostic? How can you be partial to disbelief? Or are you an Athiest???
Well, could you wake up every morning and say "I do believe in God.", or are you agnostic.
And with that phrase alone "I do not believe in God."... you dont have belief, but you can not believe in God??? Im not trying to harp, this seems completely contradictory.

Quote:
If I thought you could handle humor on this subject...I probably say that is not so much a drive as it is a chip...

A fine joke, and a funny one. I did handle it. A chip would be to prove your point at the expense of everyone else, a drive is a desire to find out something you dont know. Why not call every university "Chip U". I would expect a learned man such as yourself to be compeled by the topic of education and a passion for learning.

Quote:
but I'm not sure you can handle it, so I won't.

But you did.

Quote:

Get yourself to the point where you can deal with things other than 1 or 0...or black or white.

Why exactly is this a limitation? What is the benefit of neutratilty? In the end when we die we will all find out if there is a god or if there isnt. This is binary. I choose to try and find now.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
rmurphy wrote:
Man, tough crowd this morning...

Quote:

I thought you were agnostic? How can you be partial to disbelief? Or are you an Athiest???
Well, could you wake up every morning and say "I do believe in God.", or are you agnostic.
And with that phrase alone "I do not believe in God."... you dont have belief, but you can not believe in God??? Im not trying to harp, this seems completely contradictory.

Murphy...c'mon now.

There is absolutely NOTHING contradictory in that.

I DO NO BELIEVE IN GOD. I ALSO DO NOT BELIEVE THERE ARE NO GODS.

How many times do I have to say that.

Every agnostic can wake up and say "I do not believe in God!"

Atheists go a step further...or at least, a goodly portion of them do...by saying, "I believe there are no gods."

I do not know if there is a God. I do not see enough ambiguous evidence to guess their is a God...SO I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD.

That does not make me an atheist.

After all these many explanations of this...do you truly NOT GET IT??????

Quote:
Quote:
If I thought you could handle humor on this subject...I probably say that is not so much a drive as it is a chip...

A fine joke, and a funny one. I did handle it. A chip would be to prove your point at the expense of everyone else, a drive is a desire to find out something you dont know. Why not call every university "Chip U". I would expect a learned man such as yourself to be compeled by the topic of education and a passion for learning.

I suspect you did not handle it.

Quote:
Quote:
but I'm not sure you can handle it, so I won't.

But you did.

Yeah...that was part of the humor. Wake up!

Quote:

Quote:

Why exactly is this a limitation? What is the benefit of neutratilty?

Why are you so blind that you cannot see that "I DO NOT KNOW" is NOT neutrality?

It is a very specific stance.

I know it is very difficult for some people...apparently you are one of them...to acknowledge when they do not know something...but I am mature and possessed of enough self-confidence to do so.

So I do.

Quote:
In the end when we die we will all find out if there is a god or if there isnt. This is binary. I choose to try and find now.

It is not binary...it is absurd.

If there is no god...you ain't gonna find out shyt. You will be dead...and that is the end of it.

If there is a God...then you may or may not find out. It really would depend on what they God has in mind.

Either way...your binary thingy is absurd.
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:39 pm
Tell my why the idea of God either existing or not existing is absurd. Yes, we may never know if God exists or does not exist, but either god/s exist or do not exist. I shouldnt have put my personal beliefs (i.e. we will find out...) in the last message.

Please send some links so I can read up on agnosticism.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:56 pm
rmurphy wrote:
Tell my why the idea of God either existing or not existing is absurd.

That is known as creating a strawman, Murphy.

I never said the idea of God either existing or not existing is absurd.

I said your comment was absurd. Your comment was: "In the end when we die we will all find out if there is a god or if there isnt. This is binary."

And I explained why that comment is absurd.

But I will repeat for you here so you don't have to go back and look:

Quote:
It is not binary...it is absurd.

If there is no god...you ain't gonna find out shyt. You will be dead...and that is the end of it.

If there is a God...then you may or may not find out. It really would depend on what they God has in mind.

Either way...your binary thingy is absurd.

Quote:
Yes, we may never know if God exists or does not exist, but either god/s exist or do not exist.

Absolutely...and I agree with that comment in its entirety with no reservations of any kind, Murph.

But that was not what you said earlier...and I was disputing what you said earlier.

Quote:
I shouldnt have put my personal beliefs (i.e. we will find out...) in the last message.

I have no problems with your beliefs, Murphy. I consider them guesses...and unfounded guesses at that...but you are most assuredly entitled to those beliefs no matter what I feel or think or say.

But the "we will find out"...whether it is a "personal belief" or anything else, is simply wrong for the reasons I have stated and restated. If you had said..."we MAY find out" or "it is my guess that we will find out"...that would have been a different thing altogether.

We MAY find out...and whether we do or don't...you certainly are entitled to a guess that we will.

Quote:
Please send some links so I can read up on agnosticism.

Agnosticism is not like theism...where there are rights and wrongs and do's and don'ts...or the like. Three agnostics...three different opinions on what agnosticism is.

I am sharing MY agnosticism with you...and I thank you for listening and considering what I am saying.

You might throw the word "agnostic" into google and see what comes up.
0 Replies

rmurphy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:40 pm
Thanks Frank, I appreciate the help.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
Question for ya ...
Quote:
Well so far...you have shown no evidence whatever for the existence of any gods. The historical data in almost any piece of fiction is hardly evidence that it is non-fiction. All of the people mentioned in the Bible could be real people...or based on real people...and it would provide no evidence of any gods.

What exactly would "evidence of any gods" be to you? In other words, what do you look for in something in order to classify it as "evidence", specifically as it relates to evidence of any gods?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:26 am
Re: Question for ya ...
Implicator wrote:
Quote:
Well so far...you have shown no evidence whatever for the existence of any gods. The historical data in almost any piece of fiction is hardly evidence that it is non-fiction. All of the people mentioned in the Bible could be real people...or based on real people...and it would provide no evidence of any gods.

What exactly would "evidence of any gods" be to you? In other words, what do you look for in something in order to classify it as "evidence", specifically as it relates to evidence of any gods?

Well...since this line of reasoning usually comes up when someone says, "I 'believe' in God because of the evidence"...I prefer to have them tell me what the evidence is that they are using to guess there is a God.

Then I comment on it.

What do you suppose is "evidence" for the existence of gods?

(Or...conversely, what do you suppose is "evidence" that there are no gods?...which is the question I ask of atheists...who say they 'believe' there are no god.)
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
No doubt ...
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Quote:

Well...since this line of reasoning usually comes up when someone says, "I 'believe' in God because of the evidence"...I prefer to have them tell me what the evidence is that they are using to guess there is a God.

Then I comment on it.

(Or...conversely, what do you suppose is "evidence" that there are no gods?...which is the question I ask of atheists...who say they 'believe' there are no god.)

... you are correct in how the question normally arises. However, I didn't ask the initial question in this thread, nor did I even postulate whether or not there are gods. Rather, I simply asked you a question:

"What exactly would "evidence of any gods" be to you?"

You have spoken throughout this thread about "evidence for the existence of a god" and "evidence against the existence of gods", and so I naturally assumed that you have some way of recognizing evidence if it were presented to you. That was my question to you - and still is.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:19 am
Pardon Me, New to this, (Southern Baptist by Affilation, Christian by heart):

Here Goes: "There is neither jew nor greek, NEITHER male nor female...etc.

"Let no man be contentious..for we HAVE NO SUCH LAWS" ... The Apos. PAUL.

PS: NEW TESTAMENT
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:34 am
Quote:
Implicator wrote:

Then I comment on it.

... you are correct in how the question normally arises. However, I didn't ask the initial question in this thread, nor did I even postulate whether or not there are gods. Rather, I simply asked you a question:

"What exactly would "evidence of any gods" be to you?"

You have spoken throughout this thread about "evidence for the existence of a god" and "evidence against the existence of gods", and so I naturally assumed that you have some way of recognizing evidence if it were presented to you. That was my question to you - and still is.

I thought I answered your question. I am willing to consider ANY evidence both for or against the existence of God or gods.

I can assure you that I would recognize evidence if it were presented....and in fact, invited you to offer some up in either direction for discussion.

But since you seem to want a specific from me regarding what I would consider evidence of a God...let's see if I can come up with something.

And I guess it is best to note that we have to assume the god WANTS to reveal itself to us. If the god doesn't...all bets are off. But if the god doesn't want to reveal itself...all of that scripture of revelation is just hokum.

So...let's get to it:

First of all...the god these people are talking about supposedly "created" the universe...meaning that their god created our planet and the sun around which it revolves...created all the other 200+ billion suns in our galaxy...created the hundreds of billions of other galaxies that we know about...and created the space in which to fit them.

I certainly wouldn't want "evidence" of a god supposedly that powerful to consist of a card trick...or by a statistically insignificant uptick of "cures" for people who pray to it.

It would not be unreasonable to suggest that if that god wanted to reveal itself...with a high degree of certainty...it could do so by announcing in some way that at 9:30 pm Eastern Standard Time next Thursday evening...January 13th...ALL of the stars in our companion galaxy (the Andromeda Galaxy) will go dark...and will stay invisible for the next ten years...coming back into visibility at 9:30 pm EST on January 13th of 2015.

The god could announce that this had all been set into motion....in anticipation of a request for evidence...back almost 3 million years ago, so that the results could be viewed here on Earth some 2.9 million light years away.

Yep...that would be evidence...and fairly convincing evidence.

But...hell...that is way, way too dramatic.

Way too dramatic.

How about...next Thursday evening...January 13th...at 9:30 pm Eastern Standard Time...the planet Uranus will leave its orbit and head out toward the vast beyond...at a rate of speed easily seen by astronomers here on Earth.

Yeah...I like that better.

That would be evidence...and it would be convincing.

Does that answer your question, Implicator?

Can you suggest alternatives for discussion?
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
Quote:
I thought I answered your question. I am willing to consider ANY evidence both for or against the existence of God or gods.

I guess if my question had been whether you would consider evidence for or against the existence of gods, then I would have to agree that you answered my question. But that wasn't my question Wink

Quote:
I can assure you that I would recognize evidence if it were presented

You almost make it sound as if:

1) There is an objective nature to evidence.
2) I can be certain that you are able to recognize something objective - evidence, in this case.

I'm not disputing either of these - just trying to be sure I understand what you are saying.

Quote:
and in fact, invited you to offer some up in either direction for discussion.

I wasn't really interested in offering evidence either for or against gods, I just wanted to know your take on how to recognize such evidence if it ever showed up.

Honestly, my first inkling was that you were evading the question I was asking. But it seems you have answered it further below, so that's good.

Quote:
But since you seem to want a specific from me regarding what I would consider evidence of a God...let's see if I can come up with something.

Yup, that's what I asked for. Either specific examples, or a more general explanation of what constitutes "evidence for the existence of a god" in your mind.

===

Quote:
And I guess it is best to note that we have to assume the god WANTS to reveal itself to us. If the god doesn't...all bets are off. But if the god doesn't want to reveal itself...all of that scripture of revelation is just hokum.

I think that if the god did *not* want itself revealed to us then we would be in a pickle. If the god didn't really care, however, I don't think the situation would be quite as bad. The situation where the god *did* want itself revealed would be much better, though.

===

Quote:
So...let's get to it:

I'm all ears Smile

Quote:
First of all...the god these people are talking about supposedly "created" the universe...meaning that their god created our planet and the sun around which it revolves...created all the other 200+ billion suns in our galaxy...created the hundreds of billions of other galaxies that we know about...and created the space in which to fit them.

I certainly wouldn't want "evidence" of a god supposedly that powerful to consist of a card trick...or by a statistically insignificant uptick of "cures" for people who pray to it.

Sure … evidence of this nature could always be explained away. The card trick would be by its very nature deceitful, and not necessarily indicative of whether any gods exist. The uptick might actually be evidence, but not compelling enough, as it could always be explained by some other phenomena. Actually, this brings up a good point, I think.

Evidence (alone) seems to me to be subjective, and not objective. In other words, I don't see evidence as something that "speaks for itself". Let's take the uptick by way of example. Let's just suppose (for the sake of argument) that some sort of diety out there had responded to a group of people's prayers, such that those they prayed for became better. Now, even though (in this example) the cure was the direct result of the prayer, presenting this cure as evidence would not convince you that such a god as these people were praying to existed.

I'm not saying that's all bad - I am just pointing out that evidence by itself doesn't seem to be sufficient to convince anyone of anything, as there are always alternative explanations for why something happened.

Sorry for interrupting …

Quote:
It would not be unreasonable to suggest that if that god wanted to reveal itself...with a high degree of certainty...it could do so by announcing in some way that at 9:30 pm Eastern Standard Time next Thursday evening...January 13th...ALL of the stars in our companion galaxy (the Andromeda Galaxy) will go dark...and will stay invisible for the next ten years...coming back into visibility at 9:30 pm EST on January 13th of 2015.

The god could announce that this had all been set into motion....in anticipation of a request for evidence...back almost 3 million years ago, so that the results could be viewed here on Earth some 2.9 million light years away.

Way too dramatic.

Sort of an "extraordinary proof for an extraordinary claim" sort of drama Smile

Really good example, btw. It makes me want to ask another question, though - given my comments above. What if someone you respected in the scientific community came up with an explanation for this remarkable event that didn't require belief in any gods. Even though this was initially presented to you as extraordinary evidence, do you think you would continue to perceive it that way, after being presented with a more "ordinary" (from your perspective) explanation?

I guess I am challenging your comment above where you say "I can assure you that I would recognize evidence if it were presented".

Quote:
How about...next Thursday evening...January 13th...at 9:30 pm Eastern Standard Time...the planet Uranus will leave its orbit and head out toward the vast beyond...at a rate of speed easily seen by astronomers here on Earth.

Ok, so not quite as "extraordinary" maybe, but it still seems to fit the general mold of something we don't see happening all the time, and that would seem to go against what we currently know of the laws of nature. Unless that pesky scientist you respect comes up with some natural explanation, of course Wink

Quote:

I think it is a good start, for sure. I'm happy to stick with what you have suggested for evidence for now, as I don't want to muddy the waters at this point.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:07 pm
Well, Implicator, allow me to start by complimenting you on the amazing way you have coped with the intricacies of A2K. It took me months to get as facile as you. With only three posts...you have mastered the techniques...and are interacting as though you have been around for a very long time.

Implicator wrote:
Quote:

2) I can be certain that you are able to recognize something objective - evidence, in this case.

I'm not disputing either of these - just trying to be sure I understand what you are saying.

I'm saying that I can assure you that I would recognize evidence if it were presented. I'll get back to that later...and perhaps it will become more clear then...although I think it already is very clear.

Quote:
Quote:
and in fact, invited you to offer some up in either direction for discussion.

I wasn't really interested in offering evidence either for or against gods, I just wanted to know your take on how to recognize such evidence if it ever showed up.

Honestly, my first inkling was that you were evading the question I was asking. But it seems you have answered it further below, so that's good.

Good.

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, that's what I asked for. Either specific examples, or a more general explanation of what constitutes "evidence for the existence of a god" in your mind.

Always glad to accomodate, Implicator.

Quote:
Quote:

I think that if the god did *not* want itself revealed to us then we would be in a pickle. If the god didn't really care, however, I don't think the situation would be quite as bad. The situation where the god *did* want itself revealed would be much better, though.

Okay.

Quote:
Quote:
So...let's get to it:

I'm all ears Smile

Sorry to hear that...but considering Prince Charles, you are in excellent company. Wink

Quote:
Quote:

Sure … evidence of this nature could always be explained away. The card trick would be by its very nature deceitful, and not necessarily indicative of whether any gods exist. The uptick might actually be evidence, but not compelling enough, as it could always be explained by some other phenomena. .

The "uptick" is evidence! (As I mentioned above, I'll have more to say about this later...and it may become more clear.) There is no "might" about it. But as you observed...it is not especially compelling.

Quote:
Actually, this brings up a good point, I thinkEvidence (alone) seems to me to be subjective, and not objective.

I'd prefer to think of evidence as objective...but that it must be evaluated subjectively. We could get into a detailed discussion of this...but I don't want to interrupt your thought.

Quote:
In other words, I don't see evidence as something that "speaks for itself". Let's take the uptick by way of example. Let's just suppose (for the sake of argument) that some sort of diety out there had responded to a group of people's prayers, such that those they prayed for became better. Now, even though (in this example) the cure was the direct result of the prayer, presenting this cure as evidence would not convince you that such a god as these people were praying to existed.

Correct. The objective (as I see it) evidence of what happened for us to say "this person became better"...must be subjectively considered. In most studies...we really do not know where the "cure" or "improvement" came from or how it came about. The linkage with the prayer is tenuous at best.

Quote:
I'm not saying that's all bad - I am just pointing out that evidence by itself doesn't seem to be sufficient to convince anyone of anything, as there are always alternative explanations for why something happened.

We are in agreement. And I think it is necessary to evaluate the evidence to see if one can determine if there is a more (or most) likely cause. Most of the time...that may not be determinable.

Quote:
Sorry for interrupting …

Any time, Implicator. We are doing serious work here...and interruptions sometimes allows for reflection.

Quote:
Quote:

Way too dramatic.

Sort of an "extraordinary proof for an extraordinary claim" sort of drama Smile

Really good example, btw. It makes me want to ask another question, though - given my comments above. What if someone you respected in the scientific community came up with an explanation for this remarkable event that didn't require belief in any gods. Even though this was initially presented to you as extraordinary evidence, do you think you would continue to perceive it that way, after being presented with a more "ordinary" (from your perspective) explanation?

Ahhhh...an alternative explanation of how all the stars in a galaxy of 300 billions of stars went black at the exact date and time predicted by our "god"...and then came back to visibility at the exact date and time also predicted.

Well...that would present a problem.

I cannot conceive of what that "alternative explanation" would be...but I would certainly consider it.

And...if I gave it credence...I would probably, as you suggested I might, alter the way I perceive the previous evidence.

Quote:
I guess I am challenging your comment above where you say "I can assure you that I would recognize evidence if it were presented".

Are you referring to "evidence" or "proof?"

The Bible is "evidence" of the existence of a god.

It is not expecially good evidence...and in fact, I would argue that it is particularly poor evidence...BUT IT IS EVIDENCE.

And I recognize it as such.

Are you referring to "evidence"...or are you using the word evidence...and meaning "proof?"

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, so not quite as "extraordinary" maybe, but it still seems to fit the general mold of something we don't see happening all the time, and that would seem to go against what we currently know of the laws of nature. Unless that pesky scientist you respect comes up with some natural explanation, of course Wink

No problem. Refer to what I said up above.

Quote:
Quote:

I think it is a good start, for sure. I'm happy to stick with what you have suggested for evidence for now, as I don't want to muddy the waters at this point.

No rush. Whenever you are ready.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
Frank -

I am truly enjoying our chat. I apologize for taking a little longer to get back to you this time, but I can assure you it is my intention to follow this through. Also, please be aware that I have snipped some portions where we are in agreement, as well as some that I personally didn't feel the need to follow up on, in order to manage the length of this discussion. Please feel free to put any of my omissions back in, if you feel they are still relevant.

===

Quote:
Well, Implicator, allow me to start by complimenting you on the amazing way you have coped with the intricacies of A2K. It took me months to get as facile as you. With only three posts...you have mastered the techniques...and are interacting as though you have been around for a very long time.

Hmm … it almost seems like you think I am someone else - maybe someone who has changed their handle. Or maybe that is just my imagination at work. Anyway, a friend of mine invited me to this board, and so I thought I would hop on over and check it out. I have been posting on other boards for quite awhile, which when added to the "preview" option on this board means my acclimation time was rather short.

===

Quote:
Implicator wrote:
Quote:

I'm saying that I can assure you that I would recognize evidence if it were presented. I'll get back to that later...and perhaps it will become more clear then...although I think it already is very clear.

No, it isn't all that clear to me. I perceived that when you stated, "I can assure you that I would recognize evidence", that you were speaking of "evidence for or against the existence of God", as that is what you stated in your prior statement - that was the context, IOW. Therefore, my perception was that your use of "evidence" from that point onward was referring to a specific type of evidence (for or against the existence of gods).

I have no doubt that you could recognize "evidence" in the more general sense, but what I am questioning is your criteria for evaluating whether something is evidence for or against the existence of a god.

I think this confusion shows up in subsequent dialogue over the use of "evidence" without the qualifier "for or against the existence of god". Forgive me for being so anal about this, but like you point out below, we are discussing important stuff here, so it only makes sense that we take the time to be sure we understand the concepts each of us are presenting, despite the fact that the language used to express those concepts might get in the way on occasion.

===

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure … evidence of this nature could always be explained away. The card trick would be by its very nature deceitful, and not necessarily indicative of whether any gods exist. The uptick might actually be evidence, but not compelling enough, as it could always be explained by some other phenomena. .

The "uptick" is evidence! (As I mentioned above, I'll have more to say about this later...and it may become more clear.) There is no "might" about it. But as you observed...it is not especially compelling.

But what I was saying is that the "uptick" might be evidence for the existence of a god. Those aren't the exact words I used, of course, but that was the concept I was expressing, based on what I have explained above.

===

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, this brings up a good point, I think Evidence (alone) seems to me to be subjective, and not objective.

I'd prefer to think of evidence as objective...but that it must be evaluated subjectively. We could get into a detailed discussion of this...but I don't want to interrupt your thought.

This point definitely needs clarification, and so I will do just that. Evidence (alone) will not lead us to any conclusions (i.e. there are no "brute facts"). IOW, one cannot simply view evidence and objectively come to any conclusion about it without first having some criteria for determining whether it is even evidence [for the existence of a god, in this case].

I would agree that evidence in and of itself is objective, but it is woefully insufficient without some framework to evaluate it (which includes determining whether it is evidence [for the existence of a god] in the first place) from within.

===

Quote:
Quote:
In other words, I don't see evidence as something that "speaks for itself". Let's take the uptick by way of example. Let's just suppose (for the sake of argument) that some sort of diety out there had responded to a group of people's prayers, such that those they prayed for became better. Now, even though (in this example) the cure was the direct result of the prayer, presenting this cure as evidence would not convince you that such a god as these people were praying to existed.

Correct. The objective (as I see it) evidence of what happened for us to say "this person became better"...must be subjectively considered. In most studies...we really do not know where the "cure" or "improvement" came from or how it came about. The linkage with the prayer is tenuous at best.

Would the tenuous nature of the link lead you to say that although you consider the "uptick" to be evidence, you wouldn't consider it to be (specifically) evidence for the existence of a god?

===

Quote:
Quote:

Are you referring to "evidence" or "proof?"

The Bible is "evidence" of the existence of a god.

It is not especially good evidence...and in fact, I would argue that it is particularly poor evidence...BUT IT IS EVIDENCE.

And I recognize it as such.

Are you referring to "evidence"...or are you using the word evidence...and meaning "proof?"

First, let me say that I have now clarified (above) the way in which I perceived you were using the term "evidence", and therefore the way in which I also used it in the context of this discussion. That should hopefully answer this particular question.

Second, I think this segment of our discussion is a good example of why your previous comments about evidence for the existence of a god are still unclear to me. At the start of this thread, I quoted your response to dadothree, where you stated "Well so far...you have shown no evidence whatever for the existence of any gods", in reference to dadothree's comments regarding archeological evidence that was consistent with biblical references. I took this to mean that you did not feel that the Bible is evidence for the existence of a god. However, you obviously can't mean that, because you plainly state above that "the Bible is "evidence" for the existence of a god".

I am one who firmly believes that people do not knowingly contradict themselves, and so I suspect that you meant that the bible was not evidence [for the existence of a god] in one sense, yet meant that it was evidence [for the existence of a god] in an entirely different sense. Maybe you can help me understand the distinction. Either that or you meant something else entirely Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
Implicator

First of all...this discussion we are having here is without a doubt in my mind...the most interesting I've had in months. I want very much for it to continue. There are few things in life I enjoy more than a stimulating discussion with someone like you...and I hope it goes on for a long while. (I will invite you to another thread at the end of my short comments here.)

I think I can clear up most of the reservations you expressed in your last post...by simply saying that whenever I used the word "evidence" on its own in my last post...it was merely shorthand for "evidence for (or against) the existence of God."

The Bible is evidence for the existence of God. I don't consider it compelling evidence (that is my subjective impression of the objective Bible)...but it definitely IS evidence for the existence of God.

If we look around ourselves...the fact that we are here...that existence EXISTS...is evidence for the existence of God. Not very compelling evidence for the existence of God...highlighted by the fact that atheists often use the fact that "looking around" (and seeing no gods) is evidence that gods do not exist. I don't find that very compelling evidence for the assertion that there are no gods either.

At no point have I ever asserted that no evidence for or against the existence of God or gods exists...but rather that the evidence is of poor probative value...ambiguous...and often contrived.

I continue to maintain that I would recognize evidence for the existence of God if it is presented...and in fact, have already recognized such evidence as has been presented.

I don't know how to make that any clearer.

My position...my agnosticism...takes this form: I do not KNOW if a God exists....I do not KNOW if there are no gods...and I do not see any unambiguous evidence upon which I feel comfortable making a guess in either direction.

If we can get this question of whether or not I would recognize evidence for (or against) the existence of God...out of the way, I'd love to get on to whatever next is on the agenda in this discussion. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO HURRY THIS...because I can see it is important to you.

Please ask any questions that still remain that can clear this up.

And if you get the opportunity...I'd love to hear any comments you might want to offer in a new thread I started a bit earlier. Check it out here.

Oops...forgot about one item that I'd better cover:

Quote:
Hmm … it almost seems like you think I am someone else - maybe someone who has changed their handle. Or maybe that is just my imagination at work. Anyway, a friend of mine invited me to this board, and so I thought I would hop on over and check it out. I have been posting on other boards for quite awhile, which when added to the "preview" option on this board means my acclimation time was rather short.

Yep...I did. Apparently I was wrong. Please accept my apology for the way I went about questioning you on the matter...but I truly am enjoying the way you argue, and I didn't want sometimes offensive self toshow up in a more aggresive way of asking the question. :wink:
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:47 pm
Quote:
Implicator

First of all...this discussion we are having here is without a doubt in my mind...the most interesting I've had in months. I want very much for it to continue. There are few things in life I enjoy more than a stimulating discussion with someone like you...and I hope it goes on for a long while. (I will invite you to another thread at the end of my short comments here.)

FWIW, the feeling is mutual.

===

Quote:
I think I can clear up most of the reservations you expressed in your last post...by simply saying that whenever I used the word "evidence" on its own in my last post...it was merely shorthand for "evidence for (or against) the existence of God."

The Bible is evidence for the existence of God. I don't consider it compelling evidence (that is my subjective impression of the objective Bible)...but it definitely IS evidence for the existence of God.

If we look around ourselves...the fact that we are here...that existence EXISTS...is evidence for the existence of God. Not very compelling evidence for the existence of God...highlighted by the fact that atheists often use the fact that "looking around" (and seeing no gods) is evidence that gods do not exist. I don't find that very compelling evidence for the assertion that there are no gods either.

At no point have I ever asserted that no evidence for or against the existence of God or gods exists...but rather that the evidence is of poor probative value...ambiguous...and often contrived.

I continue to maintain that I would recognize evidence for the existence of God if it is presented...and in fact, have already recognized such evidence as has been presented.

I don't know how to make that any clearer.

I suspect the lack of clarity was based on your comments I referred to in my opening post (where you claimed "Well so far...you have shown no evidence whatever for the existence of any gods.") Rather than try to understand what you were saying in that post, I will simply move on as I am quite clear on what you are saying in this post - that you have, in fact, seen evidence for the existence of God, understanding that you do not, however, find it compelling enough (poor probative value, etc).

===

Quote:
My position...my agnosticism...takes this form: I do not KNOW if a God exists....I do not KNOW if there are no gods...and I do not see any unambiguous evidence upon which I feel comfortable making a guess in either direction.

So would you refer to yourself as an unbeliever in god(s), as opposed to a disbeliever? (I am guessing that as an agnostic you not only claim to lack knowledge "one way or the other", but you even claim to lack belief).

===

Quote:
If we can get this question of whether or not I would recognize evidence for (or against) the existence of God...out of the way, I'd love to get on to whatever next is on the agenda in this discussion. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO HURRY THIS...because I can see it is important to you.

I think we can move beyond this point, as you have sufficiently clarified your point for me. Also, I hope you forgive my propensity to wax Socratic, but I have another question for you, one that seems (at least to me) to be the logical next step.

You claim you have been presented evidence for the existence of a god, yet at the same time you state that such evidence has been insufficient to move you from unbelief to belief. I wonder, have you ever considered that there may be nothing wrong with the sufficiency of the evidence, but rather with how you evaluate ("process") it? Let me illuminate what I am trying to say.

I consider there to be three elements to reviewing evidence and reaching a conclusion. There may be more ways to slice this up - I happen to take the following approach. First, there is the evidence itself. Second, there is the person evaluating the evidence. Third, there is the process the person uses to evaluate the evidence - the glue that holds the first two elements together.

You have been presented with evidence for the existence of a god, yet you find it to be less than compelling. The conclusion you reach is based not only on the evidence, but also on the process you employ to evaluate that evidence. Do you feel it is possible that your process is wrong, which entails that the conclusions you come to based on the evidence may also be wrong?

===

Quote:
And if you get the opportunity...I'd love to hear any comments you might want to offer in a new thread I started a bit earlier. Check it out here.

Oops...forgot about one item that I'd better cover:

I will peruse the link and offer up some thoughts … probably tomorrow.

===

Quote:
Quote:

Yep...I did. Apparently I was wrong. Please accept my apology for the way I went about questioning you on the matter...but I truly am enjoying the way you argue, and I didn't want sometimes offensive self to show up in a more aggressive way of asking the question. :wink:

Not a problem - I wasn't sure whether it mattered or not, but I didn't want you to confuse me with someone else Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:30 pm
Implicator wrote:

Quote:

So would you refer to yourself as an unbeliever in god(s), as opposed to a disbeliever? (I am guessing that as an agnostic you not only claim to lack knowledge "one way or the other", but you even claim to lack belief).

I do not like the word "believe"...mostly because it seems to have different meanings to different people...and I never use it to describe anything about how I feel, think, opine, suppose, guess, suggest, or the lot. I'm not sure what "unbeliever" or "disbeliever" mean either.

I've give a fairly concise statement of my agnosticism.

In any case, I would NEVER refer to myself as an "unbeliever" or "disbeliever"...whatever those words mean. I think it would be better if I described what I am and feel...as opposed to labelling it...and possibly giving a wrong impression. That is, after all, why I explain my agnosticism...as opposed to simply calling myself an agnostic.

In religious discussions, it is my opinion that the word "believe" is used to disguise the fact that the person is making a guess about the unknown.

I decline to make guesses for or against the existence of God or gods...for reasons I've already stated.

Quote:
Quote:

I think we can move beyond this point, as you have sufficiently clarified your point for me. Also, I hope you forgive my propensity to wax Socratic, but I have another question for you, one that seems (at least to me) to be the logical next step.

You claim you have been presented evidence for the existence of a god, yet at the same time you state that such evidence has been insufficient to move you from unbelief to belief.

I never said anything of the sort....and short of being tortured or threatened with death, I doubt that I ever will say anything like that.

Quote:
I wonder, have you ever considered that there may be nothing wrong with the sufficiency of the evidence, but rather with how you evaluate ("process") it? Let me illuminate what I am trying to say.

I consider there to be three elements to reviewing evidence and reaching a conclusion. There may be more ways to slice this up - I happen to take the following approach. First, there is the evidence itself. Second, there is the person evaluating the evidence. Third, there is the process the person uses to evaluate the evidence - the glue that holds the first two elements together.

You have been presented with evidence for the existence of a god, yet you find it to be less than compelling. The conclusion you reach is based not only on the evidence, but also on the process you employ to evaluate that evidence. Do you feel it is possible that your process is wrong, which entails that the conclusions you come to based on the evidence may also be wrong?

Of course it is possible. Anything that is not impossible is possible.

That having been said, however...I have considered the evidence for the existence of God (and I have considered the evidence that there are no gods)...and I find that evidence to be pitifully short of being convincing.

I have no idea of why anyone else would consider the evidence available sufficient to guess that there is a God....or why anyone would consider it sufficient to guess there are no gods...

...but I do not.

Give me some idea of how you want to proceed with this line of discussion...and I will be happy to go further.
0 Replies