Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
Great cartoon!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Actually it works quite well, when combined with accurately and completely reported facts. Perhaps if either of you tried it you would understand.

"Excessively patronizing postures are often an indicator of those whose self-images exceed their ability." -Georgeob1

Cycloptichorn

Actually you have got me there. I was being a bit patronizing, and for that I apologize. I should have left out the second sentence.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:50 pm
It was the Guardian newspaper which decided to promote a campaign of inviting British citizens to write personal letters to undecided voters in one town in America.
As far as I understand it (I can check this later) the newspaper did not advise participants to promote one candidate over another (although most Guardian readers would be for Kerry over Bush), but just to write personal letters to tell their correspondents how they felt about the world situation at the present time.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
McTag:

What IS the general mood over there regarding our outrageous election here? Is there a general fear that Bush will get another 4 years? Do they see Kerry as viable enough if he wins, or just another politician coming roughly from the same mold as Bush?

What are their views on liberal progressives in our country (me being one of them) vs. the neoconservative movement?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
Quote:
our outrageous election

What is so outrageous about it? It happens every four years. The same mud gets re-flung.

What is it that makes it "outrageous"?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:31 pm
Um, I'm not asking you this question which you've already minconstrued, McGentrix.

Perhaps you should start another thread to address this specific issue of outrageous elections... :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:12 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Um, I'm not asking you this question which you've already minconstrued, McGentrix.

Perhaps you should start another thread to address this specific issue of outrageous elections... :wink:

Why would I want to do that? You brought the issue up, why not expand on it? Perhaps if you meant to ask McTag a question directed at only him you could get his email address and ask him. Otherwise, you are posting in a public forum and as such your posts are open for discussion.

Now, you called the elections "outrageous". Why is that?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:32 am
Dookiestix wrote:
McTag:

What IS the general mood over there regarding our outrageous election here? Is there a general fear that Bush will get another 4 years? Do they see Kerry as viable enough if he wins, or just another politician coming roughly from the same mold as Bush?

What are their views on liberal progressives in our country (me being one of them) vs. the neoconservative movement?

General view is, gloom and frankly disbelief that Bush still has such a hold over his supporters despite current events and evidence that he is incompetent, insular, dim and dangerous.

The jury is out on Kerry, an unknown quantity. But his election would bring great rejoicing as would that of any candidate who is not Bush.

The best view of British opinion is seen in The Guardian website, which has huge coverage.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:36 am
The Guardian is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:46 am
McTag wrote:
General view is, gloom and frankly disbelief that Bush still has such a hold over his supporters despite current events and evidence that he is incompetent, insular, dim and dangerous.

The jury is out on Kerry, an unknown quantity. But his election would bring great rejoicing as would that of any candidate who is not Bush.

The best view of British opinion is seen in The Guardian website, which has huge coverage.

I suspect that is the best view of damn near everyone on planet Earth with the exception of the kneejerk American conservatives who have simply shut their eyes to reality on this issue.

Good postings, McTag.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:07 am
McTag wrote:

And yet Paul Johnson -- whose piece is the opening for this thread and provided its title -- is a fairly well-known British Historian. Is his viewpoint shared by many there?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

And yet Paul Johnson -- whose piece is the opening for this thread and provided its title -- is a fairly well-known British Historian. Is his viewpoint shared by many there?

george

Are you joking? What in god's name are you reading? If you want to answer your own question about what Brits are thinking about the madness presently masquerading as American politics, here's three links for you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/default.stm
http://news.independent.co.uk/

If you wish to know what others in the world are thinking, try the links down the left side of the following...

http://www.aldaily.com/

ps...there is no country...NO COUNTRY...where the citizens approve of this present American administration except Israel.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
*whew*! I guess it's a good thing they don't get to vote, huh?!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

I think, not many. The most right-wing of the quality newspapers in the UK is The Daily Telegraph. A visit there would supply some counter-views but in my judgement Bush support is lower than 10% among the middle classes, perhaps rising to 20% or more in the working class who tend to be more racist (and the relevance of that here is anti-muslim) and some of whom no doubt think Bush has the right solution to the problem, by bombing people.

I wonder what Kerry would do, if elected, about Iraq. I think he would have to conduct "business as usual", and we would see no real difference on the ground. Is there any alternative, now we're in this far?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:23 am
blatham wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

george

Are you joking? What in god's name are you reading? If you want to answer your own question about what Brits are thinking about the madness presently masquerading as American politics, here's three links for you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/default.stm
http://news.independent.co.uk/

If you wish to know what others in the world are thinking, try the links down the left side of the following...

http://www.aldaily.com/

ps...there is no country...NO COUNTRY...where the citizens approve of this present American administration except Israel.

i shall leave my opinion of johnson as an objective historian for a later, long, documented posting, but bernie, note the quote from my post of 10/25/04 10:38am vis-a-vis American Bushevik perceptions of foreign opinions about Bush.

Quote:
This tendency of Bush supporters to ignore dissonant information extends to their perceptions of world public opinion. Despite an abundance of evidence that world public opinion has opposed the US going to war with Iraq, only 31% of Bush supporters are aware that this is the case, and only 9% are aware that Kerry is a more popular candidate than Bush in world public opinion.

it is without a doubt cognitive dissonance or just good ole' denial of reality on their part.

only a foreign policy bumbler like Bush could drive the Russians and Chinese back into each other's arms as a way to counterbalance the US.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
Kuv

Yes, you have it. Grand to see you, by the way.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
blatham wrote:
george
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
Stupidity and denial run hand in hand it would seem.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:19 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Stupidity and denial run hand in hand it would seem.

You are too hard on yourself. I haven't seen any denial on your part.
0 Replies