Paul Johnson: Quite simply, Kerry must be stopped

gungasnake

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 12:53 pm
Re: Kerry's statement to Congress
jdr56789 wrote:
I just finished a terriffic class called American History Since the 60's....

The really big thing which has changed since the 60s is that the pigs these days are all calling themselves democrats...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
Came right out and called democrats pigs. I hope your opinion is not representative of all republicans.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 01:20 pm
Not mine.
0 Replies

owl

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
JDR56789

If the 1000 servicemen killed in Iraq could vote who do you think they would vote for?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:28 pm
Most likely 750 of them for Bush, 200 for Kerry and 50 for whom ever.

At least according to the statistics...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
owl wrote:
If the 1000 servicemen killed in Iraq could vote who do you think they would vote for?

If they registered in Chicago, they can still vote.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
owl wrote:

If they registered in Chicago, they can still vote.

Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:22 pm
gungasnake wrote:
jdr56789 wrote:

The really big thing which has changed since the 60s is that the pigs these days are all calling themselves democrats...

Read carfefully; I'm not saying that all democrats are pigs...

In fact that's one of the standard little items on IQ tests.

All AlfaRomeos are cars.
All AlfaRomeos have the kid/snake insignia
Therefore all care have the kid/snake insignia... True or False?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:02 pm
This is good. This is what I was trying to say. Thanks Frank:

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Guardian
John Le Carré

Maybe there's one good reason - just one - for re-electing George W Bush, and that's to force him to live with the consequences
of his appalling actions, and answer for his own lies, rather than wish the job on a Democrat who will then get blamed for his predecessor's follies.

Probably no American president in all history has been so universally hated abroad as George W Bush: for his bullying
unilateralism, his dismissal of international treaties, his reckless indifference to the aspirations of other nations and cultures,
his contempt for institutions of world government, and above all for misusing the cause of anti-terrorism in order to unleash
an illegal war - and now anarchy - upon a country that like too many others around the world was suffering under a hideous
dictatorship, but had no hand in 9/11, no weapons of mass destruction, and no record of terrorism except as an ally of the
US in a dirty war against Iran.

Is your president a great war leader because he allowed himself to be manipulated by a handful of deluded ideologues?
Is Tony Blair a great war leader because he committed Britain's troops, foreign policy and domestic security to the
same hare-brained adventure?

You are voting in November. We will vote next year. Yet the outcome in both countries will in large part depend on the same question: how long can the lies last now that the truth has finally been told? The Iraq war was planned long before 9/11.
Osama provided the excuse. Iraq paid the price. American kids paid the price. British kids paid the price. Our politicians lied to us.

While Bush was waging his father's war at your expense, he was also ruining your country. He made your rich richer and your poor
and unemployed more numerous. He robbed your war veterans of their due and reduced your children's access to education. And he deprived more Americans than ever before of healthcare.
Now he's busy cooking the books, burying deficits and calling in contingency funds to fight a war that his advisers promised him he
could light and put out like a candle.
Meanwhile, your Patriot Act has swept aside constitutional and civil liberties which took brave Americans 200 years to secure,
and were once the envy of a world that now looks on in horror, not just at Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, but
at what you are doing to yourselves.

But please don't feel isolated from the Europe you twice saved. Give us back the America we loved, and your friends will be waiting
for you. And here in Britain, for as long as we have Tony Blair singing the same lies as George Bush, your nightmares will be ours.

© David Cornwell 2004
· John Le Carré is a novelist.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:43 pm
...and he writes fiction...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:10 pm
gungasnake wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
jdr56789 wrote:

Read carfefully; I'm not saying that all democrats are pigs...

In fact that's one of the standard little items on IQ tests.

All AlfaRomeos are cars.
All AlfaRomeos have the kid/snake insignia
Therefore all care have the kid/snake insignia... True or False?

Read carefully. I did not say that you called all democrats pigs. That was nice little dig though, bringing up an IQ test to imply that I'm an idiot.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:35 pm
Europe is in the grip of a low growth, high unemployment economic sclerosis. Further it is on the brink of rapid depopulation based on a plummeting birth rate. In short Europe is sinking, wrapped in denial, and cannot forgive us for thriving and dealing positively with the challenges before us.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:11 pm
Well, I don't know about all that but I know that the Euro is a lot stronger than the dollar. And while most industrialized countries have low and declining birth rates, they usually make up for that with high immigration.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:48 pm
It is harder than hell to emigrate to European countries. Their system is already overburdened. If youre not rich, or bringing a business or some sort of high demand skill, than you are **** outta luck. Thet'll not let you in unless they can get more from ya than they give.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
Stoplearning - Australia, too, I think. I was on a boat going out to the Great Barrier Reef and was chatting with a young woman from England...barely out of her teens. She told us it took her two years to get a visa to work in Australia (had always been her dream).
0 Replies

owl

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:41 am
McTag

Good post. Ont of the other accomplishments of Bush is to totally devide the country. I cannot remember when the US has been this devided.

I truly believe that the voters of this nation will never re-install this moron in the white house.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:02 am
The media divided the country and the suckers bought into it. The president did his job.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
This is hardly the most closely or bitterly fought of our Presidential elections. Jefferson - Adams was the first of many bitter ones and there have been many since then.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:53 pm
Fan of Paul Johnson here agree with his article in every particular - maybe excepting the Iranians who, oddly, have parted company with others in the Middle East and expressed a preference for Bush over Kerry.

Of course, they're not Arabs. Arabs and Jews - in a rare unanimity - back Kerry, as does most of Europe. Does anybody follow news from Russia?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm
There was the first of a new series of TV programmes broadcast here last night on BBC, which was amazingly good. Entitled "The Power of Nightmares- The Rise of the Politics of Fear" it examines how in the rise of fundamentalist Islam and the new alliance between western neo-conservatism and the evangelical Christian movement, fear is deliberately being used as a political tool. It mentioned the teachings of of Leo Strauss in Chicago? and an Egyptian called Sayyid Qutb, whose work led to the founding of Islamic Jihad.

I wish you all could have seen it/ may see it. Not one to miss. Details can be got from the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=yesterday&service_id=4224&filename=20041020/20041020_2100_4224_40078_60
0 Replies