Executive Orders

layman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 09:36 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Help me, cheesy — how did the story "misrepresent the truth"? More people favor allowing abortion than oppose it — 50-44.

Learn to read, and you'll know.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 09:39 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
With every executive order he issued, President Obama was berated by political opponents and accused of violating constitutional law. Trump's first day birthed at least one executive order. I eagerly await the firestorm to come.

funny (not funny) how Executive Orders are fine this week, even praised

can't say I'm disappointed. I like it when people respond the way I expect them to. No surprises that way.
hightor

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 09:44 am
@layman,
Quote:
Learn to read...

That's the trouble — I know how to read — that's why I need your help, brie-boy!
layman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 09:51 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Learn to read...

That's the trouble — I know how to read — that's why I need your help, brie-boy!

No you don't, you didn't even read your own post which unequivocally states:

Quote:
Looking at the polling data back over decades, one quickly sees that asking people to self-identify as either “pro-choice” or “pro-life” is a fool’s errand

Yet that "fool 's errand" is exactly what you try to use to obfuscate now. I really don't care to take the time to repeat what I've already pointed out to you (which you also can't seem to read), cheese-eater. Either get some integrity or else take your disingenuous avoidance and denial of the truth elsewhere.

You could be a man and admit the facts....

Naw, my bad. You've already proven yourself to be incapable of that.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
Everyone would also be upset if the President gave executive orders that all Canadians should be rounded up and put into camps. However, the Executive order countering that first order would probably be met with approval.

A good executive order countering a bad executive order is something that can be appreciated by all.
layman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

.However, the Executive order countering that first order would probably be met with approval.

Well, by some, maybe, eh, Gent?

Include me out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 10:53 am
@McGentrix,
To wit: "It's only okay when conservatives do it."
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:17 am
@edgarblythe,
They don't understand simple words like "hypocrite."
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:20 am
@maxdancona,
Fair enough. As you can guess I don't agree with the fearful assessment.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

No, I am ok with any EO that would nullify a previous, terrible EO.

Aren't you? Or is it only OK for Obama to be making EO's?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:31 am
@McGentrix,
Any EO that reinforces the Constitution towards equality for all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:36 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
What rights of women are under attack or perceived to be under attack?

wouldn't it be best to ask women you know about this?

I really don't understand why a group of men is asking each other these questions

Talk to women you know. You've got a life partner - talk to her - talk to young women your sons know. Find out if any of them know people who attended one of the marches. Talk to those women. Ask them questions. Listen to each other.
hightor

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:44 am
@layman,
But, Gorgonzola-boy, this is what your poll said:
Quote:
Half of Americans consider themselves "pro-choice" on abortion, surpassing the 44% who identify as "pro-life." This is the first time since 2008 that the pro-choice position has had a statistically significant lead in Americans' abortion views.

And I also provided a more detailed analysis which goes beyond the tired pro-death/anti-choice dichotomy — which you probably didn't read. Please, help me out here, Limburger-breath!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:59 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

No, I am ok with any EO that would nullify a previous, terrible EO.

Aren't you? Or is it only OK for Obama to be making EO's?

Will you be ok when's Trump signs an EO that doesn't negate one of Obamas?

Should we save the charge of hypocrite until then I suppose?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:02 pm
@maporsche,
Don't have to save it. With Trump, it's a permanent moniker.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
wouldn't it be best to ask women you know about this?

I really don't understand why a group of men is asking each other these questions

1) I see no reason that someone's gender would prevent them from talking about rights. I don't accept the idea that men have lost the right to have an opinion.

2) Women are not homogenous. 42% of women voted for Trump (and many of the women who voted for Hillary did so reluctantly). There are a significant portion of women who are against abortion rights, and a large majority who don't consider themselves feminist. So Baldimo would have to make sure you ask the "right" woman.

3) I suspect that most of the women Baldimo knows agree with him (of course it is up to him to confirm or refute this). I also expect that most of the men you know agree with you. Our country is ideologically divided... and both sides seem to ignore the facts that contradict their world view.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Doing a little research... I just found out that according to Pew women are more likely to be pro-life (i.e. state that all or most abortions should be illegal) then men are.

That is interesting.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:14 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Guess we will have to wait and see. There is a time and a place for a President making EO's. Trying to bypass Congress would be an example of when I would give it a tsk, tsk. Giving an EO to save an endangered animal or something worthwhile will probably earn my praise.

I am sure that all EO's will now become something to get out the torches and pitchforks for you guys. After all, only Obama was allowed to make EO's because he was "enlightened"... But, on the upside, as Presidents go, Obama didn't really make that many.Fewer than Bush and fewer than Clinton. We will see how Trump does. He has 6 under his belt so far.
maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh max.

Look. She's suggesting that he ask his questions to women he knows. They will likely be able to provide some context on what it's like to be a woman in America.

She's night trying to tell him that he has no right to ask the question.

This may be a big assumption, but I assume you agree that a woman may be able to offer a different perspective on what being a woman means in America right now.

Question for you. This phrase came up on a podcast I listen to. Do you think that it should be a group of men that determine if sexism is dead in America? Do you think a group of white people will determine when racism is dead in America? Do you think a group of men on a college campus will be the ones to determine if the rape culture is over?

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:18 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Guess we will have to wait and see. There is a time and a place for a President making EO's. Trying to bypass Congress would be an example of when I would give it a tsk, tsk. Giving an EO to save an endangered animal or something worthwhile will probably earn my praise.

I am sure that all EO's will now become something to get out the torches and pitchforks for you guys. After all, only Obama was allowed to make EO's because he was "enlightened"... But, on the upside, as Presidents go, Obama didn't really make that many.Fewer than Bush and fewer than Clinton. We will see how Trump does. He has 6 under his belt so far.

I don't care about EO's as a whole. I care about individual orders probably.

What I find hilarious though, and I'll continue to find this funny, is the hypocrisy. I'm sure you recognize it here on this bird and in Trump supporters in general. It's not unique to them of course, it's just a bit funnier when it's your opposition does it (like you got a kick out of during Obama)