Executive Orders

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Women marched to show that there are masses of men and women who support women's rights. They marched the day after Trump was sworn in because Trump is perceived (rightly IMO) to be a threat to women's rights. Women marched to defend rights that they feel are now in jeopardy; in no small part due to Trump's campaign rhetoric and the promises he's made and the republicans who support him.

Sounds like talking points, you didn't really provide an answer. What rights of women are under attack or perceived to be under attack?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:21 pm
@Baldimo,
I think the right to have an abortion is a big one. I keep saying the obvious.

Equal pay and protection from sexual harrassment are also pretty important issues to many women.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I will answer your question directly (assuming you don't already understand).

That sign was specifically talking about the abortion issue.

In what way do they compare abortion and gun rights? This should be interesting.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:26 pm
@Baldimo,
People have a right to own guns, that seems in no danger of being threatened. Women are in danger of losing their right to have an abortion.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:28 pm
@Baldimo,
Your question was what rights do women feel are under threat. I answered directly. If you want to understand what women are feeling, I think the best strategy is to listen to what they are saying. It seems to me that they are very clear on this point.

It seems like you are accepting as fact my assertion that women feel these rights are under threat (correct me if I am wrong). Are you really arguing that they shouldn't feel these rights are under threat (that doesn't seem like a useful argument to have)?

Obviously the line comparing abortion and gun rights is a political slogan, not a factual argument. I don't find arguing political slogans is very useful or interesting.

It seems clear to me that Trump poses a direct threat to abortion rights, particularly given his comments about the Supreme Court vacancy he gets to fill.

This is the interesting point. Do you disagree that Trump poses a risk to abortion rights?
maporsche

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:34 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Women marched to show that there are masses of men and women who support women's rights. They marched the day after Trump was sworn in because Trump is perceived (rightly IMO) to be a threat to women's rights. Women marched to defend rights that they feel are now in jeopardy; in no small part due to Trump's campaign rhetoric and the promises he's made and the republicans who support him.

Sounds like talking points, you didn't really provide an answer. What rights of women are under attack or perceived to be under attack?

People do not show have to band together and show unity in defense of anything specific Baldimo. I joined in an Brain Cancer march a few months ago. It wasn't a march to protest brain cancer, it was a march show support for people with brain cancer and their families.

You don't get to set the terms of people's free will to assemble.

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:45 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

He wasn't trying to set terms for anyone's marches. It looked to me like he was just curious if there was any actual reason for the march beyond "liberals announcing to the world that they feel sad".
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:45 pm
@maxdancona,
If by rights you mean abortion, I find it disingenuous that "women's rights" boil down to abortion. I have seen nothing by Trump that points to him wanting to ban abortion. I see no moves or words by Trump that he wants to restrict the rights of women. Does it have to do with Planned Parenthood and their funding?

Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:49 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
People do not show have to band together and show unity in defense of anything specific Baldimo. I joined in an Brain Cancer march a few months ago. It wasn't a march to protest brain cancer, it was a march show support for people with brain cancer and their families.

I've never attended a protest march, but I have done a few charity events in the past.

Quote:

Get off your high horse, I never commented on whether they could march/protest or not. I could careless what they were doing or why, I'm just trying to understand the whole issue. As I said to Max, I haven't seen anything said or done by Trump which points to him wanting to restrict woman's rights.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:57 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Baldimo wrote:

What was the point anyways? What rights do women want that they don't already have? I saw a bunch of stupid signs asking when their vagina was going to have the same rights as guns... yeah, they said that. I'm trying to figure out what rights guns have that women don't...

I will answer your question directly (assuming you don't already understand).

That sign was specifically talking about the abortion issue.

The Constitution of the United States

Quote:
Article [II] (Amendment 2 - Bearing Arms)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Can you show me the part about abortion rights?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 04:57 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

If by rights you mean abortion, I find it disingenuous that "women's rights" boil down to abortion. I have seen nothing by Trump that points to him wanting to ban abortion. I see no moves or words by Trump that he wants to restrict the rights of women. Does it have to do with Planned Parenthood and their funding?

Sure, please recognize that I am a man (and not even remotely qualified to explain how women think). I am a progressive and think I can help you understand the issue from a progressive point of view (if that is what you want).

Trump is very frightening for those of us who want abortion to be safe and legal (and I would add rare). He has stated plainly that he will appoint a pro-life judge to the supreme court, and has made several statements that he sympathizes with people who want to add restrictions to abortions.

Please note that I am trying to explain the issue, not argue it. I think that at the core this boils down to moral values (which makes it difficult to argue).

I did not mean to suggest that this is the only issue. There is also equal pay, and legal protections against sexual harrassment.

I think it is reasonable for people who have progressive views on these issues (and these aren't the only issues impoacting women) to be very worried about a Trump administration and outraged by some of the statements he and his closes political allies have made.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Can you show me the part about abortion rights?

No, I can't. The right to have a safe and legal abortion is not mentioned in the Constitution.
maporsche

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:03 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

I've never attended a protest march, but I have done a few charity events in the past.

Quote:

Get off your high horse, I never commented on whether they could march/protest or not. I could careless what they were doing or why, I'm just trying to understand the whole issue. As I said to Max, I haven't seen anything said or done by Trump which points to him wanting to restrict woman's rights.

You're trying to set the terms that this March has to be protesting something.

It was a pro-women's march. That's it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I did not mean to suggest that this is the only issue. There is also equal pay, and legal protections against sexual harassment.

Don't Buy Into The Gender Pay Gap Myth - Forbes
Wage Gap Myth Exposed — By Feminists - Huffington Post

Know Your Rights: Workplace Sexual Harassment - AAUW
Sexual Harassment at Work - FindLaw.com

So, women no longer have a pay gap to speakk of, many laws against sexual harassment... what else?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:10 pm
Not to long ago, A2K was abuzz about how America should be a Democracy. I am pretty sure that if abortion were brought up for a vote, the majority of American's would most likely vote for making it illegal.

This is one of the reasons that we are not a democracy.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:18 pm
@McGentrix,
I agree with you McGentrix. In a true democracy, there wouldn't be any need for a Supreme Court.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:20 pm
@McGentrix,
You're implying that government intrusion into private lives/women's privates is not democratic?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're implying that government intrusion into private lives/women's privates is not democratic?

ESL?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:21 pm
@McGentrix,
Answer the question. You infantile.