edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 02:37 pm
@Leadfoot,
I was not so good with cars when I was young. I learned I was better off using a trustworthy mechanic. Even if his work costs a lot, you can rely on it being done right or be given a reason it can't be fixed.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Speaking of vehrpr,

http://able2know.org/topic/364914-1#post-6350166
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Back in the 1950s, cars were simple, and even I worked on my Ford. Under the hood were the block engine with the distributor. I also did my own oil change.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I used to do simple jobs, like adjust the points, replace break shoes, oil change - I just was not good beyond that. Today, I had the mechanic change my oil, because he does better lube jobs than me as he changes it. Also had him fix the windshield washer, even though all wrong was the hoses had lost their connector. (it broke into pieces)
dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yea Ed, Imp; selfie repair has gotten positively dangerous. Re my old car, reason it quit was I tried to charge the batt, I thot in the usu way, but with neg clamped onto frame of gen, thinking it'd be a good gnd

Alas tho it wasn't, destroying the chg'n software and burning up much wiring, some under the dash where nobody wants to work
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 06:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
I've been mostly lucky re mechanics, especially one who lived three doors over for 25 years. But I was also lucky back in Eureka, at a franchise place. They were great. That may have been from a small town vibe, but I liked the people.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 06:07 pm
@dalehileman,
what the hell is vehrpr? No, I don't want to look up your link, a task too much.
Explain in real words.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 11:31 am
My truck runs so much better now. I loved giving that guy so much money for such a fine job. Really. I used to make my living as a roofing and remodeling contractor. The remodeling was a sideline. I had so many customers unwilling to pay a fair price that I got out of it. I don't want the same thing for the people I pay for repair services.

I am shortly going to get off line so that I can drive the mrs to the doctor. She is about to have some sort of gel shots to the knees. It's new
for her. I hope it is not overly painful at first and that it does its job.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Hope all goes well for her.

Going in for lens replacement on the ole eyeballs Monday. I think it will be grand to ditch the dozens of glasses lying around the house.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:44 am
So far mrs edgarblythe's treatment is on track. It takes time for the full effect to be known.

Eyes. I don't see nearly so well as in my pre forties years, but I can legally drive without glasses. I use reading glasses to read and do certain tasks requiring sharper vision, but, often, use of a flashlight makes the glasses unnecessary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:47 am
I love this essay about Joyce's final creation, in Finnegan's Wake, so much I have to post about it here.
Anna Livia Plurabelle
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/27/edna-obrien-how-james-joyces-anna-livia-plurabelle-shook-the-literary-world
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I love this essay about Joyce's final creation, in Finnegan's Wake, so much I have to post about it here.
Anna Livia Plurabelle
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/27/edna-obrien-how-james-joyces-anna-livia-plurabelle-shook-the-literary-world

I always felt this book was too far beyond my intellect. But, now, I want a copy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 08:23 am
The shots in my wife's knees are working. The full effect is slow coming, as we had been informed, early on. So, one knee feels better already. The other is only slightly better now, as it could take a month for the effect to be complete.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
I made pancakes, to go with our eggs and bacon, this morning. I no longer make the huge, pan filling, kind, but spoon batter in to make them the size of perhaps three of the silver dollar variety. The same size as some I savored somewhere around the age of three or four, from a bed inside a trailer home, where I was recovering from measles. I scarfed them down in just a few quick bites, it seemed. I had never tasted anything so fluffy and so good. I wished for more and was pretty certain none would be presented to me ever again. I was correct. If the word ambrosia means anything at all, it applies to those restaurant pancakes, with the buttery, syrupy flavor. This memory is as strong today as it was seventy years ago. I regret to this day it was just a short stack.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 12:59 pm
I go for the thin variety of pancakes too. More like crepes actually. Add maple syrup on plate and stack the cakes on top. Mmmmm....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 09:04 pm
I had to fill a gap, word-wise, in my novel. It's finally closed. Now I have to get on with cleaning and polishing. Then rewrite half of Chapter One. So now I know, it takes me about a year and a half to write a book. Maybe not the next time?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:58 pm
Building a clothes closet in the add on today. First, I had to finish a ceiling and three walls. Time was, the ceiling would have been simple. I once sheetrocked a nine foot ceiling, of about sixteen or twenty sheets, with no help. After a few efforts I ended cutting these sheets in half. I ought to get the job done tomorrow.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've done simialar. Last I looked at our old early hundred or so year old house from the alley --- I wept, sniviling in the alley on a visit there years later.

Recently, my ex connected with our old neighbornood folks that are still there, and it turns out, the kitchen remains the same. We are both rather amazed. It is sort of cheezy, Ikea and so on, but also functional (of course). Much else is different, natch.

I'm guessing architects bought.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:02 pm
There is a house in Tomball, built in about 1906, I lived in. The landlord told me he intended to cut it in half, put it on a lot out of the city, and sell it to me at a very reasonable price. It had already been moved once, from downtown Tomball, where the power company now has a building. I built a staircase, made some of the huge rooms into manageable sizes by dividing them. After a time I realized he had somewhere on the way changed his mind about moving it. That was when I moved out to here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 06:20 am
Being old and out of most mainstream activities these days, most paid surveys I signed up to take for pay are closed to me. Some of these services send me emails every day, proclaiming new surveys, which I am invited to take. But they almost always reject me. So I bailed on all but one. One survey site gives me points until I achieve 10,000. Then it allows me to apply for and receive a gift card for a hundred bucks. I have gotten gift cards for $100, $100 and $25. It takes a lot of surveys, but I don't mind.