edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 05:08 am
All the work done on the truck recently. Major tune up, catalytic converter, oil and lube, new radiator - Last year, water pump and other. Yet, coming home last night, the check engine light pops on. Possibly a censor. But whom k-nows?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 09:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

All the work done on the truck recently. Major tune up, catalytic converter, oil and lube, new radiator - Last year, water pump and other. Yet, coming home last night, the check engine light pops on. Possibly a censor. But whom k-nows?

I took the truck to an auto parts store to test for the reason the light came on. But, on the way, it went out again. So there was nothing to test.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 10:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
By the time you get everything fixed, you could have bought a newer truck.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 04:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
Only buying a brand new truck would eliminate the need for repairs. Another used one could mean a repeat of what I already had fixed.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 07:20 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But, on the way, it went out again. So there was nothing to test.

If it was a real warning, the trucks ECU stores those trouble codes even if the light goes out again. Any significant stored codes do not go away until manually reset with the scan tool. If a good scanner shows nothing then it should be OK.

Run'em till they drop! It takes a lot of repairs to make it worth having car payments again.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 07:23 am
@Leadfoot,
I will give that a try, later on. My truck has always had intermittent signalling when the check engine light starts showing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 03:46 pm
Went with the wife to jury duty, just to keep her company. We took the Park and Ride bus, because it is quicker and you don't have to look for a place to park. That bus was my first experience with one that crowds the seating the way airlines crowd it. I had to walk sideways to get down the aisle and still apologized to a lady for bumping her. There were close to a hundred there, the afternoon crowd. The first call emptied half of the pool right away. Then a man read off names, until there were just four left sitting. Miraculously, my wife was one of the four. We were let go and got home forty five minutes ago.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 04:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Jury duty is a positive experience. I was selected as the foreman for our jury for both the trial and penalty phase. It was the second longest trial in Santa Clara County up to that date, and lasted three months.
I wrote to the court secretary to request that my name be removed from the rolls, but she told me that couldn't be done. However, I was never called again. TG
I also served on the Civil Grand Jury for the 2003-2004 term. That was also an interesting experience, and I'm glad to have served.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Jury duty is important, but my wife has too many issues to be off to downtown Houston from Tomball. There are closer courts she could participate in and I am sure she would readily take part. The park and ride bus lets you off blocks away from the courthouse. Going home we just missed the bus and had to wait on the corner an hour for the next. Her knees, back and shoulders are in terrible condition. I urged her to ask her doctor to provide her a statement that will get her exempted.

As for me, I have served on juries and found it rewarding, for the most. There was one trial I was picked for that did not see justice, but I realize they expected a conviction from nearly every person they might have picked. The man asked if anybody was prejudiced against the defendants and I raised my hand. He ignored me. These people did not dispute they chained a small child to an abortion clinic. The chain was of such superior quality they broke the jaws of life trying to cut it. As the judge said, the case was not about abortion, but the destruction of valuable property. I had them guilty immediately and said so. The defense was just going through the motions to launch an appeal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 06:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
She should get the exemption; sitting all day in court is not easy. Having to concentrate for so long is exhausting. I took notes all day long. As a jury member, you just can't afford to make any mistake when it affects the life of an individual.
While in deliberation, we asked for some of the items to be delivered to us so we could examine it first hand.
That's the reason I asked to be excused from another trial.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 06:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is there an age limit to being called for jury duty?

I was called once, about a dozen years ago, but the case was settled.. and we were sent on our individual ways.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 07:08 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Is there an age limit to being called for jury duty?

I was called once, about a dozen years ago, but the case was settled.. and we were sent on our individual ways.

At age seventy they quit calling you.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hmm, they called Diane recently, and she is above 70. I'll nose around and see if New Mexico has a different date than Texas.

I found it... 75, which I am, but I have to file an affadavit requesting exemption.
Bah...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 08:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I didn't realize it could change with the state.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 08:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've served on juries before but all of the cases were settled without the need for a jury verdict. Never found out what the verdicts were. The last time I was called, the letter said to expect a long but interesting trial.....I really wanted to serve, but I was dealing with some health issues and requested the court allow me to participate in shorter duration trials. They haven't asked me since.

When the judge asks the potential jury members if they have ever been the victim of a violent crime, anyone who holds up their hand is disqualified, same thing goes for crimes of a sexual nature. I know that violent assault and sexual assault are similar in that both are forced....but the judge addressed both. I don't know why.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 08:38 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm not so knowledgeable in that, but I assume they would tell you if you knew the right people and asked about it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 08:54 pm
@glitterbag,
I think it's because the judge may feel the victim will prejudge the case based on their personal experience.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 08:55 pm
We left out at ten AM, because we did not know how long it would take to get there. Deadline was 12:15. We followed Kuykendahl to where it intersects with I-45 freeway and pulled into the park and ride. After a ten minute wait, the bus came and we rode the HOV lane into the city. The bus driver told us the court house was two blocks down the street, then amended it to three. We ended walking at least four. They had moved it from the building we were expecting. I ate a breakfast of blended flax seeds and flax oil with cottage cheese, topped by a fruit salad of apple, grapefruit and orange. Drank morning coffee before that. We got back to near home around four PM and the temperature outside was 85. We stopped for food at Whataburger. I had a double Whopper and she a single. Fries and drink. It was the first thing we had since breakfast. Oh, and we ate a candy bar. I had a nap on returning home. I keep drinking ice tea. Can't seem to get enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:44 pm
The time we sat in the jury room was beneficial, for me. I read about half of After Worlds Collide. It got me immersed in the story so that I am bound to keep at it to the end. It's a very old paperback, so the lighting has to be very good to avoid straining my eyes. I see best out of doors, so I sat on the porch to read another chapter today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 09:36 pm
I graduated from a flip phone to a flat one. I am having a tough time adjusting to it. I am already missing that piece of **** flip phone.