Global Warming: Junk Mathematics

Baldimo

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:15 pm
Magus wrote:
Too late, gsnake, you've exposed yourself... as a Biblical Literalist, who dismisses the observations and deductions of Darwin and his devoteés, disregards all the findings of geologists and paleontologists, and chooses instead to believe in Noach, the Ark and The Flood.

You probably also believe that in "ante-diluvian" times, Giants walked the earth and mated with human females (about as likely as Great Danes copulating with Chihuahua bitches).

Do you toss off the irrationality of your belief system by considering yourself "blessed" with "faith"?

Just as deluded cultists have done in every age.

I don't begrudge you your illusions/delusions, but I DO object to any attempts to impose those beliefs upon myself and others who believe differently.

BTW... I checked out some of your links. Years old, apparently there's not much new on the matter... no photos, no expeditions, no samples taken by deep-sea submersibles... nothing.
Gee, I wonder if that's indicative of anything...

This is the type of bigoted talk I get labeled with when talking about Islam and homosexuals. Why do you get a pass on your crap?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Magus wrote:
This is the type of bigoted talk I get labeled with when talking about Islam and homosexuals. Why do you get a pass on your crap?

It looked like a comprehensive summation to me. What part did you have a disagreement with?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:11 pm
mesquite wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Magus wrote:

It looked like a comprehensive summation to me. What part did you have a disagreement with?

The whole post struck me as bigoted blathering and basically just an exercise in setting up strawmen. The claims that I am a biblical literalist and that I have ever made any sort of an effort to "impose" my beliefs on anybody else are BS for starters.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:22 pm
OK, the imposing your beliefs remark was a bit over the top. It is after all a voluntary forum. I suspect Magus had in mind the upsurge of religion into politics, and attempts to ban the teaching of evolution and force the teaching of creationism in our public schools, but that is beyond the scope of this topic.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:26 pm
Gunga,
Are you saying that you are not a Biblical Literalist?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:41 pm
mesquite wrote:
Gunga,
Are you saying that you are not a Biblical Literalist?

That's right.

Take the story of the flood for instance. A biblical literalist has to believe that the flood was something visited upon mankind for our sins. I don't buy that. To me, the flood is simply a cosmic event which we got in the way of. There was evidently enough warning for the one guy, Noah, to take the extraordinary precaution of saving large numbers of animals in an ark while the literatures of other nations talk about people and animals surviving on mountaintops and anything which could float for the better part of a year and now, as I noted, we start finding cities 2000' beneath the waves.

The guys who wrote the Old Testament simply never wrote that John went to the bathroom; they wrote that the Lord CAUSED John to go to the bathroom for such and such a reason. That was the writing style of the period. Now, you can make whatever you will of the religious interpretation in such cases but one thing you can take to the bank is that when those guys wrote something like that, John DID go to the bathroom. They were not into simply making stuff up. Likewise in the case of the global flood, it DID happen, regardless of what you might think of the religious interpretation in Genesis.

The waters of the flood are still out there, there is still too much water on this planet, and we WILL have to get rid of some of it sooner or later, as I noted.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:54 pm
gungasnake wrote:

The waters of the flood are still out there, there is still too much water on this planet,

Where?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm
Einherjar wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

The waters of the flood are still out there, there is still too much water on this planet,

Where?

In the oceans, where the fish live...
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:18 pm
The oceans didnt cover much more than 70% of the earth last time I checked.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:26 pm
Einherjar wrote:
The oceans didnt cover much more than 70% of the earth last time I checked.

Humans have always lived near water. Very likely, we are now living in areas which would have been viewed as plateaus and sparsely if at all inhabited prior to the flood. In all likelihood, the vast majority of if not all the places humans inhabited prior to the flood are now beneath the waves.

There is no way to reconcile standard theories of Earth history with our finding cities 2000' beneath the waves, as I mentioned.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:28 pm
That might be less than totally clear. A global flood would not have to cover everything on the planet in order to be seen as worldwide by people watching every place they ever even thought about living being swept away.

The claim I am making is that the oceans simply were not as big prior to the flood. You didn't have 3/4 of the world covered by water.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:49 pm
So you belive that mass quantities of water appeared out of nowhere and flooded the earth?
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:24 am
Looks like that's about the size of it, Einherjar.

gsnake also admits to a "belief" that there was a man- named Noah- who literally built this enormous vessel (with the assistance of ONLY his three sons Ham, Shem and Japheth) as cited in Genesis, then loaded it with ALL the animals.

Not just some cattle, poultry, cats and dogs... but ALL the animals that were the ancestors of today's extant animal species.

Amazingly, MANY people "believe" in this fabulous tale, and that ALL humans are descended from Noah and his three sons.

Furthermore, gsnake believes that some anomalous "structures"/formations located a few years ago, 2000 feet under the surface of the ocean somewhere to the west of Cuba, are the vestigial remnants of a metropolis built by some ancient people... he posits the city as being the legendary Atlantis.

He theorizes that the water which covers said "city" was not present at the time of the city's heyday... it spontaneously appeared from somewhere- "outer space".

Of course, anyone who disputes the unlikely nature of such a fabulous tale is like someone who tells a "believing" child that Santa Claus is a mythical creation... a spoilsport.
Some people hold that "faith" in "Santa Claus" should not be dispelled.
Personally, should I encounter an adult who "believes" in "Santa Claus"- literally- I would think that individual pathetically deluded.

But that's just me... I guess that, as a skeptic, I'm just a "spoilsport".

...Just like when I disputed the President's claims that Saddam Hussein's Iraq possessed an enormous cache of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" with the intent of using said weaponry to devastate the USA.

I was among the segment of the population who wanted more than anecdotes and rumors concocted to serve ulterior motives... but the gsnakes of the nation called me "unpatriotic".

Time has proven that I was NOT unpatriotic.

I was perceptive.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:18 am
Einherjar wrote:
So you belive that mass quantities of water appeared out of nowhere and flooded the earth?

Space isn't "nowhere". Where do asteroids and comets come from?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:21 am
Magus wrote:
Looks like that's about the size of it, Einherjar.

gsnake also admits to a "belief" that there was a man- named Noah- who literally built this enormous vessel (with the assistance of ONLY his three sons Ham, Shem and Japheth) as cited in Genesis, then loaded it with ALL the animals.

I'd GUESS that there's a bit more to the story than that, but I also don't think anybody in those days ever just totally made up such stories.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:28 am
The flood waters came from space. Now, there's a good idea.

Noah, the only one out that night, looked up to the heavens and saw the approaching...ice cube? big oddly shaped mothership with "Kohler" written across the bow?

This is a sound theory. Backing it up are the numerous previous observations of large, even ocean-sized, water thingeys meandering about in the solar system. Then they hit the atmosphere and don't evaporate (a characteristic of spacewater). Happens all the time.

Damned fine theory, this one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:39 am
Quote:
I'd GUESS that there's a bit more to the story than that, but I also don't think anybody in those days ever just totally made up such stories.

Me neither. Folks back in those days didn't have to make things up because they knew what was going on. The Haida, for example, must have witnessed the birth of the universe out of the beak of a raven as they wouldn't have just made that up. And the Maori too...the earth and the sky were lovers but got in a big fight and became really pissed with each other and got a sort of early-era divorce and that's why the sky is up there. Nobody just made that up.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:39 am
Some believe that there'd always been a water canopy over the Earth and that it collapsed. Another possibility would be the oceans of Mars getting dumped on this planet in some sort of a near miss between the two planets, since whatever happened to Mars' oceans now appears to be a big mystery. There ARE possibilities.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:44 am
A water canopy? Yes, that answers everything. Thanks.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:46 am
Fascinating discussion.
0 Replies