Global Warming: Junk Mathematics

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:31 pm
From Gungasnakes site:
Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn wrote:
Brazen lies, needless to say, are usually the most successful ones, especially if they are savagely stupid, and contradict the truth.

I doubt he realises how beutifully that aplies to his possition.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:37 pm
Wow.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:13 pm
Einherjar wrote:

And Norway was on the winning side of WWII, so there Razz

They teach you that in your schools??

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/lecture11.html

Quote:

But in April 1940, Hitler struck at Denmark and Norway. Hitler needed to establish naval bases in these countries from which his submarines could attack England. Denmark surrendered in only one day and Norway soon followed.

If that's "winning", I don't want to know what losing would amount to...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm
gungasnake wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
The objections to big bang as I see it have little if anything to do with religion.

Bull. Your theories, and the names you drop come straight from evangelical christian sites.

http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-228.htm
http://www.tccsa.tc/articles/big_bang_helfinstine.html

I do not remember posting either of those links. How am I implicated in dropping names or espousing theories from evangelical sites??

I never said you posted these sites. I am saying that your rhetoric, including the theories you espouse and the sources you quote, are identical to these sites. These sites don't hide their theology.

I offered these sites as evidence that your views on science are clearly informed, and most likely shaped, by fundamentalist evangelical christian thinking.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:20 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

And Norway was on the winning side of WWII, so there Razz

They teach you that in your schools??

Duh

Norway was not on the side of the Nazis, who lost the war. Norway was on the side of the allies who won the war. That leaves Norway on the winning side of the war, which is not to say that Norway won the war. Get that?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:50 pm
Somebody who surrenders in one day is not on anybody's side but their own...
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:16 am
We held on for a couple of months, there was a counterofensive well under way with British asistance when Hitler invaded France and the British decided their tanks and aircraft would be put to better use there. The goverment fled to England, and didn't surender, and the fleet joined with the British.

As for Denmark, I dont blame them for surendering. Denmark is a small flat country just north of Germany, and didn't really have anything to put up against the wermacht. We should have had a chanse, and were it not for the incompetance of certain politicians we would more than likely have repelled the invasion. Once the Germans had captured a couple of major ports and the British withdrew their assistance it was pretty much over for us too though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:00 am
gungasnake wrote:

Neither the links worked nor is there any website "thedarwinpapers.com" at all on the www.
(A source like a normal history site or from a history department would do, anyway.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:05 am
Those links were all fine yesterday but seem to be experiencing some sort of a problem right now. Try it a bit later.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:33 am
Well, actually - you may excuse, but I'm stick in academic life - a website by " a man uniquely chosen by the Lord with a message", I have some doubts about it's value to historical correctness.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
I was wondering what the basis was for a certain poster's obtuseness.
Now I know...
Evangelical Fundamentalism.

Snake-oil salesmen and snake-handlers operate within a certain milieu... not EVERYBODY buys into their line of illusions.

FACT is, sea levels ARE rising.
Here in Connecticut, we're witnessing the rapid disappearance of the coastal marshes- they are getting swamped by rising sea levels, and cannot adapt to the changes fast enough... which impacts birds, fish, insects, and mammalian sectors of the ecosystems.
The variations of the past were more gradual, and the ecosystems adapted... but there is rapid change occurring IN OUR TIME and the ecosystems are failing to adapt.
Lost habitats means lost bio-diversity.

Those who seek freedom from culpability will rather find someone else to blame for their misdeeds... the polluters and exploiters and ravagers will wreak their havoc but aspire to cast the blame upon anyone and everyone else.

So, go ahead.
Trade your children's patrimony for a mess of pottage.
Sell your children into bondage.
Engineer for them a legacy consisting of the sins of their fathers.

As for Mr. Limbaugh's contention that the aggregate of man's impact upon the environment amounts to less than that of one volcano... Mr. Limbaugh by himself emits more hot noxious gas than Mt. St. Helens.
Mr. Limbaugh is a mediawhore gasbag peddling swill to swine.
Note that Limbaugh is clever enough to tailor his swillage to the particular tastes of his clientele... and they eat it up like there's no tomorrow... embracing Apocalyptic theology, they already BELIEVE that there's no "Tomorrow"... so they aspire to self-fulfilment of their dire prophecy.

So, go ahead, poison the well, start the wars, waste your inheritance.
Be the Prodigal.

Convince yourselves that all will be forgiven if you just say you are sorry.

...and mail your letters to Santa earlier rather than later.

Who needs responsible stewardship when you've got "Faith"?!

SOME people think that the Placebo effect is all-powerful...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 02:56 pm
Magus wrote:
I was wondering what the basis was for a certain poster's obtuseness.
Now I know...
Evangelical Fundamentalism.

Snake-oil salesmen and snake-handlers operate within a certain milieu... not EVERYBODY buys into their line of illusions.

FACT is, sea levels ARE rising.

They might be. But if they are, it has nothing to do with human activities and, if we eliminate or cripple our technological civilization, then we won't be able to do anything about it when we have to.

The basic reality is that we need to get some of the water off this planet and I believe we will be able to do that shortly, but not if we sign onto the Kyoto treaty and start doing things that way.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 02:59 pm
gungasnake wrote:
The basic reality is that we need to get some of the water off this planet and I believe we will be able to do that shortly, but not if we sign onto the Kyoto treaty and start doing things that way.

You are truly unique.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
I disagree, Aqui.
The neo-con Bundhalls and Fundie Prayer Meetings are FILLED with like-minded people among whom gsnake would blend "right" in.

Many of them reject Evolutionary Theory, opting instead for "Creationism"... and only begrudgingly allow that the Earth is a sphere orbiting the sun.

To refer to them as ideologically blinded twits would be unkind, so I shall refrain from doing so.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:12 pm
Maybe we should have a test on voting day. One question. Do you believe in creationism? Anyone answering yes doesn't get to vote, and has to go back and repeat high school.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:20 pm
snake wrote:

Acquiunk wrote:
You are truly unique.

Magus wrote:
I disagree, Aqui

He ought to be
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:49 pm
Amongst the things which are turning up these days which do not jibe with the normal academic paradigm for prehistory are the remains of a city 2000' beneath the waves off Cuba.

http://www.google.com/search?q=underwater+city+cuba&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

That's altogether aside from sunken ruins being found in much shallower water off the coasts of India and Japan. You might could explain the later without invoking large scale planetary changes; how any sort of a city occupied in the age of man could now be 2000' below the waves is another story altogether.

The basic reality as I view it is this. There was simply never as much water on this planet prior to the flood as there is now. There was an age called hypsothermal about 6000 years ago which was a planetary temperature maximum and the reason we didn't all drown is that there wasn't enough water on the planet for us to drown. The present continental shelves were probably the ocean boundaries then, i.e. the pre-flood ocean boundaries.

IF it gets that warm again, we've GOTTA get rid of some of the water. I believe we'll be able to do that in another 20 - 50 years.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:59 pm
Too late, gsnake, you've exposed yourself... as a Biblical Literalist, who dismisses the observations and deductions of Darwin and his devoteés, disregards all the findings of geologists and paleontologists, and chooses instead to believe in Noach, the Ark and The Flood.

You probably also believe that in "ante-diluvian" times, Giants walked the earth and mated with human females (about as likely as Great Danes copulating with Chihuahua bitches).

Do you toss off the irrationality of your belief system by considering yourself "blessed" with "faith"?

Just as deluded cultists have done in every age.

I don't begrudge you your illusions/delusions, but I DO object to any attempts to impose those beliefs upon myself and others who believe differently.

BTW... I checked out some of your links. Years old, apparently there's not much new on the matter... no photos, no expeditions, no samples taken by deep-sea submersibles... nothing.
Gee, I wonder if that's indicative of anything...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:39 pm
Nothing worth responding to there...
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:21 am
gungasnake wrote:
Nothing worth responding to there...

Nope
0 Replies