Global Warming: Junk Mathematics

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:20 pm
Gungasnake wrote:
I don't really want to get into any arguments over evolutionism, which I view as totally idiotic.

Is this a common view in the states?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
Gunga,

I read the link and googled the issue.

First of all no one except you said "... serious scholars have no further use for big bang and that it is only being defended by second-raters. " This is clearly false since most physicists, including those who are on the cutting edge of cosmology, accept the Big Bang.

Second, it is clear from a google search that there is a religious movement that is motivating these objections (to the Big Bang as well as to evolution). Not that there is a problem with this, but historical religiously based objections to science, for example Galileo, have not been very productive.

Each reader must choose between scientists and preachers.

I am betting on the scientists.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:41 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Gungasnake wrote:
I don't really want to get into any arguments over evolutionism, which I view as totally idiotic.

I am afraid so. A fundamentalist strain Evangelical Christianity permeates our culture. This is not always bad, but when it comes to scientific understanding, it is not good.

This poll was done by the Gallup institution...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

Notice the difference between scientists, educated Americans and the American public.

When scientists go against the preachers, the preachers often win. People won't even stop to understand the evidence.

With evolution and the cosmology, it is easy to see why Biblical Christians may want to avoid ideas that contradict doctrine.

With global warming, certain parts of our society have tapped into the same mechanisms religious folk use to avoid thinking that might lead them to question their beliefs. They have somehow turned this into a doctrinal issue. Go figure.

As Archie Bunker said, "Faith is believing something that no one in their right mind would believe."
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:54 pm
The objections to big bang as I see it have little if anything to do with religion.

In fact religionists of various stripes ought in theory to be the first to embrace the idea since at first blush it appears to be a scientific version of one of the various creation stories wihch you read in religious texts.

The most obvious problems with big bang are purely philosophical. Having all existing matter collapsed to a single point would be a black hole, in fact a sort of a super black hole. How's anything going to bang itself loose from that??

Supposed God banged it loose 17 billion years ago as some claim. If an omnipotent and omniscient being did that 17 billion years ago, why didn't he figure out that would be a cool thing to do 17 trillion or 17 quadrillion years ago? That's basically irrational.

Aside from that sort of consideration, the basic reality is that big bang was never really based on anything more than an interpretation of redshift phenomena, and that sort of thing has now pretty much been disproven, courtesy of Halton Arp and a number of other competent astronomers. Simply put, Arp has demonstrated any number of examples of high and low redshift objects which are clearly part and parcel of the same phenomena.

And when you get one of the directors of Los Alamos like Tony Peratt claiming it's all over for the big bang, that's more than good enough for me.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:57 pm
duplicate due to posting error
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
duplicate due to posting error
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:01 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Gungasnake wrote:

Does that seem shocking to you?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:21 pm
WOW, 47% of all americans belive that "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years."

I thought this sort of phenomenon was confined to the midwest, but to reach these sorts of numbers it has to be a nationwide epidemic.

ebrown_p wrote:
As Archie Bunker said, "Faith is believing something that no one in their right mind would believe."

Too true

Gungasnake wrote:
Supposed God banged it loose 17 billion years ago as some claim. If an omnipotent and omniscient being did that 17 billion years ago, why didn't he figure out that would be a cool thing to do 17 trillion or 17 quadrillion years ago? That's basically irrational.

How does that not apply to every creation-myth involving god?

Quote:
And when you get one of the directors of Los Alamos like Tony Peratt claiming it's all over for the big bang, that's more than good enough for me.

You trust moviedirectors over the scientific community? Well that explains the 47 percent.

Eddited for spelling
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:23 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
Gungasnake wrote:

Well, yes!

In Norway you might get 5 %, if you only polled ministers that is.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
ebrowns link wrote:
Belief in creation science seems to be largely a U.S. phenomenon. A British survey of 103 Roman Catholic priests, Anglican bishops and Protestant ministers/pastors showed that:

97% do not believe the world was created in six days.
80% do not believe in the existence of Adam and Eve
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:32 pm
Einherjar wrote:

Quote:

You trust moviedirectors over the scientific community? Well that explains the 47 percent.

Tony Peratt is one of the directors of the Los Alamos (physics) Laboratory. Thermonuclear weapons, plasma physics, and that sort of thing. The English word 'director' does not apply only to Hollywood and the movie industry...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
gungasnake wrote:
The objections to big bang as I see it have little if anything to do with religion.

Bull. Your theories, and the names you drop come straight from evangelical christian sites.

http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-228.htm
http://www.tccsa.tc/articles/big_bang_helfinstine.html

Evangelical Christians do have understandable historical and doctrinal objections to the Big Bang theory. I don't know of anyone, outside of the Evangelical Christian community who supports these theories which to most scientists are beyond the fringe.

Quote:

The most obvious problems with big bang are purely philosophical. Having all existing matter collapsed to a single point would be a black hole, in fact a sort of a super black hole. How's anything going to bang itself loose from that??

This displays a basic lack of any understanding of physics. We can take this up in the Science and Math thread if you find it worthwhile.

Quote:

I have never found psychoanalyzing God a very productive thing, even in debate.

Quote:

Aside from that sort of consideration, the basic reality is that big bang was never really based on anything more than an interpretation of redshift phenomena, and that sort of thing has now pretty much been disproven.

Neither of these things are true. Most physicists accept the big bang theory as pretty well proven, or at least the probable right answer. There is pleny of evidence for the big bang other than redshift, including cosmic background radiation.

I have never heard of Halton Arp before this discussion. I noticed a most of the references to his work are on evangelical christian and creationist websites.

Quote:

Tony Peratt is not listed as one of the directors of Los Alamos. The directors are listed here:

http://www.lanl.gov/organization/listings.shtml
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:41 pm
Einherjar wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
Gungasnake wrote:

Well, yes!

In Norway you might get 5 %, if you only polled ministers that is.

Aside from being junk science, evolution was also the most major philosophical foundation of naziism, communism, and the various 'eugenics' movements you had in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s.

Newt Gingrich said it best: The question of whether you view your fellow man as a fellow child of God or as a meat byproduct of random and stochastic processes simply HAS to affect human relations. If you actually believe the later, then there is no logical basis for morality. There is nothing really other than fear of possible consequences to prevent your becoming a nazi, a communist, a gangster, a cannibal, or whatever you like.

Now, the last time somebody put these ideas into practice in any sort of a large-scale way, Norway was one of the victims and not one of the winners, if memory serves.

Do people in Norway really view tha sort of a thing as such a cool idea?

Suppose somebody decided to bring that state of affairs back, i.e.suppose they found enough genetic material to clone Adolf Hitler and re-establish the nazi-German state. Would Norwegians approve of that?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:49 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

Bull. Your theories, and the names you drop come straight from evangelical christian sites.

http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-228.htm
http://www.tccsa.tc/articles/big_bang_helfinstine.html

I do not remember posting either of those links. How am I implicated in dropping names or espousing theories from evangelical sites??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:53 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Aside from being junk science, evolution was also the most major philosophical foundation of naziism, communism, and the various 'eugenics' movements you had in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s.

You might not know that, but evolution isn't indedd a theme in Europe since late 18th century, be it among evangelical or catholic Christians.
(I really think, only about <1% of Germans discuss this.)
And it's the first time, I noticed someone relate this to Nazi doctrines or communism.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:01 pm
Back to the original argument. . .

Gunga, the two articles you refer to ARE junk science. It's not a coincidence that Nature wouldn't print either one because they are bogus.

They use enough language to pursuade the American who doesn't think, but when they come across people who do, their game is exposed. It's politics intertwined with science, a very BIG problem I have with this administration!!!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:14 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And it's the first time, I noticed someone relate this to Nazi doctrines or communism.

http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/oldsite/number12/Darwinpapers12HTML.htm

http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/oldsite/number13/number13.html

http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/oldsite/number14/Darwin14.htm
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:17 pm
Joe Republican wrote:
Back to the original argument. . .

Gunga, the two articles you refer to ARE junk science. It's not a coincidence that Nature wouldn't print either one because they are bogus.

I only recall posting one url and that was to a letter sent to the editors of Nature and then to New Scientist Magazines (New Scientist published it), and the letter was signed by about a hundred of the world's best physicists. Anybody who would refer to something like that as 'junk science' simply hasn't a clue as to what he's talking about.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:18 pm
For the benefit of anybody who missed it:

http://www.cosmologystatement.org
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:19 pm
Gungasnake wrote:

First I fail to see the role of evolution as a "major philosophical foundation" for any of the above, at best it was thrown in as an afterthought.

The Nazi's were creationists, only jews had evolved from the same anscestors as apes.

The communists distorted evolutiontheory to say aquired characteristics were passed on to future generations.

And eugenics? That is encouraging selective breeding of humans, which requires no more understanding of evolution than it takes to breed sheep which grow more wool or cattle that produces more milk, which was practiced thousands of years before Darwin.

I could start listing ideologies which builds on distorted versions of Christianity, starting with Nazism, but I would presume that you have heard it all before, or at least enough of it.

Gungasnake wrote:
Newt Gingrich said it best: The question of whether you view your fellow man as a fellow child of God or as a meat byproduct of random and stochastic processes simply HAS to affect human relations. If you actually believe the later, then there is no logical basis for morality. There is nothing really other than fear of possible consequences to prevent your becoming a nazi, a communist, a gangster, a cannibal, or whatever you like.

There is idealism. Besides, I have yet to see evidence that religion has ever kept anyone out of those cathegories. (exept perhaps communism by definition) Atheists are underrepresented in prisons, you knew that right?

Morality is an axiomatic structure, it needs no logical basis. It is useful, and therefore it is theorised and implemented. You see "a meat byproduct of random and stochastic processes" as undiserving of the curtisy you yourself expect because you see yourself as something different. People treat other people as equals if they see them as equals no matter what they consider the species origins. The same mechanism that allows you to think as you do about "meat byproducts of a random stochastic process" alowed the nazis to think similar thoughts about jews, and the white population of the united states to think similar thoughts about Blacks. Morality is structured to allow a comunity to function, and moral rights are not extended beyond the percived comunity. I for instance do not see slaughtering a cow as murder.

Gungasnake wrote:
Now, the last time somebody put these ideas into practice in any sort of a large-scale way, Norway was one of the victims and not one of the winners, if memory serves.

Evolution is a theory, not a doctrine. It can not be put into practice as it does not detail any action.

And Norway was on the winning side of WWII, so there Razz

Gungasnake wrote:
Do people in Norway really view tha sort of a thing as such a cool idea?

"naziism, communism, and the various 'eugenics' movements"? NO

And evolution is wieved as just as cool an idea as gravity and heliocentrisity.

Gungasnake wrote:
Suppose somebody decided to bring that state of affairs back, i.e.suppose they found enough genetic material to clone Adolf Hitler and re-establish the nazi-German state. Would Norwegians approve of that?

Would Norwegians approve of a resurection of the third reich? NO, off course we wouldn't. (exept perhaps a few extreemists who belive they were created by a higher being)

You really should stop reading so much innto a simple theory.

If you want to debate this despite what you said earlier, just say so, and we'll set up a thread on the religion forum.
0 Replies