Global Warming: Junk Mathematics

stoplearning

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:15 am
The only bit of "data" I have is reality. Canada is a nation of massive ecological wealth. Diamonds, Oil, Timber: Just to name few. Canadas population is only aboyut 30 million. The median income of your country shoudlnt be below the U.S., but it is. Massive wealth in Canada. Unfortunately, your currency is very unstable. The past 30 years have heen a massive decline in its values. Canadian currency has been up recently, but thaat doesnt erase 30+ years. Investors are wary.

There seems a massive beauracracy in Canada. Not being able to buy beer and hard liquor in the same store is a little bit ridiculous(ontario. Niagra falls). No doubt there is an agency to regulate this. Canada is beautiful, Whistler Mountain rocks; but I couldnt live in Canada.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:25 am
stoplearning wrote:
Huh? I am saying that all these countries that tout thier education system as superior are ultimatley deficient. They are educated, but the governemt solves many of their life problems. The people dont learn to help themsleves. Nanny government. Few obstacles. They can espouse some philosophical/scientific info, but if you place a seriious problem in front of them, I dont think they could handle it like many Americans.

A better question might be, granted Canada was on the right side of WW-II and serves useful purposes here and there... what have Canadians ever done which might distinguish themselves? I mean, forgetting about the myriad inventions attributable to Americans, the airplane and sewing machine etc. etc., you can look to Japan and see the perfection of Damascus style weaponry, you can look to India and the muslim world and see the foundations of modern mathematics, you can look to the Medeterranean basin and see phoenetic alphabets, you can look to the Zulu nation and see the short spear and Shaka's military inventions...

What has Canada ever produced which anybody might compare with any of those things?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:32 am
I don't know what currency rates and movement tell us about anything. When I was a kid, the Canadian dollars was worth much more than the US dollar. Was Canada a significantly better country at that point? And what does investor confidence have to do with whether or not the citizens of a community live a fulfilling life? Your yardsticks are not merely arbitrary and highly questionable, but terribly incomplete as well. Eg, poverty, child deaths, etc.

There is no significantly larger or more invasive bureaucracy in Canada than in the US (my first wife was American, my daughter went to senior high in the US, and I've spent a lot of time there, including presently). Claims to the contrary are myth. You could live in either country and not notice the change. You point to liquor laws in Ontario but that's a provincial matter, in BC they are different. Still, hardly much of a burden on liberty.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Einherjar wrote:
Gungasnake, I challenge you to come up with a reason why "microevolution" would not over time amount to "macroevolution", as species change bit by bit by bit.

There would be evidence for that and, in actual fact, there is none.

The fossil record shows only one pattern: an animal kind, whichever taxonomic group you want to denote this and most non-evolutionists would use the term 'species' here although you'd probably want a slightly higher group, appears out of nowhere, goes for a very long period of time with no meaningful change, and then either dies out or is still with us, basically unchanged. What that means is that via genetic drift or mutation you might see the kind of change which would lead to the present human racial groupings, or to finches with different kinds of beaks, but not to different kinds of animals. Not to an animal with new organs, and a new basic plan for existence.

Consider what real scientists have been saying on the subject for the last 80 years or thereabouts:

Quote:

"Despite the bright promise that paleontology provides a means of 'seeing'
evolution, it has presented some nasty difficulties for evolutionists, the
most notorious of which is the presence of 'gaps' in the fossil record.
Evolution requires intermediate forms between species and paleontology does not provide them ..."

David B. Kitts, PhD (Zoology)
Head Curator, Dept of Geology, Stoval Museum
Evolution, vol 28, Sep 1974, p 467

"The curious thing is that there is a consistency about the fossil gaps;
the fossils are missing in all the important places."

Francis Hitching
The Neck of the Giraffe or Where Darwin Went Wrong
Penguin Books, 1982, p.19

"The absence of fossil evidence for intermediary stages between major
transitions in organic design, indeed our inability, even in our
imagination, to construct functional intermediates in many cases, has been
a persistent and nagging problem for gradualistic accounts of evolution."

Stephen Jay Gould, Prof of Geology and
Paleontology, Harvard University
"Is a new general theory of evolution emerging?"
Paleobiology, vol 6, January 1980, p. 127

"...Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils ... I will lay it on the line,
there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight
argument."

Dr. Colin Patterson, Senior Paleontologist,
British Museum of Natural History, London
As quoted by: L. D. Sunderland
Darwin's Enigma: Fossils and Other Problems
4th edition, Master Books, 1988, p. 89

"We do not have any available fossil group which can categorically be
claimed to be the ancestor of any other group. We do not have in the fossil
record any specific point of divergence of one life form for another, and
generally each of the major life groups has retained its fundamental
structural and physiological characteristics throughout its life history
and has been conservative in habitat."

G. S. Carter, Professor & author
Fellow of Corpus Christi College
Cambridge, England
Structure and Habit in Vertebrate Evolution
University of Washington Press, 1967

"The history of most fossil species includes two features inconsistent with
gradualism: 1. Stasis. Most species exhibit no directional change during
their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the
same as when they disappear ... 2. Sudden Appearance. In any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its
ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed'."

Stephen Jay Gould, Prof of Geology and
Paleontology, Harvard University
Natural History, 86(5):13, 1977

"But, as by this theory innumerable transitional forms must have existed,
why do we not find them embedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?" (p. 206)

"Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such
intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely
graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory (of evolution)." (p. 292)

Charles Robert Darwin
The Origin of Species, 1st edition reprint
Avenel Books, 1979

"Darwin... was embarrassed by the fossil record... we are now about
120-years after Darwin and the knowledge of the fossil record has been
greatly expanded. We now have a quarter of a million fossil species but the situation hasn't changed much. The record of evolution is still
surprisingly jerky and, ironically, ... some of the classic cases of
Darwinian change in the fossil record, such as the evolution of the horse
in North America, have had to be discarded or modified as a result of more detailed information."

David M. Raup, Curator of Geology
Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago
"Conflicts Between Darwin and Paleontology"
Field Museum of Natural History
Vol. 50, No. 1, (Jan, 1979), p. 25

"Now, after over 120 years of the most extensive and painstaking geological exploration of every continent and ocean bottom, the picture is infinitely more vivid and complete than it was in 1859. Formations have been discovered containing hundreds of billions of fossils and our museums are filled with over 100-million fossils of 250,000 different species. The availability of this profusion of hard scientific data should permit objective investigators to determine if Darwin was on the right track. What is the picture which the fossils have given us? ... The gaps between major groups of organisms have been growing even wide and more undeniable. They can no longer be ignored or rationalized away with appeals to imperfection of the fossil record."

Luther D. Sunderland (Creationist)
Darwin's Enigma: Fossils and Other Problems,
4th edition, Master Books, 1988, p. 9

"My attempts to demonstrate evolution by an experiment carried on for more than 40 years have completely failed. ... The fossil material is now so complete that it has been possible to construct new classes, and the lack of transitional series cannot be explained as being due to the scarcity of material. The deficiencies are real, they will never be filled."

Prof N. Heribert Nilsson
Lund University, Sweden
Famous botanist and evolutionist
As quoted in: The Earth Before Man, p. 51

"A circular argument arises: Interpret the fossil record in terms of a
particular theory of evolution, inspect the interpretation, and note that
it confirms the theory. Well, it would, wouldn't it?"

Dr.. Tom Kemp, Curator
University Museum of Oxford University
" A Fresh Look at the Fossil Record"
New Scientist, Dec 5, 1985, p. 66

"Much evidence can be advanced in favour of the theory of evolution -- from biology, biogeography and paleontology, but I still think that to the
unprejudiced, the fossil record of plants is in favor of special creation.
... Can you imagine how an orchid, a duckweed, and a palm have come from the same ancestry, and have we any evidence for this assumption? The evolutionist must be prepared with an answer, but I think that most would break down before an inquisition."

E.J.H. Corner, Prof of Botany,
Cambridge University, England
Evolution in Contemporary Botanical Thought,
Quadrangle Books, 1971, p. 97

"At the present stage of geological research, we have to admit that there
is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the view of
conservative creationists, that God created each species separately,
presumably from the dust of the earth."

Dr. Edmund J. Ambrose
Emeritus Prof of Cell Biology, University of London
The Nature and Origin of the Biological World
John Wiley & Sons, 1982, p. 164
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
double post deleted...
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
I'm guessing gungasnake missed this one, so I'm reposting it.

Einherjar wrote:
Gungasnake, I challenge you to come up with a reason why "microevolution" would not over time amount to "macroevolution", as species change bit by bit by bit.

Edit: And as I did, gungasnake answered my post. Sorry for the inconvenience.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:49 am
blatham wrote:
You point to liquor laws in Ontario but that's a provincial matter, in BC they are different. Still, hardly much of a burden on liberty.

What about the recent draconian firearms bans? I mean, why would anybody want to live in a country with grizzly bears with just kitchen knives for weaponry? Isn't that a bit like the problem Santino Corleone mentioned in Godfather I ("I don't want my brother standin there with just his dick in his hand")??
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:57 am
Oh lord gungasnake....I live in Canada and I've only seen bears in the zoo. We also have shootings here on an increasingly regular basis.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:00 am
gungasnake wrote:
blatham wrote:
You point to liquor laws in Ontario but that's a provincial matter, in BC they are different. Still, hardly much of a burden on liberty.

What about the recent draconian firearms bans? I mean, why would anybody want to live in a country with grizzly bears with just kitchen knives for weaponry? Isn't that a bit like the problem Santino Corleone mentioned in Godfather I ("I don't want my brother standin there with just his dick in his hand")??

Right this very moment, a grizzly is tearing down my street in a new Chrysler. They are all over the place, those grizzlies. The only place you won't find them is where the polar bears have made landfall from an iceburg and driven them out.

Canadians have to register firearms. Draco couldn't have gone further than that. We loved it when Heston came here to speak. He said, and I quote, that Canadians ought to demand 'their god-given right to bear arms'. He was, of course, alluding to Thessalonians 7:13.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:02 am
I suppose gunga also wasn't aware that per capita, Canadians own more guns than Americans.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:04 am
There is rather a lot of which gunga is unaware.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
Cavfancier - some of us here try to bring up the average: life member of the NRA, I own 8 guns and I'm looking to buy a few more. If any of this is related to global warming, the connection eludes me, but this seems like a good point to remind people that Kerry would take away our guns.

Vote for Bush!!!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:11 am
Canada would be the second most populous state I believe were it added as a whole to the US.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:13 am
blatham wrote:
I don't know what currency rates and movement tell us about anything. When I was a kid, the Canadian dollars was worth much more than the US dollar. Was Canada a significantly better country at that point? And what does investor confidence have to do with whether or not the citizens of a community live a fulfilling life? Your yardsticks are not merely arbitrary and highly questionable, but terribly incomplete as well. Eg, poverty, child deaths, etc.

There is no significantly larger or more invasive bureaucracy in Canada than in the US (my first wife was American, my daughter went to senior high in the US, and I've spent a lot of time there, including presently). Claims to the contrary are myth. You could live in either country and not notice the change. You point to liquor laws in Ontario but that's a provincial matter, in BC they are different. Still, hardly much of a burden on liberty.

O.K. What party has controled your governemnt for the past 50 years?(aside from 1 conservative term). This should be an interesting question. What amount of money is paid out in social services, and what amount is collected from taxes? I couldnt answer this question about my own country, but I still think it its a valid question. How much does the beauracracy collect off of you each tax cycle?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
HofT wrote:
Cavfancier - some of us here try to bring up the average: life member of the NRA, I own 8 guns and I'm looking to buy a few more. If any of this is related to global warming, the connection eludes me, but this seems like a good point to remind people that Kerry would take away our guns.

Vote for Bush!!!

I have no problem with owning guns. As a private caterer, I cook for a lot of hunters in game season. I also don't have a problem with registration, and a waiting period. I'm not really up on what Kerry has actually proposed regarding guns, to be honest. However, I don't recall seeing anything about a complete ban.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
Kerry wouldn't take away American's guns. I would though. Particularly Helen's.

Stoplearning
I'm afraid you've got our political history rather wrong. At the federal level, power has been held pretty evenly between the Liberal and Progressive Conservative parties over the last half century. Look up John Diefenbaker, Joe Clarke, Brian Mulroney. The last of these, Mulroney, held office coincident with Reagan, and held it for eight years. However, he and his party became so detested for pork barrel fraud, arrogance, and catering to the wealthy elites that his party was completely decimated in the following election. Even though that party had originated and held sway (with the Liberals) since the early 1800s, that party no longer exists. What was left of it, merged with a far right party.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
ginga..........oh, I mean gunga,

Where did you get that list of excerpts? Did you compile that all by yourself? Such scholarship! If you didn't, kindly provide your source. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
Trahttp://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookEVOLII.html#Evidence for Evolution

Webpage Title

I could google up tons of sites that agree with me, but I hate when other people do that, so I won't unless asked to.

The fact is that there are tons of evidence of evolution, primarily similar trraits in related species. These similarities are not limited to actual caracteristics of animals, lineages can also be traced by similarities in junk dna. No, we don't have samples from long extinct species, but the extent of similarities between closely and less closely related species matches up nicely with the amount of time passed since speciation.

Even if you do not recognise any transitional forms, you have to recognise that the fossil record shows clear lines of descent. Species that appear show remarkable similarities to species that preceded them, and appear in the same geographical location.

And again I wonder where you draw the line between "microevolution" and "macroevolution". Would you consider something like a cat evolving innto something like a tiger micro or macro? how about something like a rat evolving innto something like a vombat? Something like a sheep evolving into something like a cow?

Can you come up with any mechanisms that would prevent "macroevolution" other than an opinion that natural selection would not favor intermediary species?

Edited to remove flawed link
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
I fear the concept of natural selection is a bit too complicated for some.

Did you ever wonder, gunga why certain families or sub-families of homo sapiens disappeared and other (evolved) families are found with similarities to the earlier extinct family, but with signficant differences?

What could have contributed to the demise of the earlier family?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
Einherjar wrote:

The fact is that there are tons of evidence of evolution, primarily similar trraits in related species. These similarities are not limited to actual caracteristics of animals, lineages can also be traced by similarities in junk dna. No, we don't have samples from long extinct species, but the extent of similarities between closely and less closely related species matches up nicely with the amount of time passed since speciation.

That amounts to the fallicy of interpreting all evidence for change as evidence of EVOLUTIONARY change. As I've mentioned, there are other ways in which change can occur, such as genetic engineering and re-engineering and, in fact, there is evidence strongly suggesting such a history of change in our own genome as I've noted (the thing about Henry Gee's article on about page 21 of this thread).
0 Replies