America's retaliation against Russian hacking.

Krumple

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:15 pm
@Brand X,
Wanna know how to take down the US?

Ctrl + alt + del
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 11:05 pm
@georgeob1,
John Lewis is six years older than the 70 year old flabby young stud Donnie Trump. I hear that John Lewis actually pays his bills.
old europe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:18 am
Clearly, it's completely in accordance with the dignity of the office if the incoming President of the United States compares the CIA to Nazi Germany. Also, there's no problem if the incoming President of the United States sides with an authoritarian regime over its own intelligence services. Conservatives would have applauded Obama for doing those things:

Quote:
CIA boss John Brennan says Donald Trump ‘doesn't understand Russia’ in scathing attack on President-elect

‘It’s more than just about Mr. Trump. It’s about the United States of America’

The departing CIA director John Brennan has given a damning appraisal of Donald Trump, warning the President-elect does not fully understand the threat posed to the US by Russia.

Speaking to Fox News with five days to go until Mr Trump is sworn in as the 45th President of the US, Mr Brennan said the billionaire businessman’s forthright “talking and tweeting” are not in the country’s best interests.

Mr Brennan’s comments highlighted the ongoing tension between the President-elect and the intelligence services, after the leaking of unverified raw intelligence alleging close ties between Mr Trump and Russia.

In a series of tweets after those explosive allegations were made public, Mr Trump appeared to blame the intelligence agencies for letting the dossier be released. He wrote: “Are we living in Nazi Germany?”

Mr Brennan told Fox News Sunday that Mr Trump had indeed been briefed about the allegations before they were reported by CNN, despite the President-elect’s advisers saying he was not aware of them.

“What I do find outrageous is equating intelligence community with Nazi Germany,” Mr Brennan said. “I do take great umbrage at that.

[...]

“Spontaneity is not something that protects national security interests and so therefore when he speaks or when he reacts, just make sure he understands that the implications and impact on the United States could be profound,” Brennan said.

“It’s more than just about Mr Trump. It’s about the United States of America.”

[...]
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:25 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Why would you associate Morocco with Russian hacking?

Easy: Morocco --> carpets --> what Trump is to Putin --> Russian hackers
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Since when do past achievements, no matter how admirable, provide anyone from immunity from criticism?

Because of Lewis' "iconic" status, he was, I'm sure, selected to utter the truly outrageous claim that Trump's presidency is illegitimate. It was a totally irresponsible comment from a member of our government. Period; end of sentence.

I'm also quite sure that they anticipated that Trump would strike back with a tweet as he did.

The timing wasn't coincidental.

I have heard numerous complaints that "on the eve of MLK Day" Trump had the audacity to attack John Lewis.

The game being played is obvious. It will no doubt cheer the dolts who could care less about integrity, but everyone else understands it.

For decades now, John Lewis has been purely a partisan hack trading on his richly deserved, but long past laurels.

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And yet, he pays his bills.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:24 pm
@glitterbag,
And you know this how?

In any case, who cares?

I pay all of my bills. Will you now credit everything I say as true?
nimh

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:35 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
You have added nothing to the conversation, but "pound sand" & like epithets . Others here have, and continue to, do worse, but frankly I expected more from you.

I agree with you here.

That said, to go on a bit of a tangent, it doesn't make it less amusing to imagine the harrumphing post you'd be casting in Blatham's direction if he were to have used these same sentences to lecture a wayward A2K user about his crude posting ways. Who does Blatham think he is, trying to police discourse, the condescending elitist, etc.

Blatham and you are really frightfully similar in many ways, for better and for worse - the fact that he seems to annoy you more than anyone here is quite striking but probably not coincidental.
layman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:40 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

the fact that he seems to annoy you more than anyone here is quite striking but probably not coincidental.

Hey, don't leave me out, eh? Nothing more annoying to me than a commie-ass cheese-eater.
nimh

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 04:05 pm
@layman,
But you have almost nothing at all in common with Blatham (I assume you'll agree), so there's nothing "striking" about him annoying you.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:19 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
. That said, to go on a bit of a tangent, it doesn't make it less amusing to imagine the harrumphing post you'd be casting in Blatham's direction if he were to have used these same sentences to lecture a wayward A2K user about his crude posting ways. Who does Blatham think he is, trying to police discourse, the condescending elitist, etc.

Blatham and you are really frightfully similar in many ways, for better and for worse - the fact that he seems to annoy you more than anyone here is quite striking but probably not coincidental.

Interesting question Nimh. I don't dispute your point about "the harrumphing post" I might make. I have made a few, mostly short and sweet, comments about name-calling and vulgar epithets on these posts, but I don't think that is what you really have in mind. I do dislike the continuing stream of pasted opinion pieces, all suggesting the existence of some dark, evil movement conservative conspiracy, and characterizing their alternatives and those who advocate them, as sweet reasonable pragmatic models of goodness and truth. ( i.e. Koch brothers pure evil: Soros good). Blatham calls that "false equivalency" or something like that. I think he is nuts. Human nature is a common element in most such divides.

Blatham and I have extremely different backgrounds, experiences and outlooks -- very little there that is common. There may well be some personal characteristics that unite us, but, other than stubborn determination, I don't know what they might be. Blatham does not annoy me at all as a person: indeed sometimess I find him quite engaging. I do find the doctrinaire propaganda a bit tiresome, and particularly dislike his proclivity to conflate mere disagreement with evil intent and conspiracy. Blatham is a rather Medieval figure, who may be better suited for a role as a 13th century Dominican Inquisitor in Languedoc chasing down Gnostic heretics. I doubt he sees himself that way, but that is surely how his posts appear to me.

In my life I have repeatedly learned to mistrust those who are sure they alone know beyond doubt what is the right answer for any knotty problem. Indeed second order side effects, unsually unanticipated, comprise most of human history. The absence of doubt and skepticism strikes me as an element of insanity. I have led a number of organizations and groups of men doing new (to us) and challenging things. In each undertaking I have learned to value people with open and questioning minds, who keep alternatives always in mind and are quick to seize on and report new unanticipated facts. In this sense constructive disagreement is a necessary precursor to the right decision. Equally important, I have learned to quickly get rid of those who appear sure in advance that they know the solution. It has served me well.
layman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:28 pm
@georgeob1,
The rhetoric of the hate-monger is characterized by four things: (1) unsubstantiated demonization, (2) amateurish simplification, (3) hostile intolerance, and (4) fanatical certitude.

Quote:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” (Bertrand Russell, eh?)

Ideologues don't need no stinkin facts. They can deduce every bit of empirical knowledge needed from their fanatical tenets. Needless to say, they can do the same when deciding on the needed solutions.
Frugal1

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:31 pm
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16003228_10154948181714776_1945040750521612424_n.jpg?oh=dc72b454c829c9da391e2fba96dcf56d&oe=59167EEC
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:37 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

The rhetoric of the hate-monger is characterized by four things: (1) unsubstantiated demonization, (2) amateurish simplification, (3) hostile intolerance, and (4) fanatical certitude.

This is a good definition. The irony is that you don't recognize it being demonstrated right in front of you, here on A2K, when its purveyors are fellow conservatives. After all, this summarizes the content of most Frugal or Giujohn posts to a T. Or some of your own, for that matter.
nimh

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:40 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Blatham and I have extremely different backgrounds, experiences and outlooks -- very little there that is common. There may well be some personal characteristics that unite us, but, other than stubborn determination, I don't know what they might be.

I can think of quite a few, actually. One or two of them are even positive things. ;-)

It would seem churlish to expand on the others, though, in response to a post as thoughtful or this. But I can't vouch for being able to bite my tongue some other time. :-)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:47 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
In my life I have repeatedly learned to mistrust those who are sure they alone know beyond doubt what is the right answer for any knotty problem. Indeed second order side effects, unsually unanticipated, comprise most of human history. The absence of doubt and skepticism strikes me as an element of insanity.

And yet you appear to support Donald "I Alone Can Fix It" Trump. And not in a tentative, "he might be wrong on a number of things, but he's closest to the positions I might support" kind of way. Instead, you seem to be all in.

Seems to be a bit of a mote/beam issue here.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 07:01 pm
@georgeob1,
Are you a lover of Putin and Russia? Your selected president to be is. Do you as a exmilitary man believe we can work with the Russians? Why?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 07:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And you know this how?

In any case, who cares?

I pay all of my bills. Will you now credit everything I say as true?

Sometimes I agree with you , maybe not often but at least you pay your bills and are not creating financial distress for others. John Lewis didn't lie about anything, he expressed an opinion that angers some of you. It wasn't all that outrageous, Trump claimed for years to have proof that Obama was a foreign national and a muslim. Some people still believe it. And yet i don't recall people outraged that Trump was making things up and that he never accomplished anything that enriched this society or promoted freedom. But i keep forgetting how charismatic people of dubious character can be to some.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 07:56 pm
@old europe,
Perhaps it is you who fails to understand that of which you speak. There is plenty of reason to doubt and be skeptical about Trump. However none of the overstated categorical nonsense I have read here meets that test, and none of it allows any uncertainty in the forecasts attendant to it. It's hard ( and largely useless) to communicate skepticism to a fanatic.