America's retaliation against Russian hacking.

Builder

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 02:33 am
@layman,
People forget the small mercies, when confronted with big issues.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 03:34 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
But just because he overstates things, that doesn't mean there is no truth to any of them.

Yes, like the idea that his mother was a orang utang. I think there's some truth there, overstated as it may be... :-)
Builder

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 03:42 am
@Olivier5,
Where were you in the cabal days of the shrub and chain criminal empire?
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 05:07 am
@Builder,
I was posting on Yahoo boards at the time, and unlike your bed fellows here who all supported what you call the "criminal empire", I was anti-Bush and anti-Iraq war all the way...

You've switched to the dark side. I haven't.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:02 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

nimh wrote:

layman wrote:

The rhetoric of the hate-monger is characterized by four things: (1) unsubstantiated demonization, (2) amateurish simplification, (3) hostile intolerance, and (4) fanatical certitude.

This is a good definition. The irony is that you don't recognize it being demonstrated right in front of you, here on A2K, when its purveyors are fellow conservatives. After all, this summarizes the content of most Frugal or Giujohn posts to a T. Or some of your own, for that matter.

I think you are missing the humor, irony and occasional trenchan insights that distinguish Layman here.

With the emphasis on "occasional". Meanwhile, what I said is that some of his other posts (and most of Giujohn's and Frugal's) meet the criteria he just laid out.
Frugal1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:03 am
@nimh,
What you said is wrong... most of what you say is wrong.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:41 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:
What you said is wrong... most of what you say is wrong.
I'm sure, nimh will taking your highly qualified response to heart - as they say in his language: "Jeetje, wat voor een klootzak u bent."
Frugal1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
YOU are characterized by four things: (1) unsubstantiated demonization, (2) amateurish simplification, (3) hostile intolerance, and (4) fanatical certitude.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:55 am
@Frugal1,
Thanks for your expert opinion.
I'll send the royalties to your known bank account at Сбербанк России.
layman

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 09:49 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Meanwhile, what I said is that some of his other posts (and most of Giujohn's and Frugal's) meet the criteria he just laid out.

You're entitled to your opinions (which you assert as fact), and this isn't a topic I really care to debate with you.

That said, if you have a post of mine, or a combination of posts, which you think satisfies those 4 criteria, and care to demonstrate just where, how, and why they fit the criteria, I will listen. If it's just a "feeling" or "impression" you get, that's OK too, but just say so.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
From now on it appears that we are going to be deluged with Oh So Clever assertions of Russian allegiance by Left-wing wags.

This is the first I've seen of the insipid ploy on A2K but it's all over the internet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

I thought you had my ass on "ignore," eh, Al? Ya back to lyin again, that it?

Soup for you!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:35 am
@Builder,
Yes indeed, and she didn't even wait a few months to at least give the impression the foundation wasn't all about pay for play. No power, no play; no play, no pay.

Practically an admission of guilt.
maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:18 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
Well the answer lies in the sentence you quoted. Take out the obviously exaggerated and categorical stuff ( "Trump is unfit... ; a pathological liar; interfered with our election: " etc.) and you are left with a very small residue of material that might be worth considering.

Why are you taking out those statements? How do you determine that a statement like "interfered with our election" is obviously exaggerated?

It seems that you pick and choose certain items that you either want to believe or will categorically refuse to believe, and then work your way backwards in order to find a way to dismiss the source. It's been posted here - reported by a multitude of media outlets, and coming from a number of sources - that there is general agreement within the intelligence community that Russia interfered with the election, and, more specifically, did so in order to sway the election towards Trump. Yet when confronted with this, you will either choose to shoot the messenger ("It's the Washington Post, who's going to believe them!?") or simply sidetrack the conversation into incredibly broad, vague generalities ("Presidents are human beings, complex creatures filled with contradictions, perceived virtues that become faults in office and the converse.")

georgeob1 wrote:
Trump speaks in very (sometimes almost absurdly) specific and concrete terms with vivid and specific references ( "build a wall..." ) , and he does so often with apparent inconsistently ( though there is an easily detected central tendency in it). Despite that I believe most of his supporters believe they know what he intends to do far better than they knew what they would get from the more elegantly loquatious Obama. His opponents merely seize on the inconsistencies.

Which merely means that Trump supporters go through his various statements, and then pick and choose which ones they want to believe, and which ones they will dismiss - with a multitude of justifications, ranging from - early in the primaries and election - "He's just rallying his base with extreme positions, he will obviously walk them back after the primaries/after the Republican convention/during the general election/once he's won the election/once he's in office" to "He's a businessman and just establishing a strong negotiating position, he obviously can't let his opponents know what he really wants" to "He's just provoking those liberals and the mainstream press, what he says is not really his opinion" to "He's just giving the masses very specific, colorful illustrations of broader policy proposals - they're obviously not meant to be taken literally!"

In other words, it seems that Trump supporters completely accept the fact that Trump will state something that obviously has to be untrue. They just believe that they're in on the joke, that he may be leading on all those ignorant liberals and media types and Republican opponents, but they know exactly which statements are false and which ones are true. Because he's plainspoken, and rejects political correctness, and tells it like it is, and is just a blue collar guy who's made it, and he's always, always honest with them.

Opinions on what is supposed to be taken literally and what is obviously hyperbole/being a clever businessman/goading liberals might vary from one supporter to the next. With the general agreement that you have to evaluate whatever Trump says based on whether or not it feels right to you, not based on whether or not it's inconsistent with what he's said previously.

IF only republicans did with Obama what they're doing with Trump. Things like "you can keep your doctor" wouldn't even be issues. Just understand that when Obama said those things he was talking generally, not specifically.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:19 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

YOU are characterized by four things: (1) unsubstantiated demonization, (2) amateurish simplification, (3) hostile intolerance, and (4) fanatical certitude.

Those qualities narrow the search down to about 5% of posters here and even they slip over the line from time to time
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:37 am
@maporsche,
They wouldn't.

I think it's also striking how the conversation here has changed. During the Bush years, conservatives would debate for pages and pages and pages that the Bush administration most definitely was not lying when they were saying that Saddam had ties to al Qaeda and was supporting them, or that Iraq had an active nuclear program and was hiding weapons of mass destruction.

In the era of Trump, his supporters don't even bother to make that kind of argument. It's too obvious that Trump will state flat out falsehoods or contradict himself, sometimes within less than 24 hours. So instead the argument has changed to say his followers don't need to focus on what Trump might say or not say on any given day, they are able to detect the central tendency in what he says despite the words that come out of his mouth.

Only his opponents would be silly enough to focus on what an incoming President of the United States actually says to try and determine his political positions.
Frugal1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:38 am
Polls indicate most Americans regret voting for HRC.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:00 pm
WikiLeaks: Clinton Bribed 6 Republicans To ‘Destroy Trump’
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 03:34 pm
@old europe,
As Kellyann Conway said, "look at Trump's heart, not what he says."
Yup, she's an attorney. Probably a successful one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6tjjSpf4ZM
Baldimo

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 03:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
She is also the first woman to lead a Presidential Campaign to a win. Where are all the pro-women's groups at? You would think this was the story of the century, accept she did it for a member of the GOP, so no big news. It's the double standards of the left which make this not a big news story.