What I can do to Reduce the Effect of Climate Change in the Future

RyanO45

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:01 pm
I'm currently conducting research for a science project at school and I'm doing my research on reducing the effects of climate change. I have questions for anyone viewing this post so please answer all of them.

1. Is climate change something important to you or something you care about?
2. What is the main cause of climate change in your opinion? How would you reduce the main cause?
3. What do you think will happen in the future?
4. What would you do to reduce the effect of climate change? How would you get people involved?
5. Is this a topic people should be aware of?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 17,159 • Replies: 235

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:08 pm
@RyanO45,
Yes
2. What is the main cause of climate change in your opinion? How would you reduce the main cause?
There are two: gas powered engines, and power stations that use fuel or coal
More alternative energy sources like solar panels and wind turbines
4. What would you do to reduce the effect of climate change? How would you get people involved?
We installed solar panels on our home. Nothing; that's a personal choice for every one.
Of coarse. Especially if they have children and grandchildren.
Look at the pollution in China (Beijing). Much of their rivers and air are now polluted.
http://24indianews.com/beijing-issued-first-air-pollution-red-alert-for-2016-on-thursday/

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:16 pm
@RyanO45,
1)yes.
2)people, greedy blood sucking people. Solution? How are you with prayer?
3)earth will flood over washing away the greedy blood sucking varmints! (unfortunately it'll also wash away many innocents)
4)enforce regulations which currently exist. Write and enact new legislation with additional methods of cleaning things up a bit and enforce ethese new laws as we'll.
Require people to give a segment of their life to protecting planet earth by cleaning up trash both on land and sea, planting trees. Why require it? Because number of slimy blood sucking cretins won't follow the previously mentioned regulations.
5)yes.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:30 pm
@Sturgis,
ere going to meet at HArpers Ferry Va right after Xmas in order to take over an turn this air wasting country around. You in?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:19 am
@RyanO45,
1 No
2 a. Nature. b. I wouldn't.
3 Same stuff as yesterday.
4 Nothing, I wouldn't.
5 No
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 11:04 am
Yes
Of course we people. We can hardly reduce ourselfes, but the world can hardly take as many as we are-
It is very difficult to say. But politicians are too afraid of really doing something.
People are often too lazy to use public transportation, want food from far away countries, which when flown will cause polluion. Western countries fish along Africa´s coasts and destroy it for the fishermen there.
Western women want pineapple diets - too many pineapple plantagens which are not good.
People crave too many varitions of dairy products so much gets to be pure vaste.
Something like 60% of the food ends up as waste. This from farmer to kitchen.
People crave vacations in far away countries and fly...
Beautiful areas are destroyed by large hotels.
Some of the worst polluters are the cruise ships.
What do I do - careful with waste, using public transportion as much as possible, not buying new things constantly because they are cheap. Prefer good quality even if more expensive as it last.
Taking no cruises what so ever.
5. Is this a topic people should be aware of? Certainly - but who cares?
Cheap and plentiful is what modern life is about.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 11:35 am
@RyanO45,
Quote:
What I can do to Reduce the Effect of Climate Change in the Future

Absolutely nothing.
RyanO45

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 05:59 pm
@Frugal1,
Please answer all of the questions. Not the post name. Thank you
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 07:19 pm
1. No
2. The climate is always changing, it's natural and humans have zero influence on what the climate does.
3. The planet will continue it's life cycle, with or without humans.
4. Do whatever you like, but do not force others to do as you want them to & believe what you believe.
5. It's a fraudulent topic, the more people that become aware that it's a hoax - the better.

Quote:

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 08:18 pm
@RyanO45,

Of course.

There are several, meaning use of fossil fuels. The bigger problem is the small percentage of people on the planet using most of these resources. Worse yet, using them mindlessly, and needlessly

I do disagree with saab when he says we can hardly lessen the amount of people. We most certainly can. Because of advances in medical science, there is no longer the need in industrialized countries to have more than 1 or 2 children. For those who would say it is their right to have more, they need to realize how the results of this right will affect those they claim to love so much, and their children. They give it lip service, but not if it means they can't get a latte.

This leads into the next part of a solution, seeing the folly of instant gratification. We are on a hamster wheel of working too hard, to make money, to spend on items and services that harm the environment, so we can keep working harder, buy more, etc. In the country I live in, it seems every parent "needs" a stroller the size of an SUV, and and 2 SUV's in the driveway to cart it, and many other things around. In many other countries, you carry your child until they can walk, then they walk with you.
Our priorities are very much screwed up.

I think life will get very much harder for everyone but the most rich, who can protect themselves in simulated environments. I think this will go on for many generations. I believe the few that have the power do not care what happens to the general population, as long as they are protected.

Are we talking wave a magic wand and get your wish? If we are, as well as limiting the amount of children any one person can have, we can curtail much of our everyday travel. With todays. and the futures technology, many many people should be able to work at home most of the time, without losing much, or any socialization that comes with work.
Instead of building upwards, we could think about going downwards. Homes and multi family dwellings could be designed with excellent ventilation, ways devised to admit natural light, large open areas for recreation, and enough ways to enter and leave so that being trapped would be no more of a concern than if one lived on the 5th or 50 floor above ground. Temperatures underground are stable, and environment powered shuttles could be used to used to get from place to place.
Much of the land above would over the years be converted to parks, land to grow food, and or let to go back to a natural environment.
They could be very beautiful. I could imagine art flourishing in places like that.

How would I get people involved? Sorry, that's not my baliwick. It would, I imagine require the promoting by very wealthy individuals who have an interest in humans not only surviving, but having quality of life.
For all the conspicuous consumption we engage in, I'm not sure we have that great a quality of living. We have "riched" ourselves into heart disease, diabetes, various cancers that come from our current lifestyle, and existed to a much lesser extent just a couple/few generations ago.

Yes, however, too many people would be more interested in where they can buy the t-shirt, bag, keychain or water bottle that will announce to the world their interest in saving the planet.....from themselves.
saab

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 02:56 am
@chai2,
I am for families having less children - just like you. But the politicians in our western culture wants children and more children to pay for the pensions for the older generation. Also it will take a few generations.
I am sure that a lot of people +60 can work full time, part time, now and then for many years and still have time to enjoy life.
When I said we can hardly lessen the population - I meant just getting rid of a great amount within a very short time.
Frugal1

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 07:02 am

Like I said, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to
Reduce the Effect of Climate Change now or in the Future
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 09:23 am
@Frugal1,
Einstein speaks. Unfortunately he cant find a relevant cartoon to clip so he has to type out in flaming prose.

Frugal1

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 10:17 am
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/62cgE3D3O6k/hqdefault.jpg
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:41 am
@saab,
No insult was meant to you Saab. I think we may be looking at different time frames as far as what is a short time. Certainly not the current living population.

As far as working, I question the need for people having to work so many hours and years of our lives. With the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, invention of being able to simulate day 24 hours a day, we've fallen into a trap which honestly, I have no idea how to get out of.
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:42 am
@farmerman,
Farmer, I'd be interested in what you have to say.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:11 pm
@saab,
Many people continue to work beyond the "normal" age of retirement; some by choice, and some out of necessity. I also believe social security and unemployment insurance are good programs in many countries.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:20 pm
@chai2,
It is amazing what is going for working people.
Not too long ago people worked hard and everyday except sunday - no vacation.
More and more - at least in Europe - we got regulated working hours and so much vacation. Still families could often live on one income. Sundays off.
Now people work on Sundays, have to be available 24/7 and to support a family two must work.
Even though more and more electronics is used instead of people - the industry needs workers. What for?
I do not think that +60 should have to work. But it should be possible to work if you want to. My husbond wanted to work after 65. For that he would have had to ask for permission three years before retirement. It took the bureucrats two years to answer and that they would not be able to decide within the next couple of years.
my cousin who is an introvert found out that they needed a mailman for delivering mail by car a couple of times a week. He took it as that is was just him.
Look at how many work - musiscians, artists, psychologist, theologians, politicians.
There is a difference in wanting to work and being forced to work.
It is a shame to waste experience and energy which many +60 have.
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:53 pm
@chai2,
As they say about Science
"Science is a discipline pursued with passion
Art is a passion pursued with dicipline"

I am now 66 and I still love to work my craft. If I coulnt play with my geology, Id hve a life a little less interesting.
I now hve as much time as I need for everything I wish to do, Im at no financial distress where I MUST WORK TO CARE FOR MY FAMILY.

Ive got ENOUGH , so whatever I do in my craft is done (often) pro bono , or just to pay my expenses.

I like to trqvel as a citizen of the country, not a tourist. Tourists dont get to see grit an the grime of cities like Detroit or Philly or Buffalo. Citizens get to know the grit and this can more appreciate the golden sites more.

Nuff said.

Ive never looked at my craft as "Vitam es laborum" (papal incyclical meaning "Life is a job" (as preached by father Guido Sarduchi (Do you remember him?)

I have my science craft as a hobby also. Ive just finished my intro geology text that Ive been working on for 4 yers and Ive still got to make some new changes for my publishers request because the science and technology has advanced. This intro text will be only produced as a wifi on-line text and will be among a new generation of texts that are used and will continue being updated by contract as science advances. The reason is that we will soon create text books as "variora" (which means that several editions of the same book will evolve through time and the changes will be highlighted and explained WHY DID I MAKE SUCH A CHANGE)
Im excited to be a small part of this whole thingum -q-bobbly, because I was the one who got the publisher interested in even following up on this "variorum idea"
(HE thought money wise because , every edition will mean more money for him , and the author too)
I was told by the author of Blackhawk Down.
"We were told to write movies that last no more than 2 hours anymore because it means that we get to show the movie 8 times a day instead of 6)=butts in the seats =more income .

This variorum idea , to me, makes a student develop a mind open to the history of the science , a"corporate memory" so to speak (Something in which I see many of my students so woefully lacking .
I dont know whether I sound engaged in my craft , but let me tell you, I am. So how and the hell would I ask myself to retire from it when it gives me so much satisfaction nd even makes me feel that Im giving something back.
Picasso didnt retire, nor did ELmore Leonard, Steinbeck kept writing to the end qnd Stephen King is older thn me nd hes turning out some really good stuff of late.
SO< I hope I made some sense.

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:55 pm
@Frugal1,
I used to be a climate denier until fairly recently. It took a boatload of various data and evidence to convince me that the deniers are a bunch of lunkheads who couldnt tell climate from climax