Why do people deny evolution?

JimmyJ

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 02:42 am
Before you even try please note that this question is not to debate the validity of evolution. Regardless of whether or not you want to believe in it it's pretty much been solidified by hundreds of years of scientific research and evidence. It's basically impossible to teach Biology without it.

I DO want to hear from people who don't "believe" in it, though. I want to know what your reasoning is. The evidence pretty much speaks for itself, so why do you deny it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 132 • Views: 538,116 • Replies: 12,685
Topic Closed

Lordyaswas

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:14 am
@JimmyJ,
I would hazard a guess that it is something to do with hard and fast ideaology being crammed into the brain at a very young age, then not having the type of brain that questions the brainwashing when scientific facts are presented at a later date.
There are questioning and unquestioning people out there. If you successfully programme an unquestioning brain early enough, then chances are you will never ever change their minds later on.

Take gunga as a classic example....

The same can't be said for someone with a questioning brain. They can be de-programmed......IF they wish it.
JimmyJ

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 04:02 am
@Lordyaswas,
I agree.

Most of the atheists I know were brought up Christian, but none of the christians I know were brought up atheist.
edgarblythe

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 06:25 am
Many religious equate evolution with atheism. They can't accept atheism and so they find themselves rejecting good science. That one can accept both deism and evolution does not affect their perception.
Setanta

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:07 am
Why do people deny evolution?

Just to piss you off.
Frank Apisa

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:39 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Many religious equate evolution with atheism. They can't accept atheism and so they find themselves rejecting good science. That one can accept both deism and evolution does not affect their perception.

Wow, Edgar. I loved that! They are not mutually exclusive.

jespah

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yep, they are not mutually exclusive.

A bill of goods is being sold to people that they must, must, must be one or the other. And that's bull hockey.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:33 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
I DO want to hear from people who don't "believe" in it, though. I want to know what your reasoning is.

I think you will find that most of them don't use reasoning to arrive at their conclusions. But I will let them speak for themselves.

I for one, don't mind so much if people choose to believe something without having good evidence for it. I don't mind exploring that with them (although very few of them like to explore). But I find it very annoying when they use poor/invalid/false reasoning as their basis and then try to use pseudoscience and inanity to try to support their conclusions.

Unfortunately, in my experience, and in the history recorded here on A2K (over a decade of it), it is very very obvious that most of the people who deny evolution do not understand it even in a rudimentary fashion. They have been taught false concepts and will recite them freely and frequently for everyone to hear.
chai2

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:45 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

it is very very obvious that most of the people who deny evolution do not understand it even in a rudimentary fashion.

True dat.
Foofie

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 01:50 pm
I would hazard a guess that in some parts of the U.S. it maintains the hegemony of the main demographic, so those of other beliefs (aka, other demographics) will not want to move there, and muss up the enjoyment of a homogeneous county/region/state. While urban America has "changing neighborhoods," small town America can avoid an influx of different folk, just by believing in the disproven beliefs, or even preposterous beliefs (i.e., believers in being "Raptured up").

This is a sociological explanation and would not even be in the consciousness of current residents of any of the regions that have a predominant population of believers in "intelligent design" or other non-evolutionary concepts.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 06:58 pm
@JimmyJ,
So Jimmy you want people who don't "believe" in evolution to tell you why without questioning the validity of the theory.

A neat trick if they can do it.

More likely you have a fantasy that they will respond thusly:

"We're just idiots Jimmy, but thanks for making us realize it!"

BTW, I "believe" in evolution, but I think you are a pompous clown.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 06:59 pm
@JimmyJ,
More universe by Jimmy.

Jimmy doesn't know a Christian who was once an atheist and therefore they don't exist.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nonsense
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What I mean by that is I don't want to have an argument with someone who doesn't know anything about evolution about whether or not it is true. I want to know why they don't think it's true. Surely most creationists know that they don't know anything about evolution or biology. I want to know the REAL reasons why they reject it.

And you can think I'm whatever you want. That doesn't change the question.
JimmyJ

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nowhere did I say that they don't exist. I simply said that I don't know of any (which is interesting because I know a lot of christians and a lot of atheists).
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:37 pm
@JimmyJ,
I'm sorry Jimmy but obviously you can't see the flaw in your premise (aka your question).

You seem to be suggesting (and I use "seem" charitably) that anyone who knows "anything" about evolutionary theory must accept it.

So if someone who doesn't accept the theory of evolution, responds to your "question," they must demonstrate that they know "something" about the theory?

Clearly you think you've sprung a trap here in that anyone who knows something about evolutionary theory must perforce accept it. And you don't see the arrogance of this premise?

The notion that creationists don't know "anything" about evolution or biology is ridiculous. Clear, you don't know "anything" about creationists.

Your insistence on the "REAL reasons" for their rejection is a pompous demand that they acknowledge they are the idiots you think them to be.

I'm not trying to change "the" question, but simply illuminating why it is at best idiotic.

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:43 pm
@JimmyJ,
So now you are taking refuge in a literal interpretation of your words.

Obviously you don't know anywhere near enough Christians or Atheists to casually generalize as you have.

How many Christians do you know? 100? 1,000? You do know that there are billions of them don't you?

How old are you Jimmy?

I ask because I may be coming down too hard on someone who hasn't had the time or brain chemistry to formulate a reasoned position.

rosborne979

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Just out of curiosity, can you give an example of anyone on A2K (now or ever) who has demonstrated a reasonably accurate understanding of biological evolution, and yet denies that biological evolution happened (and/or is happening)?

I started this thread: http://able2know.org/topic/74146-1 back in 2006 and never found any Creationists on A2K who could demonstrate a reasonable understanding of biological evolution.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:55 pm
@rosborne979,
Spendious

You couldn't find anyone who could demonstrate a reasonable understanding of biological evolution because (like Jimmy) you believe that any understanding of the theory must be accompanied by acceptance.

If you and Jimmy think that only the ignorant or demented can disavow the theory of evolution why do you insist on engaging in discussions with morons?

I say these things as someone who fully accepts the theory of evolution, but is not about to brand everyone who does not as an idiot.
rosborne979

Mon 16 Dec, 2013 08:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
You couldn't find anyone who could demonstrate a reasonable understanding of biological evolution because (like Jimmy) you believe that any understanding of the theory must be accompanied by acceptance.

I asked you an honest and simple question without any strings attached and this is the best you can do; jump to inaccurate conclusions about what I think about something. I expected better from you.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you and Jimmy think that only the ignorant or demented can disavow the theory of evolution why do you insist on engaging in discussions with morons?

I can't speak for Jimmy, I only know how I feel about things, and I'm still open to hearing the opinions of someone who both understands evolution and doesn't accept it. I just haven't found anyone like that on A2K yet.