What I can do to Reduce the Effect of Climate Change in the Future

Frugal1

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Like I said, make whatever changes / improvements you want in your life, but DO NOT force others to agree with you, or do as you have done.

My new place is ideally suited for wind & solar, the hardware is becoming more affordable, and if the government would butt out, and let the free market do it's thing - the hardware will become very affordable.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 04:19 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

People are funny about being green though. For example, a person who drives an electric car thinks they are helping the environment but they neglect to realize where that electricity came from. The US produces a majority of its electrical power from coal plants. These are the most heavily polluting industries. So no they are not green at all. All they did was shift pollution type. Instead of fissile fuel from gas emittions they switched to carbon burning which is worse. Not only that but coal plants release mercury into the environment which poisons fish and anything eating those fish.

I would say so much "funny" about being green, as willfully ignorant.

Me for instance. I did a year ago buy a hybrid, a Prius. I am aware of the mining of the nickel, etc. However, I factored in that I keep my cars around 3 times longer than the average person. In fact, this might actually be the last car I ever buy. I looked out long term in this purchase. That, factored in the the small amount of gas I'm using, and personal savings, caused me to decide this was the best choice for me, and the planet. I also balanced this in with the fact that I have no intention in the foreseeable future of getting a new cell phone, which is also damaging in it's production, of ever getting an ipad, or any other purcahses of that type, and added that into the equation. I tend to walk pretty lightly on the planet.

A lot of people simply don't think about a lot of stuff, as far as their impact.

For instance, a few years ago my city banned single use plastic bags. That's great. However, so many people lost their minds running around making sure they had complete matching sets of cloth bags, which retailers were selling at a pretty penny. Me? I'm still using the ones (and will be for many years) the free ones they were giving away everywhere in the months before the start of the ban...including one I got for getting my colonoscopy. I have enough of them, and no more. Sure they were manufactured as well, but at a significantly less environmental impact than ones produced so one could appear stylish when buying cottage cheese.

Oh God, here's a good one. I had to go to a Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday. I saw this...

http://pawpods.com/

An "environmental friendly" bamboo and rice husk casket for a goldfish, bird, other pet.

God forbid the pet decompose naturally underground and feed a multitude of other life forms. Let's gear up production and use whatever machines, fuels, materials, that somehow aren't discussed in their marketing.

I saw this at the store, and my jaw dropped. A young couple were walking by, and I laughingly showed it to them. The woman looked at me, and then looked up in the most puzzled way..."But it says environmentally friendly"

Jesus Wept.

0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 09:16 am
@RyanO45,
3. What do you-think (-hope)--will happen in the future?

A. Find a way to put electrons in a box and move them from one place to another.

B. Discover a way to make batteries without lead or carbon.

C. Admit defeat in Hydrogen fuel adaption and work on controlling the 17,970 tons of spent Nuclear fuel rods in America -and pray nothing goes wrong in the meantime.

As far as A is concerned: 3-4 decades away.

A far as B is concerned: 10-30 years away.

Just because something looks cute on a power point slide will not make produce anything usable.

0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:32 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0MeJkJXgAAfWpI.jpg:large
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 12:33 pm

Global Warming? Snow Falls in Sahara Desert for First Time in Almost 4 Decades

http://www.tmn.today/files/2016/12/2016.12.21-05.19-tellmenow-585ab9afba9e9-800x533.png
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 12:49 pm
@Frugal1,
the maximum amount of moisture in the atmosphere increases exponentially with temperature , or for you non-opposible thumb types, the warmer the atmosphere, the more moisture the air can hold and thus, the more potential for precipitation.Snow is what? precipitation!
'Jever hear the term "its too cold to snow"?

Notice how we seem to be getting these heavier snowfalls in the snow-belts and areas that receive little snow are now getting some?
Its because of the additional moisture in the air brought about by what? Warmer temperatures.
Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 01:02 pm
@farmerman,
Dry air = less precipitation
Moist air = more precipitation
The temperature determines what form the precipitation appears as.
Liquid, frozen, or a mixture.

It's not difficult
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 01:28 pm
@farmerman,
How about this?
https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/snow/science/formation.html
Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:28 pm
Lawrence Solomon: Proof that a new ice age has already started is stronger than ever, and we couldn’t be less prepared
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:42 pm
@Frugal1,
Until earlier this year I too was a "humans arent measurably affecting the warming climate" scientist. I now believe the data is much too convincing in favor . Solomon has been a "cherry picking quote miner" for a lot of his writing.

PA, Solomon has rovided NO PROOF. Its all speculative writing.
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:45 pm
@Frugal1,
Quote:
Dry air = less precipitation
Moist air = more precipitation
The temperature determines what form the precipitation appears as.
Liquid, frozen, or a mixture.

It's not difficult
I think Ive explained it pretty clearly. If youre unable to understand or wish to take it on your clueless worldview, be my guest.

Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:48 pm
@farmerman,

There is no proof humans are measurably affecting the climate.

0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, I was sure you need the situation simplified.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
that clip of yours doesnt really explain anything to the Fuggl's.He insists that its evidence against GW when it snowed in the Sahara desert. He wants things simple and cartoonish.

Heres a series from SCience Skeptic
Quote:
To claim that record snowfall is inconsistent with a warming world betrays a lack of understanding of the link between global warming and extreme precipitation. Warming causes more moisture in the air which leads to more extreme precipitation events. This includes more heavy snowstorms in regions where snowfall conditions are favourable. Far from contradicting global warming, record snowfall is predicted by climate models and consistent with our expectation of more extreme precipitation events.

Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 04:08 pm
@farmerman,
There is nothing that supports anyone's claim that human activity causes changes in the climate.
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 05:28 pm
@Frugal1,
I once thought the same. However, the amount of circumstantial evidence is as strong as for any working hypothesis and its approaching theory status.

Almost all scientific evidence is circumstantial, however Climate is showing us its changes in several recent genertions.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 06:31 pm
I'm sure there is an element of human contribution to climate change. I don't know how much.

But if it is a significant problem:
More babies and Chinese & Indian poor people wanting a taste of the good life are the biggest contributors to the problem in the future.

So what are ya gonna do
Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 06:56 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
More babies and Chinese & Indian poor people wanting a taste of the good life are the biggest contributors to the problem in the future.

Overpopulation is a real global threat.

Overpopulating in your own country with your own people is one thing, but allowing your problem to freely spill into another country is tantamount to an invasion of another country.

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 11:08 pm
@Frugal1,
Quote:
There is nothing that supports anyone's claim that human activity causes changes in the climate.

Look, Frug. I'm no scientist but even I can understand this much.

1) Carbon dioxide resists the transmission of infrared radiation. It reflects heat. This can be demonstrated in a laboratory.

2) The suns radiation consists of a wide range of wavelengths. The light (visible and invisible) pass through the atmosphere and hit the ground. When the radiation hits the ground it is converted to heat. This heat then radiates upward into the atmosphere. If the atmosphere reflects the heat, the heat will be trapped near the ground. (that's why cloudy nights are warmer than clear nights).

3) The amount (expressed as a percentage) of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere has been slowly increasing ever since the end of the last ice age, very slowly. About 150 years ago the increase has sped up dramatically. This has been demonstrated by analyzing samples of atmosphere trapped as bubbles in glacier ice from various points in history and pre history.

Now think about what has been happening in the world over the past 150 years. deforestation and rapid increases in the amounts of fossil fuels being burned.
And if you want more evidence of climate change, just look at what the insurance companies are doing regarding properties near any coast or large body of water.
I think even you can put two and two together and get four, despite your Uncle Donny telling you it's only three.
Frugal1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 11:22 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I'm not buying this climate fraud, and I stand by my comment.

Common sense denialists be damned.