Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:42 am
@roger,
You say so much with so few words. I like that
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:42 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Right away we should stop subsidizing costal development with federally subsidized flood insurance (why did we ever have it?).

this needed to happen decades ago - 60 minutes covered it yonks agao - I remember people talking about it when I was in my teens
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:43 am
Liberal progressive democrats are the type of people that always adopt
a policy of genocide... we are extremely fortunate HRC did not get elected.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:45 am
@MontereyJack,
Yep, in order to do that, the insurance industry came up with an idea of "Excess coverage" after paying ONCE. It was felt that, with a constant drain of someones wallet by not keeping up these FEMA subsidized flood insurances , everyone would be glad to move back from the bech. Im hoping that gets in plqce with a "look-bqck" provision where existing homes get coverage only once at txpqyers ewxpense.

Its fuckin amazing how many of these "Free Market" whiners still count on big govt subsidies for qn entire industry
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:48 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We can stall an inevitable sea level rise

How exactly?

We have no control over any of this, but the stupid & ignorant believe we do.
The planet decides what the climate will be, not its inhabitants.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:48 am
@Leadfoot,
No.tech advances in last few years led to at least a 75 percent drop in cost. Check out what china is doong in cheap solar kits for the billion plus who are not and never will be on the ggrid.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:50 am
@Frugal1,
That is just stupid and flatly false.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:53 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Are these incredibly cheap solar panels on my roof just the result of Chinese subsidies and prolusion there or what.
Ill bet a shot of LaFroig thats the case. When we stopped our own subsidies of the solar industry, the Germans qnd Chinese took it all away from us and developed some neat technologies (like flexible solar pqnels, self cleaning, non grid systems for rural barns0 LED /solar lighting ystems that replace these huge banks of flourescent tubes)
Its amazing what weve come up with in 4 or 5 years.

I just bought a new generation of Li/S batteries for my Milwaukee F_U_E_L tools. They last like 2 hours. (I think that these are mostly experimental and available to he Amish builders)
I think LiS batteries will make a 500 mi range Tesla SUV ( if it works Ill be in the market for one of them babies)
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:53 am
@Frugal1,
This post also is stupid and flatly false.
Frugal1

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:56 am
@MontereyJack,
No, it's totally true - 100% fact.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:56 am
@MontereyJack,
Fuggl is kinda dim, I only see him qhen someone else quotes his inane posts.

Ive chosen to free myself of reading all stupidity, so Im starting with Fuggl
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:58 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm well aware of the low cost and the benefits to all those 'off grid people'. What I was wondering was how much carbon was released in their manufacture.

Is it like the bitcoin miners in Venezuela? (Their currency is worth less than toilet paper.) They are making lots of real money (in bitcoin) doing it only because the price of electricity is government controlled at almost zero cost to the user. Socialized governments always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:59 am
@farmerman,
The new solar panels are amazing. My best friend (a lighthouse thread poster) had them put on the farmhouse and both barns. It took about six months to get things just right - now they're selling power back to the grid (from Eastern Ontario, not exactly sun-central) and in less than two years they earned back everything they'd paid for the panels and installation. I particularly love that the solar panels run the air conditioning system on that big old limestone farmhouse.
Frugal1

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
The new panels are great... everybody that can afford them should have them, but the government need not subsidize their use.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:02 am
@Leadfoot,
I dont have the know-how but , some electrically savvy person can calc how many KW-hrs exist in the life of a Solar charged LiS battery bank and where does a payback schedule predict that it overarcs a oal fired generator. (grid system)

We make the solar cells and rechargeble batteries ONCE, we use them through X number of charge sequences. Whats the pyback and when does it kick in???
I dunno.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:08 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I particularly love that the solar panels run the air conditioning system on that big old limestone farmhouse.

I still get a kick out of watching my meter run backwards, even though after the power company spotted my negative use of KWH, they stopped paying me for them. And still charge the customers that are using them full price.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:10 am
@Leadfoot,
They don't pay you? that's a rip-off.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:10 am
@ehBeth,
We have a grid system that is coupled with a gas generator and weve gone to total LED lights in the studio and barns. (Except for banks of Fluorescent lights)
Ive asked an electrician to quote me a new LED series of panels that cn operate off a NON grid system. That way Im not hooked to the grid at all

The problems with a grid system is thqt (qt least in Pa) we must shut down during a grid power outage (storms or auto accidents into a power station (That way the repair linemen are protected from blow-back of electricity into the power lines from a still operating solar or wind system.
The gas generator preserves against this by not kicking on until ALL grid separation is made from all systems.

It gets a bit complicated but Ill bet your friend is similarly hooked up.
(Hes probably got all the power he needs until a snowstorm knocks out the grid then all renewables get shut off too)
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:11 am
My new place will have solar panels & small wind turbines, my plan is to go off the grid, but only as I can afford to do so. No government assistance required, or wanted.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:23 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
that's a rip-off.

I agree, even though the payment was only credit against my normal bill they are allowed to not pay under the current regulation rules.

There was a Florida constitutional ballot initiative on the ballot this election that would have enshrined this horrible rule forever. It was sponsored by the power companies under a BS named "Floridians for Solar Choice". Over half the brain dead voters voted for it but fortunately it takes like 75% to pass a constitutional change, so it failed.
0 Replies