Was the president wired during both debates?

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:11 am
BrandX wrote:
Turns out the lump is a spine...something that will not show up on Girlie Man Kerry.

That kind of mischaracterisation works well when the public can't see for themselves that Kerry has plenty of spine. That is why he does better in the polls with every debate. That sound you hear is the sound of blinders flipping off of the American eyeball.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:16 am
photo
http://humpbackbush.ytmnd.com/
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:16 pm
Wow! That ain't no little microphone...unless the photo has been doctored.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
I didn't think it was little either, if you're looking at the large pictures on the democrats.com site.
And bbb explained somewhere that she had tried at length to find the source and that it was from a certain frame or two from the Fox videotaping.. not a contrived photo job, apparently.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:52 pm
Somewhere, in one of the posts above, it has been stated that it appears clearly at, I believe, minute 23 of the Fox videotape.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:03 pm
I think I should add that while I am a democrat, I don't like the win or loss of the white house to hang on coaching boosts, should that be what the box like shape is, and if that matters to the voting public. Naturally, I would be/am appalled, but I'd rather the vote be on policies.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
well wouldn't it be bad policy to cheat and use subterfuge to gain an advantage?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:20 pm
Laughing You guys are a riot! Next time you're out, stop at Target and you'll find an FM receiver the size of a quarter that runs a month off a single watch battery for $20. Do you suppose the Secret Service might do better or worse? And who in their right mind would hide it high up on the man's back? Laughing And most compelling of all; did you all forget that he sounded like an ill-informed idiot throughout most of that debate? Laughing

Don't make me start sending out new hats for everyone.

http://www.foutz.net/blog/images/tinFoilHat.gif
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:22 pm
When Bill takes his hat off....mold
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:09 pm
Well, that's what's so depressing, even with help...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:29 am
Tonight you can bet there will be no lump, and you can also bet that frequency scanners will be humming up and down the spectrums.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:41 am
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/13/transmitter/index.html

Technical expert: Bush was wired
A Bush spokesman tells Salon there is nothing to the story. But as the final presidential debate looms, speculation grows about the mysterious bulge.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Dave Lindorff

Oct. 13, 2004 | Speculation continues to run wild about President Bush's mystery bulge. Since Friday, when Salon first raised questions about the rectangular bulge that was visible under Bush's suit coat during the presidential debates, many observers in the press and on the Internet have wondered aloud whether the verbally and factually challenged president might be receiving coaching via a hidden electronic device.

Now a technical expert who designs and makes such devices for the U.S. military and private industry tells Salon that he believes the bulge is indeed a transceiver designed to receive electronic signals and transmit them to a hidden earpiece lodged in Bush's ear canal.

"There's no question about it. It's a pretty obvious one -- larger than most because it probably has descrambling capability," said Alex Darbut, technical and business development vice president for Resistance Technology in Arden Hills, Minn. Darbut examined photographs of the president's back taken from the Fox News video feed at the first presidential debate in Coral Gables, Fla., as well as 2002 photos of the president driving and working in a T-shirt on his Crawford ranch, which were posted on the White House Web site.

Darbut speculates that the device the president wears is provided by the Secret Service, noting, "They're not going to have him driving around the countryside on his ranch without being in instant contact with him."

No one in the White House or Bush campaign, however, has offered such an explanation. In fact, the Bush camp has shed little light on the mysterious protuberance, turning aside questions with dismissive humor or rising tones of exasperation. The president is "a regular guy," White House chief of staff Andy Card told Salon's Tim Grieve before the second debate last week. "Maybe his suit had a little lump in it or something." Campaign spokeswoman Nicolle Devenish took the same line with the New York Times on Saturday: "It was most likely a rumpling of that portion of his suit jacket, or a wrinkle in the fabric." But Devenish, the Times dryly noted, "could not say why the 'rumpling' was rectangular." Campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel brushed aside a questioner in a Washington Post chat session by saying, "I think you've been spending a little too much time on conspiracy Web sites."

On Tuesday, in response to repeated questions from Salon, the Bush camp finally issued a flat denial. Campaign spokesman Reed Dickens denied that Bush has ever used an electronic device to aid his public speaking, insisting the president was wearing "nothing during the debates." When asked about the pictures taken at the Bush ranch, Dickens said the president has never used any devices except for cutting tools and earplugs to protect his ears from the high-decibel chainsaw. Nor has the Secret Service outfitted Bush with a hidden communications device, according to Dickens: "He doesn't need something like that because the Secret Service is always with him. They ride in the truck in the back. Wherever he goes, they're with him."

Despite the official denials, the bulge brouhaha is still ballooning. On Tuesday, the New York Daily News produced a master tailor named Frank Shattuck who, after viewing photos from both debates, confirmed, "There's definitely something there, in between the shoulder blades. I can't say what it is, but it's not hidden very well. They should have come to me. I can hide a pistol under the breast."

In Orlando, Florida, TV station WFTV polled its viewers, asking, "Do you believe the accusations that President George W. Bush was wired during the presidential debate?" Of 35,000 respondents, only 42 percent answered no, while 36 percent replied yes, and 22 percent said possibly.

Meanwhile, blogs, chat rooms, bulletin boards -- and Salon's letters pages -- continue to buzz with discussion about Bush's possible electronic enhancement. Reports are flying around the Web about earlier televised events where audio glitches allegedly permitted TV viewers to hear someone directing what Bush to say, including his public remarks at the Sea Island G-8 summit meeting in June, his D-day anniversary speech in France, and a New York speech following 9/11.

One thing is certain: During the final presidential debate in Tempe, Ariz., on Wednesday night, all eyes will be on Bush's back.

For the record, I think the image from the first debate was more clearly a device, and I'm not convinced he was wired in the second.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:55 am
Larger than most because it probably has descrambling...

I wondered why, if true, they would use one so large and obvious. That was what I couldn't grasp. With todays technology, it certainly seems like they would use one both smaller and that would fit into a more inconspicuous location. Certainly such technology, with descrambling is available. Look at the size of hidden video cameras.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:24 am
I think IF this turns out to be true, whomever is feeding Bush his lines is being careful to sound like Bush. They'd want him to do well but not too well.

Every morning I expect to find that this has been debunked, and every morning I'm surprised that the White House has managed to make it look more credible. It's SOMETHING -- just, what? Flat-out denying that it's anything at all is more suspicious.

From the Salon article (thanks, FreeDuck):

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/13/transmitter/story.jpg

What's that under his t-shirt?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
Darbut speculates that the device the president wears is provided by the Secret Service, noting, "They're not going to have him driving around the countryside on his ranch without being in instant contact with him."

This seems plausible and I can see why the White House wouldn't comment
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
It seems plausible, I agree, that's why I expect the White House comment. "We just want to have contact with him while he's driving around the ranch." Ah, of course, that makes sense. Moving on...

But no, they say:

Quote:
Dickens said the president has never used any devices except for cutting tools and earplugs to protect his ears from the high-decibel chainsaw. Nor has the Secret Service outfitted Bush with a hidden communications device, according to Dickens: "He doesn't need something like that because the Secret Service is always with him. They ride in the truck in the back. Wherever he goes, they're with him."

:-?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
If he was indeed wired the person feeding him the lines was at least as big an idiot as he. In any event they should pat the clown down prior to tonights debate. That would move the lump in his back to the lump in his head. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
I'm thinking the likely explanation is that ones stature is quite different when being fitted for a $2000 suit,(standing tall and proud) than when carrying the weight of your failed presidency on your shoulders. (confrontation, slouching)

So maybe it was a wrinkle. Maybe he will become a wrinkle in time, himself.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:16 am
squinney
He does not think it's failed. Remember he can not think of anything done wrong or any mistake he has made. Bush has what is commonly called a clear head to go with his empty one.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
I'm gonna hazard a guess that that's just his shoulder blade under his t-shirt. Maybe I'm blind, but it's really hard to tell from the picture angle.
0 Replies