Was the president wired during both debates?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
I listened. Unless it's a cleverly doctored tape, it shows Bush for as much of a puppet as I had always speculated.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:02 pm
It's bizarre to watch and fits right in with my theory of his suddenly disappearing malaprop problem.

Joe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
The photos on democrats.com are pretty convincing.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
What I find funny, is the fact that you guys are talking about Bush being wired for the first debate, which he lost. Does that make any sense?

I would think having a wire would have made him a winner, because he didn't have to think for himself. If Bush were as big an idiot as you guys say, then wouldn't this provide him with and edge?

I know why this story has come out, there were reports of Kerry pulling something out of his pocket in the first debate when they were to bring nothing with them. Do we know what it was that he pulled out? No because the supposed wire story has pulled off suspicion off of Kerry. We know he pulled something out of his pocket, what was it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:28 pm
If he's dumb enough, a wire can't always save him. It does show how desperate and pathetic he is.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
If he's dumb enough, a wire can't always save him. It does show how desperate and pathetic he is.

It shows how pathetic and desperate the democrats are to push a BS story.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:49 pm
The democrats are desperate. ha ha ha ha ha..... It seems the repubs are not watching the debates or the polls. The russians are coming.... ha ha ha
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:31 pm
BBB
The object on the tape re Kerry was the pen provided by the election commission. Kerry mistakenly put it in his pocket after writing with it, just repeating a habit most people have. He didn't bring his own pen to the debate.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:18 am
Bush's Interpreter Says Bush Uses Earpiece
EXCLUSIVE! Bush's Interpreter Says Bush Uses Earpiece
Sunday October 10, 2004 1:46 AM
Bob Fertik

[Editor's Note: I received a copy of the e-mail below on Friday, and requested (and received) permission to publish it. I found independent confirmation that Fred Burks worked as an interpreter for George W. Bush comes in an article in the Los Angeles Times in January 2004.]

As a deep insider myself, I have independent confirmation of President Bush using an earpiece to assist him in communicating intelligently with others. I've worked as a contract Indonesian language interpreter with the US State Department for over 18 years. I first started interpreting at the presidential level in 1995 at a White House meeting for President Clinton and President Suharto of Indonesia with their top advisors. You can read a short story of the many small miracles that led me to interpret for presidents at www.gcforall.org/inspirations (scroll down to Issue #1, where it is the second story).

On September 19, 2001, just eight days after 9/11, I was in the White House interpreting for an important 90-minute meeting between President Bush and President Megawati Soekarnoputri of Indonesia. This meeting made national news on all the TV networks, as at the time, the administration wanted to show they were supportive of our Muslim friends. Indonesia has the largest population of Muslims in the world. Over 80% of Indonesia's 220 million people are Muslim.

This was my first time interpreting for Bush. The previous day, I had been given the 22 points Bush would be covering in this meeting in order to familiarize myself with the topics to be discussed. About half of these "talking points" had to do with terrorism, which was to be fully expected given what had just happened. The other points, however, involved many details of Indonesian politics which even I would have had a tough time addressing, let alone Bush, who I assumed had limited knowledge of Indonesia.

During those 90 minutes, President Bush not only covered all the points, he covered them quite well and without any notes! Not once during the entire meeting did he look at any notes or receive cues from anyone present in discussing the Indonesian political situation with depth and intelligence. I was astonished! "How could this be?" I asked myself. It was a huge surprise. I concluded either that Bush was much more intelligent than we had been led to believe, or that somehow someone was feeding answers to him through a hidden earpiece. At the time, I really didn't know which of these was true.

Having worked directly with President Bush twice since then, and having additionally talked with many of my fellow interpreters who have worked directly with him, I am now certain that he could not have had that much knowledge of Indonesia. He doesn't even read the daily newspaper to keep up with what's being reported in the press. I am convinced that he must have been using some sort of earpiece through which someone was telling him what to say.

Having interpreted for media guests touring large TV studios, I've seen how the news anchors all have hidden earphones, and how the news producers are feeding them all sorts of information even as they talk live on TV. "20 seconds to a commercial," "15 seconds of filler here," "wrap it up quick " etc... This is standard practice for live TV shows. The "let me finish" comment made by Bush in the debate was only confirmation of something I already knew.

I will also mention that a number of months ago a colleague of mine was in the room with President Bush and his advisors when Bush threw a full blown temper tantrum filled with foul language and all. He ranted and raved at his advisors for a number of minutes to the shock and dismay of my colleague who was standing unseen in the refreshment corner. When he finally finished blowing off steam, Bush turned towards the refreshment table only to see my colleague standing there. He instantly switched into his "good ol' boy" friendly demeanor and said, "Hey, how ya doin' buddy?"

Politics is not a pretty business. I have many stories from my experiences interpreting at international conferences and secret meetings attended only our leaders and their interpreters. I have seen a number of our world's leaders (not just Americans) acting like high school boys playing power games. But for now, I just wanted to confirm my own strong belief that President Bush is often fed what he is supposed to say at important events. Though he can truly be a friendly guy, I have not found him to be particularly bright or competent. To be fair, I must admit that I tend to be of a more liberal persuasion, but I thought you all would appreciate knowing some of what goes on behind the scenes. You take care and have a great day!

With best wishes, Fred

PS Though I am still on contract with the State Department, I greatly reduced my work with them two years ago. I saw how important it was for me to devote my time to getting the word out through the websites I manage, and through email lists like this.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:27 am
Breaking news! A photo of the guy feeding Bush his lines!

http://www.qsl.net/kc2ufo/5.jpg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
If Bush was wired, he'd better find someone who can do a better job feeding him his lines before the next debate. He still sounded lost in space half the time....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Yeah, and then there's Kerry.

"I have a plan. I have a plan. I don't have a clue, but I have a plan!"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:42 am
It sounded to me like he had a clue.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
cjhsa wrote:
Yeah, and then there's Kerry.

"I have a plan. I have a plan. I don't have a clue, but I have a plan!"

I think the bulge was a body vest bomb set to go off if Kerry said "I have a plan" more than 20 times. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:57 am
I don't get why the white house people denied that there was anything. I'd assumed that it was just how he was miked. I had some reality show on while I read this the first time -- "For Better or For Worse", I think -- and the hostess gal had a red dress on and when she turned around she had an identical rectangular bulge under it.

OH -- brainflash -- was SHE being fed her lines? I assumed it was outgoing. But maybe that was the "15 seconds left" kinda thing.

"Let me finish" was weird, yeah.

OK, I'd assumed this was bunk but now I'm allowing for the possibility that maybe it's not. Weird!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:08 pm
I don't know, of course.

But the large photos on democrats.com are kind of amazing. If it was just a microphone, then why all the denial involving comments about a wrinkle in the suit?

And... the condition agreed to pre debates, pushed by the Bush side, that there be no camera shots from the back, which Fox in doing the video didn't pay attention to.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:12 pm
The president was wired, but not in the way you think.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:03 am
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:05 am
Turns out the lump is a spine...something that will not show up on Girlie Man Kerry.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
RoboBush
RoboBush
by Tony Peyser
Oct. 12, 2004

The "internets" lately are full of
This rather deafening racket
About that odd, rectangular bulge
Lurking under Bush's jacket.

These pictures made many a skeptic