Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:33 pm
(Ooops!
"Innuendo"!)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:22 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Could you handle that, youngster?

I'm no spring chicken myself and I have problems with my back which limit some kinds of things. Nonetheless I can still get six or seven clean curls with 50 lbs on either side of a curling bar, I still use bows heavy enough to drive arrows through wild pigs and I can still serve tenns balls over 100 mph. Golf, maybe when I get to my 70s...

Again, the avatar simply struck me as the sort of thing I'd expect from a nudist colony or some such...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:44 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Could you handle that, youngster?

I'm no spring chicken myself and I have problems with my back which limit some kinds of things. Nonetheless I can still get six or seven clean curls with 50 lbs on either side of a curling bar, I still use bows heavy enough to drive arrows through wild pigs and I can still serve tenns balls over 100 mph. Golf, maybe when I get to my 70s...

Again, the avatar simply struck me as the sort of thing I'd expect from a nudist colony or some such...

Now that's some damn fine macho posturing......very awe and admiration inspiring......
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:17 pm
I'd say Frank won the macho posturing contest hands down, delivered a knockout punch on the nudist colony suggestion ... but I'm not convinced he made his point on the "old people" portion... It was a masterful job of describing a day that would bury a lesser man of any age accept for one little, unmistakable slip that proved to be the fatal flaw in his argument:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I got up at my usual time of 4:30 am
Who get's up at 4:30 am if they don't have to? … :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:30 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'd say Frank won the macho posturing contest hands down, delivered a knockout punch on the nudist colony suggestion ... but I'm not convinced he made his point on the "old people" portion... It was a masterful job of describing a day that would bury a lesser man of any age accept for one little, unmistakable slip that proved to be the fatal flaw in his argument:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I got up at my usual time of 4:30 am
Who get's up at 4:30 am if they don't have to? … :wink:

Golfers...that's who.

Five days a week I get up to play in the first position...and twice a week I get up to be the starter for others in the first position...and for the rest of the morning.

We are a crazy lot.

It is worth noting that damn near every professional athlete spends lots of leisure time on a golf course. (Playing, of course, not being the starter.)

As for the "old"...hey, what can I say. At 68, you no longer can get away with claiming to be young. The best I can do is to claim I'm a young guy trapped in an aged body. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:52 pm
Laughing Razz Well hell old man, you probably know then that Palm Beach has more Golf Courses per capita than any other place on earth. When ya coming down?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Laughing Razz Well hell old man, you probably know then that Palm Beach has more Golf Courses per capita than any other place on earth. When ya coming down?

Who knows...I may take ya up on that.

Good to know about the golf courses....how's the ganja?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:09 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Good to know about the golf courses....how's the ganja?
Miami is 60 miles South and the Bahamas are 60 miles East. What do you think? :wink: Palm Beach is also as close to the Gulf Stream as it gets, so our weather really is as good as it gets. Think 70 in January… and only 90 in August (on the water). 300 plus golf days per year (more on your schedule). Hurricane season ends in December… and then Mother Nature reminds us why we live here. Smile

I'm told California is still king, for that other stuff, though. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
We could all meet in Myrtle Beach on Nov. 23rd for a round.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:31 pm
Are you on the pipe McG? That's half way to Franks house! Burrrrr... shiver-shiver.... I'm getting cold just thinking about it.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:05 pm
Sorry, guys, when you boast and preach the virtues of spending all your time whacking balls around, you gain the respect only of similarly-minded individuals.

Some of us DON'T see such self-indulgent juvenility as being quite as "virtuous" as you do.

Some of us haven't the time to fritter away playing with our balls all day every day.

But, hey, if it keeps you out of trouble, I have no objections... I'd just appreciate it if you'd keep your "ballplay" braggadoccio in its proper venue, instead of insisting that it spill over into everything... as it is, society has given you your own sections in the newspapers, a good chunk of the evening news, publicly subsidized golfcourses and ballfields... and all at considerable expense.

The point is, this is the POLITICS forum.

Play with your balls somewhere else, 'kay?,
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
Gotta say it... I don't really view golf as an athletic sport, more like a sort of an art form, but it has to be one of the two or three most difficult games to play that there are.

The thing I notice about Tiger Woods is this. You ask yourself what exactly makes Woods 15 points better than the rest of the field, and it isn't driving or putting. There are other guys out there who drive and put just as well as Woods. The thing which makes Woods 15 points better is the greater athleticism which allows him to make something out of all the ****ed-up shots out of grass, from behind trees, from down inside woodchuck holes etc. etc. and what that really says is that the game itself is basically so difficult that even the pros are ****ing up something like 30% of their shots. Woods is apparently the best there is at getting out of the ****-ups.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:33 am
ANOTHER "Politics" thread diverted...
CLASSIC "Bait'n'Switch".
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:51 am
C'mon Bill, It's half way for both of you!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm
Not too likely McG. My travel, especially that time of year, is usually to paradisiacal climates or the frigid unforgiving cold of the Frozen Tundra with very little in between.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:34 pm
C'est la vie. It remains a family vacation.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:40 pm
Man, I've got some great memories of Myrtle Beach
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 12:44 pm
You and me both Pan, I played the Castawys six weeks out of every season from 1978 til 1982......when the Stones played their surprise show there, Jagger and Wyman were spoted wearing Cirkus t shirts...I have more Myrtle Beach stories than I can think of in one sit down.......where did you play down there? Did you ever hang out at Socks or Afterdeck or Rockburgers after hours?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:01 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'd call it barely a tie, with a slight edge to Kerry.

Kind of like Charles VI asking how his guys did at Agincourt and a couple of the survivers saying 'Well, we sort of held our own...' or something like that.

I suspect that the Bush camp has to be feeling pretty good about seeing that sort of comment comming from all the lefties...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
I took all the money today...and I did it with an 87. My game has been in the toilet recently...so a day with enough pars to keep me under bogey golf was a blessing.

I cannot tell you how much I would enjoy playing with McG and Bill. Gotta think this out a bit more...but who knows.

Maybe it will happen.

Although considering the posts you guys have both made in the political threads...it probably should wait until quite a bit after the election.

Go Jints!!!
0 Replies