monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:05 am
Jim Rutenberg has an informative piece up today on emerging right wing threats to Fox's dominance
NYT
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:08 am
The Death of the Republic. Trump starring as Commodus, the Industrial Military Complex as the Praetorian Guard.

An important piece for anyone trying to understand the American reality. Bernie Sanders was our last hope.

http://m.truthdig.com/report/item/the_death_of_the_republic_20170521
McGentrix

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hey, knock yourself out hating conservatives. It seems to give you the reason you need for getting out of bed in the morning.

That does appear to be the case.

Well, there's also my Free-Form-Dance classes, retrofitting the local fleet of ambulances to incorporate a powered stretcher lift, and my experiments with the aim of compressing arugala into water-resistant roofing tiles.
one of those is true - we knocked off four last week
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:30 am
@Lash,
Quote:
An important piece for anyone trying to understand the American reality. Bernie Sanders was our last hope.

I say again, people born in 1940 were not expected to be living in their parents basements when they were 40 years old. Bernie Sanders is an archetypal bum, too much of a bum in fact to even make it as a hippie, getting thrown out of a hippie commune for slacking after he was thrown out of his parents basement at age 40. The guy LOOKS more like a bum than Red Skelton's old Freddy the Freeloader character;

https://www.bearfabrique.org/Misc/bumpower.jpg

Only a mental defective could talk about Benjie Sanders being our "last hope(TM)". Even halfway rational "progressives" have written the guy off and some have excoriated the guy for his conduct after the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqJfzdlvkTY&t=30s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuJbih1TAQ

McGentrix

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:35 am
@gungasnake,
Doesn't Sanders own 6 or 7 homes now? Not bad for the meager salary a US Senator makes.

He only has a $174,000 a year salary. Which is really paltry by many standards. Yet he has 6 or 7 homes? I make just a bit over 6 figures, live in a depressed economic zone and can barely sustain 1.

How does he do it?
blatham

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:41 am
From Margaret Sullivan on moves by Sinclair
Quote:
Sinclair’s TV deal would be good for Trump. And his new FCC is clearing the way.

When French voters resoundingly elected a centrist president rather than a right-leaning antiglobalist this month, one reason may have been the nation’s news media.

As a French newspaper editor commented: “We don’t have a Fox News in France.”

The United States certainly does have one. Pretty soon, it may have the equivalent of two.

Sinclair Broadcast Group has struck a deal with Tribune Media to buy dozens of local TV stations.

And what Fox News is for cable, Sinclair could become for broadcast: programming with a soupcon — or more — of conservative spin.

Already, Sinclair is the largest owner of local TV stations in the nation. If the $3.9 billion deal gets regulatory approval, Sinclair would have 7 of every 10 Americans in its potential audience.

...And Sinclair regularly sends “must-run” segments to its stations across the country. One example: an opinion piece by a Sinclair executive that echoed President Trump’s slam at the national news media and what he calls the “fake news” they produce.
WP
This is important, guys.
gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:42 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
How does he do it?

Graft, bribery, gangsterism, machine politics....
McGentrix

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:45 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
How does he do it?

Graft, bribery, gangsterism, machine politics....

The white knight on the hill?! Say it ain't true!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:45 am
@McGentrix,
There is also the possibility of some of those houses becoming economically self-sustaining...
https://scottthompsononline.com/wp-content/gallery/best-little-whorehouse/whorehouse-1.jpg
McGentrix

Mon 22 May, 2017 06:50 am
@gungasnake,
Wow. I had to sit here and figure that reference out. Nice. I laughed when I did.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 07:02 am
That sort of says that the retards will never get it on their own...

http://culturecrossfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/whore-house-neon-sign-cover.jpeg
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 22 May, 2017 07:09 am
Rubio gets this one right
Quote:
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) on Sunday responded to other Republican lawmakers’ pleas for less drama from President Donald Trump’s administration by saying that “people got what they voted for.”

Responding on CBS’ “Face The Nation” to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-KY) request for “a little less drama from the White House,” Rubio compared Trump’s presidency to his campaign.

“People got what they voted for. They elected him,” Rubio said. “I don’t understand why people are that shocked.”

He said the drama surrounding Trump’s presidency is “unique,” but said it is “not much different” from Trump’s “very unconventional campaign.”

“And that’s what the American people voted for,” Rubio said.
TPM
The clear winner in our highly-acclaimed No ****, Sherlock category.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 22 May, 2017 07:23 am
Best headline of the week from Politico
Quote:
Donald of Arabia
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 22 May, 2017 07:42 am
Quote:
WHY SALLY YATES STOOD UP TO TRUMP
The former acting Attorney General reflects on the F.B.I., Michael Flynn, and how the President ended her career at the Justice Department.

It is hard to locate when President Trump first declared war on the government establishment, but the story may well begin on the night of January 30th. Three days earlier, Trump, prodded by his most ideological aides, had issued an executive order banning travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries. On the 30th, Sally Yates, the acting U.S. Attorney General, refused to defend the order, saying that she was not convinced that it was lawful. Trump reacted with a fury not seen in the White House since the Nixon era...
Ryan Lizza at NYer
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 22 May, 2017 07:54 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Doesn't Sanders own 6 or 7 homes now? Not bad for the meager salary a US Senator makes.

He only has a $174,000 a year salary. Which is really paltry by many standards. Yet he has 6 or 7 homes? I make just a bit over 6 figures, live in a depressed economic zone and can barely sustain 1.

How does he do it?

Pulled that right out of your ass.

His wife's parents died.
They left her a house in Maine, too far for the Sanders to use.
The Sanders sold the house and used the proceeds to buy a house of comparable worth close enough to enjoy.
A nasty little bit of corruption, certainly.
http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/10/bernie-sanders-buys-summer-home/
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 22 May, 2017 08:02 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn will invoke his Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination on Monday as he notifies the Senate Intelligence committee that he will not comply with a subpoena seeking documents.

That's according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private interactions between Flynn and the committee.

Flynn's decision comes less than two weeks after the committee issued a subpoena for Flynn's documents as part of the panel's investigation into Russia's meddling in the 2016 election.

Legal experts have said Flynn was unlikely to turn over the personal documents without immunity because he would be waiving some of his constitutional protections by doing so. Flynn has previously sought immunity from "unfair prosecution" to cooperate with the committee.

AP
gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 08:05 am
https://www.dailystormer.com/breaking-fbi-uncovers-evidence-that-62-million-trump-voters-are-all-russian-agents/
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 22 May, 2017 08:09 am
@blatham,
Quote:
When French voters resoundingly elected a centrist president rather than a right-leaning antiglobalist this month, one reason may have been the nation’s news media.

I believe that's true, but it goes beyond FAUX. On average, French TV and press journalists are more aggressive towards corrupt politicians, and more likely to expose them than the US media used to be. I say "used to be" because now they seem to be waking up. Better late than never...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 22 May, 2017 08:11 am
@blatham,
I get a kick out of your repeated warnings about Sinclair Media. Have you done a similar analysis of the ownership of other media outlets and newspapers?

I noticed mostly because Sinclair's Corporate headquarters is just down the street from that of my company in Hunt Valley MD. They're good neighbors.
gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 08:36 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQlZNkPRbcU&feature=youtu.be

0 Replies