monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Mon 22 May, 2017 08:45 am
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/05/21/kim-dotcom-i-knew-seth-rich-i-know-he-was-the-wikileaks-source/

I'm not buying this wholesale- yet- but it is quite interesting. An offer of a man who says he has proof that Seth Rich was the source of the DNC leak, which blows to hell the lame ass, conveniently distracting Russia conspiracy theory. Proof of this will go a long way in unmasking the machinations of the shadowy power structure behind US politics.

Hope it's true.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 22 May, 2017 09:43 am
@Lash,
An anylysis by WP: The Seth Rich conspiracy shows how fake news still works

Just as an aside: Kim Schmitz (akaKim Dotcom) has a longer list of criminal conviction here in Germany ... fraud, libel, misappropriation ...
georgeob1

Mon 22 May, 2017 09:47 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
something has rendered you rather monotone and very narrow in your apparent interest or understanding of human affairs, and the associated political and economic conflicts that have dominated history for several millennia.
You've started your sermon but seemed to think it adequate to merely give the theme. You've announced this theme before, quite a few times, actually but then...you go home.
What I stated above seems clear enough to me. You have an unwavering and somewhat narrow focus on political commentary in which a few preconceptions appear to dominate nearly everything else, including the ideas that the motives of those whose positions you oppose are uniformly bad; their methods usually unsavory, and often illegal, while those of others you favor are either praised or unexamined. Favored political movements are presented as authentic and spontaneous while those you oppose are the manifestations of dark conspiracies ("movement conservatives" ), etc.

One with a solid background in human history, and the character of human nature so consistently evident in it, should look beyond that. The French have a good phrase that expresses some of this well;
Quote:
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
a phrase used to express the immutability of central tendencies in human nature that remain evident in things, despite detailed and often superficial changes.

blatham wrote:

This is interesting in two ways. First, you seem to have the notion in your noggin that though I have set to a study of media issues over many years that this study provides me with no greater benefits in understanding the subject than you have acquired with no such level of study.
Some learn a great deal from a little experience: others don't. Some experts in narrow fields are fools in others; others acquire more wisdom from the same effort.
blatham wrote:
Second, you also seem to hold that you've studied something in some greater depth than I (classical studies, I presume) and yet this study of yours benefits your understanding but I am deprived of knowledge and understanding. So that's a tad odd (perhaps particularly because there are few classical writers, Greek or Latin, I didn't study while at university).
Well, each of us has knowledge of what only he has studied, while our discourse here provides mutual impressions of what was learned, but only in the areas being discussed here. I attended Catholic (Jesuit) schools, went to the Naval Academy, completed Navy Flight Training and later Test Pilot Training, got an MS in Aeronautical Engineering and later a PhD in applied Physics. Finally a grim 18 months in Navy Nuclear Power training. I also learned to function in a variety of organizations, (carrier squadrons, large ships, and later corporations in the Engineering & Construction business). It appears we both read a great deal. My choices are a bit whimsical and far-ranging, though I do like history and biography, and, in the area of contemporary political commentary, my reading is much less than is yours.

blatham wrote:
But let's get to the meat of things - your titled but unfleshed sermon. The sentence I quoted above suggests that you have hold of some eternal verities. Further, you seem to be suggesting that these are enough to sustain you or anyone in grasping modern affairs like, for example, the content of Fox or Limbaugh's radio show. We don't really know what you mean here because we just have your sermon's title...
Quote:
human affairs, and the associated political and economic conflicts that have dominated history for several millennia

I believe I do understand some lasting truths, but not all of them: there is much I don't know or understand. That said, I believe I do have a fairly good BS detector. I don't think that Fox news and Limbach's Radio show are in any way sufficient for the understanding of current affairs: neither are CNN and MSNBC. I do believe there's much, much more to be gained from a study of the content of the political issues themselves rather than repeated opinion and commentary from articulate but often uncomprehending professional commentators. This is an important point on which we consistently differ.
blatham wrote:
I sense there's some element in here of "things will always be the same, given 'human nature', so only fools might think to improve conditions". Perhaps you deem the US Constitution an act of fools? Perhaps you hold that a social safety net another such foolish goal? Maybe you hold that slavery, a fairly constant arrangement through the classical and later periods, is just the way things work, given human nature?

Well, I think you're on to something here, but you quickly flew off into hyperbole and absurdity. I think the U.S. Constitution was an act of some very wise men who understood the tumult of human affairs and deliberately created a government with the checks and balances needed to limit most excesses. I think that no one has as yet designed a universal "social safety net" that will work well under all conditions. Some, such as that in Venezuela don't work at all, while others such as those of Cuba or the former Soviet Empire came at a horrible price in freedom and general poverty & stagnation. I believe that human nature is sufficiently complex and human behavior sufficiently adaptable to confound any system imposed to organize it in detail, and that very few of the designers of such systems , including "safety nets", foresee the side effects of what they create. Evidence of this abounds.

Olivier5

Mon 22 May, 2017 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Excellent article, thanks. I particularly like the end line: "None of it makes sense. That means we're never going to stop hearing about it." So true...
Lash

Mon 22 May, 2017 10:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Anyone can say anything, and like the bogus rape charges against whistleblower, Julian Assange, charges can be fabricated by the powerful and their cronies.

Your story may be correct.
Mine may be.

I hope to know which soon.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 22 May, 2017 10:05 am
Trump says he never told the Russians classified intelligence came from Israel
Quote:
“Just so you understand, I never mentioned the word or the name Israel,” Trump told reporters. “Never mentioned it during that conversation. They're all saying I did, so you have another story wrong. Never mentioned the word Israel.”
blatham

Mon 22 May, 2017 10:26 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I get a kick out of your repeated warnings about Sinclair Media. Have you done a similar analysis of the ownership of other media outlets and newspapers?
Ownership of a media entity is, of itself, irrelevant. All media entities have owners. What's relevant is behavior (reportorial/editorial integrity) and, where applicable, degree of market control. For example, here in Canada, before Conrad Black went to jail, his corp owned 70% of Canada's newspapers. The dangers here are obvious.

Quote:
I noticed mostly because Sinclair's Corporate headquarters is just down the street from that of my company in Hunt Valley MD. They're good neighbors.
Well, that's entirely relevant.
Olivier5

Mon 22 May, 2017 11:25 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
a phrase used to express the immutability of central tendencies in human nature that remain evident in things, despite detailed and often superficial changes.

That's correct yet there're other, more practical meanings: eg that change as heralded by politicians (or managers) is often more rhetorical than real, that bosses and leaders often chose ON PURPOSE to fiddle with details, as a way to keep everything that really matters unchanged while pretending to reform.
revelette1

Mon 22 May, 2017 11:32 am
@blatham,
Laughing
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 22 May, 2017 11:37 am
Quote:

OOPS: Trump accidentally confirms source of classified intel he gave to Russians
He did so while mischaracterizing media reports about his Oval Office meeting with top Russian diplomats.

During a photo opportunity with President Trump on Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was asked if he’s concerned about Trump sharing highly sensitive counterterrorism intelligence with Russian officials on May 10 — information that reportedly came from an Israeli source.

Trump responded by telling reporters that he never mentioned the word “Israel” during that meeting with Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov and ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak.

“Just so you understand — I never mentioned the word or the name ‘Israel,’” Trump said. “I never mentioned it during that conversation.”

Gesturing to reporters, Trump added, “They were all saying I did. So you had another story wrong. Never mentioned the word ‘Israel.’”

“Intelligence cooperation is terrific,” Netanyahu said.

The details Trump shared about an ISIS plot to use an explosive tucked inside a laptop computer to bring down a U.S.-bound airplane were quickly traced back to an Israeli source. But before Trump’s comments on Monday, administration officials hadn’t publicly said anything about it, nor had they confirmed that the intelligence came from Israel.

During a news conference last week, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster didn’t deny that Trump shared classified information with the Russians, but said Trump “wasn’t even aware of where that information came from.”

Trump’s comments on Monday also misrepresented mainstream media reports about his disclosure, none of which claimed he mentioned Israel by name during his meeting with the Russian diplomats.

TP
georgeob1

Mon 22 May, 2017 12:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

That's correct yet there're other, more practical meanings: eg that change as heralded by politicians (or managers) is often more rhetorical than real, that bosses and leaders often chose ON PURPOSE to fiddle with details, as a way to keep everything that really matters unchanged while pretending to reform.

That too is an enduring facet of human nature. Humans everywhere, even the supposedly stupid proletarians who are the object of so much of the interest of, often power seeking, political figures, are very adept at manipulating established processes in pursuit of their self-interest - indeed just as adept as the political figures themselves.
layman

Mon 22 May, 2017 01:08 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:

OOPS: Trump accidentally confirms source of classified intel he gave to Russians
He did so while mischaracterizing media reports about his Oval Office meeting with top Russian diplomats.

“Just so you understand — I never mentioned the word or the name ‘Israel,’” Trump said. “I never mentioned it during that conversation.”

Nice try, cheese-eaters.

The NYT, and many other cheese-eating rags who are gravely concerned about classfied information being revealed, claimed publicly that the information came from Israel.

And the clear insinuation coming from the media was that, by sharing the information, Trump effectively told them WHERE the information came from. In essence they claimed that he indirectly "told" them it came from Israel.

Trump did NOT "confirm" that. He just truthfully claimed that such iformation, whether true or not, didn't come from him. You could say that, in effect, he denied it.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 22 May, 2017 01:29 pm
Cheese-eaters have great difficulty distinguishing their fallacious inferences from fact. They are so full of pomposity, and so lacking in self-awareness, that they believe their conclusions, which they deduce from rigid (and indisputably "true") ideological premises, ARE facts.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 01:33 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:

Moooooooooooooooooooooo, plop, plop.......
https://www.commondreams.org/sites/default/files/styles/cd_large/public/views-article/bullshit.jpg?itok=uC_GOM4y
Walter Hinteler

Mon 22 May, 2017 01:46 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
“Just so you understand, just so you understand — I never mentioned the word or the name Israel in conversation. Never mentioned it. They are all saying I did. Never mentioned the word Israel,” Trump told reporters.

But the news reports never claimed that Trump told Lavrov that the intelligence had come from Israel, only that he had shared intelligence from Israel, jeopardizing Israeli intelligence sources and methods.
Source: Haaretz - Israel news
gungasnake

Mon 22 May, 2017 02:03 pm
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18557138_1160201374086192_8677564175898187221_n.jpg?oh=3ccc0386fc8b2e3620c59a96b03cc61c&oe=599D9E42
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 22 May, 2017 02:48 pm
Donald Trump drops out of Saudi Arabia event due to 'exhaustion'
Independent
He had to ask his daughter, Ivanka, to fill in.

Now, I'm not criticizing him for this. Hell, he's seventy years old, overweight, and eats unhealthy food. The presidential trips can be grueling and there's jet lag and the fact that he only sleeps a few hours a night, preferably in his own bed.

No, the only reason this is even newsworthy is this:
Quote:
"To be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina ... You have to be able to negotiate our trade deals. You have to be able to negotiate, that's right, with Japan, with Saudi Arabia. I mean, can you imagine, we're defending Saudi Arabia?"

Donald Trump, 1st Presidential Debate, September 26, 2016
0 Replies

snood

Mon 22 May, 2017 02:53 pm
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/18556916_1913450138925134_1990423565036353894_o.jpg?oh=ad2d8feb5cd70b8f0cda42018d97f0e0&oe=59BADEA3
revelette1

Mon 22 May, 2017 03:24 pm
Quote:
Flynn 'Lied to Investigators' About Russia Trip, Says Top House Dem

Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn appears to have lied to security clearance investigators by telling them he was paid by "U.S. companies" when he traveled to Russia in December 2015, according to a letter released Monday by the ranking Democrat on the House Oversight Committee.

"The Oversight Committee has in our possession documents that appear to indicate that General Flynn lied to the investigators who interviewed him in 2016 as part of his security clearance renewal," said Rep. Elijiah Cummings of Maryland in a letter to committee chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah).

"Specifically, the Committee has obtained a Report of Investigation dated March 14, 2016, showing that General Flynn told security clearance investigators that he was paid by `U.S. companies' when he traveled to Moscow in December 2015 to dine at a gala with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The actual source of the funds for General Flynn's trip was not a U.S. company, but the Russian media propaganda arm, RT."

NBC NEWS
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 22 May, 2017 03:37 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/05/21/kim-dotcom-i-knew-seth-rich-i-know-he-was-the-wikileaks-source/

I'm not buying this wholesale- yet- but it is quite interesting. An offer of a man who says he has proof that Seth Rich was the source of the DNC leak, which blows to hell the lame ass, conveniently distracting Russia conspiracy theory. Proof of this will go a long way in unmasking the machinations of the shadowy power structure behind US politics.

Hope it's true.

Very very interesting.
0 Replies