monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

InfraBlue

Sat 20 May, 2017 07:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

So, slander and libel are "leaks?"

Untrue leaks are slander and libel.

How can a leak be untrue? A leak is the disclosure of confidential information. If something is untrue how can it be confidential let alone disclosable?
gungasnake

Sat 20 May, 2017 07:45 pm
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18555965_1966534400246639_7434497793504531815_n.jpg?oh=7f9e15789a398fe7ca0e2a4e90c3e92e&oe=59B573EE
giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 08:33 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18555965_1966534400246639_7434497793504531815_n.jpg?oh=7f9e15789a398fe7ca0e2a4e90c3e92e&oe=59B573EE

Nothing we didn't already know, huh?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 May, 2017 09:26 pm
@Olivier5,
I didn't think there was such a thing as "non-violent rape."

That really was an insensitive and cloddish thing to write, and I'm surprised that you've yet to be castigated for it. If our old friend hawkeye had written such a thing he would be subjected to all sorts of cursing and condemnation.

Maybe orolloy has a point.
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 09:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I didn't think there was such a thing as "non-violent rape."

Well, Finn, in my experience, the threat of violence often suffices.

Not that I go around raping anyone. It aint worth the trouble. I just offer the ho four bits, and it's a done deal, ya know?
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 May, 2017 10:20 pm
@layman,
Would you agree that threatening violence, in and of itself, is an act of violence?
blatham

Sat 20 May, 2017 10:57 pm
Quote:
McMaster: Trump might not use the phrase 'radical Islamic terror' in Saudi address
Politico
Darn. That is unfortunate. As everyone knows, America is threatened with extinction-level disaster unless the problem of terrorism, which is a phenomenon arising in the Middle East and with its roots in the culture and mindset of the Muslim faith, cannot be ameliorated without bold and courageous and clear-sighted invocation of that exact phrase by America's leader.

Double darn! He's bowing!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DASjeQbU0AAjKVJ.jpg

Quote:
Dan Pfeiffer‏Verified account @danpfeiffer 12h12 hours ago
Dan Pfeiffer Retweeted Alexi McCammond
The only silver lining to the dark cloud of the Trump era is the daily reminder of how full of **** conservative critics of Obama were

layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Not to me, Finn. no. Technically they're different things. A verbal threat, for example, is not an "act" in the normal sense of the word.

It might depend on the nature of the threat, of course. I would admit that sticking a sawed-off shotgun in someone's face, for example, is an act that kinda seems violent. But it isn't violence, per se, really. It's a threat. It doesn't physically harm anyone (although it does mentally). It's a act of intimidation, but not violence.

You might say that someone submitting in response is a result of "force," sure. But it's not violence. Rape requires "force" or coercion of some kind, but it doesn't have to be "violent" force. You might, for example, force someone by using blackmail. You can "force" sex (circumvent consent) when someone is unconscious, but you don't have to use "violence" to render them unconscious. Ask your average dentist, ya know?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:08 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
King wasn't a "political opponent". AG Robert Kennedy ordered the wiretapping of King because it was alleged that one of his top advisors was a high ranking member of the Communist Party of the USA. At the time, this was considered a serious security risk. It's hardly equivalent to Nixon covering up an illegal break in off the opposition party's headquarters by operatives from his re-election campaign committee.

How about LBJ's wiretapping of Nixon's campaign in 1968?
http://www.deepjournal.com/p/7/a/en/681.html

Or LBJ's wiretapping of Humphrey's campaign in 1968?
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1998/04/three-new-revelations-about-lbj/377094/

I swear that I've heard a report (that at the time I deemed to be credible) that LBJ wiretapped Robert Kennedy, but I couldn't find anything about it in a web search.

It looks like the wiretapping went back to at least Truman:
http://nsarchive.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/wiretapping-and-j-edgar-hoover/

Nixon wasn't the first to wiretap opponents. He was just the first to do it with a private team instead of having it done by the FBI.
blatham

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:09 pm
Quote:
Lee Fang‏Verified account @lhfang 13h13 hours ago
Everyone thank Trump for selling US warplanes to the family dictatorship whose spies helped the 9/11 hijackers w/ finding flight schools
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:10 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Liberals just think that rape is OK if it is done by a liberal. Note that movie director who violently raped a 13 year old girl and is always protected from extradition to the US. Liberals actually condemned the 13 year old girl for having been brutally raped.

Um, plenty of liberals loathe Polanski for what he did. My guess would be most, easily.

My guess is, almost all liberals celebrate Polanski and revile his victim.

But I acknowledge that dissent from a small percentage of liberals can still amount to a large number of dissenters.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I don't recall that the Polanski case can be described as a "violent rape".

As I recall she was 13 years old and he drugged her before raping her. Maybe not violent, but pretty horrible.

Olivier5 wrote:
The interesting thing with Assange is that he might be able to get out of that embassy.

I know. Liberals are truly despicable.
oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:13 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Quote:
How are you supposed to treat an incident like his address to the CIA agents early on in his term? How are you supposed to cover something that embarrassing in a positive manner? How are you supposed to deal with the repeated demonstrations of obvious incompetence?

You expect the media to say, "This guy's doing a great job and his administration appears to be highly competent"? Really??

I've already forgotten the details about the CIA speech. But I recall there being a kerfuffle in the media and I recall coming to the conclusion that the criticism of Trump was all a bunch of nonsense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:14 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Hey, oralloy, I didn't know you were such a big MLK fan. (Actually, I'm speaking sarcastically here. I seriously doubt you really are.)

Indeed I am not. I greatly respect his stand on civil rights (and I regard him as my moral and ethical equal because of that stand), but I would not say that I am a "big fan" as if I were some teenager adulating a rock star. I also disagree with his weird economic ideas.

wmwcjr wrote:
Re: the history of liberals (some of which is admittedly tragic), why don't you deal with the dishonorable history of your own movement during the period of the late 1940s through the 1970s regarding racial discrimination?

My own movement? Gun rights?

wmwcjr wrote:
Conservatives despised MLK when he was alive. I ought to know because I lived through the period!

Well as I said, he did have weird economic ideas. His extremism on economics would hardly endear him to conservatives.

wmwcjr wrote:
Leading conservatives such as William Buckley and all the others condemned rulings by the Federal courts against discrimination. They also opposed civil rights legislation and the civil rights movement -- with hardly a criticism of segregationists. You don't believe me? Just go to your local public library and check out past issues of National Review that were published in that time period. I dare you to do it. I seriously doubt you're incapable of learning anything, though, because political conservatism is your religion and your god.

You are right to doubt that I am incapable of learning. I'm the smartest person that you've ever talked to.

I'll take your word for it about Buckley's views. But I am at a loss as to why you are telling me about them.

wmwcjr wrote:
It has filled the apparent emptiness in your life.

You perceive emptiness in my life? That's odd.

wmwcjr wrote:
Conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh lie about their historical record on civil rights. (Like many of my classmates in high school, he probably chortled when King was assassinated.) He once claimed that Republicans passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act. What he doesn't say is that both parties at that time had a left wing and a right wing -- as opposed to the polarized ideological reality today, which is most unfortunate. Most, if not all, of the Republican Senators who voted for the Civil Rights Act, were liberals and moderates. (Yes, there once were liberal Republicans!) Most of the Democratic Senators who voted against it were conservatives. If any of those liberal and moderate Republicans were still around today, Limbaugh and other conservative Republicans would denounce them as RINOs.

In the early 1960s conservative Republicans began to invite the white Southern conservative "Democrats" to cross over and join their party. So, today there are white Southern Republicans -- the neo-Confederates -- who detest Abraham Lincoln, the founder of their party! Incidentally, the Ku Klux Klan has always been a conservative group. It has always been anti-liberal. All of what I've just said is a matter of undeniable historical fact. No attempt of historical revisionism can stand the test of truth. Of course, there are those who are willingly ignorant or intellectually dishonest.

I am sure that there were conservatives who supported civil rights. They may very well have been a minority within the conservative movement.

I'm not sure what you think any of this this has to do with me.

wmwcjr wrote:
I repeat, from the late 1940s through the 1970s, the political conservatives defended segregationists and condemned the civil rights movement. Oralloy, you really should join the John Birch Society, assuming you're not already a member.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

wmwcjr wrote:
Oralloy, someday I hope you can get over your intense hatred and bigotry. It really isn't good for your mental health. As someone who gave up on politics a long time ago, I can assure you that there are decent people on both sides of the political divide -- liberal and conservative or, as some would say, Democrats and Republicans. Of course, this is something you're not able or unwilling to see because of your intense bigotry.

Hold on here. I have no bigotry, and you cannot provide any evidence of any such bigotry.

I certainly don't hate anyone who doesn't deserve to be hated.

wmwcjr wrote:
A very close friend of mine is a Trump supporter. When I got married more than 30 years ago, I was a Democrat; and my wife was a Republican. That didn't keep us from being in love. Incidentally, I left the Democratic Party years ago; and my wife, who had been tired of all the Southern segregationists who were invited to join her party, finally left the party when Trump was nominated. (Again, for the very last time, I voted for Evan McMullin -- not Hillary Clinton.) We're both independents now.

That's nice. I'm not sure that I see a point though.

wmwcjr wrote:
Readers of this forum should realize that oralloy has a personal problem of a mental or moral nature. About five years ago, he posted a graphic postmortem photo of the murder victim -- a young woman whose throat was deeply slashed -- in the Amanda Knox case, which I've known nothing about. I was sickened by the photo when I saw it, but oralloy chortled over it like some kind of ghoul. That is not how a decent person reacts.

Your harping on this is starting to get weird.

I am of course willing to discuss it, but considering that I've already addressed this point the last dozen times that you made it, one would think that you would advance the conversation and respond to my response. Instead you just blindly repeat the same opening statement.

wmwcjr wrote:
For the his own sake, oralloy should perhaps pay less attention to politics and, instead, seek counseling from a clergyman or psychiatrist.

Thanks, but I'm fine.

wmwcjr wrote:
He's in no position to say that anyone is dishonorable.

Wrong. My defense of innocent people makes me easily the moral and ethical equal of that Martin Luther King guy that you were just talking about. I am very well positioned to condemn dishonor.

wmwcjr wrote:
As Trump has so often said: Sad!

There is nothing shameful in defending an innocent person from a lynch mob.
oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Now here's a place where some notion akin to "deep state" actually makes some sense. Eisenhower was rather perfectly placed to grasp how organizational structures surrounding the military and those corporations which made arms and provided logistics (that is to say, war) their profit-making business functioned as a dynamic force within and around government.

Eisenhower was a meddler who continually obstructed the development of more powerful nuclear weapons. Sad
0 Replies

layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm the smartest person that you've ever talked to.

Just curious: what's your IQ? I have never seen a self-announced IQ on the internet that wasn't at least 200. What's yours? 250? 300?
oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Liberals just think that rape is OK if it is done by a liberal. Note that movie director who violently raped a 13 year old girl and is always protected from extradition to the US. Liberals actually condemned the 13 year old girl for having been brutally raped.

For the love of god. France doesn't extradite it's citizens and US attempts to extradite Polanski from Poland where he was working a few years ago were rejected by the Polish court and Swiss authorities previously rejected US attempts to extradite him when he was working in that country.

Thank you for confirming that I am correct.
oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
How can a leak be untrue?

By being a complete falsehood.

InfraBlue wrote:
A leak is the disclosure of confidential information. If something is untrue how can it be confidential let alone disclosable?

A falsehood may well not be confidential information. That does not prevent horrible people from passing the falsehood on to the media and letting them believe that it is true.
oralloy

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:47 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Just curious: what's your IQ? I have never seen a self-announced IQ on the internet that wasn't at least 200. What's yours? 250? 300?

Out of a statistically random group of ten million people, I would be the smartest of that ten million.

I've never bothered translating that into a typical "IQ number". I think there are a couple different ways of doing it, leading to a different number depending on the technique.

But with 7 billion people on the planet, that places me in the top 1000 of all living humans.

Of course, there are different ways of measuring intelligence. I can grasp complex concepts trivially easily, but I have very low creativity. I'd not fare well at all on a test that centered around creativity.
gungasnake

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:47 pm
https://www.infowars.com/live-anthony-weiner-pizzagate-domino-falls-admits-preying-on-child/
0 Replies