monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Sat 20 May, 2017 02:40 pm
@oralloy,
I don't recall that the Polanski case can be described as a "violent rape".

The interesting thing with Assange is that he might be able to get out of that embassy.
hightor

Sat 20 May, 2017 02:46 pm
@layman,
Answer the questions:

Quote:
How are you supposed to treat an incident like his address to the CIA agents early on in his term? How are you supposed to cover something that embarrassing in a positive manner? How are you supposed to deal with the repeated demonstrations of obvious incompetence?

You expect the media to say, "This guy's doing a great job and his administration appears to be highly competent"? Really??

I never saw a new administration get off to a worse start than Clinton's. And the press had a filed day with it. It was painful and embarrassing. Because how can the press report anything else? They looked like amateurs. Worst roll out I ever saw — until 2017.

And, by the way, you didn't "predict" anything because that's the answer I already posted on another thread a week or two ago.

layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 02:49 pm
@hightor,
Rave on, cheese-eater. You don't need to solicit me as someone who will "confirm" your cheese-eating rants. You can get that from just about every other poster in this thread.
hightor

Sat 20 May, 2017 02:52 pm
@layman,
Obviously I hurt your feelings. I'm sorry and I'll try not to let it happen again.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 20 May, 2017 02:53 pm
@hightor,
I'm seeing a lot of assumptions by you. I didn't say moral crimes by Ds and Rs were identical, but telling lynched blacks to keep quiet about that pesky Jim Crow stuff can be argued as equally - or more - disgusting than Nixon's cronies trying to get inside information about an election, wouldn't you say?!?

What Nixon did PALES in comparison to the dirty election tampering of the DNC.

I don't see you decrying that election tampering. Why do you care about Nixon's? At least we have reason to believe Nixon didn't order the b and e, he likely just covered it up.

So, ok for the DNC but abhorrent for Nixon?
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 02:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for your help with the study, Walt. You can see for yourself that the coverage from CNN, CBS, and NBC was all at least 90% negative. Surprisingly, the NYT was "only" 87% negative.

ARD was 98% negative, which, I guess, goes a long way toward explaining many of the opinions you post here.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 20 May, 2017 03:12 pm
A little diversion from the implosion of the GOP to the implosion of the Dems.

Perez tells protesting former Dem Nurses to shut the **** up.

He's doing a great job!!

http://observer.com/2017/05/tom-perez-california-democratic-party-convention/
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 03:18 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Eric Bauman, the California Democratic Party vice chair and candidate to succeed Burton as the Party’s chair, received $12,500 a month from the pharmaceutical industry to fight proposition 61, which would “cap the price that any state agency or care program could spend on prescription drugs at what the federal Department of Veterans Affairs pays.”

Bauman received these payments while earning a six-figure salary as an adviser to California Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon. Proposition 61 failed to pass in November 2016 after the pharmaceutical industry spent millions of dollars opposing it.

I guess that "peddling influence," accepting bribes, and/or embracing "conflicts of interest" don't bother the democrats in the least as long as it's one of "their own" doing it, eh?
Lash

Sat 20 May, 2017 03:19 pm
@layman,
I can't abide the double standard. I don't understand how anyone can.
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 03:30 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I can't abide the double standard. I don't understand how anyone can.

I hear ya, Darlin. Unfortunately very few people will universally condemn things "on principle," not in practice, at least.

Any particular act they condemn is often determined solely by their personal or partisan inclinations and interests.

But I do share your sentiments. For whatever reason, I find hypocrisy to be particularly disgusting.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 20 May, 2017 04:19 pm
@oralloy,
J. Edgar Hoover, a Republican appointee, didn't need to be ordered by Attorney General Robert Kennedy or any other leading Democratic official, to spy on Martin Luther King Jr. Hoover personally despised King from the very beginning and had absolutely no sympathy for the civil rights movement.

Hey, oralloy, I didn't know you were such a big MLK fan. (Actually, I'm speaking sarcastically here. I seriously doubt you really are.) Re: the history of liberals (some of which is admittedly tragic), why don't you deal with the dishonorable history of your own movement during the period of the late 1940s through the 1970s regarding racial discrimination? Conservatives despised MLK when he was alive. I ought to know because I lived through the period! Leading conservatives such as William Buckley and all the others condemned rulings by the Federal courts against discrimination. They also opposed civil rights legislation and the civil rights movement -- with hardly a criticism of segregationists. You don't believe me? Just go to your local public library and check out past issues of National Review that were published in that time period. I dare you to do it. I seriously doubt you're incapable of learning anything, though, because political conservatism is your religion and your god. It has filled the apparent emptiness in your life.

Conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh lie about their historical record on civil rights. (Like many of my classmates in high school, he probably chortled when King was assassinated.) He once claimed that Republicans passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act. What he doesn't say is that both parties at that time had a left wing and a right wing -- as opposed to the polarized ideological reality today, which is most unfortunate. Most, if not all, of the Republican Senators who voted for the Civil Rights Act, were liberals and moderates. (Yes, there once were liberal Republicans!) Most of the Democratic Senators who voted against it were conservatives. If any of those liberal and moderate Republicans were still around today, Limbaugh and other conservative Republicans would denounce them as RINOs.

In the early 1960s conservative Republicans began to invite the white Southern conservative "Democrats" to cross over and join their party. So, today there are white Southern Republicans -- the neo-Confederates -- who detest Abraham Lincoln, the founder of their party! Incidentally, the Ku Klux Klan has always been a conservative group. It has always been anti-liberal. All of what I've just said is a matter of undeniable historical fact. No attempt of historical revisionism can stand the test of truth. Of course, there are those who are willingly ignorant or intellectually dishonest.

I repeat, from the late 1940s through the 1970s, the political conservatives defended segregationists and condemned the civil rights movement. Oralloy, you really should join the John Birch Society, assuming you're not already a member. They claimed (and probably still claim) that the civil rights movement was a Communist plot.

Oralloy, someday I hope you can get over your intense hatred and bigotry. It really isn't good for your mental health. As someone who gave up on politics a long time ago, I can assure you that there are decent people on both sides of the political divide -- liberal and conservative or, as some would say, Democrats and Republicans. Of course, this is something you're not able or unwilling to see because of your intense bigotry. A very close friend of mine is a Trump supporter. When I got married more than 30 years ago, I was a Democrat; and my wife was a Republican. That didn't keep us from being in love. Incidentally, I left the Democratic Party years ago; and my wife, who had been tired of all the Southern segregationists who were invited to join her party, finally left the party when Trump was nominated. (Again, for the very last time, I voted for Evan McMullin -- not Hillary Clinton.) We're both independents now.

Readers of this forum should realize that oralloy has a personal problem of a mental or moral nature. About five years ago, he posted a graphic postmortem photo of the murder victim -- a young woman whose throat was deeply slashed -- in the Amanda Knox case, which I've known nothing about. I was sickened by the photo when I saw it, but oralloy chortled over it like some kind of ghoul. That is not how a decent person reacts. For the his own sake, oralloy should perhaps pay less attention to politics and, instead, seek counseling from a clergyman or psychiatrist. He's in no position to say that anyone is dishonorable. As Trump has so often said: Sad!
giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 04:40 pm
@layman,
Know what Layman? You and me need to move to a bleeding heart liberal state and start robbing lots of banks. We will give 10% to PEATA and 10% to NPR and the get a pardon and live off our 40%...what do ya think?
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 04:43 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Know what Layman? You and me need to move to a bleeding heart liberal state and start robbing lots of banks. We will give 10% to PEATA and 10% to NPR and the get a pardon and live off our 40%...what do ya think?

Great Idea!

Also more ambitious than just moving there because you're a homeless, heroin-addicted bum who wants big-ass welfare checks, free needles to inject with, and cops who will never bother you.

I like it!
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 04:44 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I'm just saying it's a possibility, which is currently being assessed by very competent people, more competent than you and me on such topics. Calm down.

The validity or legality of the election is NOT being assessed.

You haven't the slightest​ idea what you're talking about.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 04:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
If your favorite football team gets destroyed by another team, and the local newspaper writes a story about the game, is the resulting news story--which paints an ugly picture of your team's performance--an example of the newspaper's bias against your beloved team?

Of course not.

But that's essentially what some conservative media believe when it comes to coverage of the Trump White House. In their view, since most coverage of Trump is negative, that proves the media is biased against the president.

Source

Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/ZnnFk1V.jpg

Source froml study: News Coverage of Donald Trump’s First 100 Days

So it seems Fox News is the only fair and balanced news agency...but then we all knew that didn't we?
0 Replies

layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 05:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
A couple more tidbits from the Harvard study:

Quote:
President Trump dominated media coverage in the outlets and programs analyzed, with Trump being the topic of 41 percent of all news stories—three times the amount of coverage received by previous presidents.

Trump has received unsparing coverage for most weeks of his presidency, without a single major topic where Trump’s coverage, on balance, was more positive than negative, setting a new standard for unfavorable press coverage of a president.

What’s different with President Trump is that he’s taken the fight to the press, openly and with relish.

Trump’s dislike of the press was slow in coming. When he announced his presidential candidacy, journalists embraced him, and he returned the favor. Trump received far more coverage, and far more positive coverage, than did his Republican rivals...Only after he had secured the Republican nomination did the press sharpen its scrutiny and, as his news coverage turned negative, Trump turned on the press.

The media have been fascinated by Trump since the first days of his presidential candidacy. Our studies of 2016 presidential election coverage found that Trump received more news coverage than rival candidates during virtually every week of the campaign. News ratings were slumping until Trump entered the arena. Said one network executive, “[Trump] may not be good for America, but [he’s] damn good for [us].”

https://shorensteincenter.org/news-coverage-donald-trumps-first-100-days/
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 20 May, 2017 05:13 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
The $110 billion deal for Saudi purchases of US defence equipment and services

War is very profitable.

Now here's a place where some notion akin to "deep state" actually makes some sense. Eisenhower was rather perfectly placed to grasp how organizational structures surrounding the military and those corporations which made arms and provided logistics (that is to say, war) their profit-making business functioned as a dynamic force within and around government.
blatham

Sat 20 May, 2017 05:30 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
oralloy wrote:
Liberals just think that rape is OK if it is done by a liberal. Note that movie director who violently raped a 13 year old girl and is always protected from extradition to the US. Liberals actually condemned the 13 year old girl for having been brutally raped.

Um, plenty of liberals loathe Polanski for what he did. My guess would be most, easily.
For the love of god. France doesn't extradite it's citizens and US attempts to extradite Polanski from Poland where he was working a few years ago were rejected by the Polish court and Swiss authorities previously rejected US attempts to extradite him when he was working in that country.
blatham

Sat 20 May, 2017 05:38 pm
Quote:
Nixonland author Rick Perlstein thinks comparisons between President Trump and former President Richard Nixon somewhat overestimate Trump's capabilities. In an interview with The New Yorker's David Remnick, Perlstein explained why — despite the fact that both Trump and Nixon fired federal officials leading an investigation into them — the presidents aren't really all that similar:

Quote:
"I actually think the comparisons at this point obscure more than they reveal. Nixon was just so shrewd, so strategic: It's simply inconceivable he would get caught with his pants down implicating himself on the record, like Trump now does almost daily," Rick Perlstein, the author of Nixonland, told [Remnick]. "My favorite Nixon maxim was 'Never get mad unless it's on purpose.' But the words 'on purpose' and 'Donald Trump' now feel like matter and antimatter; with him, it's all impulse. Nixon was so obsessed with preparation he used to memorize answers to likely press conference questions, questions he'd delegate to staffers like Pat Buchanan to dream up...
TheWeek
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 20 May, 2017 07:37 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I didn't say moral crimes by Ds and Rs were identical...

And I wasn't giving a comprehensive review of every political atrocity committed by political parties in the modern era. I'm not writing a book.
Quote:
What Nixon did PALES in comparison to the dirty election tampering of the DNC.

You're wrong.
0 Replies