monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:05 pm
The DOJ just appointed a special counsel to take over the Russia Investigation. Here's crossing my fingers...
glitterbag

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:07 pm
@snood,
I just saw that, they named former FBI director Robert Mueller.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:08 pm
@snood,
Good to see you.
On the special counsel, I think I'm happy about that, depending on the counsel's ability to refrain from bias..
0 Replies

layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:12 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller to serve as special counsel to oversee the previously confirmed investigation of Russian efforts to influential the 2016 Presidential election and related matters.

Mueller was appointed FBI director in 2001 and served in the position until 2013. FBI directors are appointed to ten-year terms, but President Barack Obama added two years to his tenure.

A career prosecutor and veteran of the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War, Mueller is a widely respected figure in Washington.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/doj-appoints-special-counsel-in-wake-of-comey-developments/

One of Obama's favorite employees, eh?

What will the cheese-eaters bitch about now? Surely they'll have to find SOMETHING wrong with this guy, because Trump just can't be trusted.

Remember, this Rosenstein guy is the one who corruptly conspired with Trump to fire Comey in order to shut down the russian investigation. What's that tellya, eh?

Tells me that Mueller has already taken a big-ass bribe from Trump.
revelette1

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:14 pm
Quote:
Comey's interest in keeping a record of his Oval Office meeting should come as no surprise to anyone who has read the FBI's official "Manual of Administrative Operations and Procedures."

The 113-page section relating to Written Communication offers detailed guidance on everything from how to address an envelope to how pages should be numbered.

It also spells out the proper use of Form FD-302, "on which information is recorded that may later become testimony." The manual makes clear that if "it is anticipated the results will become the subject of court testimony the rough handwritten notes are to be retained."

It was unclear Wednesday if or when the Comey notes will be released. Republican Representative Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, has sent the FBI a letter asking for all memos, notes and recordings between Comey and Trump by May 24.

But lawmakers are looking for more than Comey's written recollections of his dealings with the president.

"I don't want to read a memo. I want to hear it from him," said Republican Senator Lindsey Graham in an MSNBC interview, referring to Comey.

CNBC

0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:35 pm
@snood,
This could be interesting. Lots of stuff in the past week about Rosenstein not being willing to take the fall for the Comey firing.

-----------------

tapes, tapes , tapes

you'd think politicians would know better

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-majority-leader-to-colleagues-in-2016-i-think-putin-pays-trump/2017/05/17/515f6f8a-3aff-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html

Quote:
KIEV, Ukraine — A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the U.S. Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.

News had just broken the day before in The Washington Post that Russian government hackers had penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee, prompting McCarthy to shift the conversation from Russian meddling in Europe to events closer to home.

Some of the lawmakers laughed at McCarthy’s comment. Then McCarthy quickly added: “Swear to God.”

Ryan instructed his Republican lieutenants to keep the conversation private, saying: “No leaks...This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

The remarks remained secret for nearly a year.

links to transcript and more at the link above

the Manafort situation is interesting
ehBeth

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Listening to a fascinating interview with John Dean on As It Happens. Hopefully it will be online shortly.
snood

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:41 pm
Mueller looks pretty solid at my first examination. Served as FBI Director under both Republican and Democratic Presidents. Was the first and only director to be asked to stay PAST the 10 year tenure - Obama asked him to stay on until Comey took over. Has a reputation for being dogged and independent - but plays things notoriously close to his chest - which might prove frustrating for everyone if he chooses to stay completely close-mouthed about his findings until his investigation is concluded. All in all, so far, a good development. I tend to like it just because I know a special counsel is something the white house DID NOT want.
ehBeth

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:41 pm
@ehBeth,
in today's interview they talk about their January interview with Mr. Dean

podcast and full transcript of that interview

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3941076

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3941076/jan-18-2017-episode-transcript-1.3943329
0 Replies

snood

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Listening to a fascinating interview with John Dean on As It Happens. Hopefully it will be online shortly.

Dean has a singular and unique perspective on all this stuff. I always enjoy hearing his take on what might scurry from under the rocks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:46 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
What if Mr. Trump really is the least qualified person ever elected to the office in modern times?

That's not it. The problem is that the Democrats are delusional and out of touch with reality.
0 Replies

layman

@ehBeth,
Ya left this part out, eh?

Quote:
It is difficult to tell from the recording the extent to which the remarks were meant to be taken literally.

That’s when McCarthy brought the conversation about Russian meddling around to the DNC hack, Trump and Rohrabacher.

“I’ll guarantee you that’s what it is...The Russians hacked the DNC and got the opp [opposition] research that they had on Trump,” McCarthy said with a laugh..

Ryan asked who the Russians “delivered” the opposition research to.

“There’s... there’s two people, I think, Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy said, drawing some laughter.

Buck, speaking for the GOP House leadership, said: “This entire year-old exchange was clearly an attempt at humor. No one believed the majority leader was seriously asserting that Donald Trump or any of our members were being paid by the Russians. What’s more, the speaker and leadership team have repeatedly spoken out against Russia’s interference in our election, and the House continues to investigate that activity.”

“This was a failed attempt at humor,” Sparks said.

0 Replies

ehBeth

@snood,
word is Rosenstein did this without letting Sessions know

Sessions found out when the WH Counsel was advised - after the order had been signed
InfraBlue

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:52 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
He implicitly conceded that it was completely up to Comey to do what he thought was right.

Tortured interpretations of implicitness, notwithstanding, Trump didn't say that he hoped that Comey either let the investigation go or continue it according to what Comey thought was right. Trump explicitly expressed that he hoped that Comey would act in one specific manner, letting the investigation go.
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:58 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Trump explicitly expressed that he hoped that Comey would act in one specific manner, letting the investigation go.

If, and only if, he could do it in clear conscience. Forget that part?

Either way, expressing your "hopes" regarding a friend, is not tantamount to "impeding" an investigation. There is no law against expressing an opinion about someone's innocence. Obama did it all the time. That's not "obstruction," sorry.

You seem to now be admitting that Trump didn't "ask" Comey to terminate the investigation, eh?

Nice try, cheese-eater.
snood

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:02 pm
LOL! Rep. John Garamendi (D- Cal) was talking tonight on CNN about Trump's speech at the Coast Guard Academy. "Wa-ah, wa-ah, I'm being picked on!" "You're being picked on because you screwed up!", Garamendi says . "Trump can't blame this special counsel on the press!"
snood

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

word is Rosenstein did this without letting Sessions know

Sessions found out when the WH Counsel was advised - after the order had been signed

Yup, and sure enough, just like clockwork I saw reporting already where Sessions was seen entering the White House right after the announcement about the special counsel. Gotta scurry in there to commiserate with his master.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:09 pm
I'm in the mood for a nice salad

cheese snowflakes look so good

http://brittablvd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FrozenPrep19.jpg

mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7b/5d/c4/7b5dc44638f667bafb0a01f27dbf1414.jpg

ehBeth

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:10 pm
@snood,
That was beyond pathetic.

And where are those Coast Guard grads going to work now that Trump has cut funding for the Coast Guard. Some of those kids didn't look real happy.
ehBeth

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:13 pm
from the roguestaff twitter account

Quote:
POTUS shell shocked and angry. Rosenstein a "traitor."

he really thought Rosenstein was going to accept what happened last week?