monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
U.S. and EU officials will meet next week in Washington for more talks about risks to air travel after a meeting in Brussels on Wednesday did not, as some industry watchers had expected, extend a cabin ban on large electronics devices.
[...]
The U.S. administration official said intelligence "continues to point to terrorist groups targeting commercial aviation and they are gradually pursuing innovative methods to undertake their attacks including smuggling explosive devices in various consumer items."

"We did share additional information with our European partners today," the official added.
... ... ...
Source
revelette1

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:09 pm
@layman,
Trump was influencing Comey to let the investigation of Flynn go. Trump and Comey were not on equal footing. An expressed hope by Trump who had the ability of firing him, carried a lot of weight than it would be if it were only two colleagues. Lo and behold, he did end up firing him.
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't know this:

Quote:
Fears that a bomb could be concealed in electronic devices prompted the United States to announce in March that it would restrict passengers from bringing devices larger than cellphones onto flights originating from 10 airports, including those in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey. Britain followed suit with restrictions on a slightly different set of routes.

I'm quite surprised that the 9th circuit, perhaps better known as the "Foreign Policy and Security Department of the USA," hasn't reversed this policy, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:20 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Trump was influencing Comey to let the investigation of Flynn go.

That so? Are you claiming that Comey was "influenced" by some "corrupt" president to abandon his statutory duties, that the idea?
ossobucotemp

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm missing a link -

how did this later to be boasted about information get from Israel to Trump? I'm guessing via one of our agencies. I would also guess that was top secret, or some similar phrase about if being highly confidential. Was Mr. Slip of the Lip not warned, I take it by Mossad to our agency (or Trump?) or if he was, did he pay no attention?

It might have been explained and I missed it, as I don't keep up with absolutely everything.
hightor

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Britt Hume was on TV last night and made the comment that he has never seen this level of hysteria and vitriol in the response of the MSM and the opposition party to any president.

What if Mr. Trump really is the least qualified person ever elected to the office in modern times? It seems to me that he's screwed things up from the day he took office. How incompetent does an office holder have to be to merit the measure of vitriol and hysteria Mr. Hume is accusing the MSM of today?

I really wish everyone would quit trying to predict the future before we have seen real evidence. Let the investigations proceed and let the case for both sides unfold. Hell, there will probably be another kerfuffle in a matter of days and it might make this one look about as important as Mr. Trump's concern with the size of the crowd at his inauguration.

Meanwhile there's plenty of hysteria and vitriol to go around — I guess the reason Mr. Hume only mentioned the MSM is because we're all used to hearing this level of apoplectic alarm emanating from the right wing media.
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Enemies from within have launched a “deep-state” smear campaign, news organizations are acting with ulterior motives, and the worst attacks are yet to come.

Pushing back against the biggest threat so far to Donald Trump’s young presidency, his most fervent supporters are building alternative narratives to run alongside the “establishment” media account — from relatively benign diversions to more bizarre conspiracies.

(...)

As Americans process a dizzying week of damning revelations about the president — his firing of the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey; his disclosure of highly sensitive intelligence to the Russians; and his plea to Mr. Comey to drop the bureau’s investigation of his fired national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn — Mr. Trump has found shelter on the right, where the collective judgment of the conservative media and the Republican Party so far seems to be to dismiss the allegations as “fake news,” shift the blame and change the subject.

(...)

In the conservative media, an alternate story line has already taken shape. In this story, Mr. Comey, an embittered and opportunistic employee whom Mr. Trump fired, is now trying to redeem himself with retroactively released — and unseen — memos of his version of events. On “Fox & Friends” on Wednesday morning, one of the hosts, Brian Kilmeade, expressed disbelief. “If you write it down, does that mean it’s true?” he asked.

more in the NYT
You can see this phenomenon on A2K. Practically every day.
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:36 pm
@revelette1,
Comey must be a felon himself if he thought that Trump was committing "obstruction of justice" and didn't immediately report it to prosecutors at the department of justice, eh?

Quote:
18 U.S. Code § 4 - Misprision of felony

Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

It is the U.S. Courts, not Comey, who have jursidiction over such matters and the DOJ could have obtained a court order to compel Comey to perform his duties, if they had known about this previously hidden "memo."

Quote:
28 U.S. Code § 1361 - Action to compel an officer of the United States to perform his duty

The district courts shall have original jurisdiction of any action in the nature of mandamus to compel an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof to perform a duty owed to the plaintiff.

Of course none of that would be relevant if the memo reveals no crime (which it doesn't, so.....)

0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Details are scants but it seems somebody in the meeting, on the US admin side, probably an intel guy, became concerned that la Trump was disclosing too many details about HOW the intel was gathered. And this person alerted the press. May also have tipped the original source, likely Israeli.

So the Mossad (or whoever is pulling those ISIS info strings in Israel) gets concerned that their source may be compromised. Spooks around the globe may wonder if they can trust this US admin with anything seriously confidential... and Washington insiders start to talk about impeachement... Not that they can pull it off at this stage, but it's only fair game given the diva's incompetence, the Russian connection, and after 8 years of constant Obama bashing by the likes of Trump.
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:52 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

On “Fox & Friends” on Wednesday morning, one of the hosts, Brian Kilmeade, expressed disbelief. “If you write it down, does that mean it’s true?” he asked.

Well, does it?
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 17 May, 2017 02:56 pm
@layman,
No I am claiming Trump was attempting to influence Comey to let the investigation go. I didn't say influenced, I said influencing. Tenses makes a difference.
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:02 pm
Quote:
Some Republicans remain skeptical. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr, R-N.C., wondered why, if the memo exists, Comey had not informed Congress of such a conversation about ending an investigation.

“Somebody is going to have to do more than just have anonymous sources on this one for me to believe that there’s something there. "I actually believe the director might have told us that there'd been a request like that, and it was never mentioned by him," Burr said. "So somebody's going to have to do more than have anonymous sources on this one for me to believe that there's something there.

According to the NYT Comey's memo was distributed to top officials at the FBI, which surely would have included Deputy Director McCabe. McCabe testified, under oath, that no attempts to impede the russian investigation had been made by the Trump administration.

I don't get it, dammit! If' it's reported by the NYT via some anonymous source reading to it over the phone, and if it seems to hurt Trump, then, by God, it's TRUE! End of story.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:04 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

No I am claiming Trump was attempting to influence Comey to let the investigation go. I didn't say influenced, I said influencing. Tenses makes a difference.

Not is this case, no. What you meant to say (or should have said) is, as you have now said, that he was "attempting" to influence Comey.

No biggie, I was just funnin with ya.

But surely you must realize that you are suggesting that Comey is susceptible to "corrupt" influences in order to keep his job. If you are NOT suggesting that, then why are you suggesting that?
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:27 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Meanwhile there's plenty of hysteria and vitriol to go around — I guess the reason Mr. Hume only mentioned the MSM is because we're all used to hearing this level of apoplectic alarm emanating from the right wing media.

In the conservative media, an alternate story line has already taken shape. In this story, Mr. Comey, an embittered and opportunistic employee whom Mr. Trump fired, is now trying to redeem himself with retroactively released — and unseen — memos of his version of events. On “Fox & Friends” on Wednesday morning, one of the hosts, Brian Kilmeade, expressed disbelief. “If you write it down, does that mean it’s true?” he asked.

I like the suggestion that even the slightest doubt about Comey's "version of events" somehow amounts to "hysteria and vitriol" and "apoplectic alarm," eh?

Spoken like a true cheese-eater, sho nuff.

Truth is, Comey's "version of events," as so far revealed in this memo, presents no real problems for Trump. Unless you're a cheese-eater, that is. In that event it constituted irrebutable grounds for immediate impeachment!!!!!
jcboy

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:29 pm
The White House insisted it did not risk national security as Trump didn't even know the source of the intelligence he divulged." That's comforting! Seems to me the only people defending BenedickDonald are those like McConnell working to cover-up their involvement in the scandal or people soo stupid and blind they're a danger to themselves , and the country. Cool
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:37 pm
@layman,
No she's not suggesting that. Comey was the head of the FBI, with a Boy Scout reputation. It's ridiculous to assume Comey was susceptible to corruption just because Trump believes EVERYBODY has a price. Trump's MO when he can't pressure someone to do his bidding, he will bump it up to 'threatens' and if that doesn't work he try's to sue them into oblivion. Trump is still under the impression he acquired a new business, the United States business, and the concept of governing is not something he grasps.
layman

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:41 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

It's ridiculous to assume Comey was susceptible to corruption just because Trump believes EVERYBODY has a price.

What "price" did Trump offer Comey? How much did he offer to pay for his silence?
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:47 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I like the suggestion that even the slightest doubt about Comey's "version of events" somehow amounts to "hysteria and vitriol" and "apoplectic alarm," eh?

There's plenty of it around. I wasn't using the article as an example of right wing hysteria, just as a way to view it in context when we see it. Alex Jones. Ever hear of him?
ossobucotemp

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:48 pm
@Olivier5,
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a55098/trump-best-defense-doesnt-know-anything/
I see there was a Charles Pierce column yesterday, titled: It's Not Trump's Fault He Leaked to the Russians, He Just Doesn't Read

Well, who knows, but we've known he doesn't read, or hardly at all, or maybe he also doesn't listen, plus he has these blustery showoff attributes.

I think we've got trouble in River City..
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)