monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 15 May, 2017 07:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

what I pose is no more silly than unilateral ARmageddon. (I was kidding Gooey and oral were NOT).
Still not scared?

Why should I be scared?

Do you think one is secretly Mattis and the other McMasters?

Besides, with the path NK seems to currently be on, unless Kim makes a major course change, I think an armed conflict is inevitable. I certainly hope it doesn't involve nukes but if he uses one on SK or Japan, I can't imagine him not being nuked in return by the US. Possibly even by China.

The notion that Kim is too sane to launch a nuclear attack is wishful thinking, and he's not necessarily insane if he thinks the US is the cliche paper tiger and won't respond with nukes if he uses them first. Keep in mind that NK has repeatedly crossed the line with aggression towards SK and paid virtually no price at all. After the attack on Yeonpyeong Island in 2010 that killed four and wounded 18, SK responded by shelling two NK artillery bases. I don't know if any North Koreans were killed in the counter-attack (Not like there is a free press over there to report on such things), but I'm pretty certain that if there were, Kim father and son were hardly heartbroken. I'm sure they learned a lesson, but it wasn't Don't mess with South Korea and the US!

It's pretty clear that the military strategy in terms of NK has been to essentially absorb what you can and if you must respond deliver no more than what was received, because you never know what a crazy frickin Kim is likely to do. The responses have essentially been symbolic and not attempts, in any way, to seriously dissuade the North Koreans from attempting further, similar actions. You don't have to be totally insane to believe that if this is the extent to which your enemies will go when you attack them without provocation, they really, really don't want to go to war. It's certainly been said enough times that passivity in the face of aggression only encourages more and worse aggressive acts, and it's been shown enough times that this is true.

This is precisely why much greater efforts to stop NK from getting nukes in the first place was called for. Strikes against Pyongyang, military installations and suspected centers of nuclear weapon development might have resulted in a full scale war between NK and SK & the US and it would not have been pretty, but it would have been a spitball contest compared to exchanging nukes and if invasion with conventional weapons was enough to scare off the US the possibility of a nuclear attack must be paralyzing.

It not a simple matter at all, but it has only become more complex, difficult and dangerous with each new uncontested advance by NK.

Unless we somehow gain intelligence that a nuclear strike by NK is imminent, I don't see the US hitting them first and so everyone is sitting around with their fingers crossed that Kim is not insane enough to put his own fat ass, not to mention his whole nation, in mortal danger by doing something everyone believes is insane. If Seoul, Tokyo or Juno are reduced to lakes of molten slag it will be small consolation that Kim, his flunkies and millions of his oppressed subjects are wiped of the face of the earth. Despite what some folks here would like to see happen, all we can do is hope and pray that the situation and a few major cities don't blow up.

In the meantime, every thuggish strongman in the world is even more convinced that it is essential for him to develop or obtain at least two nukes. One to use in a test to prove he has them and the other to enable God knows what acts of aggression. The West couldn't even hold strong and derail Iran's efforts. A great many people in this country and throughout Europe actually believe the absurd notion that Obama's deal with the mullahs is going to keep Iran from becoming a nuclear power and threat.

Ten years is a long time! The theocratic thugs of the Iranian regime will either miraculously mature and voluntarily restrain themselves or the Iranian people will rise up and bring the bastards down! Look at what happened in 2011 when democratic reformers took to the streets to defy the tyranny of the mullahs and their thugs. President Obama was with these brave people all the way and provided impassioned moral support as well the leverage of the economic and military might of the most powerful nation on....whoops...wait a minute, er that's not quite what happened is it? Well, ten years is a long time and anything can happen right?
giujohn

Mon 15 May, 2017 07:49 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
He did not reveal the specific intelligence-gathering method, but he described how the Islamic State was pursuing elements of a specific plot and how much harm such an attack could cause under varying circumstances.

Russia would NEVER warn us of a potential terrorist attack, eh?

Quote:
The Congressional Joint Inquiry into 9-11 is now finished, but the findings that have been released fail to mention any warnings from foreign governments. The US mainstream media also has paid little attention to warnings from foreign governments.

Russian President Vladimir Putin publicly stated that he ordered his intelligence agencies to alert the US in the summer of 2001 that suicide pilots were training for attacks on US targets. [Fox News, 5/17/02] The head of Russian intelligence also stated, “We had clearly warned them” on several occasions, but they “did not pay the necessary attention.” [Agence France-Presse, 9/16/01] The Russian newspaper Izvestia claimed that Russian intelligence agents knew the participants in the attacks, and: “More than that, Moscow warned Washington about preparation for these actions a couple of weeks before they happened.” [Izvestia, 9/12/02]

http://www.historycommons.org/essay.jsp?article=essaytheytriedtowarnus

What??? Are you saying something positive about the Russians??? You must be a communist dupe Laymanovich. Let us all now disparage laymanovich for daring to tell the truth.
layman

Mon 15 May, 2017 07:58 pm
@giujohn,
The usual suspects known as the MSN are always looking to "create," ex nihilo, some tale which supposedly demonstrates how demonic and deranged Trump is, eh, John?

**** like this would never have been published at all if it were Obama doing it. Or, if it were published, it would only be to demonstrate how "considerate" and "humane" Obama was in trying to help innocent peoples avoid the consequences of terrorist attacks. The praise would be extreme.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 15 May, 2017 08:25 pm
McMaster, has openly disagreed with Trump in the past:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s newly appointed national security adviser has told his staff that Muslims who commit terrorist acts are perverting their religion, rejecting a key ideological view of other senior Trump advisers and signaling a potentially more moderate approach to the Islamic world.

The adviser, Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, told the staff of the National Security Council on Thursday, in his first “all hands” staff meeting, that the label “radical Islamic terrorism” was not helpful because terrorists are “un-Islamic,” according to people who were in the meeting.

That is a repudiation of the language regularly used by both the president and General McMaster’s predecessor, Michael T. Flynn, who resigned last week after admitting that he had misled Vice President Mike Pence and other officials about a phone call with a Russian diplomat

I'm sure the cheese-eaters cheered his "honesty" at the time. But, in this case, he, speaking from personal knowledge, McMaster doesn't confirm the MSN's lies, so his now he's just a liar, eh?

Quote:
Security Advisor McMaster furiously DENIES Trump leaked ‘highly classified’ information to the Russians

The story that came out tonight is false,' McMaster told a pack of reporters gathered outside the West Wing.

'The president did not disclose any military operations that were not already publicly known,' McMaster added.

'Two other senior officials who were present, including the secretary of state, remember the meeting the same way and have said so. Their on-the-record accounts should outweigh those of anonymous sources,' McMaster said in closely-watched remarks outside the White House, as reaction and concern rolled in from Capitol Hill.

'I was in the room — it didn’t happen,' he said, before abruptly ending his statement without taking questions.

Wrong, Buddy. Just ask any cheese-eater. Anonymous sources count for 50 times what a National Security Advisor says if it's a matter trying to slander Trump.

McMasters was speaking "on the record." Everyone knows his name, rank, serial number, and address. If he's lying he could be exposed. But exposure for lying can, and will, NEVER happen to people who just make **** up for the MSN to print while refusing to take responsibility for it.

That's just the way cheese-eaters like it, eh? More slander gets published as "news" that way.
layman

Mon 15 May, 2017 08:49 pm
The topic of "97%" of climate scientists agreeing on AGW came up in this thread recently. This article reveals just how bogus that claim is:

Quote:
Cooks ‘97% consensus’ disproven by a new peer reviewed paper showing major math errors

A major peer-reviewed paper by four senior researchers has exposed grave errors in an earlier paper in a new and unknown journal that had claimed a 97.1% scientific consensus that Man had caused at least half the 0.7 Cº global warming since 1950.

A tweet in President Obama’s name had assumed that the earlier, flawed paper, by John Cook and others, showed 97% endorsement of the notion that climate change is dangerous:

“Ninety-seven percent of scientists agree: #climate change is real, man-made and dangerous.”

The consensus Cook considered was the standard definition: that Man had caused most post-1950 warming. Even on this weaker definition the true consensus among published scientific papers is now demonstrated to be not 97.1%, as Cook had claimed, but only 0.3%.

The new paper by the leading climatologist Dr David Legates and his colleagues, published in the respected Science and Education journal, now in its 21st year of publication, reveals that Cook had not considered whether scientists and their published papers had said climate change was “dangerous”. Only 41 out of the 11,944 published climate papers Cook examined explicitly stated that Man caused most of the warming since 1950.

Dr Legates said: “It is astonishing that any journal could have published a paper claiming a 97% climate consensus when on the authors’ own analysis the true consensus was well below 1%.

“It is still more astonishing that the IPCC should claim 95% certainty about the climate consensus when so small a fraction of published papers explicitly endorse the consensus as the IPCC defines it.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/09/03/cooks-97-consensus-disproven-by-a-new-paper-showing-major-math-errors/

Not 1%. Not half a percent. Only 0.3 percent, i.e., about one out of 300. How does THAT become 97%, ya might ask yourself, eh?

Awfully polite to call that a "math error," instead of what is it: an outright fabrication by an AGW "activist" (aka liar).

Rather than tell the truth about what these 11.000+ papers Cook said he examined actually said, he just reported what he thought they must surely mean,, or want to say, even if they never said it.
giujohn

Mon 15 May, 2017 09:19 pm
Ya know what truth I know about the climate? Sunlight is a great disinfectant. And we can apply this Axiom to the lies the press tell about Trump and global warming... huh layman? Thanks for the sunlight man.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 15 May, 2017 09:29 pm
@layman,
Here's a few more expert comments on the bogus 97% claim:

Quote:
Dr Willie Soon, a distinguished solar physicist, quoted the late scientist-author Michael Crichton, who had said: “If it’s science, it isn’t consensus; if it’s consensus, it isn’t science.” He added: “There has been no global warming for almost 17 years. None of the ‘consensus’ computer models predicted that.
====
Dr William Briggs said: “In any survey such as Cook’s, it is essential to define the survey question very clearly. Yet Cook used three distinct definitions of climate consensus interchangeably. Also, he arbitrarily excluded about 8000 of the 12,000 papers in his sample on the unacceptable ground that they had expressed no opinion on the climate consensus. These artifices let him reach the unjustifiable conclusion that there was a 97.1% consensus when there was not

In fact, Cook’s paper provides the clearest available statistical evidence that there is scarcely any explicit support among scientists for the consensus that the IPCC, politicians, bureaucrats, academics and the media have so long and so falsely proclaimed. That was not the outcome Cook had hoped for, and it was not the outcome he had stated in his paper, but it was the outcome he had really found.”
====

an expert reviewer for the IPCC’s imminent Fifth Assessment Report, who found the errors in Cook’s data, said: “It may be that more than 0.3% of climate scientists think Man caused at least half the warming since 1950.

But only 0.3% of almost 12,000 published papers say so explicitly. No doubt many scientists consider it possible, as we do, that Man caused some warming, but not most warming.

“It is unscientific to assume that most scientists believe what they have neither said nor written.”

"Unscientific?" Claims made by warming alarmists? IMPOSSIBLE!

0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 15 May, 2017 09:55 pm
Remember how global warming was gonna cause all these super hurricanes ??? And then Florida didn't​ have any hurricanes for 11 years, 2005-2016?? Gotta love those computer models huh?
gungasnake

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:08 pm
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18446574_1153856718053991_7053145492749019_n.jpg?oh=c40fbdf3c82c6c6655277307a868a95e&oe=597D3963
MontereyJack

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:11 pm
@giujohn,
I checked the NOAA statistics and that's bullshit. F;lorida did in fact have hurricanes during that period and the number of hurricanes for the Atlantic basin, which is where Florida is, during that period averaged 7.2 per year, well above the average for the entire period we have records of 6.3. Anthony /watt is playing you for a fool.

And Willie Soon is not respected. He and Sally Baliunas published a paper ten years or so ago claiming the sun was doing it, based on a number of proxies (proxies are things which are thought to covary with something else). ignited a firestorm. The pscientitst s who had proposed those proxies were incensed because they said they were misused and did not in fact measure what Baliunas and So said theyh did what Baliunas and Son say they did. The ones what stick with me were using rainfall as a proxy for temperature, and ghey simply aren't. There were a flod of angry leters to the editor about Baliunas and Soon's misuse of data.
Furthermore, it's the deniers who claim there was a 17 year hiatus. Again, that;'s a misuse of date. Scientists have lon pointed to the upward trent of temps during that period. It comaes from a bulshit use of the el Nino emp from 197=8, which was the warmest el Nono on record. Loking at that as a cherypicked isolated data point is bogus. Ity comes, it goes a year later. Loking at the trent line is the valid scientific procedure and it's always ben upward. ?And of course sine 2010 temps have crept decisively upward, surpassing 1997, as it was obvious they would
Gez, gooey at least get someone who can actualy read..

MontereyJack

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:15 pm
@gungasnake,
The way the facts are going for him, it's gonna actualy be Trump's head on the wall. The fact is, in his hubris, he made a greater security breach with the distince possibility that his info outed a very highly placed intelligence asset of the US, which is something Hilary never did, in spite of Trump's lies. Lock him up.
glitterbag

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:18 pm
@giujohn,
Who knew you were a weather historian? You didn't even bother to google it??? The number of deaths as a result of Hurricanes in Florida: 2004 - 22, 2005 - 28, 2006 - 4, 2007 - 4 or 5, 2008 - 16..........and additional deaths every year since. But you already knew that and you probably know the number of deaths each year 2009 - 2016. They don't actually have to make first landfall in the State of Florida to be a huge problem.

Remember when people used to have a clue before they spouted nonsense? I guess you don't.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:23 pm
@layman,
Have you realized yet that McMaster
s very precisely worded "denial" nevcer dealth with what people were aghast at. Contrary to his assertion, it was never about military operations. It was about giving information which exposed a highly placed, very sensitive very secret US inteloligence asset to exposure and quite possibly elimination by USUS or Russia. He did, and that's why intelligence operatives aghast quickly warned the CIA and the FBI about his incredible blunder. Pointing it out how he once again stuck his fot in the kim che was not fake news, it was the real thing.
MontereyJack

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Damn, just wasted another hour and a half pointigt out the manifold error of their way to the blinkered, philistine pig ignorant deniers who infest this site when I could have ben binge watching "farscape" instead.
glitterbag

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
Do you think he actually believes this stuff or is just trying to be annoying. My husband 's hobby is weather tracking. Not the get in your car and look for tornado stuff, he has charted every hurricane since Hurricane Agnes. He experienced his first hurricane when Agnes came up the East Coast and over Raleigh, North Carolina. By the time Agnes got to Maryland it was considerably weakened.....we had only been back from Iceland for about 18 months and the storm st over our new house in Anne Arundel County. Storms were fierce in Iceland, but the hurricane was different. I remember heavy rain for a period, water actually running down the chimney and it was dark almost lie night. Then it cleared up, the sun was bright and the birds were chirping again. I went outside because it was suddenly so calm, then my mother said hat in a short while the winds would pick up again, but would come from the opposite direction. When the winds picked up and the rain started again I decided my mother was the smartest women in the world. I don't remember how long it went on but it was the tail end and said to be very weak. I remember the ferocity and would never want to be in the path of an actual direct hit.

0 Replies

layman

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Have you realized yet that McMaster
s very precisely worded "denial" nevcer dealth with what people were aghast at.

What I "realized," Jack, was that he clearly and emphatically said that "the story" (the one in Wapo, ya know?) was FALSE. Mentioning military operations doesn't change that. Did you "realize" that?

Quote:
The story that came out tonight is false,' McMaster told a pack of reporters gathered outside the West Wing.

'Two other senior officials who were present, including the secretary of state, remember the meeting the same way and have said so.

'I was in the room — it didn’t happen,' he said, before abruptly ending his statement without taking questions.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:53 pm
The designation of information as a restricted national security secret is considered part of the president’s constitutional powers as commander in chief. So Trump has the legal authority to disclose the information.

Might be that the original sources get harmed or are lost now, but that doesn't really matter: there aren't any legal problems with what he told the Russians.
oralloy

Tue 16 May, 2017 12:10 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
How about Hillary Huma and Tony (among others) violating title 18?

I'm not familiar with this. Is it something to do with the emails?
glitterbag

Tue 16 May, 2017 12:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Let's talk privitaly about this. It's about 10 past 2 AM and I need to sleep. So tomorrow.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 16 May, 2017 12:12 am
I love how the MSN is backtracking, all while trying to deny they're doing it:

Quote:
"At no time were intelligence sources or methods discussed," Mr McMaster said. "

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that Mr Trump discussed a "broad range of subjects" with the Russian foreign minister and ambassador, "among which were common efforts and threats regarding counter-terrorism. During that exchange the nature of specific threats were discussed, but they did not discuss sources, methods or military operations," Mr Tillerson said.

Dina Powell, White House deputy national security adviser for strategy, who also attended the meeting, said: "This story is false. The President only discussed the common threats that both countries faced."

=====

However, the Washington Post did not report that Mr Trump disclosed sources and intelligence-gathering methods. Instead, the article explained that Mr Trump revealed classified information from which sources and methods could be inferred.

That would be the case with any and all intelligence shared between any two countries, any time, ever (that "sources and methods could be inferred."). I wonder why we have never heard this bogus complaint before? We routinely share intelligence with countries all around the world (and vice versa).

They're trying to make it look like a crime to share the nature of the ISIS threat with our allies in fighting them. How ridiculous can ya get?

"the article explained that Mr Trump revealed classified information." Wrong. If the President discloses it then, ipso facto, it is NOT classified information.

The lengths they will go to try to make a perfectly legitimate matter look corrupt is amazing.

0 Replies