monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:18 am
@MontereyJack,
Trump couldn't and didn't win on his own merits (or rather lack thereof}. He had to have the artificial help of the Electoral College, the poison pill for today's voters, left in the Constitution by a few founding fathers who didn't believe in democracy and didn't trust the people to make the "right' decision

trum[ cpu;ldn
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:18 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
Are you disputing​ my figures gringo?

No, amigo, that's where we actually agree.

But I don't think you're seeing the significance of what looks to be a very small rise in average ocean temperature. We have evidence of melting glaciers, shrinking arctic ice, and thawing permafrost. This is actually occurring. In fact, diplomats from eight arctic nations are meeting today in Fairbanks to discuss the melting polar cap and what it means, along with seeking clarification from the USA on the Paris Accord. Anyway, here's my point: let's accept the small rise in average global temperature that you cite. If such a "small" increase can result in such significant melting and thawing, then it, by definition, is not small. And more troubling is that the shrinking of the cryosphere leads to greater accumulation of heat in the ocean as open water doesn't reflect sunlight the way ice and snow do. Some parts of the ocean have heated up more than others, and the land has warmed up even more. Relying on one average measurement obscures much of what is really going on.
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:24 am
@hightor,
And keep in mind that the difference in average temperature between the last ice age, when a mile thick sheet of ice covered much of the US, and today, is only about five to six degrees centigrade. It's GLOBAL average temp, not local,so it's not the same as looking out your window and trying to determine whether it's 19 or 20 degrees C out there. It's not evenly distributed.
blatham

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:50 am
Quote:
A U.S. far-right online activist credited with initially sharing on Twitter hacked emails from the French presidential campaign of centrist Emmanuel Macron is the latest conservative media figure to receive White House access from the Trump administration.

Jack Posobiec, a Washington-based writer at the Rebel Media, a Canadian online political and social news commentary platform, attended the daily press briefing on Tuesday and later broadcast video from the White House grounds with positive commentary on President Donald Trump’s abrupt firing of FBI Director James Comey.
Reuters
So that's all very normal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:02 am
@MontereyJack,
The USGS is using seismic reflection to map and model the increase of fresh water meltwater lying atop the salt water in the Arctic. Its rather significant that this fresh water prism is beginning to interfere with the streams like the Japan current and the Gulf Stream.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:03 am
Quote:
Josh Marshall‏Verified account @joshtpm 7h7 hours ago
SMH >>>>White House Says No Security Issues w Russian Photographers, also They Tricked Us About the Photographers https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-to-meet-russian-foreign-minister-at-the-white-house-as-moscows-alleged-election-interference-is-back-in-spotlight/2017/05/10/c6717e4c-34f3-11e7-b412-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_hDxZkUQAAe-DM.jpg:large
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:39 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
What the f@$ks wrong with this picture????

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/05/11/world/11diplo_web2/11diplo_web2-master768.jpg
I think the florid-faced guy in the middle trying to strike an intimidating posture doesn't look particularly healthy. The guy on the right could stand to lose a few chins.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 06:39 am
Quote:
Inside Trump’s anger and impatience — and his sudden decision to fire Comey

Every time FBI Director James B. Comey appeared in public, an ever-watchful President Trump grew increasingly agitated that the topic was the one that he was most desperate to avoid: Russia.

Trump had long questioned Comey’s loyalty and judgment, and was infuriated by what he viewed as the director’s lack of action in recent weeks on leaks from within the federal government. By last weekend, he had made up his mind: Comey had to go.

At his golf course in Bedminster, N.J., Trump groused over Comey’s latest congressional testimony, which he thought was “strange,” and grew impatient with what he viewed as his sanctimony, according to White House officials. Comey, Trump figured, was using the Russia probe to become a martyr.

Back at work Monday morning in Washington, Trump told Vice President Pence and several senior aides — Reince Priebus, Stephen K. Bannon and Donald McGahn, among others — that he was ready to move on Comey.

First, though, he wanted to hear from Attorney General Jeff Sessions, his trusted confidant who soon arrived at the White House for a scheduled meeting with the president. He brought along the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, to whom Comey reported directly.

When the conversation shifted to concerns about the FBI, which both men outlined in detail, the president gave Sessions and Rosenstein a directive: to explain in writing the case against Comey.

The pair quickly fulfilled the boss’s orders, and the next day Trump fired Comey — a breathtaking move that thrust a White House already accustomed to chaos into a new level of tumult, one that has legal as well as political consequences.

The stated rationale for Comey’s firing delivered Wednesday by principal deputy White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was that he had committed “atrocities” in overseeing the FBI’s probe into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server as secretary of state, hurting morale in the bureau and compromising public trust.

“He wasn’t doing a good job,” Trump told reporters Wednesday. “Very simple. He wasn’t doing a good job.”

But the private accounts of more than 30 officials at the White House, the Justice Department, the FBI and on Capitol Hill, as well as Trump confidants and other senior Republicans, paint a conflicting narrative centered on the president’s brewing personal animus toward Comey. Many of those interviewed spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to candidly discuss internal deliberations.

Trump was angry that Comey would not support his baseless claim that President Barack Obama had his campaign offices wiretapped. Trump was frustrated when Comey revealed in Senate testimony the breadth of the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s effort to sway the 2016 U.S. presidential election. And he fumed that Comey was giving too much attention to the Russia probe and not enough to investigating leaks to journalists.

The known actions that led to Comey’s dismissal raise as many questions as answers. Why was Sessions involved in discussions about the fate of the man leading the FBI’s Russia investigation, after having recused himself from the probe because he had falsely denied under oath his own past communications with the Russian ambassador?

Why had Trump discussed the Russia probe with the FBI director three times, as he claimed in his letter dismissing Comey, which could have been a violation of Justice Department policies that ongoing investigations generally are not to be discussed with White House officials.

And how much was the timing of Trump’s decision shaped by events spiraling out of his control — such as Monday’s testimony about Russian interference by former acting attorney general Sally Yates, or the fact that Comey last week requested more resources from the Justice Department to expand the FBI’s Russia probe?

In the weeks leading up to Comey’s firing, Trump administration officials had repeatedly urged the FBI to more aggressively pursue leak investigations, according to people familiar with the discussions. Administration officials sometimes sought to push the FBI to prioritize leak probes over the Russia interference case, and at other times urged the bureau to investigate disclosures of information that was not classified or highly sensitive and therefore did not constitute crimes, these people said.

Over time, administration officials grew increasingly dissatisfied with the FBI’s actions on that front. Comey’s appearances at congressional hearings caused even more tension between the White House and FBI, as Trump administration officials were angered that the director’s statements increased, rather than diminished, public attention on the Russia probe, officials said.

In his Tuesday letter dismissing Comey, Trump wrote: “I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation.” People familiar with the matter said that statement is not accurate, although they would not say how it was inaccurate. FBI officials declined to comment on the statement, and a White House official refused to discuss conversations between Trump and Comey.

‘Essentially declared war’

Within the Justice Department and the FBI, the firing of Comey has left raw anger, and some fear, according to multiple officials. Thomas O’Connor, the president of the FBI Agents Association, called Comey’s firing “a gut punch. We didn’t see it coming, and we don’t think Director Comey did anything that would lead to this.’’

Many employees said they were furious about the firing, saying the circumstances of his dismissal did more damage to the FBI’s independence than anything Comey did in his three-plus years in the job.

One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.

While Trump and his aides sought to justify Comey’s firing, the now-canned FBI director, back from a work trip to Los Angeles, kept a low profile. He was observed puttering in his yard at his home in Northern Virginia on Wednesday.

In a message to FBI staff late Wednesday, Comey wrote: “I have long believed that a President can fire an FBI Director for any reason, or for no reason at all. I’m not going to spend time on the decision or the way it was executed. I hope you won’t either. It is done, and I will be fine, although I will miss you and the mission deeply.

More at WP.

giujohn

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:02 am
@glitterbag,
I would be interested to have the disengenuous devisive crybaby little snow flakes to produce even a scintilla of proof that the Russians influenced the 2016 election.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:15 am
Isn't it interesting how Trump plays the left and the media like a master puppeteer? He wants them to jump, he says jump and they jump for weeks.
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:18 am
@McGentrix,
https://bexlucyizalida.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/black-mirror-s02e03-the-waldo-moment-l-goxye_.png
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:37 am
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEh_1BcSrfMapLeat0tQ0I8-5-qSZsQguzy9ZJ43p_I/edit

Quote:
NO RUSSIA DIDN’T MEDDLE IN THE ELECTION. SANDERS, CLINTON AND CNN ARE FULL OF ****
giujohn

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:38 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Are you disputing​ my figures gringo?

No, amigo, that's where we actually agree.

But I don't think you're seeing the significance of what looks to be a very small rise in average ocean temperature. We have evidence of melting glaciers, shrinking arctic ice, and thawing permafrost. This is actually occurring. In fact, diplomats from eight arctic nations are meeting today in Fairbanks to discuss the melting polar cap and what it means, along with seeking clarification from the USA on the Paris Accord. Anyway, here's my point: let's accept the small rise in average global temperature that you cite. If such a "small" increase can result in such significant melting and thawing, then it, by definition, is not small. And more troubling is that the shrinking of the cryosphere leads to greater accumulation of heat in the ocean as open water doesn't reflect sunlight the way ice and snow do. Some parts of the ocean have heated up more than others, and the land has warmed up even more. Relying on one average measurement obscures much of what is really going on.

Fear not Chico, the Earth has been warming and cooling long before us and will continue to do so after we're gone. Man's contribution is miniscule. Look to the sun, the real driver of the Earth's climate. And with another Maunder minimum on the horizon we might just be thankful for that 1 degree rise you alarmists claim man is responsible for.
Olivier5

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:41 am
@gungasnake,
If you state it two thousand and two times, it's gona become true!
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:57 am
@McGentrix,
I had no idea the left composed of nearly 60% of the people. Even Rasmussen has Trump disapproval level at 53% today.

RCP
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 08:29 am
@giujohn,
The sun's output over the last solar cycle, when the temp rise has been most apparentt, declined to the level of a century ago (a slight decline, but a decline). No, it's not the sun. And NO indication another Maunder minimum is on the way. Bullshit "science" on your part, gooey.
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 08:38 am
@gungasnake,
Lotta arm waving from whoever unsourced clearly Russia-biased source produced that, Comey clearly had a lot more information and the ivestigaation needed more money to follow the trail, but Trump panicked and tried to pull the plug to protect his own ass. And no one is buying it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 08:38 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I had no idea the left composed of nearly 60% of the people. Even Rasmussen has Trump disapproval level at 53% today.

RCP

I am referring to the press and various politico talking points the last 2 days. Have you heard anything about troop movement into Afghanistan or Executive orders recently passed?

Didn't think so. That's because of that one paragraph that people like Matt Lauer won't let go of. It's fun to watch from my p.o.v....
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 08:41 am
@McGentrix,
When the "president" starts interfering with and obstructing federal investigations to try to cover his own ass, that's news. Lock him up.
McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 08:57 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

When the President starts interfering with and obstructing federal investigations to try to cover his own ass, that's news. Lock him up.

I agree. If that happens, let me know.