monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:03 am
@McGentrix,
Just did. Don't be naïve. { I notice you edited my post and tried to pass it off as my post. That's dishonest}.
McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:08 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Just did. Don't be naïve.

Nonsense. Your falling for the propaganda man, think for yourself like I've seen you do in the past. As I stated previously, Comey does not do investigations. Any on going investigations will continue happening and any investigations that are not ongoing will most likely continue not going on.
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:27 am
@McGentrix,
As I said, don't be naïve. Clearly a Trump attempt to blunt the investigation and bring it under his control so he can kill it.
McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:31 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

As I said, don't be naïve. Clearly a Trump attempt to blunt the investigation and bring it under his control so he can kill it.

Nah. This is Trump pulling strings and watching the puppets dance.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:38 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Do you think that Trump has the right to fire Comey?
Baldimo

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:40 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
TO REPEAT FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME, SINCE YOU SEEM UNABLE TO PROCESS THE TRUTH. TRUMP LOST THE ELECTION BY NEARLY THREE MILLION VOTES. THOSE SURE LOOK AND SOUND LIKE NAZI RALLIES IN THE THIRTIES.

Shouting doesn't make you right, in fact your "truth" is a bunch of BS. It doesn't matter if she won the popular vote, the Presidential race has NEVER been decided by the popular vote. If she didn't get 270 votes in the Electoral College she didn't win the election, you really need to give up on this silly thought that she won, it isn't healthy.
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:42 am
@McGentrix,
oh, he has the right, right enough. But when he exercises that right in order to protect his own ass from what the FBI seems in the process of discovering, he's going to reap the whirlwind, and deservedly so. This really does have the appearance of obstructing a federal investigation, which I suspect is a felony and therefore an impeachable offense..
MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:44 am
@Baldimo,
If you will notice, the snakkke's post took up five or six times the space my post did., Caps are a small attempt to redress that imbalance.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:48 am
@Baldimo,
Posting pix of Trump crowds and somehow implying they deny the FACT that the election repudiated his agenda is the BS. Despite the antidemocratic Electoral Collegfe, the people DID NOT support Trump, and that is undeniable.
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:54 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.

No news here, but this excerpt does serve to make a few relevant points.

1.An investigation, and all the accumulated evidence it has uncovered, does not suddenly end and disappear if one man (the director) is replaced by (for now) the deputy director.

2. Trump surely knew that this kind of backlash was likely and if his only goal was to have an "ally" in charge of the russian investigation, he would have stuck with Comey (who had assured him that he was not being investigated). Comey was a republican, his replacement is a fanatical democrat whose wife received over $1.3 million from democratic donors.

3. The "intelligence" community can be motivated by spite and partisan motivations--again, nothing new.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 09:56 am
@MontereyJack,
After reading the WP, I think the Comey firing was coming for a good while, starting when Comey didn't back Trump's accusations of Obama wiretapping him and the fact Comey has kept up the Russian investigation instead of turning the whole thing into an investigation into leaks to the media. Not only was Comey not backing off, but like you said was escalating it by a request for more money and resources. Apparently Trump's anger kept building and he decided to just do it and have Sessions and the deputy AG write it up.

Speaking of the deputy AG:

Rosenstein threatened to quit (TPM)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 11 May, 2017 10:23 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Posting pix of Trump crowds and somehow implying they deny the FACT that the election repudiated his agenda is the BS.

I think the whole size comparison argument to be childish. Laughing The media reported on Clinton and Sanders crowd sizes every chance they got, there was little mention of Trump crowd sizes. Don't forget they hardly mentioned any other candidates and that includes the one I voted for, Gary Johnson. In fact the news media has a tendcy to ignore most 3rd party candidates, there is hope that will come to a halt in the next election cycle.

Quote:
Despite the antidemocratic Electoral Collegfe, the people DID NOT support Trump, and that is undeniable.

It's only anti-democratic because your chosen candidate didn't win. We are a republic at the Federal level anyways, the people have no direct votes on anything, we are a democracy at the state and local level and much less a Representative Republic. If you are so pro-democracy, then you surly must believe that the people should have more control over their State budgets. You should really support a TABOR like law in your state. It's really nice when the politicians have to go to the people and ask them to raise their taxes.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:05 am
Andrew McCabe testified that the Russia investigation was “highly significant” and that Comey was well-respected in the bureau. (VOX)

Quote:
Before his firing, FBI Director James Comey had been set to testify at a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on global threats Thursday morning. So the new acting FBI director, Andrew McCabe — who had been Comey’s deputy and is now in charge while the administration looks for a permanent replacement — stepped in instead.

Naturally, McCabe was asked several questions about the FBI’s Russia investigation and about Comey’s firing. And on several specifics, his answers contradicted the story the White House has been telling, and suggested the Russia probe is still full steam ahead, for now at least.

On Wednesday, White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders claimed the Russia investigation was “probably one of the smallest things” the FBI had “going on their plate.” When asked about that comment, McCabe wouldn’t agree. “We consider it to be a highly significant investigation,” he said instead.

Sanders also said that the White House would “love” for the investigation “to be completed so that we can all move on.” But McCabe signaled he had no intention of doing so. “It is my opinion and belief that the FBI will continue to pursue this investigation vigorously and completely,” he testified.

The administration has also claimed that rank-and-file FBI agents had lost confidence in Comey. Perhaps unsurprisingly (given that Comey was his boss), McCabe disputed that. “Director Comey enjoyed broad support within the FBI and still does to this day,” he said. “I can confidently tell you that the majority, the vast majority of FBI employees, enjoyed a deep and positive connection to Director Comey.”

McCabe also maintained that in his view, the Russia investigation was not being deprived of needed resources. Some press reports had suggested that Comey had asked for more resources for the investigation before he was fired, but McCabe said he wasn’t aware of that and it didn’t fit with what he knew about how those requests were made. “I believe we have the adequate resources to do it, and I know that we have resourced that investigation adequately," he testified.

And overall, McCabe maintained that the investigation would continue despite Comey’s dismissal. “There has been no effort to impede our investigation to date. Quite simply put, sir, you cannot stop the men and women of the FBI from doing the right thing, from protecting the American people, from upholding the Constitution,” he said.

By around noon, however, the action had moved away from the public hearing, as Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein — who wrote the letter criticizing Comey that the White House cited in the firing — arrived on Capitol Hill to meet with senators in private.

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:21 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
McCabe also maintained that in his view, the Russia investigation was not being deprived of needed resources. Some press reports had suggested that Comey had asked for more resources for the investigation before he was fired, but McCabe said he wasn’t aware of that and it didn’t fit with what he knew about how those requests were made. “I believe we have the adequate resources to do it, and I know that we have resourced that investigation adequately," he testified.

What!? That's not possible! Now we have a new liar as the FBI director.

When the NYT publishes an assertion from an anonymous source who is "familiar with the situation," then, by God, we KNOW the truth. It can't be hidden or denied after that exemplary display of investigative journalism.
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:28 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
There has been no effort to impede our investigation to date. Quite simply put, sir, you cannot stop the men and women of the FBI from doing the right thing, from protecting the American people, from upholding the Constitution,” he said.

Yet another god-damned lie, eh? Every media outlet I've seen has assured me that firing Comey will end the FBI's investigation and that's the reason he was fired. EVERY one! Again, when we all KNOW the truth, it's stupid to lie about it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:30 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

When the NYT publishes an assertion from an anonymous source who is "familiar with the situation," then, by God, we KNOW the truth. It can't be hidden or denied after that exemplary display of investigative journalism.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:39 am
Quote:
Acting FBI chief declines to say if Trump is under investigation

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The man who took over from ousted FBI Director James Comey declined to say on Thursday whether he ever heard Comey tell Donald Trump that the president was not a target of an investigation into possible collusion between Russia and Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.

In testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, acting FBI director Andrew McCabe also pledged that he would inform the panel of any effort by the White House or others to interfere with the agency's probe into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

Reuters
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:40 am
Just gonna leave this here for a bit...
ehBeth wrote:

giujohn wrote:

She can't pick another director he has a 10-year term he can only be removed for cause either by the president or congress I say again for cause.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-prakash-bamzai-how-independent-is-the-fbi-director-20161102-story.html

Quote:
The Constitution says Comey, like all FBI directors, is something like an “at will” employee.

Quote:
That’s how the provision’s chief congressional sponsor, Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W. Va.), understood the statute when the 10-year term was enacted in 1976. He observed that it imposed “no limitation on the constitutional power of the president,” who can remove the FBI director “at any time, and for any reason that the president sees fit.” And it’s how the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit recently interpreted the statute. The court said (albeit in passing in a decision on another issue) that, under Supreme Court precedent “such tenure provisions do not prevent the president from removing at will a director at any time during the director’s tenure.”

Byrd’s understanding, and the Court of Appeals’, is based on the constitutional principle, derived from Article II, Section 1, that the president supervises the executive branch of the government

Quote:
The president’s power in this regard is not a mere legal technicality but rather a central part of our constitutional framework. Every four years, the nation elects a chief executive, based on his or her platform, which may include promises about how the executive branch will direct its limited law enforcement resources. Those elections and promises would be a meaningless charade if an incoming president could not remove subordinates who refused to carry out the platform chosen by the people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Sessions

Quote:
Although Sessions denied that he had acted improperly, he was pressured to resign in early July, with some suggesting that President Clinton was giving Sessions the chance to step down in a dignified manner. Sessions refused, saying that he had done nothing wrong, and insisted on staying in office until his successor was confirmed. As a result, President Clinton dismissed Sessions on July 19, 1993. Sessions was five and a half years into a ten-year term as FBI director; however, the holder of this post serves at the pleasure of the President.[7]

________

http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/james-comey-fired-fbi-director-hillary-clinton-email-private-server-influence-election/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2002/06/how_do_you_dump_the_fbi_director.html

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2016/10/how-independent-is-the-fbis-director/

Quote:
It is sometimes assumed that the President can oust an FBI director only “for cause” – that is, for some misconduct in office. But, as a Congressional Research Service study of the director’s office pointed out two years ago, “there are no statutory conditions on the President’s authority to remove the FBI director.”

The constitutional reality is that, if a government official is clearly placed within the Executive Branch, that official serves at the pleasure of the President, and can be fired “at will.” That history has had a recent illustration: earlier this month, the federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., struck down part of a law by which Congress created a single director to lead the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau – a law that specified that the director could be removed by the President only “for cause.”

The appeals court simply deleted that phrase from the law, thus making the agency’s head subject to being fired by the President for any reason, or no reason at all.

revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:40 am
@layman,
McCabe said he wasn't aware, not that Comey didn't make such a request. So the request could have been made and McCabe just wasn't aware of it.

Rather pathetic try in any event, given everything else.
giujohn

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:55 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

The sun's output over the last solar cycle, when the temp rise has been most apparentt, declined to the level of a century ago (a slight decline, but a decline). No, it's not the sun. And NO indication another Maunder minimum is on the way. Bullshit "science" on your part, gooey.

It's an 11 year cycle nothing you can do to stop it...it's coming.