and then they'll chase apostates..
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Sun 7 May, 2017 01:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

and then they'll chase apostates..

Shades of the Reformation, I watched several episodes of The Tudors last night. Very unsettling.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 7 May, 2017 01:35 pm
So, anybody know if Herr Trump has phoned in his congrats to the new French President????
jcboy

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:05 pm
@glitterbag,
Razz

At least France didn't make the mistake like America and had enough sense to Elect someone decent and not a Chump like Trump! Putin is probably pissed his Puppet Le Pen didn't win unlike his bitch Trump, it's a great night in France!

Emmanuel Macron Declared Next French President In Early Vote Counts

Quote:
France has a new president. Emmanuel Macron – an independent centrist who has never held elected office – has won a resounding victory over far-right, nationalist Marine Le Pen in the most important French presidential race in decades, according to early vote counts by the French Interior Ministry.

In early returns, Macron had won an estimated 65 percent of the vote to Le Pen's nearly 35 percent, according to the French Interior Ministry. Le Pen has already called to congratulate Macron and conceded defeat to a gathering of her supporters in Paris.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/05/07/ap_17127373789693-9864f221d106e826646d186c5b7284046fe6ef42-s400-c85.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:08 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Will, maybe that's because you don't live in Ireland or the Middle East.
Olivier5

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Trump said he was eager to work with Macron, in a congratulation tweet.

Just seen Macron's acceptance speech. Awesome. This guy is gifted.
blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Just like Geert Wilders.
It's dangerous nonsense in both cases.

I gather you are referring to Le Pen rather than Frye.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:31 pm
@blatham,
I suppose that's cute?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
all those headlines about the failed experiment that was America seem to be coming true
quite a shame but maybe not a surprise

I was thinking about that yesterday. While many Americans find it easy to imagine or even conclude that the EU is or could be a failed experiment, entertaining the possibility that this might be or could be the case with the US itself is something like sacrilege. The abiding presumption seems to be that there is some magical quality to the constitution or to the people and culture.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:37 pm
@Olivier5,
Eloquence doesn't guarantee competence.

I hope he turns out to be a great leader for France. The French people certainly need one.

He's going to have turn things around in France. Le Pen isn't going away.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes. Sanity. So nice, for a change.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It would have been interesting if she won.

Just a lot more gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands and more Snowflakes eating more Prozac.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:41 pm
@blatham,
Considering that from a temporal standpoint the EU can still be considered an "experiment," after more than two centuries of phenomenal success, America can hardly be considered an "experiment."

This doesn't mean the US can't go down the crapper, but it wouldn't be because the basic principles upon which it was based have failed, but rather that they have be distorted.
Lash

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:44 pm
@blatham,
Not anymore, which was why some of us were desperate to get Bernie Sanders in office. He was the only one who'd been reporting the incremental decline as it was happening, and fighting it tooth and nail by himself.

Every stupid move that led us to this horrible position has an accompanying YouTube video of Bernie Sanders warning us about it.

The world is embroiled in a neoliberal mess created by greed. No country is immune.

0 Replies

Lash

Sun 7 May, 2017 02:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Considering that from a temporal standpoint the EU can still be considered an "experiment," after more than two centuries of phenomenal success, America can hardly be considered an "experiment."

This doesn't mean the US can't go down the crapper, but it wouldn't be because the basic principles upon which it was based have failed, but rather that they have be distorted.

Absolutely.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 03:06 pm
@blatham,
Interesting that two Canadians are having this discussion.

Geopolitical penis envy?
blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 03:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Gee, I haven't heard the word blasphemy in years and years. I guess I'm lucky.
Such a despicable word and concept. Digging around a bit I found this graph on frequency of use of the word over time. Downward trend from about 1825 until early 1980s where it has been trending up again since that point. Graph here
And for this blessed return of the word "blasphemy", I think we can give thanks to the rise of Reagan and the religious right. Aren't we all so fortunate.
blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 03:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I'm not sure that makes any sense. If sufficient "distortion" happens then the original design is clearly insufficient.